Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Comments

• @wim said:
    I like this app a lot. You are right about the niche it fills for the iPhone. It's also a very well done app, and I like that it's focused on doing one thing and doing it well.

Thanks a lot!

The only thing I'm struggling with a bit is readability on the small screen. Those fonts are tiny, and the contrast of things like the grid lines is very slight (to me). I had a really tough time last night seeing where the grid lines were.
    Not a complaint .... just some feedback from an old tired-eyed geezer.

To be honest, I'm extremely short-sighted (-8) and when I use a smartphone, I take off the glasses and stick the phone pretty much into my eyes, that's why I probably don't notice such things o:)

However, adding a light skin or maybe a "high contrast" one would certainly be something that is not too technically difficult.

• edited September 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks bro! I wonder if this is too much for me if I already have KRFT and I'm not that advanced in Midi. But if say I wanted to record a midi performance I did on LayR would layr be recorded as midi in this sequencer? Can you loop a section while recording a different track that goes beyond the looped points?

Hello... there's two ways of looping stuff in Xequence:

• The global song loop (the "Loop" menu at the top). That loops a fixed section of the song, adding recorded notes over and over while recording. But that's probably not what you want.
    • Looping individual parts (clips, patterns, whatever...). This can be enabled by selecting a part, and then from the "Magic Wand" menu at the bottom, choose "Loop on". The selected parts will then simply repeat forever on the timeline until they hit another part on the same track. I think this is what you want, as you can then go on other tracks and record stuff as long as you desire, while the stuff in the looped part(s) keeps repeating.

And yes, you can record MIDI from other apps by enabling "MIDI In" in Xequence's Settings screen (the "..." button at the top left), and then just hitting the Record button. Some apps need "Sources: Any", some need to be selected explicitly in the "Sources" menu. We didn't test LayR.

a.png 205.6K
  • wimwim
    edited September 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks bro! I wonder if this is too much for me if I already have KRFT and I'm not that advanced in Midi. But if say I wanted to record a midi performance I did on LayR would layr be recorded as midi in this sequencer? Can you loop a section while recording a different track that goes beyond the looped points?

@audiblevideo said:
    @MusicMan4Christ nah, just that you can "arrange" a song linearly like ABAB - Bridge - (where's that confounded bridge?) etc...

Does LayR have Midi out? If not, then no.
    No you can't loop one section while recording another that's not looped. At least I don't think so. However, you could copy a bunch of patterns for as long as you want, then record against that.
    [edit] nvm. What he said^

• Cool so basically this is what I had wished Looperverse was but in midi fashion.

• Got it.
    It looks like it is well designed and will be very useful on the iPhone (and iPad)

• Bought the app. Look forward to some of the additional work on it (particularly MIDI file export and better "Open In" functionality), but it's a nice app that appealed to me because of robust MIDI recording, looping, and editing in a universal app.

However, the one thing I really wanted to do with it, I haven't been able to get to work yet, and I must be missing something silly. I simply want to plug in a USB MIDI keyboard (like a Korg nanoKEY2) and record MIDI data with it. I'm able to record MIDI notes with the virtual keyboard into the app, and play sounds with MIDI routing in a synth app (such as Korg's iMonoPoly). But the app isn't recording MIDI data from my nanoKEY2 inputs, and I don't know why.

Under Track 1, for example, you can click the MIDI button and route it to a music app. This should be MIDI "Out" however, as in sending the data to the app to play sounds. I found a MIDI In option in the settings menu, turned it on and linked it to the nanoKEY2. Still, it would play the notes audibly via MIDI, but the MIDI notes did not record in the track.

Am I failing to "arm" something? Is there another setting I'm missing somehow? I don't understand why this doesn't work. Thanks!

• This sentence would suggest IAA-MIDI is being used.

Works perfectly with e.g. AUM or Gadget as hosts / sound generators, or with Beatmaker 2 for synced audio tracks

But this sentence contradicts that theory.

If you want to use MIDI hardware, you might need an app like MidiBridge

@SevenSystems could you comment on the protocols being utilized in this app...thanks?

