Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cakewalk - Momentum? Something new for iOS

Comments

• The very arrogance and incompetence this company has shown has been taken to new heights.

1. Yet another f-cking subscription-only pricing model? $2.99/month isn’t the worst, but by god it isn’t worth the hassle of keeping track of just for a few paltry functions you can do in most other apps out there to one extent or another. Stop trying to make this shit subscription-only pricing model a thing! Offer a more expensive one-time payment option too!

2. However, I wouldn’t pay those thieving twats anymore money anyways. Until Cakewalk pulls their heads out their collective arses and updates z3ta+ to fix the preset export bug, they can whistle Dixie if they think they’ll get a farthing out of me.

3. And it’s not like I didn’t try to make them aware of the issues. Everytime I wrote them, they claimed z3ta+ is on the backburner, that they’ve no plans to fix it. I guess they were too busy trying to find a way to build an app they thought they could milk us money for.

4. Subscription or not, I don’t trust Cakewalk to keep updating this app. They’ll probably abandon this one too in time to come.

• @gusgranite said:
    This is fast becoming a favourite thread.

Yeah, I was giddy to report this app's release for all the wrong reasons. :o

• From what I can gather Pro Tools, Cakewalks Sonar and Bitwig are forcing people into some sort of subscription deal or another. None of these plans seem to benefit the user in any way.

This momentum thing is a joke imho, if I was using their software I would be insulted by this move.

Ableton has provided a far better export service free of charge to quite a few iOS developers with no limitations and it works flawlessly. Some apps even let you choose between audio or midi export. I export to Dropbox and open in Live and everything translates perfectly so far. Handy to have the projects in the cloud too!

Gadget, ikaossilator, patterning, triqtraq, blocs wave, ElasticDrums, Groovebox are a few that will do this already and hopefully more developers will add this feature.

• You could say a lot of things about this one, but one word covers it for me: bonkers.

• Sometimes I wonder if apps like this are market researched even a little, or if some exec just thinks he’s come up with a great plan and instructs the minions.

• edited October 2017

I'll play devil's advocate. It is a fun thread so why not? I can take it.

If I used a PC DAW regularly and did location recording regularly, 30 bucks a year to have those sessions/files automagically appear in a window in my DAW from which I can simply drag and drop said files isn't that terrible. Life is short. Lots of folks would look at you with the blankest of stares if you suggested using NAS. Or have felt a bunch of heartburn trying to move files from an iOS device to a PC.

That said, it isn't really $30/yr — unless you're ok with compressed audio. $99/yr for uncompressed. Terrible. The only thing more terrible? The design. I mean, what the actual fuck? Cakewalk's ain't the prettiest software but they've been in the business of designing music software UIs for 30+ years. I had to double check that it was really Cakewalk and not a prankster.

• Maybe I’m missing something. Isn’t it a cloud service? Why the surprise that it would be subscription?

Looks overpriced if it’s not something you’re going to use pretty much daily at high volume, and taking advantage of the wide-scale compatibility it offers. Might there be a niche for it? Still no relevant info on whether the app is any good as a sketch pad or not. Of course there appears to be other ways to do the same or similar things, but how do they compare to Momentum besides just being less expensive?

Cakewalk apparently makes some apps I might not be interested in. If only the world revolved around me and my music making.

• Poorly named at the very least, “Inertia” would appear to be more apt.

• According to https://momentum.cakewalk.com/ there's a free version.

free

3 ideas
    5 minute idea length
    MP3 audio
    drag ideas into your DAW
    FREE

basic

unlimited ideas
    5 minute idea length
    MP3 audio
    drag ideas into your DAW
    $2.99/month OR $29.99/year

pro

unlimited ideas
    60 minute idea length
    lossless audio
    drag into + record from your DAW
    $9.99/month OR $99.99/year

30 bucks a year gets you 4 tracks of mp3 audio with a max length of 5 minutes. And they think this is for capturing band practice? Live shows? Podcast interviews? :frowning:

• edited October 2017

@syrupcore said:
    I had to double check that it was really Cakewalk and not a prankster.

Roland stopped supporting the Edirol controller I bought after a few years of making the thing, and the drivers stopped being updated a few years back. So I have a perfectly good 49 key MIDI controller with sliders and knobs and pads that can't be mapped to most software. So for example, the eight rotary knobs will only map to one DAW synth controller at a time. I'm going to have to buy a completely new keyboard, virtually identical to this one, because they won't update a driver.

