Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Egoistic - how often the devs update it?

I was thinking of buying Egoistic, but I don’t wanna pull the trigger of almost £30 if the devs are not updating it frequently. I’m being slightly negative because recently I bought a few apps that had or have quickly became abandonware. Also, the app has been around for awhile, does any other app do similar re-slicing on the fly? Cheers

Comments

• Maybe Virayn ReSlice, but Egoist is a super app. It’s genuine desktop quality, the slice engine is very powerful and the effect section is like a cut down Effectrix. Recently updated for ios11. Go for it.

• edited October 2017

Egoist is worth it for sure. The devs are in iOS for real and take it seriously.

If it were between Egoist and BM3 though (a somewhat different and deeper beast requiring more attention) I would say BM3 first but Egoist is awesome, best as a VST with multiple instances though.

• @gsm909 said:
    Maybe Virayn ReSlice, but Egoist is a super app. It’s genuine desktop quality, the slice engine is very powerful and the effect section is like a cut down Effectrix. Recently updated for ios11. Go for it.

Thanks, will do.

• @AudioGus said:
    Egoist is worth it for sure. The devs are in iOS for real and take it seriously.

I mean, it does look amazing. I have to say, it would be even better (for my purposes) if I was able to replace bass and drum module with another slicer :)

• I count 12 updates since release from the appshopper website, the latest update was 3 weeks ago. Don't think you need to be worried!

I have Reslice too and would really hate to have to choose between them, both amazing apps and not much overlap apart from they both slice up sounds...

• @zhoe said:
    I was thinking of buying Egoistic, but I don’t wanna pull the trigger of almost £30 if the devs are not updating it frequently. I’m being slightly negative because recently I bought a few apps that had or have quickly became abandonware. Also, the app has been around for awhile, does any other app do similar re-slicing on the fly? Cheers

SugarBytes don't often update apps for the sake of adding new features, but generally they keep them working.

I love Egoist, and SugarBytes are a pretty safe pair of hands so I'd buy it a gain.

• @gsm909 said:
    Maybe Virayn ReSlice, but Egoist is a super app. It’s genuine desktop quality, the slice engine is very powerful and the effect section is like a cut down Effectrix. Recently updated for ios11. Go for it.

But just checked ReSlice, and that is probably what I need, because I don't really need bass and drum module on Egoist. Do you think they're pretty much the same in a slicing sense? Does ReSlice support Ableton, AUM, audiobus etc, do you know? Many thanks

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I count 12 updates since release from the appshopper website, the latest update was 3 weeks ago. Don't think you need to be worried!

I have Reslice too and would really hate to have to choose between them, both amazing apps and not much overlap apart from they both slice up sounds...

So, would you reckon they both slice up sound in a similar way? The thing is, I don't really need drum/bass thing from Egoist, since I use audiobus and use other apps for that...

• @zhoe said:

@AudioGus said:

I mean, it does look amazing. I have to say, it would be even better (for my purposes) if I was able to replace bass and drum module with another slicer :)

The bass synth in there sounds damn good, egoist really shines when you setup a midi keyboard. Actually the same is true of Reslice, which also works on the iPhone.

• I like Reslice, but I find the sound quality a bit better with Egoist, and I enjoy having the drum and bass stuff integrated. Plus Egoist's randomisers can throw up some interesting things.

Then again Reslice is AU.

Tricky to choose really, they do similar things but in a different way, and with different results.

• Egoist has nice quick midi learn.. KRFT controlling It is snazzy,

• edited October 2017

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I count 12 updates since release from the appshopper website, the latest update was 3 weeks ago. Don't think you need to be worried!

So, would you reckon they both slice up sound in a similar way? The thing is, I don't really need drum/bass thing from Egoist, since I use audiobus and use other apps for that...

Egoist really is more than the sum of its parts, great slicer, effects and the drums/bass have a very nifty and powerful sequencer. I feel it's meant as a performance tool.

There is a 5 part tutorial on YouTube, its for the desktop version and made by sugarbytes, watching those should help you decide if it's for you.

Reslice has a 4 part arpeggiator and the transient detection is superb, I enjoy recording household objects, turning all the arpeggiators on seeing what will happen.

I couldn't be without either :)

• edited October 2017

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

Egoist really is the sum of its parts, great slicer, effects and the drums/bass have a very nifty and powerful sequencer. I feel it's meant as a performance tool.