• @TheMediocritist : Thanks for your answer (modstepvs x

• @StormJH1 said:
    I simply want to plug in a USB MIDI keyboard (like a Korg nanoKEY2) and record MIDI data with it. I'm able to record MIDI notes with the virtual keyboard into the app, and play sounds with MIDI routing in a synth app (such as Korg's iMonoPoly). But the app isn't recording MIDI data from my nanoKEY2 inputs, and I don't know why.

Just making sure; did you enable MIDI In in Settings/MIDI & Recording and if yes was your keyboard visible in Sources? :smile:

• @chris_foster said:
    @SevenSystems could you comment on the protocols being utilized in this app...thanks?

Xequence uses plain CoreMIDI Sources, Destinations, and Ports (it creates / uses all of those in order to be as compatible as possible), but there may be situations / hardware that we couldn't test and that still don't work (we only have very limited testing hardware available). No IAA.

@StormJH1 said:
    Am I failing to "arm" something? Is there another setting I'm missing somehow? I don't understand why this doesn't work. Thanks!

Can you try the following:

• In Settings ("..." at the top left), enable "MIDI In"
    • Right next to it, make sure it says "Sources: Any".
    • Try playing keys on your hardware keyboard, and check if the same keys in Xequence's Keyboard react (be sure to play keys that are actually in the current scale!)
    • If it doesn't work, please go back to Settings, then tap on "Sources: Any", and see if your nanoKEY2 is listed there. If so, enable it
    • Try playing the keys again.
    • If it still doesn't work, you could try the app "MIDIFire" (formerly MIDIBridge), that can do a lot of conversions between MIDI Routings and protocols, however, we couldn't try it with your setup.

Also regarding workflow (this will be in the forthcoming manual): Once you got this to work, you can use Xequence as your central MIDI "Hub", i.e., your nanoKEY2 only needs to send MIDI to Xequence and nothing else, as Xequence can automatically route all MIDI it receives to the instrument of the currently selected track. (Enable "MIDI Thru" in Settings). This makes everything much more streamlined, as you shouldn't ever have to change any MIDI setting / routing again while working on a project. (this is like desktop DAWs a la Cubase etc.)

• @SevenSystems - thanks for the response and congrats on the launch. I suspect it was one of those steps I was missing. Will try and report back if I still can't get it.

• This app needs ableton link. Pretty much the only thing stopping me from buying it. Midi clock is a pain in the arse when syncing multiple iPads/PC's/Macs for a jam session.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @MusicMan4Christ nah, just that you can "arrange" a song linearly like ABAB - Bridge - (where's that confounded bridge?) etc...

Haha! You're reference made me crunge. :D

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    This app needs ableton link.

Seeing all these voices for Link, we might actually switch priorities and implement Link before Audiobus.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Seeing all these voices for Link, we might actually switch priorities and implement Link before Audiobus.

A good resource for Link/AUM is

Modern sync technologies

• @SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

I have a suspicion that many of us use them both in concert...

• edited September 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

+1. Having/using both is (pretty much) the platform state of the art. (Which means of course we now expect both :) )

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    +1. Having/using both is (pretty much) the platform state of the art. (Which means of course we now expect both :) )

That is the plan. I'm just not sure if you'll get either one first, or both at once ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

That is the plan. I'm just not sure if you'll get either one first, or both at once ;)

Many thanks
    It's already a tremendous tool, keep up the good work

• Would really love to see some vids guys in actual use.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Would really love to see some vids guys in actual use.

We should be doing a video after we finish the quickstart manual... however, if someone here has the time to do one, we'll invite them over for a beer at the Dunbrody Cafe when they're in the area ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Would really love to see some vids guys in actual use.

We should be doing a video after we finish the quickstart manual... however, if someone here has the time to do one, we'll invite them over for a beer at the Dunbrody Cafe when they're in the area ;)

Long way from Austin to Wexford, but that scamp Sir Doug (@thesoundtestroom) is in Cornwall somewhere and could surely borrow a barge and come to see you.

