Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scythe: A new wavetable synth with duplicate name in App Store

The new, more expensive one reminds the Xfer Serum synth.
Can this really be coincidence? :#
Has anybody tried it yet?

Comments

• The old Scythe needs an update. I emailed the dev a long time ago about it but I don't think anything came of it. Too bad because it was pretty cool.

Don't know anything about the new one.

• @anickt said:
    The old Scythe needs an update. I emailed the dev a long time ago about it but I don't think anything came of it. Too bad because it was pretty cool.

The unreasonably expensive one got a kind of circumspect review in Discchord, in which points out the developer's somewhat dodgy track record.

• @anickt said:
    The old Scythe needs an update. I emailed the dev a long time ago about it but I don't think anything came of it. Too bad because it was pretty cool.

The dev of the original one has not abandoned last I communicated with him

• I have enjoyed the original Scythe (which was originally called something else, GrainBender I think?). You could record knob twists for each parameter, creating some unique sounds quite easily.

• I downloaded it this morning, it’s sounds good, I like the layout but no midi in, not a AU , The sample import doesn’t seem to work. I went for a refund.

• I love the Original Scythe Synth and I have it on my iPad running iOS 11 so it must be 64bit

• Only thing they have in common is the name two different companies
    http://www.plastaq.com made the original Grainbinder/Scythe

Scythe
    Scythe is a new iPad synthesizer that makes designing new sounds easier than ever before. Just tap the bend button and sculpt your new sound directly in real time. Scythe is capable of making a wide range of sounds, from traditional analog favorites to exotic digital effects.

Due to Apple's App Store policies, Scythe is no longer available for iOS.

• Found original in my purchase history, downloaded and runs fine on iOS 11.

• edited October 2017

@Trueyorky said:
    Found original in my purchase history, downloaded and runs fine on iOS 11.

Not working for me. Starts out OK but when changing presets I get a loud pop and then no sound... :'(

This is the issue I notified the dev about a while ago.

• seems a lot like waldorf Nave. is there anything different to make it worth purchasing?

• @eross said:
    seems a lot like waldorf Nave. is there anything different to make it worth purchasing?

I haven’t purchased it, but no. If I have not bought a new iOS synth, then you can be assured it’s suspect.

• @anickt said:

@Trueyorky said:
    Found original in my purchase history, downloaded and runs fine on iOS 11.

Not working for me. Starts out OK but when changing presets I get a loud pop and then no sound... :'(

This is the issue I notified the dev about a while ago.

same here, hoping for the best on that one it's really cool. There's a free vst version that does work...

@oat_phipps said:

@eross said:
    seems a lot like waldorf Nave. is there anything different to make it worth purchasing?

I haven’t purchased it, but no. If I have not bought a new iOS synth, then you can be assured it’s suspect.

I shoulda checked in before spending the $17. It's got its points but I'm uh-oh now about whether basic features and updates won't happen. All I wish for is core midi really. The wave import piece is done right and the mod drag-and-drop bit is cool

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I downloaded it this morning, it’s sounds good, I like the layout but no midi in, not a AU , The sample import doesn’t seem to work. I went for a refund.

Holy crap that looks amazing. I'm a sucker for synths with 3D wavetable views, for whatever reason. I spent a lot of time with Nave. But, Nave had all the bells and whistles from the start, I made my own tables from importing audio and so on. I did make Nave crash with really short samples which it had trouble importing, but that was single cycle or close to, it got better with updates tho. I wanna mess around with wavetable stuff again, but the import gotta be solid. And full control over how the "playhead" moves over a table gotta be there. Didn't see any filters or fx etc in the video, that's not in there?

• Advice - Nave, Wavegenerator, Infinity...

The price is also a bit on the unreasonable side

• edited October 2017

A bit off subject but hey, rs2000, what is the app or site you are using in the screenshot?

Edit- Nvm I found it

• Wow, I'm overwhelmed.
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
    Luckily we already have some great stuff available :)

• Looks like a lot of effort went into making this look like Serum, xfer could probably take the developer to court and get this app taken down! I would be very very surprised if this could hold its own against the excellent wavetable synths we already have available on iOS.

Wolfgang Palm invented wavetable synthesis and his PPG WaveMapper and WaveGenerator are fully featured, regularly updated, sound amazing and if you go to his website there are excellent sound banks available for free. I tend to use Nave from Waldorf more often as it's a lot easier to program and the preset management doesn't break my brain...

You would save the price of a cup of coffee by choosing this one over any of those 3 I mentioned but releasing a synth with no midi doesn't exactly inspire confidence!

Since I haven't heard the app I could be way off the mark here but I have way too many synths already and this doesn't tempt me at all. Just watched Dougs video with all the Bram Bos stuff and unfortunately for my wallet I will be getting all those in the near future.

• I was looking for the original one the other day and it wouldn't show up in my AppStore (Japan), even though I am sure it was there about a week ago. Hope it comes back.

• From the dev ,

Hi guys,

I am the developer of Mutate and Scythe and it really hurts to see these comments.

I'm sorry to see that you all had a bad experience with Mutate and how that influenced your opinion on Scythe.

Finding this post and the link to the old post, all I can do is apologize to everyone that was ripped off and let down with Mutate, I hope you got a refund for the app from Apple.

Mutate on iPad was an absolute fail, no doubt. Deciding to have sound packs as in-app purchases that were downloadable from a server was a mistake. We had hosting issues, some sound packs were downloading, others were not. After we changed the hosting some of the filenames of the sound packs didn't match what the code was trying to unzip, it was a mess! and it meant even after purchasing sample packs, the app would just have no content. That was a terrible experience.

I don't work on these apps full time, unfortunately. It's been blood sweat and tears to complete Mutate and this new synth on the side of my day job.

