Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SPIRITUALITY & FAITH: Role in your music?

Do God, Gods, or lack of such figures matter to your music?

Do your other worldly or spiritual practices, sometimes called religion play a role in the music you make?

How so?

Comments

• Just my personal view here and no disrespect intended...I think this is a great forum when the discussion of religion (and politics) is avoided entirely. Someone always seems to get banned for starters. It just never seems to go well.

• @RUST( i )K said:

Do your other worldly or spiritual practices, sometimes called religion play a role in the music you make?

How so?

Many artists express themselves via music or other kinds of art. Their moods, beliefs and experiences can all end up in the mix.

It’s healthy for sure

I sometimes make ambient work after meditating and it’s an altogether more absorbing experience.

Reading this book right now and there are many others like it

It’s a fact that the state of mind or consciousness of the artist goes into their work wether they intended it to or not...

I was listening to Hungarian monks chanting hymns on YouTube and it’s straight up drone scape but done with voice

• @gusgranite said:
    Just my personal view here and no disrespect intended...I think this is a great forum when the discussion of religion (and politics) is avoided entirely. Someone always seems to get banned for starters. It just never seems to go well.

I think @RUST( i )K is not after a religious discussion here, he is asking if ones persuasion affects the music they make. It’s a relevant and interesting question. No doubt there will be objections but I’m happy about this thread :)

But I agree that politics should totally be banned from the forum lol

• @Love3quency said:

@RUST( i )K said:

How so?

Many artists express themselves via music or other kinds of art. Their moods, beliefs and experiences can all end up in the mix.

It’s healthy for sure

I sometimes make ambient work after meditating and it’s an altogether more absorbing experience.

Reading this book right now and there are many others like it

It’s a fact that the state of mind or consciousness of the artist goes into their work wether they intended it to or not...

I was listening to Hungarian monks chanting hymns on YouTube and it’s straight up drone scape but done with voice

Very cool.

• True. But we can always agree to disagree respectfully and as musicians even better since we share the same gift.

All the music I make is for God! I feel blessed to be gifted in this respect, and while I respect all others making music for whatever drives them, for me, faith and gratitude to the creator of music, is my main music driving force.

There was a dude one day that heard one of my songs which I made in the early 90s that was about to OD and commit suicide. Well, his mother was playing my bands cassette in the kitchen, he heard a song playing and it touched his soul. He called out to his mother and told her what he was about to do. Well I got the call at home that evening of him crying on the phone telling me the whole story and asking to never stop singing for God, because of a Song he heard, He was touched and changed his heart from what he was about to do to himself.

Sometimes the songs we record, we think, he this song is going nowhere, but wow, that song saved a life.

Priceless.

I say this, to God be all the honor and praise!

• @gusgranite said:
    Just my personal view here and no disrespect intended...I think this is a great forum when the discussion of religion (and politics) is avoided entirely. Someone always seems to get banned for starters. It just never seems to go well.

None taken.

But just a like a radio or a television, no requirement for anyone to post or read the thread. We are all adults here.

I am responsible for my thoughts, emotions, and what I post.

Ironically, I would assume that a thread in which spiritually fulfilled people out channel it with or through music would bring a level headed individual who enjoys to hear about others lives in what ever passion faith or spirit life manifest in music.

Thanks though for your concern or critique. I appreciate it.

• Funny I posted this thread and realized that I may have not connected some things in my own life until now.

Music no doubt for me serves as a method of evolving in myself. If I have taken a paper and pen to a subject, it is likely that I have come to grips with that emotion or memory series. The enlightenment is further concurred with the ability to create music inspired by it.

For instance, the song I posted here on Father's Day. It was melancholy piece that expressed my sadness of not being a father. I cannot help but to think the therapeutic and spiritual insight I gained in writing and performing that song have some degree of a higher powers intervention and assistance.

This is one very simplistic example off the top of my head.

I definitely think that music is the glue that holds my emotional and spiritual self adhered to one another in a flexible yet sturdy manner.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@gusgranite said:

None taken.

But just a like a radio or a television, no requirement for anyone to post or read the thread. We are all adults here.

I am responsible for my thoughts, emotions, and what I post.

Ironically, I would assume that a thread in which spiritually fulfilled people out channel it with or through music would bring a level headed individual who enjoys to hear about others lives in what ever passion faith or spirit life manifest in music.

Thanks though for your concern or critique. I appreciate it.

Everything you say is true!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    True. But we can always agree to disagree respectfully and as musicians even better since we share the same gift.

