Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is DrumPerfect Pro the one?

A while back I was looking for solid, all around, drum machine app. I looked at iSpark and iMPC Pro, and eventually ended up going with iSpark. I chose iSpark mainly because I have an Arturia Minilab controller at home, I liked the overall look of the interface better, and it seemed like iSpark had a few features I would use more than those of iMPC Pro as I was using is primarily as a drum machine rather than a beat making app.

I've had my ups and downs with iSpark and the main thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to play well with other apps. I find that when I load it up for IAA it tends to stay loaded in the background and I have to do a soft reboot to get rid of it. I use Auria Pro and this happens constantly, to the point where I don't even want use then together any longer. EDIT: I also just remembered a couple other weird things - it doesn't sync well, and Link doesn't always start on the downbeat. Gets off time a lot and it's very odd. There is not any way to choose the control scheme for each individual pad in the studio view. You just have to go with whatever was there from the pattern you previously chose and cleared out. What a weird choice – why would they do that? It's just typically twitchy as all Arturia apps are, unfortunately. They all have such awesome promise, however they always disappoint when you really dig in.

I picked up DM1 for a dollar, and it was OK. It doesn't seem to have the full feature set that I'm looking for, and is not quite as flexible as I would like to be, but it's actually quite a good, simple workhorse. I have DM2 and Ruismaker FM to use as drum synthesizers, but I need a sample based drum machine also.I also have different drummer and five drama. Both of these apps are amazing and make me feel super creative, but neither of them do exactly what I need. Funk Drummer is INCREDIBLE, but it's not as programmable. And I have Funk Box as well, but that's just really for some sketches. Not really anything I can use to fully flesh out a drum part.

So now we come to the crux of the biscuit: I need a full featured, sample based, programmable drum machine app. I think DrumPerfect Pro may be the one for me. Can it do all of the things listed below:

Import your own samples to build your own drum kits
Full MIDI in and out (making it able to trigger and be triggered by other apps)
Ability to export each individual drum pad to its own separate audio track
Multiple samples per drum pad for multi sampled, velocity sensitive drum kits
The velocity sensitive programming
Step sequencer with a minimum 32 beats per measure
Full sample editor
Import from and export to AudioShare
AUM and Audiobus 3 support
Humanize drum fills and improvise a la Funk/Soft/Rock Drummer

I'm sure I'll think of some other things. In the meantime, thoughts on the above?

(edited because I thought of some other things)

Comments

• Everything you ask for Drum Perfect Pro delivers. The caveat is the interface at first will seem a bit "Huh?" BUT hang with it! It really does get easier to use after a short learning curve. Actually it's laid out quite well but just not in the ubiquitous MPC copy tradition.

It's a bit pricey but well worth it. And actually, the OG DrumPerfect is still a great tool as well. But to me, if you're gonna do it, do it. Get the pro.

DrumSession by @DerekBuddemeyer is really cool too for a building up acoustic drum parts etc. The only thing missing is sample import but the internal sounds are nothing to sneeze at.

That is for acoustic drums, and I recommend getting both. Now for electronic drums the Patterning app is essential. Tons of kits come with it, there's downloadable cloud kits and it lends itself to making acoustic parts too.

It the like the holy triumvirate of iOS drum apps: DrumPerfect Pro, Drum Session & Patterning. Yeah all three isn't cheap, but it would take double the amount you'd spend on all 3 to buy one half decent desktop drum instrument.

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

Yes to the list above, except for maybe the following:

• I'm not sure you can specifically assign velocity ranges per sample ... at least I don't know how anyway.
    • Full sample Editor: no. But the adsr envelope, including the start and end points as well, is editable per sample.
  • I didn't realize DPP allowed for sample start and end editing. Nice.

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

More correctly, it supports editing the envelope starting and end points, which accomplishes the same thing. You can also loop and reverse samples.

It took me awhile to remember how to get to the edit function ... press the "View" button. Why it's labeled "View" when it means "Edit" I really can't fathom. ;) Then press the "Move" button to edit the curve. (also odd labeling). Oddly enough, Loop and Reverse actually do what they say they do. Go figure. B)

• If you get it I would love to hear your feedback, I got drum perfect ( not the pro version ) a while back and just couldnt get into it, I literally have never got a single song done using it, so I wasnt inspired to get the pro, lol.