• edited September 2017

Hi everyone,

we now have a preliminary Quickstart Guide, both online:

http://www.seven.systems/xequence/manual/

and as a PDF download:

http://www.seven.systems/xequence/downloads/XequenceQuickstartGuide.pdf

This should clear a few things up. We're still working on the chapter on example setups.

Have fun!

• Ok so late to the party on this. Just downloaded the basic version. First thought was is it a Modstep clone. At least this has undo redo.

To SevenSystems
    First major grip from the senior community can we have a white skin choice. As a black skin only is a nightmare to view in certain lighting conditions when your eyes are not A1 anymore.

The piano roll seems pretty smooth apart from the above.

Haven’t found out how you change the colour of the tracks yet? Is that only in with IAP model?

First five minutes

• Hi @Jumpercollins,

@Jumpercollins said:
    Ok so late to the party on this. Just downloaded the basic version. First thought was is it a Modstep clone. At least this has undo redo.

No, it has a completely different approach to Modstep. It is linear, not pattern based. i.e. it lets you arrange the song freely and in a "1 inch of screen space = 1 minute of music" (so to say) fashion. To me personally, this way of arranging music is more approachable, maybe that's because my brain is already rusty.

Of course you also have the option of repeating / looping patterns which can be centrally edited in one place (various variations (is that even a word?) to choose from).

To SevenSystems
    First major grip from the senior community can we have a white skin choice. As a black skin only is a nightmare to view in certain lighting conditions when your eyes are not A1 anymore.

Skins are already on the wishlist for one of the next updates and the technical foundations for those have already been laid. The first alpha versions were even darker! :o

Haven’t found out how you change the colour of the tracks yet? Is that only in with IAP model?

The tracks and parts take the color of the instrument that is assigned to the track. The keyboard as well. i.e., in Xequence, the color belongs to the instrument, and all user interface elements in the app then reflect which instrument they affect / belong to. So, if you assign "Blue" to your Bassline synth, the bassline track(s) will be blue, the keyboard will be blue when you call it up, the controllers for the bassline will be drawn in blue, etc.

There's also a manual available both in PDF and online which gives a good overview over the basic concepts of the app.

Hope that helps!

• So far I love it. Been looking for a iphone sequencer to make projects using apps that don't have sequencers built in. The layout reminds me of nanostudio a little bit. Digging it a lot so far

• Thanks very much for the manual. It's already solved the mystery of glissando!
    Brilliant sequencer, by the way. Does the job with no fuss, and very pleasant on the eye.

• Hi @Jumpercollins

@Jumpercollins said:
    Ok so late to the party on this. Just downloaded the basic version. First thought was is it a Modstep clone. At least this has undo redo.

Xequence has a quite different approach to Modstep. It has a linear timeline (arranger), i.e. "1 inch of screen space = 1 minute of song", so to say. This just works better in my rusty brain. Of course, you still have the option to clone and loop parts, so they can be used in various places in the song, but still stay centrally editable (more info in the manual). The options are really quite exhaustive.

Yes, this has been noted in the wishlist for an update. The technical foundations for skins are there. Believe it or not, the first alpha versions were even darker! :o

In Xequence, the colors belong to the instruments. i.e., if you assign Blue to your Bassline instrument, all tracks that are assigned to the Bassline will be blue, the keyboard will be blue when called up from the bassline track, the pianoroll will show blue notes, etc. So, "This and that color = this and that instrument".

You can find the manual when you go to Settings ("..." at the top left") and then scroll down to "Help / feedback". Let me know if you've any further questions!

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

Just to clarify, my difficulty is not with the color, but the contrast for things like the timeline grid. I really don’t care if it’s light or dark, but when I can’t see the lines it’s really difficult.

Tiny fonts ... not too important once you know where things are. I can definitely live with that.

Love the app!

• @SevenSystems said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

No! Please don't! Audiobus Midi In is the most important, and Ableton LINK is a very close second. If anything, please develop them concurrently. :smiley: