Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• edited September 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    So, tell me something else that is a cool thing that I should buy this app?

:smile: others have already put it quite well, but to summarize:

• Xequence is good if you want to actually finish a song. At least for me, it is much more logical and easier to just see and arrange the entire song from left to right, without odd "but this part loops for 3 bars and the other for 4 because it is shorter" etc. stuff. It's just kinda "WYSIWYG".
    • It is available on the iPhone and the iPhone is a first class citizen here. It is optimized for small screens and is quite usable even on a 4 inch SE.
    • It uses scales throughout the app, so you can even edit notes in the pianoroll without ever placing notes outside the scale. I don't know any complete iPhone sequencer that currently does this, but then what do I know :smile:

OK, out of "ad mode" now.

@StormJH1 said:
    But I think the controller was also playing notes for both synths as long as they were active in the background. You couldn't use the mute button to silence one of them in Xequence, but I'm not sure if this is because of Xequence...

Yes, it sounds like the synths get the MIDI notes from both Xequence and directly from the controller. Unfortunately this is all a bit of trial and error as I agree that MIDI in iOS can be confusing. You just have to make sure that you try absolutely everything to "break the link" between your controller and your synths, and make your controller ONLY connected to Xequence, nothing else. You may have to do this either in your controller's accompanying app, or in the synth apps, or in both ;)

I'll have to the check the manual, but it seems like the app is auto-quantizing when I record as a default? I saw how you could quantize already-recorded notes in the editor, but it seems it just did that when they record anyway.

To the left of the Record button, there's a little menu "Q 16". That's where you set live quantization during recording (you can turn it off of course.)

To everyone, regarding the inconvenience of not having an audio metronome: when we do the Audiobus integration, we will probably need an audio engine anyway, so we might then just as well add a "normal", audible metronome. (preferably one that plays a fart on each bar ;) ) no, just kidding...

• Seems to record pretty well in BM3. Glad I picked it up!

• Lol that really made me laugh! :D

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Lol that really made me laugh! :D

?

• Farting metronome :# :D :D :D <3

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Farting metronome :# :D :D :D <3

Ahhh.

• Just please make sure the fart is tuned to the root note of the scale like the midi mapped one is now.

• @wim said:
    Just please make sure the fart is tuned to the root note of the scale like the midi mapped one is now.

I'm multisampling it right now! Just not sure about the velocity switching... :|

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

Be careful with the the wet/dry mix!!

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@SevenSystems said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    No time to read 7 pages.
    Do I buy this or not?

There's always the Quickstart Guide. It's even more than 7 pages but it's more concise (is that a contradiction?)
    http://www.seven.systems/xequence/manual/

Tell me you are the developer?

LOL

Fuck.

Let's hope the app is more logical than this response.

So, tell me.

Why would a person like this app? What is the cool unique thing about this app?

First off, I see Universal.

Huge for me. Genome is what I use. I admire Modstep.

But do no good to me on my phone.

My favorite part is when you arrive days after this discussion started and demand to be brought up to speed immediately because you can't be bothered to read the thread yourself. The actual developer of the software answers you DIRECTLY, and you give him shit!

This forum — myself included — is fucking nuts!

Because I'm going to say again: Has anybody made a video?!
    hahahaha

I wasn't giving him shit - it was tongue in cheek.

I was totally joking in response to his ironic response to my earlier post.

I really was letting him sales pitch the whole thread and see how he could do.

As always, I will buy it today or tomorrow when I have a second.

• Guys can I do multiple midi input record like say 4 midi tracks at once? Or more? I was thinking of recording Guitarism midi out of the 4 simultaneous midi tracks it outputs.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@SevenSystems said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    No time to read 7 pages.
    Do I buy this or not?

There's always the Quickstart Guide. It's even more than 7 pages but it's more concise (is that a contradiction?)

LOL

Fuck.

So, tell me.