The lack of time has led to the website being "under construction" for so long and the inability to fix/recover the data from the hosting and add additional features to Mutate. I took Mutate down for now and I do plan to rewrite it.

I would like to offer everyone that had a bad experience with Mutate to contact me and I will add you as a beta tester for Scythe so you can get the app and all future updates for free if you want. Otherwise I could send you redeem codes if you like, the codes are only valid for a few months though. [email protected]

The naming clash with what I now see is an existing synth, that is unfortunate, it was not on the app store when I submitted the app which meant Apple approved the synth anyway.

I admit, the passion/obsession with sound meant I have slipped on other things, I'm really sorry and I would like to make it up. I had no bad intentions.

I will get the website done so I can provide support for the apps.

Once again, I'm truly sorry about all of this.

Jarryd

• These are very strange times on the forums.

• @ChrisG said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    I downloaded it this morning, it’s sounds good, I like the layout but no midi in, not a AU , The sample import doesn’t seem to work. I went for a refund.

Holy crap that looks amazing. I'm a sucker for synths with 3D wavetable views, for whatever reason. I spent a lot of time with Nave. But, Nave had all the bells and whistles from the start, I made my own tables from importing audio and so on. I did make Nave crash with really short samples which it had trouble importing, but that was single cycle or close to, it got better with updates tho. I wanna mess around with wavetable stuff again, but the import gotta be solid. And full control over how the "playhead" moves over a table gotta be there. Didn't see any filters or fx etc in the video, that's not in there?

No FX as far as I can see. The actual app as a standalone is pretty good and solid, I love the GUI and Wave Table selection, it’s not as complex to get you head around as much as PPG apps or Nave. It just needs midi in really for keyboard hardware support to be a synth in my eyes and AB support rather than being a generator to be worth the current price which is pretty steep for what else is out there in the same vein.

I hope the app grows into something more with time and doesn’t get abandoned like the last one. Most people are once bitten twice shy when buying apps from devs who don’t deliver, which is understandable.

• @flo26 said:
    From the dev ,

Hi guys,

I am the developer of Mutate and Scythe and it really hurts to see these comments.

I'm sorry to see that you all had a bad experience with Mutate and how that influenced your opinion on Scythe.

Finding this post and the link to the old post, all I can do is apologize to everyone that was ripped off and let down with Mutate, I hope you got a refund for the app from Apple.

Mutate on iPad was an absolute fail, no doubt. Deciding to have sound packs as in-app purchases that were downloadable from a server was a mistake. We had hosting issues, some sound packs were downloading, others were not. After we changed the hosting some of the filenames of the sound packs didn't match what the code was trying to unzip, it was a mess! and it meant even after purchasing sample packs, the app would just have no content. That was a terrible experience.

I don't work on these apps full time, unfortunately. It's been blood sweat and tears to complete Mutate and this new synth on the side of my day job.

The lack of time has led to the website being "under construction" for so long and the inability to fix/recover the data from the hosting and add additional features to Mutate. I took Mutate down for now and I do plan to rewrite it.

I would like to offer everyone that had a bad experience with Mutate to contact me and I will add you as a beta tester for Scythe so you can get the app and all future updates for free if you want. Otherwise I could send you redeem codes if you like, the codes are only valid for a few months though. [email protected]

The naming clash with what I now see is an existing synth, that is unfortunate, it was not on the app store when I submitted the app which meant Apple approved the synth anyway.

I admit, the passion/obsession with sound meant I have slipped on other things, I'm really sorry and I would like to make it up. I had no bad intentions.

I will get the website done so I can provide support for the apps.

Once again, I'm truly sorry about all of this.

Jarryd

Hi, @Jarryd
    Thanks for coming to share here, and on Tim Webb's site.
    I'm having fun with Scythe, hadn't heard about the Mutate thing, and hope you can add Core Midi soon. Hang in there!

• edited October 2017

@Jumpercollins said:

@ChrisG said:

@Jumpercollins said:

No FX as far as I can see. The actual app as a standalone is pretty good and solid, I love the GUI and Wave Table selection, it’s not as complex to get you head around as much as PPG apps or Nave. It just needs midi in really for keyboard hardware support to be a synth in my eyes and AB support rather than being a generator to be worth the current price which is pretty steep for what else is out there in the same vein.

I hope the app grows into something more with time and doesn’t get abandoned like the last one. Most people are once bitten twice shy when buying apps from devs who don’t deliver, which is understandable.

I got more info from the dev on Tims site, there's no filter or effects like you said. Typically you'd want at least low pass filter in a synth. But still, plenty of control/modulation over the actual wavetables, and looked/sounded good enough in PoDs video, so I went ahead and got it earlier. If nothing else it will serve as sample fodder machine:-) Will give it a spin tomorrow.

• Now down to $14.99. Thanks, @Jarryd – happy to support your continuing hard work on this.

• The PoD video certainly interested me, but without MIDI in it's a toy.

• I'm really digging this app so far, and there's already been an update. I've been conversing with the dev and he's got some groovy stuff planned in the roadmap.

It's very approachable too. Easy to figure out the interface quickly. After watching the Pants of Death demo video, and was making some very cool scapes inside of 15mins. Started adding my own stuff, and had it going in AUM with several extra AU filters on it. Seems very stable.

I'd also like to see midi control and some automation too, but this is a very cool start. :)

• Ok, I'll bite and bought it. Midi and Audiobus are necessary. Internal effects less so as everyone will run this within a host anyway.

Outstanding job so far.

• The UI looks incredibly clean and user friendly. I will keep an eye on this app. When midi is added, I will most likely purchase it.

• Bought it this morning, and I really like it so far. Love all the modulation options, and the ease of assigning them, and it sounds fantastic through Filtatron!