Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audient iD14 - is it compatible with iOS?

ALBALB
edited September 2017 in General App Discussion

This is the bigger brother to the iD4. Is it also iOS compatible? The available literature and videos online tout the iD4 as an ideal iOS companion, but do not mention the iD14 in the same way. Any real life experience?

Comments

• I have the iD22 it works flawlessly with a few caveats which shouldn't apply to the iD14. i also have the id4 but ive only used it once. just make sure you use a powered usb hub for best results. an unpowered hub may or may not work. and as with the id4 it definitely wont plug directly into the cck as it will bring up the draws too much power error.

• @ChisomoK said:
    I have the iD22 it works flawlessly with a few caveats which shouldn't apply to the iD14. i also have the id4 but ive only used it once. just make sure you use a powered usb hub for best results. an unpowered hub may or may not work. and as with the id4 it definitely wont plug directly into the cck as it will bring up the draws too much power error.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

• @ALB ive just tested my id4 and i assume the experience will be the same with the id14. it works directly into the cck without a hub, however the moment you want to engage phantom power you will need a powered hub but should be fine without one for line in and di stuff. i could be mistaken but worst case i imagine you could get away with an unpowered hub for mobile use as long as you aren't engaging phantom power. cheers

• edited September 2017

@ChisomoK said:
    @ALB ive just tested my id4 and i assume the experience will be the same with the id14. it works directly into the cck without a hub, however the moment you want to engage phantom power you will need a powered hub but should be fine without one for line in and di stuff. i could be mistaken but worst case i imagine you could get away with an unpowered hub for mobile use as long as you aren't engaging phantom power. cheers

Agreed. I also have an iD14 and it definitely works great with a USB3 CCK (no phantom).

• Thanks to you both!

• Just a follow-up: the iD14 does indeed work with the iPad after a very easy setup. The jfet direct in for guitar/bass has a really nice character, too.

• My ID4 will not work with latest CCK, still needs a powered hub, and Audients website says it needs a powered hub too.
    May well be an Air2 issue though, non of my USB interfaces will work without a powered hub.

• I also have an Air-2 and use an ID22 with the classic CCK, no problems

• The ID4 and the ID14 both need the Cck AND the powered hub.

• edited October 2017

just checked - the ID4 is only bus-powered, so it makes sense.
    But the ID14 can be powered by it's own supply, so possibly USB negotiations go wrong.
    The ID22 doesn't support bus power in any way.
    Sidenote: it's internal stabilisation is top notch. Never seen this design in any other device.
    No pics available about the ID14's guts.

• iD4 working fine over here with USB3 CCK. AWESOME little interface.

• Has anyone tried ADAT In with IOS?

• edited December 2018

AUM shows all Adat in/outs of the ID22 as available options, with an ID14 the additional 8 input channels will show up just the same (it has no Adat output).
    But you cannot control an Audient interface from IOS, the control panel is Win/Mac only.
    If the interface gets 'confused' about sample rate or clock-master settings, you might need a PC/Mac to get it back on track.
    Normally it's not a problem - it syncs fine to IOS via USB, but I remember mine was bitching around (on rare occasions).
    The ID22 a very good box, for both input and monitor output - a class above the iCA4+ or Scarlett, Steinberg UR and similiar.

ps: just as right now... I've connected the iPad to the ID22 and the optical connector to the PC, which shows the signal as S/PDIF. Impossible to change to Adat from IOS...
    The S/PDIF is working flawless, and things may be more simple with an ID14 - but I have no clue how to force the interface into Adat mode. Might work with an Adat sender out of the box possibly, but the interface doesn't store it's last configuration.
    (unless Audient changed that meanwhile, my unit is a couple of years old)

• Humm... thanks
    Last week I bought ID4 for IOS cause I thought it was smaller than really was. Thinking to upgrade to ID14 due similar size and ADAT input but if I can’t choose ADAT input from the IPAD I’ll keep ID4

• It depends on how the unit's firmware initializes the optical port on power up.
    I cannot guarantee that ID22 and ID14 behave exactly identical - they are very similiar, but not the same in software.