• I know me - I've got the bug and I'll probably own this by week's end after hard-core obsessing and nerding out about it in the interim. It's more that I bought at least 8 major apps in the last month that I need to spend some time with to justify buying. That and $20 is nothing to sneeze at and those $20 apps add up in a hurry. I've been laid up for the last week so I'm trying to nail down my work flow and finish the album I've been sitting on for 2 years. Innumerable small glitches have stopped me in my tracks too many times. I'm so close to having this nailed down.

• Yes, it's the one! I not only already made dozens of songs with this app, but I also prefer it to track drums when doing production for others. Not the easiest acoustic drum app around, but the deepest by far.

• edited September 2017

OK, so what's the difference between DrumPerfect and DrumPerfect Pro? Obviously Pro has more stuff and is more, well... "Pro", but specifically what makes Pro the cat's meow?

• @dvlmusic Have you read this review? Lots of good info although I think DrumPerfect Pro has been updated with more features since this (sample envelope edit stuff I think) http://musicappblog.com/drumperfect-pro-review/

• edited September 2017

@dvlmusic said:
    OK, so what's the difference between DrumPerfect and DrumPerfect Pro? Obviously Pro has more stuff and is more, well... "Pro", but specifically what makes Pro the cat's meow?

What's the difference between DrumPerfect and DrumPerfect Pro?
    There are many, many differences in terms of results, workflow, UI, and creative possibilities.
    Yet at the core they are of course quite similar, kept that way so users of DP switched to Pro without having to learn everything again.

Now there is one major difference and this will ease the choice for anyone interested.
    DrumPerfect can work on new and older iPads/iOS.
    DrumPerfect Pro usually needs at least iOS 10 as well as newer, more powerful machines to get all the juice from it.

To answer your questions:

Import your own samples to build your own drum kits

Definitely! Everything is made to ease this task. Import AND export ( zip files. m4a lossless samples, Audioshare, backup, etc... )

Full MIDI in for 2x16 instruments AND midi control of most of the commands by cc.
    Midi out, yes, on AB3 only ( midi in ) on channel 10. All instruments midi note configurable.

Ability to export each individual drum pad to its own separate audio track

All stems ( individual instrument track ) can be exported in one go, as wav or m4a lossless. ( Saving lot of space in Audioshare, Auria, etc... )

A maximum of 256! samples can be loaded at a time in 1kit. 16 kits are available, and can be switched at any bar in the song. So, low to high velocity samples AND random playing to avoid any gun machine effect.

Of course.

32 patterns per song.
    Pattern:
    1 up to 32 beats.
    Each beat= 16 subdivisions.
    Total steps in one pattern: 512.

Full sample editor

No. DPP is a digital drummer. Full editing of samples can be done outside in ...Twisted wave, etc... then directly exported to DPP.
    What it can do is:
    Listen to, View each sample waveform, then:
    Select start and end points of any sample, including loops up to 20s.
    Freely modify envelope ( fades, gain, auto micro fade out to avoid clicks ), copy and paste envelopes to any/all sample(s).
    Reverse, mute, replace, play waveform selection, process ( time stretching, pitch shifting, compression, EQ, etc... ) of any/all sample(s).

Samples, stems, zips, midi files, full backup.

Yes.

Different concepts, can't be compared.
    Much deeper in terms of:
    per stroke time shift, humanize, adjustable laid back feel, smart swing ( 8ths and 16ths ), random play of selected grooves/fills, probability per stroke, linked sets, etc...
    AND material on IAP packs ( Rock, Jazz, Heavy Metal, Funk, Reggae, Latin, Brazilian, etc... is an endless source of learning how drum patterns, songs and kits can be created. It require some serious study though, but end results can be spectacular. DPP aim to be as close as possible to real master drummers playing, on iOS.

I'm sure I'll think of some other things. In the meantime, thoughts on the above?

Hope you ( and others ) find the right answers to your questions.

