Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auxy Future Plans.

Email from the team.

Raising The Bar for The Future
It's been 4 years since we started Auxy. Our goal was to bring serious music production to mobile and empower a new generation of creators. We set out to build a different type of music app—simple yet powerful—that makes it easy to explore and realize your creative potential.

How far have we come?
I think the best way to judge our progress is to listen to tracks made by the community. We've been repeatedly amazed by how your music gets better with every app release. Quite frankly, we haven't heard any track made in any other mobile app that comes anywhere close to what you guys are releasing. By making such great music, you make us confident that we can push the bar even further, and give us the energy to keep pushing.

Who will make the first big hit on mobile?
We think that mobile music is at an inflection point, so we wanted to take a step back and reflect on how we can take things to the next level. With the number of quality tracks we see today, we're confident that it's a matter of time before we start hearing big hits produced on mobile. Our goal is to make Auxy the platform where the first big mobile hit gets made. Most people don't understand the impact of this shift yet, but we hope that you are as excited as we are about taking the lead and shaping the future of music.

What should we invest in?
In order to take things things to the next level, we want to invest in the following areas:

Drastically expand the sound library to cover many different styles
Add ways to import your personal sounds
Add new effects and more controls for shaping sounds
Rework how to build and arrange songs
Add new ways to create melodies and rhythms
Improve the workflow to make the app feel lighter
Make it easier to share and collaborate on projects
Make it possible to capture voice and release fully featured tracks
How can we move faster?
We're only two people working on Auxy, and this prevents us from building a lot of the things that we'd love to add. We want to move faster and aim a lot higher. In order to do so, we need to find a way to make more money so that we can reinvest in developing Auxy further.

What's next?
We're currently working on a big release that will bring some fundamental changes to our current model and address some of the things listed above. We're excited to tell you more about the new version in the coming weeks and get your feedback on our plans for the future.

Thanks for your support and high five for the future!

Comments

• Auxy actually delivers on its premise pretty well. Exciting to see what they bring in the future. I like how you can just ‘buy in’ on the aspects that suit your individual needs. I only bought the acoustic piano for example and passed on all the electronic stuff.

• @OscarSouth said:
    Auxy actually delivers on its premise pretty well. Exciting to see what they bring in the future. I like how you can just ‘buy in’ on the aspects that suit your individual needs. I only bought the acoustic piano for example and passed on all the electronic stuff.

I suspect they're now going to want you to buy in on a subscription model. The hook is in, and it's time to tug on the line.

• @aaronpc said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Auxy actually delivers on its premise pretty well. Exciting to see what they bring in the future. I like how you can just ‘buy in’ on the aspects that suit your individual needs. I only bought the acoustic piano for example and passed on all the electronic stuff.

I suspect they're now going to want you to buy in on a subscription model. The hook is in, and it's time to tug on the line.

I hope not, I just had a play with it and forgot what a good little app it is.

I bought this when it came out, then the extra IAP's and whatnot for MIDI, then they went and made it free and stripped down the UI. Still good, but, you know...

I think they would benefit from talking to a few of the bods on here about making it a better thing. Obviously they won't, but if they're thinking of going down the subscription route then they'll lose a heck of a lot of users.

• Yeah I don’t think subscription will work out for them, but let’s see. It certainly is a damn good app!

• Love Auxy's aesthetics. For me personally though any app locked into 4/4 (or multiple thereof) gets shelved. For auxy allowing a variable number of steps (ideally per voice) would strongly increase the app's value.

• Nice to hear that they are going to address song arranging. Ever since they added the new automation block recently, I find arranging my songs a lot more difficult. And it wasn't exactly easy in the first place.

Great app though, once they add a playing surface of some sort to enter notes I'll be a happy camper.

• @Tarekith said:
    Nice to hear that they are going to address song arranging. Ever since they added the new automation block recently, I find arranging my songs a lot more difficult. And it wasn't exactly easy in the first place.

Great app though, once they add a playing surface of some sort to enter notes I'll be a happy camper.

Agreed.

• Live recording is on the table so I'm pretty happy about that. Also arranging improvements is good too. I doubt they'd go subscription. Probably more IAPs for stuff. I'm just happy they're committed to keeping it feel light while adding features, doesn't seem easy but they seem to pull it off.

• IAP's would be fair, as long as I don't lose the ones I've already paid for.

• I think Roli noise and BeatHawk have the best pulse on current iOS trends. AU compatible sound packs are hitting the sweet spot.

I love Auxy, but with no midi in from a controller, it’s extremely limited. The sounds are some of the best I’ve heard anywhere, but it’s walled off inside the app. If auxy makes their sounds AU compatible, I’d be willing to invest in the platform.

• @Jumpercollins Not only MIDI In, but most important MIDI Out!

Get Auxy back to where it was.

For Groovebox, I bought any and all IAP, just based on the promise they would add MIDI In and Out.
    Add MIDI file import and export and you have a valuable tool.

• @Jumpercollins @tja

I msged them a while back about midi, referencing the original Auxy app which had some hidden midi-out features. I got an adamant "No" and that's not what they are about. This in addition to no IAA compatibility made me shelf Auxy ever since. I mean, it sounds nice, looks nice, but it's not adequate for me with those two elements absent.

• Yes, such a crippled Auxy is of little use.
    Nice, but useless.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    I think being able to add your own sounds would greatly enhance Auxy, especially if you can edit them / ASDR / use the effects. Auxy (this version) is one of the apps that got me into iOS music and I still use it but mainly for curating and exporting loops.... to then mangle them elsewhere...

Absolutely fantastic for sketching tracks on the go in MIDI, then exporting MIDI to another program for further development! Nothing else on the platform comes close to it for this purpose! The acoustic piano IAP is great too.

• Midi out is a must - and please give us another option than 4/4 (yawn) !
    Until these happen - its not on my purchase radar ;)

• @Mayo said:
    Midi out is a must - and please give us another option than 4/4 (yawn) !
    Until these happen - its not on my purchase radar ;)

It's free ;)

Y'know, I'm often in this boat of "if it doesn't give me everything then I'm giving it nothing", but Auxy is different. It's a gem! ( .. and it does have a very effective MIDI export function). More than enough to earn a permanent place on my devices! I love the iCloud Drive sync too - keeps all your projects in sync across all devices!

• edited October 2017

Ha! - its free!
    I'm learning not to collect apps that don't allow me to work the way I want..
    Watched the vid - it seems cool, but 4/4 only, instantly started to give me a brain rash
    Midi export is good too, but I want to create stuff live - also, then I'll have 1 more minute of my life free.

• It’s a very specific tool. A simple lighthearted sketch pad that you can export MIDI from. You could use it to prep MIDI scenes to import into Modstep, for example. Modstep imports exported MIDI from Auxy unbelievably well! If maintains tracks and scenes!

• It's also a very nice practice app to work on composing and arranging. There's not a lot of distractions built in so it lends itself well to sitting down and working on building fluency with specific skills.

• @Angie said:
    It's also a very nice practice app to work on composing and arranging. There's not a lot of distractions built in so it lends itself well to sitting down and working on building fluency with specific skills.

Agreed.

• edited October 2017

Just tested MIDI import with BM3 and it is also easy to do and works very nicely. Different Auxy tracks are imported into the separate pads in the BM3 bank imported to.

I’m definitely going to be working with this - developing MIDI in Auxy on my iPhone (I by far prefer Auxy to anything else on iPhone for on the go composition) and then export the conveniently cloud synced project on my iPad directly into BM3 for development!

• edited October 2017

@ecamburn said:
    Love Auxy's aesthetics.

Yes, came in here to say exactly this. Auxy is a beautiful exercise in restrained minimalist design and a great example of how to apply the "if in doubt, leave it out"-design rationale.

Considering their target audience (well described in the initial post) I seriously doubt any of their intended users will be bothered by lack of MIDI OUT or alternative time signatures.

• encenc
    edited October 2017

I'd actually created a few tunes with auxy utilising the midi out ...then they removed it :/
    Kinda highlights how we are somewhat at the mercy of the developers :o there's no deniying there are some eonderful sounds in auxy but at this time, not being able to access them with an external controler writes itvoff for me.
    Taking on brambos point about who this app is aimed at ..I do wonder if that audience would pay the $20 some of the iap are.

• Unless there have been some major updates I deleted it long ago because Auxy is at best a musical toy not serious at all. Nice design and good piano roll but just another 4/4 only EDM centric app and there already way too many of those on iOS.

• @yowza said:
    Unless there have been some major updates I deleted it long ago because Auxy is at best a musical toy not serious at all. Nice design and good piano roll but just another 4/4 only EDM centric app and there already way too many of those on iOS.

I never get this sentiment. It's another instrument! The midi export is really great. It's free. It's a joy to use. It definitely favors EDM, no doubt about that. The note entry is weird but it inspires all kinds of strange accidents, I find. It's a great little thing to turn to.

• edited October 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

@yowza said:
    Unless there have been some major updates I deleted it long ago because Auxy is at best a musical toy not serious at all. Nice design and good piano roll but just another 4/4 only EDM centric app and there already way too many of those on iOS.

I never get this sentiment. It's another instrument! The midi export is really great. It's free. It's a joy to use. It definitely favors EDM, no doubt about that. The note entry is weird but it inspires all kinds of strange accidents, I find. It's a great little thing to turn to.

Agreed on all points. What too many computer musicians don’t really get (and instrumental performers tend to appreciate more deeply) is that a great deal of wonderful music has been written using 'musical toys' ! You don't need to release the 'toy' version!

• Hey no offense meant, just my opinion. I play with toys all the time!

Yes Auxy is another instrument but I already have too many of those that I don't use and that tend to distract me from making music. I have gotten a lot pickier about iOS apps these days after seeing how much money I've spent on them over the years (yes I know Auxy is free)!!
    I tend to prefer musical tools that allow me to realize my musical ideas rather than force me to fit my ideas into what the app can do and (for me) that's exactly what Auxy is (despite it's very nice piano roll and overall design). My attitude is probably coming from years of being a pro and semi pro guitar player (who loves MIDI and synths!)

If Auxy helps you make music that's great!!

• edited October 2017

Well as a former professional musician (with a major-label back catalog still available!) maybe I'm less dogmatic about what instruments I let pass through my hands. Auxy is the ukulele of apps. Happy to have it; don't always play it.

PS: I don't intrinsically love midi and synths, so maybe that's the crux of our difference?!

• Not sure where you're getting that I'm dogmatic from me just having an opinion but whatever.

I used to buy every iOS music app out there until I realized a lot of them weren't really helping me make music. Nowadays I don't want to spend the money or take up space on my iPad or have the distraction of apps that I'm not going to use.

I did try Auxy I just decided it wasn't for me, is that too hard to understand? I'm sure there are apps out there that you feel the same way about.

If Auxy makes you happy that's all that should matter.

Peace!!