Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence midi sequencer ?

Not that we need another midi sequencer but have you all seen this app
Xequence | MIDI Sequencer by Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xequence-midi-sequencer/id1279011478?mt=8

Comments

• What is the in app purchase for and how much is it? You can no longer see this information in the App Store.

• Awesome!!!! There aren't enough sequencers for the iPhone!! Does it do Audiobus Midi In? That would be perfect!!!

• edited September 2017

COMING IN AN UPDATE:

• Audiobus 3 MIDI
    • MIDI file import / export
    • "Open In..." support for importing and exporting projects
    • ...and many more!

Ooooh!!!! Insta-buy!!!!!!!

• It still needs Link support so that everything can start at the same time. :smile:

• Just bought it. I'll see how things go. :smiley:

• Seriously 4 tracks for £8.99 ??

XEQUENCE

An efficient, reliable and usable linear MIDI Sequencer and Keyboard / Controller for iOS.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Very efficient User Interface for an amazing editing workflow on a mobile device
    Scale-Aware Keyboards and Pianoroll Editor: All modules and functions observe the current instrument's scale
    Extremely tight, best-in-class MIDI Out timing
    100% accurate song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
    Robust controller (CC) handling with backtracing
    Supports any time signature
    MIDI In and Thru with full re-channelization and re-routing to currently selected instrument
    MIDI Sync Master (MIDI Clock, SPP) - other DAWs can run in accurate sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks
    Works perfectly with e.g. AUM or Gadget as hosts / sound generators, or with Beatmaker 2 for synced audio tracks
    ARRANGER:

Unlimited Parts
    Unlimited Tracks (In-App Purchase)
    64 Undo/Redo steps
    Per-track non-destructive Swing and Delay (timeshift +/- 200 ms)
    Any Track can be routed to any Instrument
    Parts can either be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all the copies)
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Parts, Invert
    Two selection modes: Add & Replace
    Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join
    All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and parts
    Individual Parts can be named
    Per Track Mute/Solo
    Draw mode
    Position/Length Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
    PIANOROLL EDITOR:

256 Undo/Redo steps
    Fully scale-aware, all editing operations observe the current instrument's scale
    Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
    Live Auditioning of all edits and mini keyboard keys on the left
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert
    Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Transpose +/- 12, Fill part with selection
    Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
    All editing settings remembered intelligently. It works like magic! (tm)
    Note velocities can be edited as if they were controllers, see below:
    CONTROLLER EDITOR:

256 Undo/Redo steps
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Beat Position, Invert
    Two Selection modes: Add & Replace
    Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Fill part with selection
    Smart Draw mode
    Automatic removal of redundant controllers
    Velocities of notes can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
    KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:

Fully scale-aware single or dual keyboards
    Base key and last played notes highlighted for easier orientation
    Three modes: Scroll, Glide, Lock
    Three available key widths
    Up to three CCs (controllers) can be shown as touch bands next to the keyboard
    All three CCs can be controlled either via touch or device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), with pickup
    Velocity emulation option (via vertical position on key)
    INSTRUMENTS:

Unlimited Instruments (an Instrument is a MIDI destination + channel)
    Up to 3 definable CCs (Controllers) per Instrument
    Compatible with virtually ALL synths and hosts
    VARIOUS:

MIDI Metronome
    Ruler can be either fixed or modal (dismissed automatically after position change, to preserve screen space)

• Hoorah I love it when I don't have to fight my appoholicism just not tempted by this at all

• WHERE THE HELL WAS THIS APP ALL THIS TIME? Lol
    Anyway, hope they include Link. But I love that it's light weight, universal and can export midi. IAP for additional channels though... boooo. But glad to see someone finally doing a no bullshit multi channel, midi sequencer. Putting this in my app store wishli.... UUUMMMM, WHERE'S MY WISHLIST IN IOS11??

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Awesome!!!! There aren't enough sequencers for the iPhone!! Does it do Audiobus Midi In? That would be perfect!!!

Actually, this is true. There really aren't a ton of great MIDI sequencers that are also iPhone compatible. There's that "MIDI Sketch" app (http://appshopper.com/music/midi-editor-music-sketchpad), which used to be $5 or less, not $15, and I used that a bunch because it was available on-the-go, even though it had a bunch of limitations. The U.I. just so-so and it was originally limited to either 16 or 32 bars, so you couldn't really work on whole songs. Don't know if it's been revised since, and we also now have Gadget and some other DAW's that can double as a MIDI editor, but sometimes are missing functions.

