Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Processing With Fabfilter Plug-ins In AUM...

Is this possible? Is there a way to insert Auria Pro and use the plugins to process audio?

Comments

• I don't think so...

• The day Auria Pro exposes all the IAP plug-ins as AUv3's to other apps will be the day I will consider getting it but not before that...

• @Samu said:
    The day Auria Pro exposes all the IAP plug-ins as AUv3's to other apps will be the day I will consider getting it but not before that...

I don't think that's technically possible. Auria plugins are VST-based, they probably can't easily be converted to AUv3

• edited October 2017

@Samu said:
    The day Auria Pro exposes all the IAP plug-ins as AUv3's to other apps will be the day I will consider getting it but not before that...

>

Still waiting, years now, for the FF preset naming bug to get fixed. Each side blames the other, nothing gets done. :'(

• @richardyot said:

I don't think that's technically possible. Auria plugins are VST-based, they probably can't easily be converted to AUv3

Could be. On the desktop the FabFilter stuff is available as AU so it could be a 'strategic fail' that was made during development of the iOS version and that decision was to make a custom 'VST Wrapper' instead of using AU...

• edited October 2017

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Could be. On the desktop the FabFilter stuff is available as AU so it could be a 'strategic fail' that was made during development of the iOS version and that decision was to make a custom 'VST Wrapper' instead of using AU...

Er, when Auria was first released, way back in what, 2011/2012(?), there was no inkling that AU was coming to iOS. IAA didn't even exist back then. FabFilter aren't able to predict the future, and any strategy they might have had could only be based on how things were at the time.

To be fair to Auria, it is the most stable and highest performing plugin platform on iOS, and native Auria plugins blow AUv3 out of the water. On my Air 2 I can comfortably run 25 instances of FF plugins in a project, with perfect recall of the settings (yes except for the preset name, I know that) and zero issues. Can't do that with AUv3 yet, in any host. Even all these years later, Apple has not really caught up with where Auria was right from the beginning.

Whether FabFilter are willing to port their plugins to AUv3 is almost certainly just a plain commercial decision. It depends on how complex the port would be, and what level of sales they can expect. The fact that Rim made it easy to port to Auria was a really smart move, because it means that less resources were needed to get the plugins onto the platform.

• @richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Er, when Auria was first released, way back in what, 2011/2012(?), there was no inkling that AU was coming to iOS. IAA didn't even exist back then. FabFilter aren't able to predict the future, and any strategy they might have had could only be based on how things were at the time.

To be fair to Auria, it is the most stable and highest performing plugin platform on iOS, and native Auria plugins blow AUv3 out of the water. On my Air 2 I can comfortably run 25 instances of FF plugins in a project, with perfect recall of the settings (yes except for the preset name, I know that) and zero issues. Can't do that with AUv3 yet, in any host. Even all these years later, Apple has not really caught up with where Auria was right from the beginning.

Whether FabFilter are willing to port their plugins to AUv3 is almost certainly just a plain commercial decision. It depends on how complex the port would be, and what level of sales they can expect. The fact that Rim made it easy to port to Auria was a really smart move, because it means that less resources were needed to get the plugins onto the platform.

Well said, sir.

• Sidenote/off topic: Mmm, multiple instance of Turnado in BM3 with the AU automation recording would be awesome. Sigh.

• @richardyot said:
    The fact that Rim made it easy to port to Auria was a really smart move, because it means that less resources were needed to get the plugins onto the platform.

>

Indeed it was, bravo that man!

Logic says it would also be smart to fix the FF preset name bug, as FF compatibility is such a big deal and I have no doubt attracts customers.

• edited October 2017

You can do this.
    Send audio out from AUM to IAA port. In Auria host AUM port as an fx on the channel strip. Then send the audio to mixbuses in Auria with fabfilters etc or directly on the channel. Then you can send audio from Auria out to one of Auria's IAA output ports which you host in AUM to record in AUM.

Save the Templates in both apps.

• @richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Excellent.

• @Carnbot said:
    You can do this.
    Send audio out from AUM to IAA port. In Auria host AUM port as an fx on the channel strip. Then send the audio to mixbuses in Auria with fabfilters etc or directly on the channel. Then you can send audio from Auria out to one of Auria's IAA output ports which you host in AUM to record in AUM.

Nice - I didn't realise this was possible.

• @richardyot said:

@Carnbot said:
    You can do this.

Yeah now that I've retried this I'm going to do it more often, it's great having access to these plugins in AUM :D

• Could someone be so kind for us mixidiots and post an Auria project template of this?

• edited October 2017

@Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

@Carnbot said:
    You can do this.

Yeah now that I've retried this I'm going to do it more often, it's great having access to these plugins in AUM :D

Heh, you know... I thought you could do this... tried it and was sure it worked... but then because so many here acted like you couldn't do that and that it doesn't work that way, I just kept it to myself. lol ;)

Also, you can make a section in your empty Auria track, then set loop to selection, hit play and use W/R automation for filters/effects, while recording it with your automation in AUM.

• @Carnbot said:
    You can do this.

This is like staring into the sun. I'll see if I still have my eclipse glasses and then take a look. Not sure if this is worth the setup for an impatient klutz like me if it's going to end up as stems in Auria for mastering anyway. But it's definitely thrilling.

• Could you possibly post your AUM preset?

• And this is why I love this forum.

1) Nerd out
    2) Spend money I don't have
    3) Actually learn something completely useful.