My favorite part is when you arrive days after this discussion started and demand to be brought up to speed immediately because you can't be bothered to read the thread yourself. The actual developer of the software answers you DIRECTLY, and you give him shit!

hahahaha

Oh, good. I was kidding too. Two masters of irony just shouting passed each other…

• @fattigman said:
    For those of you that have tried both genome and xequencer. How do they differ?

Genome is pattern based. This one is linear.

• @wim said:
    Another thing I like a lot is the easy ability to create multiple "lanes" for a single instrument. I like to separate out my hats, percussion, etc. from the main beat, and this makes that a breeze - much more so than BM3 and other DAWs.

AB3 Midi and Link, which are coming, will put it way over the top.

Agreed! This really is a cool feature. It allows one to treat this linear based sequencer to act as a pattern based sequencer ( ie a single pattern on each track, yet using the same instrument. The same with each clip of midi automation for each available MIDI CC. I could easily see myself using 16 tracks for just one instrument. Furthermore, imagine layering multiple synths to play the same midi sequence at the same time with different CC controls. It could get even more advanced!! The only real hard limit is 16 individual controlling midi channels!! It’s really quite impressive!!

• @StormJH1 said:
    But I think the controller was also playing notes for both synths as long as they were active in the background. You couldn't use the mute button to silence one of them in Xequence, but I'm not sure if this is because of Xequence...it could simply be that the apps themselves are accepting MIDI messages from the nanoKEY2 in the background. This is why I hate MIDI and software synths sometimes :) But it is working.

Just verifying your observations: this is exactly what I'm battling with with some apps (a bit of offtopic allowed? Xequence can't do anything about this.) For example iWAVESTATION receives MIDI from every source and channel. That being so, if I have an external controller connected and I'm routing MIDI events from controller -> Xequence (with MIDI thru enabled) -> iWAVESTATION, the app receives them twice. Then when I change the active instrument in Xequence so that it outputs to a different destination and channel and use the controller, both the new selected destination and iWAVESTATION receive the events. Sigh.

• Just verifying your observations: this is exactly what I'm battling with with some apps (a bit of offtopic allowed? Xequence can't do anything about this.) For example iWAVESTATION receives MIDI from every source and channel. That being so, if I have an external controller connected and I'm routing MIDI events from controller -> Xequence (with MIDI thru enabled) -> iWAVESTATION, the app receives them twice. Then when I change the active instrument in Xequence so that it outputs to a different destination and channel and use the controller, both the new selected destination and iWAVESTATION receive the events. Sigh.

Sorry if this is now getting slightly off topic from Xequence, but Korg's annoying midi channel oversight with iwavestation has an easy workaround. Load Gadget as a generator in AUM. Load Militipas in Gadget. Set MIDI (in Gadget) to Advanced. Set the midi input for Militipas gadget to Gadget Virtual In Channel X. Route Midi in to AUM on your channel of choice X. For more complex midi routing, use any of the excellent midiflow tools from audiobus 3 into AUM and on to Militipas. This also works with a few other apps that do not detect coremidi vs IAA midi and need their channel isolated upstream.

• @Pavel said:
    @memelord said:

Yes, I was also suggesting to "isolate" "badly-behaved" apps by MIDI channel. Glad you beat me to it :)

@RUST( i )K said:

Hey, I'm not a salesman at all, and I didn't even start the whole thread! B)

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys can I do multiple midi input record like say 4 midi tracks at once? Or more? I was thinking of recording Guitarism midi out of the 4 simultaneous midi tracks it outputs.

Currently, this is not possible, but Guitarism is an interesting use case of recording multiple MIDI channels at once onto different tracks. We will have a look if this can be made possible in a future update.

• Thanks! Reason I ask is cause when I play Guitarism it has a way to output the Bass, Chord , and Guitarism ‘s strumming midi tracks simultaneously and this allowing the user to record the output as midi in a daw of choice. This would be awesome to create several tracks of midi simultaneously.

