Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Cool. Thx.

• edited October 2017

Not taking the piss, I genuinely didn’t know Pitchfork was still around. I always thought it was the posh successor to Buddyhead and figured it was dead by now.

• I guess Mac Demarco revived them

• @kobamoto said:
    I guess Mac Demarco revived them

Haha.

• The idea is inspiring. I think of doing something like it on occasion (perhaps not a single synth but stuff like 2-3 synths and 4 tracks max); I don't know if I have the discipline any more.

• Here's a tune I made years ago with just a Roland SH-101 and a space echo. Captured loops into a PC program called Ambiloop and then just kind of laid them out on a timeline (no post processing). I was committed to the no processing thing but listening back, wish I'd let that go a bit to get the kick to thump more!

http://bridgeportmusic.com/audio/bluebird/12_sh-101_song.mp3

• I’ve tried this multiple times but it never stuck. Even when I only actually HAD one synth, somehow I wound up using more

• I once made a whole album with just one guitar. I get that it’s not quite the same, but I DID have multiples to choose from. Oh and used the same amplifier, too.

To be a little less jesty, I see this as knowing your instrument well and nothing more. Setting parameters for yourself (or being limited by budget, which moreso applies to the olden days) is great, but that’s more of a personal inspirer/motivator than it is indicative of the quality of any finished product.

Mac DeMarco sounds like one of those names I ‘should’ know. I’d bet someone has played me a track somewhere up the line.

• Cool article, and cool production idea. Using one synth (or limited synths, if you aren't trying to prove a point) can give an interesting homogeneity to the production, like a cartoon, where one artist drew all of the characters.

• @syrupcore said:
    Here's a tune I made years ago with just a Roland SH-101 and a space echo. Captured loops into a PC program called Ambiloop and then just kind of laid them out on a timeline (no post processing). I was committed to the no processing thing but listening back, wish I'd let that go a bit to get the kick to thump more!

Good stuff!

• I like the concept, but I didn't hear anything that grabbed me. I didn't listen all the way through (too much repetition), but I gave each of them at least a minute. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Satoshi and Makoto.

I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few forum members here who could make music just as good.

@syrupcore I liked yours best. :+1:

• @syrupcore said:
    Here's a tune I made years ago with just a Roland SH-101 and a space echo. Captured loops into a PC program called Ambiloop and then just kind of laid them out on a timeline (no post processing). I was committed to the no processing thing but listening back, wish I'd let that go a bit to get the kick to thump more!

dope

• one of my fav such albums is by Benge aka Ben Edwards, his album is called 20 systems
    this album used to be my secret stash synth crate.... back in the day I sampled the shit out of it.
    each song is composed with only one synth.

a taste