All the music I make is for God! I feel blessed to be gifted in this respect, and while I respect all others making music for whatever drives them, for me, faith and gratitude to the creator of music, is my main music driving force.

There was a dude one day that heard one of my songs which I made in the early 90s that was about to OD and commit suicide. Well, his mother was playing my bands cassette in the kitchen, he heard a song playing and it touched his soul. He called out to his mother and told her what he was about to do. Well I got the call at home that evening of him crying on the phone telling me the whole story and asking to never stop singing for God, because of a Song he heard, He was touched and changed his heart from what he was about to do to himself.

Sometimes the songs we record, we think, he this song is going nowhere, but wow, that song saved a life.

Priceless.

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for sharing that.

Most of the songs I've written are about "God". Just recently, I have branched out to write other lyrics.

• I don´t believe in any religion but music is a kind of connection to the universe for me. Music is a very imaginary thing for me and i always have pictures and a lot emotions in my mind while creating it.
    For me music is a religion lol.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    True. But we can always agree to disagree respectfully and as musicians even better since we share the same gift.

Priceless.

Wow.

Wow.

Thank you for that story.

I believe in good and evil. I think if a person believes in good and evil, the specifics of the faith melt away.

Ultimately, these 2 things and the 1 big battle between them define the world I live in when you break it all down.

Fear. Faith.

Good. Evil.

Your story is the example of the evil found in the chemicals that take your soul. I joke around about drugs but ultimately they have taught me about evil in this world.

At times music has been an anchor for me. Down and out in a dark place but a song of a day of long ago where happiness lived and those sounds could remind me if just for an instant that enjoying life clean is possible.

Now with many years free of drugs and alcohol I can say the music is still here, uplifting me till this day.

• ALBALB
    edited October 2017

Nothing controversial about your post in my opinion. Sure, this thread could derail into something nasty, but it doesn't have to. I like this forum because it seems pretty tolerant for the most part, and has lots of people who seem pretty mature - most people try to avoid pissing matches here. I'm grateful for that.

I meditate a lot and, although it doesn't involve belief in a god or gods, I am sure that it has an effect on my music as it does in other aspects of my life. But, like all "spiritual" practices, it can contain its share of conflict as well as nice tranquil moments - I think it's actually a necessary mix. I guess my music reflects that. It's not music to "om" by (not that there's anything wrong with that). My last track was a raucous, somewhat atonal free-jazz sort of thing.

• edited October 2017

@Cib said:
    I don´t believe in any religion but music is a kind of connection to the universe for me. Music is a very imaginary thing for me and i always have pictures and a lot emotions in my mind while creating it.

Very similar to what I was going to write.

I tend to steer clear of organised religions, but that’s not to say I don’t believe in a guiding force, or spiritual ‘elements’. And music and art definitely help me to connect to it, so I guess creativity is a kind of religion to me.

And I certainly attain levels of transcendence when listening to certain pieces of music. Not my own, obviously.

• @ALB said:
    Nothing controversial about your post in my opinion. Sure, this thread could derail into something nasty, but it doesn't have to. I like this forum because it seems pretty tolerant for the most part, and has lots of people who seem pretty mature - most people try to avoid pissing matches here. I'm grateful for that.

I meditate a lot and, although it doesn't involve belief in a god or gods, I am sure that it has an effect on my music as it does in other aspects of my life. But, like all "spiritual" practices, it can contain its share of conflict as well as nice tranquil moments - I think it's actually a necessary mix. I guess my music reflects that. It's not music to "om" by (not that there's anything wrong with that). My last track was a raucous, somewhat atonal free-jazz sort of thing.

@MonzoPro said:

@Cib said:
    I don´t believe in any religion but music is a kind of connection to the universe for me. Music is a very imaginary thing for me and i always have pictures and a lot emotions in my mind while creating it.

Very similar to what I was going to write.

I tend to steer clear of organised religions, but that’s not to say I don’t believe in a guiding force, or spiritual ‘elements’. And music and art definitely help me to connect to it, so I guess creativity is a kind of religion to me.

I totally dig those outdoor videos that people do.

I think the contrast of the majesty of nature and its spiritual or elemental forces with the technology and electronic sounds are amazing and bridge the divide of this world and the other.

As a side note I am putting together samples of my dogs squeaking toys, barking, and growling and going to make a full song with all the dog sounds transformed into instruments.

Same for the sounds of birds and bugs, I love sampling things like that and using them in Flux Pad or Patterning.