• it is but not in ios 11 wont open drumperfect works fine

• @dvlmusic said:

drumperfect works in ios 11 drumperfect pro doesnt

• edited September 2017

@Gilbert said:

@dvlmusic said:

What's the difference between DrumPerfect and DrumPerfect Pro?
    There are many, many differences in terms of results, workflow, UI, and creative possibilities.
    Yet at the core they are of course quite similar, kept that way so users of DP switched to Pro without having to learn everything again.

Now there is one major difference and this will ease the choice for anyone interested.
    DrumPerfect can work on older iPads/iOS. 32bits.
    DrumPerfect Pro usually needs at least iOS 10 as well as newer, more powerful machines to get all the juice from it. 64 bits.

To answer your questions:

_Import your own samples to build your own drum kits
    _
    Definitely! Everything is made to ease this task. Import AND export ( zip files. m4a lossless samples, Audioshare, backup, etc... )

Full MIDI in for 2x16 instruments AND midi control of most of the commands by cc.
    Midi out, yes, on AB3 only ( midi in ) on channel 10. All instruments midi note configurable.

_Ability to export each individual drum pad to its own separate audio track
    _
    All stems ( individual instrument track ) can be exported in one go, as wav or m4a lossless. ( Saving lot of space in Audioshare, Auria, etc... )

A maximum of 256! samples can be loaded at a time in 1kit. 16 kits are available, and can be switched at any bar in the song. So, low to high velocity samples AND random playing to avoid any gun machine effect.

Of course.

32 patterns per song.
    Pattern:
    1 up to 32 beats.
    Each beat= 16 subdivisions.
    Total steps in one pattern: 512.

Full sample editor

No. DPP is a digital drummer. Full editing of samples can be done outside in ...Twisted wave, etc... then directly exported to DPP.
    What it can do is:
    Listen to, View each sample waveform, then:
    Select start and end points of any sample, including loops up to 20s.
    Freely modify envelope ( fades, gain, auto micro fade out to avoid clicks ), copy and paste envelopes to any/all sample(s).
    Reverse, mute, replace, play waveform selection, process ( time stretching, pitch shifting, compression, EQ, etc... ) of any/all sample(s).

Samples, stems, zips, midi files, full backup.

Yes.

Different concepts, can't be compared.
    Much deeper in terms of:
    per stroke time shift, humanize, adjustable laid back feel, smart swing ( 8ths and 16ths ), random play of selected grooves/fills, probability per stroke, linked sets, etc...
    AND material on IAP packs ( Rock, Jazz, Heavy Metal, Funk, Reggae, Latin, Brazilian, etc... is an endless source of learning how drum patterns, songs and kits can be created. It require some serious study though, but end results can be spectacular. DPP aim to be as close as possible to real master drummers playing, on iOS.

Hope you ( and others ) find the right answers to your questions.

I can import samples on drumperfect too
    Full MIDI in and out too
    and Ability to export each individual drum pad to its own separate audio track

• edited September 2017

@Shazamm said:

@dvlmusic said:

drumperfect works in ios 11 drumperfect pro doesnt

Thanks for the update.
    Many apps ( including DPP ) will be updated when iOS11 is out.
    Indeed DrumPerfect doesn't display Apple reminder message on iOS 10, so ok for iOS 11.
    Details corrected.

• It is the best app to me because it has 16 audio outs wtf thats freaking amazing and no other apps other than audiobus offers this feature. I pipe it right into Auria

• edited September 2017

Awesome! Thank you everybody for your feedback, especially you Gilbert. I'm not so worried about iOS 11 as I'm not planning to move over any time soon. Have a number of apps that won't transfer so I'm married to 10.3.3 for awhile

Gilbert - your definition of the sample editing capabilities of DrumPerfect are basically what I need. Just the ability to chop beginnings and endings and squeeze and flip - standard, basic editing features

Well boys, so far so good. Let's see if I have the strength of will to hold out today. If not I will comment back later this afternoon with my newly purchased DrumPerfect Pro and we'll see how things go.

Here's one last question for you all -other than the learning curve slash interface, are there any cons to DrumPerfect (you could say DrumPerfect Con)?

• (you could say DrumPerfect Con)?