So Xequence does kind of interest me, and it has a lot of the tools I'd need for sketching (cut/copy; quantizing; etc.). The 4 track limitation is pretty maddening for a $9 product, but if I'm being honest, I'd never use more than that. What I would want this for is to drive one or maybe two other apps or pieces of hardware, with sketch ideas that I write on the go. I'd really love to find something that could control my Korg Volcas, but they only accept 5-pin DIN MIDI, and needing to use a separate MIDI interface box kind of defeats the whole portability goal.

It's not a DAW and the sketches you'd do on here should be exportable to another DAW, so I'm not sure how much that limitations matters. Used that way, I'm not even sure I need a 2nd track, let alone infinite tracks. But it does look like they have some work to do on the "Open In" functionality and some other missing features. Might check it out, but I consider myself warned. Haha.

• @StormJH1 said:
    There really aren't a ton of great MIDI sequencers that are also iPhone compatible. There's that "MIDI Sketch" app (http://appshopper.com/music/midi-editor-music-sketchpad), which used to be $5 or less, not $15, and I used that a bunch because it was available on-the-go, even though it had a bunch of limitations. The U.I. just so-so and it was originally limited to either 16 or 32 bars, so you couldn't really work on whole songs. Don't know if it's been revised since, and we also now have Gadget and some other DAW's that can double as a MIDI editor, but sometimes are missing functions.

Midi Sketch is no longer limited to 32, and the UI was just updated recently to improve legibility. Unfortunately, that latest update is only available for iOS 11 compatible devices. Funny, since I helped the dev with the UI changes, and now I can't use it on my old iPhone 5. Fail.

• I hate that so much.
    Either you go to 11 and loose things, or you stay at 10 and loose things because they only work with 11

• I want to see Quantum first before buying another MIDI sequencer.

• looks interesting. not many sequencers and they all have their quirks. wonder how it plays live and with externals. be good if the dev or someone could do a video. i'm skint, so can't waste any more dosh :)

• @gusgranite said:
    I want to see Quantum first before buying another MIDI sequencer.

This is a completely different type of sequencer from Quantum. This one is linear.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Just bought it. I'll see how things go. :smiley:

Cool. Two questions for you!

1. How much is the unlimited tracks IAP?
    2. Is it really limited to 3 CCs per instrument/track?

@Kkani said:
    Seriously 4 tracks for £8.99 ??

I'm assuming this is supposed to be more of a demo. The IAP represents the actual price. Still, seems a little steep for get-around-the-lack-of-demo-versions pricing. Would rather see free with one track!

• I had no problem buying the IAP. A quality sequencer for the iPhone that integrates well with Audiobus Midi and AUm is a no brainer for me. I just wish more developers would recognize that we iPhone users love getting attention, and we will happily pay. :smiley:

• @syrupcore said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Just bought it. I'll see how things go. :smiley:

Cool. Two questions for you!

1. How much is the unlimited tracks IAP?
    2. Is it really limited to 3 CCs per instrument/track?

@Kkani said:

I'm assuming this is supposed to be more of a demo. The IAP represents the actual price. Still, seems a little steep for get-around-the-lack-of-demo-versions pricing. Would rather see free with one track!

I'm at work and haven't had time to dig into it much, but 4 tracks is quite usable (especially with Midi Export to any app you want). That said, I just think of it as a 18 pound app with unlimited tracks. :wink:

I don't know if it's limited to 3 CCs per instrument/track or whether it is limited to 3 controllers per instrument/track, but it's better than most everything else for the iPhone, so as long as it performs as promised and as long as the Audiobus Midi In gets implemented as promised, I think I will be happy. :smiley: I can see already that the developer has put a lot of thought into allowing for choice when it comes to limited space on iPhones--I like that. :smiley:

• @Audiojunkie are you routing your midi connections through AUM? I can't seem to find how to link the individual instrument tracks to lets say Mood or other synths. Prob me just being daft.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Audiojunkie are you routing your midi connections through AUM? I can't seem to find how to link the individual instrument tracks to lets say Mood or other synths. Prob me just being daft.

I honestly haven't tried much of anything. I've been at work all day--I'm still at work. So I haven't been able to test things much other than to look at it. :smile:

• Hello all,

I'm Alexander and the developer of Xequence, so I thought I should just chime in and hijack this thread :wink:

@JudgeDredd said:
    What is the in app purchase for and how much is it? You can no longer see this information in the App Store.