I even found some cool sounds of wood and rocks banged together in different ways.

Thanks for your posts.

• Some of my work is god awful.
    Does that count?

• @JeffChasteen said:
    Some of my work is god awful.
    Does that count?

Jesus Christ, stay on topic Jeff.

• I find my music far better with the use of one of the Holly Trinity in the making of.....Spirit of course! ;)

• music is only god i believe in >:)

• @dendy said:
    music is only god i believe in >:)

• I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

Funny because I always really stuck with jazz and electronic music because I didn't want to hear someone else's story.

So I wrote my own.

• Playing music is my meditation. It calms me and clears my mind and gives me immense, wholesome pleasure. But I don't attach any greater significance to it.

• Music is my spirituality. The studio is like my church

• @oat_phipps said:
    Music is my spirituality. The studio is like my church

I know it sounds like the hippie cliche thing but I totally share @oat_phipps feelings on music. I’m not religious but very spiritual, and music is the prime vehicle for expressing and interacting with that force.

I think there’s a force, a power, a Spirit of the Universe more grand, intelligent and beautiful than we’ll ever know. I think the question is the answer, we’re not supposed to understand it all, but for different people there are different ways to communicate with & feel that power. Religion, Yoga, Meditation & for me, Music.

Spiritually does enter into my creativity but I prefer the subtle over a bang over the head, hamfisted delivery. One of my all time favorite songs is “Bargain” by The Who. The lyrics can be read as a song to a lover OR a song to God/Spiritual Power. That’s the direction I take.

And I don’t think @RUST( i )K was taking the piss. It’s a legit and interesting topic that I think our community is mature enough to discuss without friction.

Be cool...

• I find the OP question as well as the replies really interesting, if nothing else as faith, religion as well as anti-faith has been quite a significant source of inspiration for many musicians. For me personally though, and for my music: no. Not at all.

Having said that, being Swedish (and Sweden being the last christened country in Europe, and one of the least religious countries in the world today) I have been surprised by the sheer amount of others faith and belief, and the extent of importance it plays to many people that I have gotten to know (mainly online) via music making, mainly in here and on Facebook.

As I rarely splurt out offensive views when it comes to faith (or lack thereof), and me being really interested in peoples life stories and listening to how they came to be who they are, I have found, after time, that many of my new found friends are really quite religious. Some others also have almost polar opposite views to me on politics too. All of that is ok, as I also really appreciate how “on topic“ (music) pretty much all discussions are where I am active, and that most people treat each other with respect, makes it all ok, and actually at times over the years have made for excellent (polite) discussions and education (both ways) on both political views and faith specific niggles (I honestly am still confounded by all the differences between various religious groups, even within Christianity, and their various practices and traditions). Those discussions have taken place outside the forum/FB groups though.

Like many others here though, music itself has almost been a religion for me for most of my life, and I still attribute lots of learnings and thinking, even in my day job (which is IT related) to what I’ve learnt through/via music.

I also love the fact that both my kids seem to be musical and are picking up their first instruments, doing forays into what would suit them and that they dare to experiment with various instruments and want to learn what it takes to become good at them, so they can pick their starting paths carefully (I’ve made sure I’ve taught them they actually can change their minds, but that skills also usually come via a combination of talent and persistence, and hard work…but it should be fun).

Ah well, not adding much to the discussion I guess, just my view on the topic, which I find interesting.

• edited October 2017

• edited October 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:

I consider myself spiritual, but not a follower of any particular religion. In no small measure because while I have encountered genuinely good folk doing their thing within the framework of this or that faith, the controlling authorities are all man-made, biased and manipulative.

There just has to be something better than us, but I don’t know what it is. Maybe, every living thing is like a cell in the body of the universe, and that vast living entity is what the religiously inclined have named God.

An old friend is a Sister of Mercy, and yes she gets the joke about the same name rock band. She once said to me a very wise thing.

“There are many ways to get where we are going. My path is just one.”

• @triton100 said:

I agree with that.

• Sometimes I drink spirits.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I never pay attention to the sentiment in a record, it’s all about the sound to me.

Funny because I always really stuck with jazz and electronic music because I didn't want to hear someone else's story.

So I wrote my own.

I hear the individual words, but the meaning doesn't register, occasionally a single line will stick. I've always been the same, and i guess this is why I don't write or sing, I have tried in the past but have to really force stuff out, which I don't enjoy or want to do.
    Sound on the other hand, what I feel in my gut determines if I like it or not, no thinking required.