LMAO

• @Shazamm said:

I can import samples on drumperfect too

Yes, that indeed was there from the very beginning.
    Made a bit easier with DPP though ( Document picker/zips/Audioshare ).

Full MIDI in and out too

Out? Can another app be played from DrumPerfect sequencer?
    Or do you mean midi file import/export?

and Ability to export each individual drum pad to its own separate audio track

Right. To iTunes/Dropbox.
    DPP export them to Audioshare too.

Main functionality remain in both apps.

• Has anyone tried using this with samples of classic 80's drum machines? I understand that the primary function of DrumPerfect Pro is to emulate a human drummer but I'm curious to see how it would respond to samples that were never intended to be played with a human feel. I'm working on an idea where an blurring the line between two: sort of like if a human drummer were playing an electronic kit using only samples from classic 80s drum machines.

This isn't the primary use case for DrumPerfect for me, obviously, Just an idea I've been knocking around for a while. I'm curious to know if anybody else has tried it. I'm not looking for jitter, or stutter, or filter, or any modern electronic drum effects.

• "Full MIDI in and out too
    Out? Can another app be played from DrumPerfect sequencer?"

This is one of my requirements - can anyone confirm that you can use the sequencer in DPP to trigger other apps via MIDI control?

• tjatja
    edited September 2017

DrumPerfect Pro shows up as Sender in AudioBus MIDI Page!
    DrumPerfect (not Pro) does not.

• Truthfully, I'd end up getting the bundle which has both. It's an extra 99¢, I'm fairly sure that's in my budget. ;)

• @dvlmusic said:
    Has anyone tried using this with samples of classic 80's drum machines? I understand that the primary function of DrumPerfect Pro is to emulate a human drummer but I'm curious to see how it would respond to samples that were never intended to be played with a human feel. I'm working on an idea where an blurring the line between two: sort of like if a human drummer were playing an electronic kit using only samples from classic 80s drum machines.

This isn't the primary use case for DrumPerfect for me, obviously, Just an idea I've been knocking around for a while. I'm curious to know if anybody else has tried it. I'm not looking for jitter, or stutter, or filter, or any modern electronic drum effects.

Sure, works great. In fact, I think "808" and "Linn-9000" kits are included ... least wise, I have them and I don't remember doing any iAP for them.

I've also used it to output to RuisMaker using its GM mapping button, and that works too. Works the other way round as well. I had a lot of fun recording patterns from RuisMaker's sequencer into DPP, applying some randomization and other goodies from DPP, then turning it around and outputting from DPP to Ruismaker.

• Oh ... and there's no reason to limit yourself to drum samples either. Anything can be used. B)

• So yeah - I didn't make it through the afternoon. Pulled the trigger....

• edited September 2017

@dvlmusic said:
    So yeah - I didn't make it through the afternoon. Pulled the trigger....

• @wim said:
    Oh ... and there's no reason to limit yourself to drum samples either. Anything can be used. B)

Anything. Absolutely!
    Imagine ( and create )!

Sure, works great. In fact, I think "808" and "Linn-9000" kits are included ... least wise, I have them and I don't remember doing any iAP for them.

Correct. With many other kits, they come free with DP/DPP.
    Yet kits in the packs are a class apart :blush:

I've also used it to output to RuisMaker using its GM mapping button, and that works too. Works the other way round as well. I had a lot of fun recording patterns from RuisMaker's sequencer into DPP, applying some randomization and other goodies from DPP, then turning it around and outputting from DPP to Ruismaker.

That's sounds a smart use of DPP's midi. ( that I have not YET done... ) :wink:

• @Gilbert in sound module mode does DPP shut down certain process to conserve CPU?

@Gilbert said:

@wim said:
    Oh ... and there's no reason to limit yourself to drum samples either. Anything can be used. B)

Anything. Absolutely!
    Imagine ( and create )!

Correct. With many other kits, they come free with DP/DPP.
    Yet kits in the packs are a class apart :blush:

That's sounds a smart use of DPP's midi. ( that I have not YET done... ) :wink:

• edited September 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    @Gilbert in sound module mode does DPP shut down certain process to conserve CPU?

I will take this one ;-)

No. If no internal pattern is playing, most of the cpu load is caused by the convolution reverb of the kit.