Cakewalk's other two apps have been sitting without updates on the store for nearly three years, and I've read on here that apparently they've said they won't be updating them again.

Nothing surprises me about this lot, and they won't get a penny of my money again.

• Looks like Cakewalk is getting the big heave ho ! Good they deserve it, the pricks!

• @MonzoPro said:

@syrupcore said:
    I had to double check that it was really Cakewalk and not a prankster.

Roland stopped supporting the Edirol controller I bought after a few years of making the thing, and the drivers stopped being updated a few years back.

This is my biggest issue with Roland these days. All their USB implementations are proprietary/non-class-compliant and require drivers. I love their Airas and I love their Boutique synths, but those USB shenanigans are not cool.

• Sounds like this is going to go very well for Cakewalk. :D

• What have Roland got to do with it?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    What have Roland got to do with it?

Roland used to own Cakewalk. They sold it to Gibson a while ago.

• Cool name though... Momentum :D

• Very cynical app price model, pretty insulting really for the type of app offered. They are obviously pushing after the "more money than sense" target market. :D

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Cool name though... Momentum :D

The name represents the companies movement into obscurity. :D

• I hope this app fails. Not because I wish Cakwalk any ill will but so it will deter other music devs from pursuing a similar pricing model.

I understand the sustainability issue, but I much prefer the free incremental updates and ‘release a separate new app every couple of years’ (for larger v.2.0 or 3.0 updates) model. Much like the Beatmaker series.

• If the app was worthwhile, I wouldn't object to subscription. I pay for the Adobe Creative Cloud, and also for my 3D software that way, and I have no objections. In fact it's much better value than the previous pricing model which actually cost more.

What Cakewalk are missing here, is that they are not actually offering anything of value. The offering is crap. No-one's going to pay for it, because it's just not worth it.

If they'd offered something game-changing, or even just functional and different, the pricing model would be fine.

I'm all for supporting devs and fixing the broken pricing model of the App Store. It's true that really useful and worthwhile software that takes time and resources to create should be fairly rewarded. But I wouldn't download this app if it was completely free, because in a crowded market it doesn't really offer anything new.

• Let me think about this for a moment.. um NO

• In summary, it's a joke.
    A bad joke.

• @tja said:
    In summary, it's a joke.
    A bad joke.

Yes, nothing more

• @LucidMusicInc said:

>

Depends where you live. In the UK, Momentum is the name of a neo Communist faction of the Labour Party (equivalent to Democrats). So not very musical. ;)

• @Tritonman said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

The name represents the companies movement into obscurity. :D

Downward momentum more likely >:)

• @richardyot said:
    If the app was worthwhile, I wouldn't object to subscription. I pay for the Adobe Creative Cloud, and also for my 3D software that way, and I have no objections. In fact it's much better value than the previous pricing model which actually cost more.

What Cakewalk are missing here, is that they are not actually offering anything of value. The offering is crap. No-one's going to pay for it, because it's just not worth it.

If they'd offered something game-changing, or even just functional and different, the pricing model would be fine.

I'm all for supporting devs and fixing the broken pricing model of the App Store. It's true that really useful and worthwhile software that takes time and resources to create should be fairly rewarded. But I wouldn't download this app if it was completely free, because in a crowded market it doesn't really offer anything new.

Very this. I also subscribe to netflix, dropbox, icloud... subscription is totally fine with me. Just have to offer something of value.

If I used their desktop DAW and they created a Cubasis 1.0 level app along with the "drag and drop into my DAW via plugin window experience", this could be almost reasonable. For 30/yr uncompressed, totally reasonable. $99/yr? Not so much.

• @Telstar5 said:

Boycott

@richardyot said:
    But I wouldn't download this app if it was completely free, because in a crowded market it doesn't really offer anything new.

Maybe the best "boycott", in the 'send a message' terms anyway, would be if we all downloaded and then deleted. They're going to be looking at two sales metrics: number of downloads and number of subscriptions. Since number of downloads of a free music app is basically meaningless and hitting a huge, dropbox-sized subscription number is impossible for any paid music app the most important number for them will be: "Of the people who downloaded, what percentage converted into paid subscribers?" Download and delete will skew that number.

This discussion has been closed.