Reslice has a 4 part arpeggiator and the transient detection is superb, I enjoy recording household objects, turning all the arpeggiators on seeing what will happen.

I couldn't be without either :)

This is not helping! ;)))) I am kidding, great points, thanks.... I guess I will end up buying both in the end. Love the randomiser on Egoist, but I also need the transient detection...:(

• SugarBytes have their apps on at sale prices every so often- you may want to hang off and try something else for a while. £30 does sound rather steep.
    Have you had a look at Sector yet?

• @AudioGus said:
    Egoist has nice quick midi learn.. KRFT controlling It is snazzy,

cool!

• Egoist can't sample , keep that in mind. Same with ReSlice as AU (but it samples as IAA and the presets are shared on AU instances ).
    Both are great tools

• @MonzoPro said:
    I like Reslice, but I find the sound quality a bit better with Egoist, and I enjoy having the drum and bass stuff integrated. Plus Egoist's randomisers can throw up some interesting things.

Then again Reslice is AU.

Tricky to choose really, they do similar things but in a different way, and with different results.

Thanks

• @Korakios said:
    Egoist can't sample , keep that in mind. Same with ReSlice as AU (but it samples as IAA and the presets are shared on AU instances ).
    Both are great tools

Reslice can sample as a standalone?

• @zhoe said:

@Korakios said:
    Egoist can't sample , keep that in mind. Same with ReSlice as AU (but it samples as IAA and the presets are shared on AU instances ).
    Both are great tools

Yep

• @robosardine said:
    SugarBytes have their apps on at sale prices every so often- you may want to hang off and try something else for a while. £30 does sound rather steep.
    Have you had a look at Sector yet?

I have Sector, great app for what it does, but I found its layout a slightly off putting, for some reason.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@zhoe said:

@Korakios said:
    Both are great tools

Yep

Excellent. I might try ReSlice first, actually.

• I'm assuming you already have Samplr? If not you have some tough choices to make!

• > Reslice has a 4 part arpeggiator and the transient detection is superb, I enjoy recording household objects, turning all the arpeggiators on seeing what will happen.

this

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    I'm assuming you already have Samplr? If not you have some tough choices to make!

Yes, one of my fav apps! I love the idea that you can really play them live, because, I would like to slightly change the way I produce - and - play music. In other words, to have more organic, more hands on ability to change things on the fly. Samplr is just amazing. Would love if their devs add some export tracks option...sometimes I really need it.

• OK, I just bought ReSlice...let's see if I'm going to need Egoist in a month time...thanks everyone, all great and useful comments!

• @zhoe said:
    OK, I just bought ReSlice...let's see if I'm going to need Egoist in a month time...thanks everyone, all great and useful comments!

At some point BM3 is likely to get transient detection (it was in the beta) and will have more of an autoslicer thing going on, with multiple banks etc. so be sure to keep that on your radar too.

• @AudioGus said:

@zhoe said:
    OK, I just bought ReSlice...let's see if I'm going to need Egoist in a month time...thanks everyone, all great and useful comments!

At some point BM3 is likely to get transient detection (it was in the beta) and will have more of an autoslicer thing going on, with multiple banks etc. so be sure to keep that on your radar too.

Yeah, I love the new BM3. Would be great if they add transient detection. Cheers

• ReSlice is a good starter drug of the two options. Eventually you'll be hitting the Egoist (maybe wait for the annual sale?) because as someone else said it's more than the sum of its parts. I keep thinking BM3 will supplant it because it's deeper/more flexible, but I continue to use Egoist more with BM3 (and even ReSlice too in some cases). Between these three, I haven't opened Samplr in months.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @lukesleepwalker said:
    ReSlice is a good starter drug of the two options. Eventually you'll be hitting the Egoist (maybe wait for the annual sale?) because as someone else said it's more than the sum of its parts. I keep thinking BM3 will supplant it because it's deeper/more flexible, but I continue to use Egoist more with BM3 (and even ReSlice too in some cases). Between these three, I haven't opened Samplr in months.

Good point. BM3 is definitely a center piece if you're into serious sampling, but I like the intuitiveness and quickness of the Samplr. As well as its limitations. I've been playing with ReSlice the last 15mins..and it is great, but I see your point. All I am trying to achieve is to create a set up so I can use it as a performance tool, but in a more organic way (sample manipulations in real time while the sequencer is running). Trying to get outta same ol' loops going nowhere, so to speak.