Thanks all - off to build my template in AUM

• @tja said:
    Could you possibly post your AUM preset?

...or, someone more clever that some of us, could make an tutorial how to route the audio between AUM and Auria/Auria Pro so we can use the fabulous Fabfilter plugins from Auria outside Auria...?

Someone?

• edited October 2017

Erm. Didn't even realize this was something people didn't know how to do. been using Fabfilter's Pro C2 for ages in AUM by routing in a similar way till AudioDamage's pumphouse released. haven't used it recently because i prefer to stick pretty much completely to AU.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Erm. Didn't even realize this was something people didn't know how to do. been using Fabfilter's Pro C2 for ages in AUM by routing in a similar way till AudioDamage's pumphouse released. haven't used it recently because i prefer to stick pretty much completely to AU.

Detailed (very detailed) explanation of your routing, or it didn’t happen. B)

• @richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Er, when Auria was first released, way back in what, 2011/2012(?), there was no inkling that AU was coming to iOS.

AU was already inside iOS in that time. Not exposed as plugins, but as a modular way to connect audio streams to processing and mixing nodes. Very likely this is what is used inside Auria to make it look like a VST interface to FF, but working as an AU(v2?) node behind the scenes. If so, it wouldn’t be too hard to make the AUv3 transition, technically. Economically it may not make sense for them.

But this is all ‘educated speculation’ on my end.

• @brambos said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Er, when Auria was first released, way back in what, 2011/2012(?), there was no inkling that AU was coming to iOS.

AU was already inside iOS in that time. Not exposed as plugins, but as a modular way to connect audio streams to processing and mixing nodes. Very likely this is what is used inside Auria to make it look like a VST interface to FF, but working as an AU(v2?) node behind the scenes. If so, it wouldn’t be too hard to make the AUv3 transition, technically. Economically it may not make sense for them.

Ah OK - thanks for clarifying. I appreciate the education. I guess only Rim can say if that's how the architecture is built. I was under the impression that VST and AU were completely different, but my knowledge of programming and the inner workings of operating systems is zero :)

• @richardyot said:

@brambos said:

@richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

Ah OK - thanks for clarifying. I appreciate the education. I guess only Rim can say if that's how the architecture is built. I was under the impression that VST and AU were completely different, but my knowledge of programming and the inner workings of operating systems is zero :)

Well, AU and VST indeed are different of course, but their most fundamental aspects are similar. It's like two related languages: the words are different but because the underlying grammar rules are similar you can translate one into the other without stuff getting lost in translation B)

But hey, it all remains a hypothetical discussion because it seems FF are not interested in porting to iOS AU plugins anyway :)

• @brambos said:
    But hey, it all remains a hypothetical discussion because it seems FF are not interested in porting to iOS AU plugins anyway :)

If they have their plugins as AUs on the Mac, how difficult would it be to port those to iOS, hypothetically?

• @richardyot said:

@brambos said:

If they have their plugins as AUs on the Mac, how difficult would it be to port those to iOS, hypothetically?

With the new flexible screensize feature in iOS 11 it shouldn't be too hard, depending on how familiar they are with iOS. Theoretically the main code could be more or less identical between MacOS and iOS, but iOS has some odd quirks they'd probably run into.

• In that case, maybe one day. If the iOS market was a bit healthier and bigger it would be more attractive for developers.

• There's a lot of ways you could set this up depending what you wanted to do. I've not felt the need to do it much since now we have lots of great AU effects. But the Fabs are pretty special.

Here's one way:
    I've got different AUM channels for different Fab filter effects which I'm sending instruments in AUM to (ignore Quantum in the pic, just hosting that there for convenience).

I also have a dry channel in Auria I'm sending to. Each of the hosted AUM ports in Auria are being sent to individual AUX sends in Auria which have the relevant Fab effect applied. Then everything is routed back to AUM as a master (with Pro L on the master bus). I've also got the individual channels routed back to AUM if needed (but bypassed). So in Auria you can choose to route the different tracks out to different subs.

So I can mix the effects in AUM for the master output

Master and different outputs if required

Auria AUX effects, change if needed.

AUM and Auria files included. Hopefully should work for you. The only issue is loading it all up again with the AUM ports. Should open Auria template first after a restart. Then AUM.

• @Carnbot Very cool setup routing multiple AUX to Auria, thanks for the Auria template and AUM project files !

Some additional remarks to your AUM Auria.zip on IOS 11:

-- Open the zip link in safari and use export to AudioShare to download it into AudioShare
    -- In AudioShare uncompress the zip to get the two contained files
    -- Open the Files.App
    ---- move the 'Auria AUM mix bus template.aumproj' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AUM'
    ---- move the 'AUM Multi FilterAB Forum.tpl' found in 'AudioShare Files' into 'On My iPad/AuriaPro/Project Templates'

( BTW i would have exchanged the names of both files as, the 'AUM Multi FilterAB Forum' is indeed a project template for Auria and the 'Auria AUM mix bus template' is an AUM project connecting to Auria )

While you were writing and publishing your extensive and cool setup i also was preparing illustraded instructions on how to use Auria FX as AUX in AUM - but your posting was a lot more advanced, so i decided to just drop mine.

I also found out that instead of using the IAA ports to directly connect AUM/Auria, one can use AudioBus ports instead. The AB state saving also recalls the correct AUM setup and in Auria one just needs to load the correct project to get everything running.