On the other hand Adat input only (with no output connector) always bears some risk in sync clock quality. The system MUST switch to the external Adat device's clock, as the interface can't send it's clock (for no output).
    I'd always recommend Adat in/out just to be on the safe side and have all sync options.
    (digital clock is crucial for conversion quality)

• @Telefunky said:

what's your opinion on the jfet DI? have you used guitar or bass with the audient?

how is the latency on IOS? i recall reading about poor latency on these interfaces when they first came out...do you know if audient switched to custom drivers?

• edited December 2018

It's a very good DI, as the whole input/conversion stage. If you turn the gain knob just a tick below max, AUM shows a noise level of -74 dB with a dynamic mic plugged in (the input isn't gated). I have both 'better' DI and mic pre with vintage Telefunken studio modules, but that's negligible. The ID22 is particular great in phase accuracy of the signal, the signal sounds more detailed with a solid low mid range.
    Early versions of the interface had some trouble with a heatsink on a power regulation part, which they probably improved with follow up units.

Latency is fine and it follows what you choose in AUM - you can hear a small negotiation noise whenever it syncs with an app. Which effectively means that the process depends on the respective app. On desktop you have a dedicated control panel for these settings and the routing, both unavailable in IOS (you have to monitor through software, not their latency free mixer panel, which is a pity, but not a dealbreaker imho)

The driver is a standard class compliant thing, otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
    Only the control panel software is custom (for Mac and Windoze).

This is my Telecaster throgh the DI, JamUp with a clean Fender model and a bit of their 63 Reverb.

• @Telefunky said:
    It's a very good DI, as the whole input/conversion stage. If you turn the gain knob just a tick below max, AUM shows a noise level of -74 dB with a dynamic mic plugged in (the input isn't gated). I have both 'better' DI and mic pre with vintage Telefunken studio modules, but that's negligible.

thank you Telefunky :-) i'll have a listen in a moment.

do the telefunkens have a different distortion characteristic? assuming input and/or output transformers (haufe?).

thank you also for the reminder of ios class compliant drivers. pity.

• That vintage broadcast gear was built with maximum fidelity in mind and has an enormous headroom. I use a V357 as 'DI', but that application didn't exist back then.
    It's a full amplifier supposed to connect up to 4 unbalanced high impedance sources to studio gear on 2 balanced outputs. The tone is smooth, yet incredibly 'snappy' and the unit can even drive headphones, the best 'practice with cans' unit for bass I know. Comparable to an Avalon U5.

All these modules (looking like shrinked Eurorack) have very low output impedance that requires (!) proper loading around 300 Ohm. Connecting directly to current interface line inputs (10 kOhm and above) definitely spoils the sound. The high quality output transformer is a significant part of the construction and probably the source of that specific character, which is hard to describe... the signal just fits.

But it's NOT night and day when compared to Audient, Apogee, RME, UAD or Metric Halo interfaces.

• @Telefunky

Thank you for sharing telefunky :-) I didn't expect that the Audient would be so close to a Telefunken in terms of tone/sound. The law of diminishing returns rears its head again ;-)

Nice tone ( and playing ) on your audio file.

• I'm tempted to get an Audient interface at some point, but I'm just so spoiled with the midi routing in the iCA4+. Curious how people using these manage complex routing, all done w apps and the same usb hub?

What I love about the iconnect stuff is that you can really set it and forget it with fairly complex midi routings such as the kind I require. Even though the software is godawful, the thing is a powerhouse. Just really not impressed with the preamps. I A/Bed them with a friend's iD14 and the difference was drastic, especially in the lowend.

• edited December 2018

@frond thanks a lot, but actually they aren't that close - several of my Telefunken based recordings weren't properly impedance matched (had to learn by doing... mistakes). ;)
    Of course such dedicated preamps (as well as Neve, API, Focusrite ISA, etc) are a different league than most interface designs. The difference may seem subtle (and in relation to price it really is), but one gets used to that particular 'extra' rather quickly.
    Imh ears the Audient ID preamps sit right between vintage legends and modern integrated designs (PGA2500) as used by RME and UAD.
    ps: if you're interested in tech details you find everything on this page (German of course)
    http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/index.cgi

• I have some doubts regarding the Audient id14, i would be grateful if you could solve them 😅

• Direct monitoring can only be done from the software, but the option remains saved in the hardware after changing in the PC? Can i have in this way Direct Monitoring working in the iPad?
    • You have noticed latency problems with Cubasis, GB, Auria......
    • CCK withouth HUB works? Wall power plus CCK works? What works??? Haha

Thanks!!!

