Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPulsaret update

rcfrcf
edited September 2017 in General App Discussion

I love iPulsaret; it's my favourite app for live processing of my electric mandola. After the latest update, my many presets seem to have lost their previously saved (with the patch) locked keyboard notes. Live processing with iPulsaret requires you to lock notes on the keyboard before the contents of the effected live ring buffer can be heard. Some of my pad, vocal, brass and string like, patches use one or more locked C notes, which keeps the effected output in tune with the live input (no transposition), so the locked notes are therefore going to be easy for me to remember. Many, many more of my patches use up to a dozen locked notes, some random, some in scales with various notes of the scale transposed to different octaves, all carefully chosen to suit the more extreme sound mangling style of patches; the patch also 'remembered' the different velocities of the various locked notes. These patches are not going to be easy for me to recreate :-(

Is there any way to recover the keyboard notes, and their respective velocities, previously locked and saved within my patches?

P.S Despite having the 'Settings' / 'Include Keyboard in Presets' switched on, iPulsaret does not seem to be saving the locked keys in any new presets either?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

Previously iPulsaret did include held notes and their respective velocities within saved patches; now it doesn't? I'm not using the keyboard to play notes, only to lock notes for live input processing. Held note combinations (which are not necessarily chords) and velocities of hundreds of my patches are not easy to remember, and some of them are very carefully tweaked for live processing, so not easy to recreate by randomly pressing a few keys at chance velocities. Which keys, what velocities... so many to choose from?

Fear not, if all else fails, I've discovered a long way round. I've opened a patch in a text editor and I can see the 'locked' or held keyboard keys and their respective velocities. But I still need to be able to re-save these parameters in a new patch.... as I could before the update.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rcf said:
    I love iPulsaret; it's my favourite app for live processing of my electric mandola.

Would love to hear a recording of this.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@rcf said:
    I love iPulsaret; it's my favourite app for live processing of my electric mandola.

Something I've been procrastinating over for far too long; now if only I could recover my favourite iPulsaret patches.... ;-)

• I tried saving a new live input preset with held 'locked' keys and I then opened the newly saved preset in a text editor. The held keys and their respective velocity parameters are clearly visible, so they are still saved as part of the preset. Opening the preset in iPulsaret does not now restore the held keys as it did before... just a minor bug then, or have I missed something?

• edited September 2017
  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@rcf said:

I would too.

• edited September 2017
  • rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

@Max23 said:
    And sometimes for general weirdness. (You know the frogs in space stuff ;) )

I know just what you mean by the 'frogs in space stuff', love those sounds.

Re velocities of the locked, held notes for live input: I like to think that it behaves in a similar way to a non intelligent, fixed interval harmonizer. I lock C, F & an octave C. I think it's C4 that remains in tune with the input; the other locked notes are each playing retuned copies of the contents of the ring buffer. So I play a single note D on my electric; I then I hear D, G and an octave D. Root note is D and I have the G which is a 4th above; I want a lower velocity for the 4th and an even lower velocity for the octave D. In this usage scenario being able to balance (and save) the relative velocities of all the 'harmonized' notes is a key feature ;)

Please excuse the long-winded posts, but this stuff fascinates me...

• edited September 2017
  • rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

I'm not generally using it as a harmonizer; it's by no means perfect in that role. I just used that as a simplistic example of why I might need saved locked notes with specific velocities, as part of a patch ;)

I also use iPulsaret for the usual extreme granular mangling, but with a live input instead. Fascinates me that what I'm hearing (good or not) is the pure but weirdly mangled and effected sound of my mandola strings.

• @rcf said:

@Max23 said:
    And sometimes for general weirdness. (You know the frogs in space stuff ;) )

I know just what you mean by the 'frogs in space stuff', love those sounds.

Re velocities of the locked, held notes for live input: I like to think that it behaves in a similar way to a non intelligent, fixed interval harmonizer. I lock C, F & an octave C. I think it's C4 that remains in tune with the input; the other locked notes are each playing retuned copies of the contents of the ring buffer. So I play a single note D on my electric; I then I hear D, G and an octave D. Root note is D and I have the G which is a 4th above; I want a lower velocity for the 4th and an even lower velocity for the octave D. In this usage scenario being able to balance (and save) the relative velocities of all the 'harmonized' notes is a key feature ;)

Please excuse the long-winded posts, but this stuff fascinates me...

Sounds awesome. Would definitely watch/read a tutorial on this setup!

• edited September 2017

Never got on with ipulsaret or Stria, aside from making a few squeaks, rattles and whale farts.

• rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    Never got on with ipulsaret or Stria, aside from making a few squeaks, rattles and whale farts.

Pray tell me, what on earth is wrong with whale farts? ;)

• @rcf said:

@MonzoPro said:

Pray tell me, what on earth is wrong with wale farts? ;)

Despite what some on here might tell you, I have absolutely no use for whale farts in my music. Sheep or cow farts on the other hand...

• edited September 2017

Even a whale fart ran through granular syntheses sounds harmonic. Go ahead and fart into Borderlands, you know you want to try it now...

Fixed for @rcf

• rcfrcf
    edited September 2017

I use each and everyone of those strangely rewarding granular apps; can't get enough; but for immediacy, GrainProc will always turn a fart into a veritable symphony. I'm actually so in love with granular processing that I'm in the process of putting together a hardware mini modular based on Mutable Clouds...parallel processed granular mangling goodness awaits... ;)

• edited September 2017

Hmmm.... I just picked up a big case of baked beans.....

• Yes: this actually exists.

• Baked beans is all you need; I must have tried at least 57 varieties!!!

• Mortified that I misspelled and misquoted 'whale' farts... wtf is a wale?

• @rcf said:
    Mortified that I misspelled and misquoted 'whale' farts... wtf is a wale?

He is an American rapper. :smiley:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2017