The IAP is $8.99, and we have just lowered the base price to around $4.99 (varies by country) so nobody has to dig deeply into their pockets in order to try if Xequence suits them!

@Audiojunkie said:
    Awesome!!!! There aren't enough sequencers for the iPhone!! Does it do Audiobus Midi In? That would be perfect!!!

We think that apart from the dust-collecting Beatmaker 2, there really is no good, "normal" (linear) MIDI sequencer that works well on a phone screen, that was the main motivation for creating Xequence. And yes, Audiobus MIDI is coming in a matter of a month! :smile:

@Audiojunkie said:
    It still needs Link support so that everything can start at the same time. :smile:

Xequence supports MIDI Clock / SPP so that should already work with any app that supports receiving MIDI clock, but we consider Link for an update.

@ph8aerror said:
    it's light weight, universal and can export midi.

If you mean exporting MIDI files, this will be in one of the next updates, Xequence currently only supports "live" MIDI out, hope that's what you meant. :smile:

@Audiojunkie said:
    I don't know if it's limited to 3 CCs per instrument/track or whether it is limited to 3 controllers per instrument/track, but it's better than most everything else for the iPhone, so as long as it performs as promised and as long as the Audiobus Midi In gets implemented as promised, I think I will be happy. :smiley: I can see already that the developer has put a lot of thought into allowing for choice when it comes to limited space on iPhones--I like that. :smiley:

Thanks! :smiley: You can add up to three controllers (say, Modulation, Pitch Bend, and CC 74) per instrument. All tracks that use that instrument share the same controllers, so it is currently not possible to modulate more than 3 parameters per instrument at a time. However, the limitation to 3 controllers is completely arbitrary and can easily be lifted. We just need to find room on the screen. :smile: If many people find the limitation to 3 parameters problematic, we will lift it in the next update.

Thanks for the great feedback so far, we spent a lot of time developing Xequence and it's rewarding to see happy users.

Alexander

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Audiojunkie are you routing your midi connections through AUM? I can't seem to find how to link the individual instrument tracks to lets say Mood or other synths. Prob me just being daft.

You can route Xequence instruments to AUM instruments by choosing the "AUM" destination in Xequence, and then using a separate MIDI channel per instrument. In AUM, just tap on the three-lines-button next to the plugin at the top,
    enable "AUM Destination" under MIDI SOURCES, and then further below tap "NONE" under "CHANNEL FILTER", and then the channel you selected in Xequence. You can use up to 16 AUM instruments this way.

• @SevenSystems said:
    The IAP is $8.99, and we have just lowered the base price to around $4.99 (varies by country) so nobody has to dig deeply into their pockets in order to try if Xequence @j even system

You don't realy mean that, do you?
    Just moments ago, I bought it for 9,99 Euro!

I am not happy with that!

• @SevenSystems said:

@audiblevideo said:

You can route Xequence instruments to AUM instruments by choosing the "AUM" destination in Xequence, and then using a separate MIDI channel per instrument. In AUM, just tap on the three-lines-button next to the plugin at the top,
    enable "AUM Destination" under MIDI SOURCES, and then further below tap "NONE" under "CHANNEL FILTER", and then the channel you selected in Xequence. You can use up to 16 AUM instruments this way.

Thanks very much! How do you route in app? (Since you're here ;) ) BTW thanks for including the iphone on release. Nice interface.

Is there a PDF or online manual, so I don't spam questions :p

One more thing ... Can you record MIDI from apps (say like NodeBeat)?

• No Video?

Opps.. And No Link also...

• edited September 2017

@audiblevideo said:
    Thanks very much! How do you route in app? (Since you're here ;) ) BTW thanks for including the iphone on release. Nice interface.

Thanks. What do you mean by "route in app", can you give a bit of detail...?

Is there a PDF or online manual, so I don't spam questions :p

Not yet, but feel free to spam me here anyway :wink:

One more thing ... Can you record MIDI from apps (say like NodeBeat)?

If NodeBeat, which we didn't test, includes MIDI Out, then the answer would be Yes. In Xequence, go into Settings (the "..." button at the top left), then enable "MIDI In", and for the first try, just leave "Sources" at "Any" (if NodeBeat supports MIDI Out, it should appear as a Source there, but some Apps only work when left at "Any". Then, in NodeBeat, you'll have to select Xequence as the MIDI destination, and then you should just be able to record MIDI data from NodeBeat in Xequence normally.