• Direct monitoring is most useful when tracking acoustic sources - in that case one disables the DAW's track monitor. Otherwise raw and processed signal play with a tiny offset. Which may actually sound nice, but delivers the wrong acoustic picture.

With guitar amp sims or other live effects direct monitoring is pointless.

In IOS an audio interface communicates with a single class compliant driver - never with apps.

I'd prefer external power sources instead of bus power, too much electrosmog on USB lines.

• Here’s the iPad (2017/A1823) + ID14 setup I made recently to have a mobile stereo microphone configuration with phantom power:

I know it’s a bit ugly but I’m waiting for the delivery of XLR cables that are optimal length without excess. 🤓

What you need:
    -ID14 + original USB cable
    -iPad + original lightning-to-USB cable
    -CCK USB3 to Lightning adapter
    -Powerbank with 2 USB ports (not USB Hub) that has 5V/3A outputs.
    -5V to 12v step-up adapter (USB to DC in)

For USB cable:
    -plug it into the ID14
    -also plug it into the USB 3 of the CCK

For lightning-to-USB cable:
    -plug it into the CCK’s female Lightning port
    -also plug it into USB#1 of the powerbank

For the 5v to 12 step-up-adapter:
    -plug it into the USB#2 of the powerbank
    -also plug it into the DC input of ID14

Lastly, plug your iPad into the CCK.

That one main youtube video example from 2015 with the powered USB hub is great, but it made me lose so much time because the product no longer exist... so I had to do more research in circles until I found that a powered USB Hub is not necessary. I had no knowledge in these areas a few weeks ago. Now, I have no knowledge of anything else.

I believe this solution is a bit more elegant than the youtube one. This one has 20,000mAh from a dedicated powerbank instead of 6000mAh from a powered USB hub where there’s also 3 un-used ports. I guess the positive response to that video is partly because it just “works”.... nevermind reducing it to the essential system, which I tried to do.

Plus... you have mobile phantom power! 😎 That’s the most important for me, because my ribbon microphones benefit greatly from using the Cloudlifter to get a lot more clean gain. I record acoustic instruments and ensembles. The 5v-to-12v adapter is the secret handshake for my whole setup.

I have another mobile acoustic recording rig for my iPhone using the old RME Babyface and a most basic iPhone USB battery pack with only 1 port by Mophie. The portable phantom power box by ART uses a regular 9v battery. This first rig for my SDCs was very easy to setup (I just needed to buy the original CCK), so I wasn’t ready for the system design challenge of the ID14 power requirements. 😒

Once I got it to work though, with the phantom power and massive battery supply... I was quite happy! Much cheaper than I expected, too.

Hope this helps!

• Man, I had to look hard at this. I thought it was a damn vacuum cleaner.

• @Telefunky said:
    Direct monitoring is most useful when tracking acoustic sources - in that case one disables the DAW's track monitor. Otherwise raw and processed signal play with a tiny offset. Which may actually sound nice, but delivers the wrong acoustic picture.
    With guitar amp sims or other live effects direct monitoring is pointless.
    In IOS an audio interface communicates with a single class compliant driver - never with apps.
    I'd prefer external power sources instead of bus power, too much electrosmog on USB lines.

Thanks, finally bought the id4, works really fine with the USB 3 CCK

• edited May 2019

I wonder if any of the folks here using an id4 or id14 with an iPad are still around and could answer a question. I’m assuming that the Scroll Control functionality on the main knob does nothing in iOS, given that iPads don’t support mice and I am not aware of another way to supply context. Is this true, or is there still a way to get it to control software faders/knobs?

• Your assumption is correct: that dial only controls the internal monitor mixer and is mapped to Windoze/OSX controls - no communication path into IOS.

• @Ben said:
    Man, I had to look hard at this. I thought it was a damn vacuum cleaner.

That's funny. Because when I was just quickly scrolling down through this thread, I had the exact same thought.