Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Issues on iPad Pro 1st gen / AB3 / AudioConnectivity ICA4+

Hi to all.

I am still struggling with AB3 and my soundcard, and ICA4+ (it is hard to know where it fails).
AB2 used to work like a charm with it to the point I had to suppress AB3 to prevent interferences (they do not behave like separate app) onstage.

Recent update of AB3 made a few things better, but still, you can never know if it will works. Some app will sometimes refuse to load (iMini, Nave, Thor, iSEm, Module,...) for no reasons, and quit while working. I happen a a regular basis to loose all audio once in a session. Quitting all app and restarting them cure the issue but poses a wild problem onstage.

SO I often have to revert to AB2 to ensure consistency of performance.

Am I the only one ?

Comments

• edited October 2017

Hey @Malhomme - ah, the headaches the iCA4+ have given us with AB3! I've still not managed to get a handle on what's happening; all the reports we've had have been kinda devoid of information - just "sometimes it doesn't work", which doesn't really give us anything to work with.

Next time you (or anyone else reading this!) see an app fail to load, or quit, or just be generally wacky, I'd love to see a system report. Here's how to create and send it:

1. First, note the time at which the issue happened, so I can find that event in the logs
    2. Trigger a sysdiagnose:
      • iOS 11+: Long press (250ms) both volume buttons + sleep/wake (power) button simultaneously
      • iOS 10.x: Press and release both volume buttons + sleep/wake (power) button simultaneously
      • Note: On an iPhone you will feel a short vibration when a sysdiagnose is successfully triggered
    3. Wait about 10 minutes for the process to complete
    4. Find the sysdiagnose: Open Settings, navigate to Privacy, then find Analytics at the bottom, then tap Analytics Data, and look in the list for an entry that starts "sysdiagnose". Tap it, then tap the share icon at the top right. Select Mail, and send it to me at [email protected].

A sysdiagnose includes logging information, and crash logs, both of which I hope will help to indicate what's happening. Note that a sysdiagnose can contain some sensitive info too, though. From Apple's notes:

The files might contain personal information found on your device or associated with your iCloud accounts, including but not limited to your name, serial numbers of your device, your device name, your user name, your email address and email settings, file paths, file names, your computer’s IP addresses, and network connection information.

I won't use or share any of that stuff, of course (this is our privacy policy, FYI). If you're concerned about that, you could try just sending any crash logs you might find, if the issue is crashing apps. You can find those in the same "Analytics Data" area in Settings. I won't get any log info, that way, but it might still be useful.

• Since updating to ios 11, my ICM4+ is playing up (again). ALL sounds (independent of AB usage) are destroyed, sounding like running through a hard-gated tremolo... . I know it‘s an ICM4+ issue, because also going through lightening, but analog, into kmix sounds fine. Well, waiting for fixes...

• edited October 2017

Michael : I'll try to do that. Though it seems complicated and I don't know how to send it (Mail is not compatible with my internet provider mail). What I know for sure is, sometimes, the inputs of the ICA4+ do not appear in AB3. Or that selecting inputs in AB2 will trigger AB3 opening and both will crash (that is why I had to delete AB3 to be able to simply play onstage). And Oh ! I forgot to say it is on 10.3.3 (but IOS versions did not affect behavior and I will not soon go to 11)

• Though it seems complicated and I don't know how to send it

Yep, it is quite complicated, I'm afraid. If you can't use Mail, you'll need to do something like AirDrop the file to your Mac, and use Dropbox or something.

sometimes, the inputs of the ICA4+ do not appear in AB3

This sounds like a hardware/OS problem to me, as I'm just getting that list straight from the OS. Are you seeing this in AB 2? Any other apps?

selecting inputs in AB2 will trigger AB3 opening

Whoa. What do you mean selecting inputs? You mean tapping on "+" for the input slot, then tapping System Audio Input (or the disclosure button beside it, then one of the channels), and then Audiobus 2 immediately switches over to Audiobus 3? Or something else?

• edited October 2017

Yes, as I said, AB2 is flawless with this same set up. Never had an issue (besides me not being able to choose which output of the ICA4+ out of AB2, but it is not an issue per se but a possibility not yet offered).
    And yes I mean tapping on + to select which input of the ICA4+ (I also run a multi input set up with independent chains of effects for guitar, voice and sometimes an additional harp). Selecting this input in AB2 (if AB3 is present on the iPad) will trigger AB3 app opening, which will trigger a message saying both can't run at the same time, and they will crash, and you have to restart AB2. That is what triggered to me the necessity of erasing AB3 when performing.

• Oh, dear. Okay, will look into it.

• @Malhomme said:
    Michael : I'll try to do that. Though it seems complicated and I don't know how to send it (Mail is not compatible with my internet provider mail). What I know for sure is, sometimes, the inputs of the ICA4+ do not appear in AB3. Or that selecting inputs in AB2 will trigger AB3 opening and both will crash (that is why I had to delete AB3 to be able to simply play onstage). And Oh ! I forgot to say it is on 10.3.3 (but IOS versions did not affect behavior and I will not soon go to 11)

You could create a new Google Mail account for this, just to be able to upload the logs.