Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi from iPhone to iPad, how to?

Hi.
noob and simple question sorry but how do you connect your iPhone to send midi over to your iPad.
I'm trying to send midi from my iPhone to Korg Gadget on the iPad. On the iPhone I use apps like Soundprism, Thumbjam, Navichord, Chordpolyapp, Arpeggionome, Fingertip Maestro...

Just couldnt figurate a simple way to do that...
camera kit, bluetooth, wifi? what's the most straight forward way?

Comments

• I use Bluetooth with Midimittr.

• edited October 2017

Thanks. Does Bluetooth midi work with any app?
    Doesn't seem to work for me :/ in the Cllient tab, Midimittr on my iphone keeps looking for Bletooth LE midi devices but can't pick up my ipad or Gadget. My Iphone OS is 9.3.2

• If you want to send MIDI from your phone to your iPad you need to use the ‘advertise’ feature in Midimittr. The receiving app needs to support BT MIDI of course, but most do. Alternatively you can use AUM to receive the MIDI and forward it to any CorrMIDI compatible app.

• thanks a lot, it is working now, iphone midi apps send midi to Gadget :smiley:

sadly doesn't work between My iPhone and my Macbook but this might be because I have an old Mac OS (10.9.5) for bluetooth to connect, I suppose.
    Guess I'll keep using Midimux for receiving midi on the computer.
    thanks again!!!

• You could try this one with your old MacBook....

Apollo MIDI Controller by Secret Base Design
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/apollo-midi-controller/id720942905?mt=8

• edited October 2017

@stelvio said:
    sadly doesn't work between My iPhone and my Macbook but this might be because I have an old Mac OS (10.9.5) for bluetooth to connect, I suppose.

You have to use Apple's Audio Midi setup on the mac and in the Midi setup window you should see a Blue Tooth device which you can activate to advertise BT Midi from the mac or see it being advertised from your device. I don't use any other Midi app to be the go between. Apps like ChordPolyPad, Quantum etc have BT midi built into them, you just have to activate/advertise in the iOS app's Midi setup.
    Once you have a BT midi connection established between computer and iOS device other apps may be able to use this connection without any further setup. You will have to deal with making sure Midi channels are setup correctly to send midi where you want it to go and make sure the app on the Mac is set up to receive MIDI from BT input.

Hope that helps!

• Midiflow and Midifire apps could be used this way too via bluetooth. Or an iconnectaudio4 could do it with cables. :)

• thanks everyone!
    @yowza thanks, do you know if my old 10.9.5 Mac OS and Ableton 9.5 can handle Bluetooth midi this way?

• @stelvio said:
    thanks everyone!
    @yowza thanks, do you know if my old 10.9.5 Mac OS and Ableton 9.5 can handle Bluetooth midi this way?

Not sure. Open up Audio Midi setup and try it! If you see a Blue Tooth module in the Midi window then I would say there's a good chance. I am using Sierra (10.12 ?) and I know it worked on El Capitan (10.11) but I don't have anything older to test it with.

• edited October 2017

@stelvio said:
    thanks everyone!
    yowza thanks, do you know if my old 10.9.5 Mac OS and Ableton 9.5 can handle Bluetooth midi this way?

I think it was introduced on yosemite, but not 100% sure. Also if your laptop is too old to upgrade to yosemite, it doesent most likely have bluetooth LE, but some old crappy bluetooth that has more lag and might not be even supported by ios

• thanks, yes I think my OS is too old for bluetooth midi :/
    thank you for the help anyhow :)

• @stelvio said:
    thanks, yes I think my OS is too old for bluetooth midi :/
    thank you for the help anyhow :)

Why not upgrade?

• everything works just like this fine now... anxiety I guess :)

• It is definitely trial and error.

Funny I have times shit is triggering things like a ghost is doing it and other times I can't connect.

SABRES connection app is nice for connecting as well.

I use it for my wireless controllers and apps.

• I have problems connecting my old iphone 4 to an ipad via bluetooth and Midimittr. It does work, but setting up each time is a faff. Is there a way to send midi (say, output from OSCtouch) from iphone to ipad over usb? thanks

• @jazubon said:
    I have problems connecting my old iphone 4 to an ipad via bluetooth and Midimittr. It does work, but setting up each time is a faff. Is there a way to send midi (say, output from OSCtouch) from iphone to ipad over usb? thanks

Maybe try using the BT Midi in Audiobus 3.
    I can’t test or confirm it will work in your case, but if the Midi setup with BT functions in Audiobus correctly, you can probably use Audiobus Session Save to save you from having to set it up every time.

• @jazubon said:
    I have problems connecting my old iphone 4 to an ipad via bluetooth and Midimittr. It does work, but setting up each time is a faff. Is there a way to send midi (say, output from OSCtouch) from iphone to ipad over usb? thanks

what iOS version? Bluetooth LE doesn't work below some version (I don't remember which).

• Hey thanks Wim and Cracklepot for the bluetooth ideas. My iphone doesn't have BT LE. I'll try the Audiobus session save idea. That would be great if it worked reliably. But I'm still hoping that a usb cabled option will turn up. I can send photos from iphone to ipad...why not midi data? - I'm sure there are a few good reasons! But I'm just a simple musician and I want these things to work like hardware used to, but for a tiny fraction of the price. First world problems!

• @jazubon said:
    Hey thanks Wim and Cracklepot for the bluetooth ideas. My iphone doesn't have BT LE. I'll try the Audiobus session save idea. That would be great if it worked reliably. But I'm still hoping that a usb cabled option will turn up. I can send photos from iphone to ipad...why not midi data? - I'm sure there are a few good reasons! But I'm just a simple musician and I want these things to work like hardware used to, but for a tiny fraction of the price. First world problems!

Sorry, you're out of luck as far as BT goes with that phone, so Audiobus session save is no use either. Midi over WiFi is one option, but honestly, not worth pursuing from my experience. There's just too much latency and lost notes to be worthwhile, even in the best wifi environments. And it can be complicated to pull off.

Indeed, it would be nice to be able to send midi over usb between devices, but that isn't possible either without a midi interface on either end. So, unless you can find a couple of class-compliant USB midi interfaces, or if you want to shell out a bunch for something like an iConnect Audio device that can route between devices, I don't think you can get there with that phone.

• Thanks for the idea Wim! I dug out a Midisport USB midi interface and a cheapo in-line midi to usb cable and, Hey Presto! rock solid midi over usb cable from iphone 5 to ipad. Now using the excellent Touch Osc background I've added loads of extra midi controllers in a pretty small package.
    Of course it would be so much more elegant if you could just plug lightning into usb and send midi. It surely can't be that difficult....if they can put a chip into a £10 midi to usb cable that can work, then it must be possible in IOS. I guess it's just that
    virtually nobody on the planet has asked for it.....yet. Also ,I guess I'm lucky in that I had the parts (cables, interfaces and old iphones) just lying around.

• If you don’t need accurate timing midi notes and use the iPhone as controller you could try via WiFi midi