Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• iPad Pro 10.5 / iOS 11.1
    Headphones in the socket. I was just playing a single app (iWavestation) when the noise started. I quickly ran the iOS 11 screen recorder to capture it on video so people could hear it. It carried on for a few seconds then went away so I though I had it recorded. When I play back the video you cannot hear it though. It has captured the synth sounds but not the noise. Shame. Not sure if that tells us anything about the noise though?

• @gusgranite That’s a great pointer

• Report by user on the Apple forum that turning off the microphone has not helped him :(

https://discussions.apple.com/message/32312488?ac_cid=tw123456#32312488

• Video I did this morning and at 10.00 I'm getting latency and then....

The last vid did this last week but I edited the video, can you all confirm this is what you are talking about?

• @KlaatuNinja said:
    Video I did this morning and at 10.00 I'm getting latency and then....

The last vid did this last week but I edited the video, can you all confirm this is what you are talking about?

That’s it!

• Thanks a lot for getting this on video.

• Latency seems to be a bit better for me with 11.1 and turning off microphone access Problem still definitely there tho. Had the audio noise when just listening to a iTunes song in music the other night as well.

• @ruggedsmooth I confirm that it happens less frequently in 11.0.1, also without modifying app accesses. I also discovered that the “Limit frame rate" setting causes more harms than goods, so I advise you to leave it off.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Latency seems to be a bit better for me with 11.1 and turning off microphone access Problem still definitely there tho. Had the audio noise when just listening to a iTunes song in music the other night as well.

If we can show this happening with iTunes then we might get some traction with Apple on this. That info is definitely worth posting on the Apple support thread.

• @KlaatuNinja said:

The digital crackin’ noise around 10:30 into the video is fuckin’ familiar!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@KlaatuNinja said:
    Can you all confirm this is what you are talking about?

The digital crackin’ noise around 10:30 into the video is fuckin’ familiar!

Can confirm!

• edited October 2017

I can confirm too!
    Ipad pro 2017.ios 10.3.3

• I’m not very tech savvy and just started on new cancer treatment or else I would try to record it. I don’t even know how to go about recording the sound of my headphones right now lol. Chemo brain.
    Might try to go to Apple store and talk to somebody lay down the cancer card for extra sympathy lol. Good to see it looks like the problem is getting out there to be seen now though.

• Hi guys, I have the ipad pro 10.5, regarding the latency issue, there are very few moments that happened to me and unplugging the headphone resolved the problem (very annoying tough).

I’m also a victim of the cracked noise, usually using Audiobus with Gadget and Loopy, everytime I switch between apps there is a glitch. There is noise switching to Safari, mail, and every app I switch.

The worst is that even closing all the apps, the problem seems to persist, because I open Music, start to listening to something and switching apps does the same cracking noise.

Restarting fixes the issue.

This seems a software issue and I cant believe Apple put this bug on the streets.

Hope to be fixed soon, use my ipad to have fun with this kind of things.

Bye.

• @KlaatuNinja said:

Yes 10.09 excellent evidence of the audio artefact, point the press and bloggers at this. Apple may likely ask you if you had an alien encounter, rather than acknowledge anything.

• It seems that this is common to all 2017 Pro models, as even some that report no problem usually report they clear memory, restart etc. No doubt as well this is widespread geographically, further questioning that it could be a faulty 'batch'.

• can we say there’s consistency in the anomalies timing? I find it interesting that the noise clears after ten or so seconds.

• I’m going to try to reproduce this with just GarageBand and no 3rd party plugins. I have a feeling that if it can be consistently reproduced with just Apple app > OS > hardware in the chain then Apple will be forced to escalate this issue.

• edited October 2017

@gusgranite said:
    I’m going to try to reproduce this with just GarageBand and no 3rd party plugins. I have a feeling that if it can be consistently reproduced with just Apple app > OS > hardware in the chain then Apple will be forced to escalate this issue.

If it can be done, then they can't pass the buck. Well unless they blame those old fashioned headphone thingies.

• I want to add that the cracking noise happens to me without headphones too.

Every switch to another app there is that bothering noise.

With Garageband only I cant reproduce the situation, it starts when I open Audiobus, Gadget and Loopy.

Is anyone having this problem too?

• I had no problem until I plugged a lead in for the video, through the iPad speakers I had no issues...

• Using any app (BIAS FX, Tonestack, Quantiloop with Bias routed into the inputs) for a physical guitar plugged in via my iRig HD 2 has no problem through the included headphone port via the iRig HD 2.

No latency or crackles. Played for almost 2hrs... Has anyone else played using this or a similar combination?

• Hmm, maybe Apple felt even more “courage” and found a way to nudge iPad users away from that gross and old fashioned hole into the great wireless future...

• edited October 2017

oops didn’t know how to delete this comment, so ...

• @Thelast27 , was the ipad mic active? - that seems to be where the latency originates. The crackle may have a different origin.

• Using my Venoms built in Audio Card played for absolutely ages, no latency and no sound breakup with iOS 11. Then back to the headphones using BM3 and within a few minutes latency then sound breakup, the CPU usage for the session was topping out at 40% but when the latency and sound broke up, it was going crazy 1-100% rapidly. On restarting BM3 it was sometimes silent AUs crashing.

• Just curious - if one uses any audio interface (I am using the Korg PlugKey) and avoids using the headphone port, can you avoid the latency and sound breakup/crackling issues?

• @HokieKev said:
    Just curious - if one uses any audio interface (I am using the Korg PlugKey) and avoids using the headphone port, can you avoid the latency and sound breakup/crackling issues?

For me, so far, it has worked, but others have reported the problem when using Sound cards, so it may be just down to testing the card, there may be different results based on the card, this I know can be the case with class compliant cards used with the Raspberry Pi, some work, some don’t.

• I'm on the road without my Pro. Anybody had any luck with 11.0.2 with alleged crackling fix for iPhone 8?