@SevenSystems said:

@Pavel said:
    @memelord said:

Yes, I was also suggesting to "isolate" "badly-behaved" apps by MIDI channel. Glad you beat me to it :)

@RUST( i )K said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys can I do multiple midi input record like say 4 midi tracks at once? Or more? I was thinking of recording Guitarism midi out of the 4 simultaneous midi tracks it outputs.

Currently, this is not possible, but Guitarism is an interesting use case of recording multiple MIDI channels at once onto different tracks. We will have a look if this can be made possible in a future update.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Pavel said:
    @memelord said:

Yeah, usually that's the way, but iWAVESTATION doesn't let you choose the channel at all, it's always omni over CoreMIDI :smiley: (though It supports IAA MIDI as well, but not AB3 AFAIK).

@SevenSystems said:
    Currently, when you start playback, Xequence immediately sends an SPP for the next beat, and then a Continue exactly on that beat.

This is actually what I'm seeing here, I remembered it wrong on the previous post. The Volca starts playing at about beat 1.2, but for some reason it's not always exactly on the beat. I'll do some more testing to see if this is somehow a Volca issue, if I can find something external that should also use MIDI clock.

@SevenSystems said:
    BTW: If you happen to know an app that shows the same behavior as the Volca, that would be great for testing.

Unfortunately I don't.

• I think the best way to tackle this is to include an option "Start MIDI clock: Immediately | Next beat | Next bar", per instrument. That way, apps without an idea of song position can be dealt with.

As for the "not always exactly on the beat", may that be a latency problem with the hardware interface? Xequence sends off timestamped MIDI data ahead of time, including MIDI clock, so there's not really much that can go wrong there...

• Great idea!

@SevenSystems said:
    I think the best way to tackle this is to include an option "Start MIDI clock: Immediately | Next beat | Next bar", per instrument. That way, apps without an idea of song position can be dealt with.

As for the "not always exactly on the beat", may that be a latency problem with the hardware interface? Xequence sends off timestamped MIDI data ahead of time, including MIDI clock, so there's not really much that can go wrong there...

• edited September 2017

Just going to ask again.

Would be nice to have a feature of Conditional Trigs or Probability/Randomness like there is in Ableton Live.

• @echoopera said:
    Would be nice to have a feature of Conditional Trigs or Probability/Randomness like there is in Ableton Live.

Oh sorry, that one slipped through. Yes I'll have a look at that, thanks for the suggestion.

• @SevenSystems said:

@echoopera said:

Oh sorry, that one slipped through. Yes I'll have a look at that, thanks for the suggestion.

Cool. Thanks <3 B)

• @Audiojunkie said:

@fattigman said:
    For those of you that have tried both genome and xequencer. How do they differ?

Genome is pattern based. This one is linear.

Genome is also iPad-only and hasn't been updated in 11+ months. If we're comparing Xequence to the available MIDI apps that are iPad only, the competition becomes more robust. For awhile, I didn't even bother looking for a dedicated MIDI recording app, since MultiTrackStudio was pretty proficient at doing that. (It even did cool things like recording monophonic raw audio and converting that to MIDI data!). But I think Xequence is still interesting (and I did buy the base app) specifically because it work on an iPhone, and has a pretty good depth of features.

Yes, the internal fart-noise metronome would be very helpful. It's just one more thing to have to configure when you link everything up.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@SevenSystems said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    No time to read 7 pages.
    Do I buy this or not?

LOL

Fuck.

So, tell me.

hahahaha

Oh, good. I was kidding too. Two masters of irony just shouting passed each other…

FUCKING CLASSIC!

Its a "Who the fuck is on first asshole" bit.....LOL

love and hugs! LOL

• @SevenSystems said:

@Pavel said:
    @memelord said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

You are a great sport and have patience that is for sure........better person then i.

• edited September 2017

@RUST( i )K said:
    You are a great sport and have patience that is for sure........better person then i.

Yeah but I do run around with a chainsaw from time to time, great for getting rid of that frustration! :) (yes, my first "serious" gaming experience was DOOM!)