EDIT: Just confirmed NodeBeat works with Xequence. You have to turn on "Background Audio" in NodeBeat, and "Send Node MIDI". Also, in Xequence, you have to turn off "Any" in MIDI "Sources" and select NodeBeat instead.

You can also turn on "MIDI Thru" so that NodeBeat plays the instrument of the currently selected track in Xequence.

• edited September 2017

Just confirmed NodeBeat works with Xequence

I'm a happy camper!!

I'm sure you have your hands full with updates and bug fixes but a couple of feature requests.

One of my favorite sequencers (Xynthesizer) on iOS has a way to LIVE transpose (Transposing you have) and easily flip midi patterns horizontally and vertically. Any possibility for that?

• @audiblevideo said:

I'm a happy camper!!

:smile: Hadn't seen NodeBeat yet. Great inspiration generator! (and MIDI In/Thru stress test!)

• @SevenSystems said:

@audiblevideo said:

I'm a happy camper!!

:smile: Hadn't seen NodeBeat yet. Great inspiration generator! (and MIDI In/Thru stress test!)

Yep pretty awesome, even better now that I can record and edit its sequences. Thanks again.

• edited September 2017

@Kkani said:

XEQUENCE

An efficient, reliable and usable linear MIDI Sequencer and Keyboard / Controller for iOS.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Very efficient User Interface for an amazing editing workflow on a mobile device
    Scale-Aware Keyboards and Pianoroll Editor: All modules and functions observe the current instrument's scale
    Extremely tight, best-in-class MIDI Out timing
    100% accurate song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
    Robust controller (CC) handling with backtracing
    Supports any time signature
    MIDI In and Thru with full re-channelization and re-routing to currently selected instrument
    MIDI Sync Master (MIDI Clock, SPP) - other DAWs can run in accurate sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks
    Works perfectly with e.g. AUM or Gadget as hosts / sound generators, or with Beatmaker 2 for synced audio tracks
    ARRANGER:

Unlimited Parts
    Unlimited Tracks (In-App Purchase)
    64 Undo/Redo steps
    Per-track non-destructive Swing and Delay (timeshift +/- 200 ms)
    Any Track can be routed to any Instrument
    Parts can either be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all the copies)
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Parts, Invert
    Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join
    All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and parts
    Individual Parts can be named
    Per Track Mute/Solo
    Draw mode
    Position/Length Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
    PIANOROLL EDITOR:

256 Undo/Redo steps
    Fully scale-aware, all editing operations observe the current instrument's scale
    Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
    Live Auditioning of all edits and mini keyboard keys on the left
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert
    Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Transpose +/- 12, Fill part with selection
    Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
    All editing settings remembered intelligently. It works like magic! (tm)
    Note velocities can be edited as if they were controllers, see below:
    CONTROLLER EDITOR:

256 Undo/Redo steps
    Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Beat Position, Invert
    Two Selection modes: Add & Replace
    Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Fill part with selection
    Smart Draw mode
    Automatic removal of redundant controllers
    Velocities of notes can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
    KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:

Fully scale-aware single or dual keyboards
    Base key and last played notes highlighted for easier orientation
    Three modes: Scroll, Glide, Lock
    Three available key widths
    Up to three CCs (controllers) can be shown as touch bands next to the keyboard
    All three CCs can be controlled either via touch or device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), with pickup
    Velocity emulation option (via vertical position on key)
    INSTRUMENTS:

Unlimited Instruments (an Instrument is a MIDI destination + channel)
    Up to 3 definable CCs (Controllers) per Instrument
    Compatible with virtually ALL synths and hosts
    VARIOUS:

MIDI Metronome
    Ruler can be either fixed or modal (dismissed automatically after position change, to preserve screen space)

Looks great... Much needed features...

> MIDI Sync Master (MIDI Clock, SPP) - other DAWs can run in accurate sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks

But really need LINK to run with apps like Blocs...

Still, a must buy...

• edited September 2017

@tja said:
    You don't realy mean that, do you?
    Just moments ago, I bought it for 9,99 Euro!

I am not happy with that!

Sorry for the bad timing. Deciding on the pricing model was a split decision and after the first reactions, we had to revise it. Better now than later.