Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TheAudioDabbler | Getting Midi from DM1 to BM3

Comments

• Very interesting to, thanks!

• This is so cool, thank you. The focus action business is really slick. I almost never use DM1, however. I frequently have a great pattern in ElasticDrums or Patterning, though. Same principle? Elastic drums doesn't really seem to have a midi menu, though it does have midi learn.

I have kind of been avoiding BM3 except for aimlessly chopping samples and making anemic four bar loops. Your videos make me think I should dive in. Thanks.

• Thanks Mitch! That was useful.

• edited September 2017

I always enjoy your videos but I'd personally like to see a more balanced blend of creative process/musicality and technicality/setup. Might not be what you're wanting to do and if so no worries, but in general there doesn't seem to be that much focus on music in the many videos about music that are popping up around BM3 at the moment (and I've watched em all!). Maybe creativity just doesn't get views!!

Either way, thanks for putting up content!

• @ExAsperis99 Its a great app, even with its frustrations. People still used BM2, even with all of its frustrations. I have frustrations with Logic Pro X everytime I open it up. Its worth diving into.

@skiphunt You are very welcome. Glad it was helpful.

@OscarSouth I agree and have thought about some lets compose, make a track, see how far I can get in 10 minutes using BM3 and if I do something crazy in my setup, I can always do a spill at the end on how I did it or in a seperate video.

I agree as a whole, there needs to be more musicality, performance type videos for iOS. I think creativity gets views and has potential to get more views than a technical tutorial. For me, its a lot easier to be technical than creative sometimes.

• edited September 2017

@gmslayton yea those are some good ideas, although I will also add while I'm giving constructive critique that I'm tiring (in general) of the overly improvisatory 'let the cameras roll' attitude that is permeating almost all iOS related content these days. I feel that it is better reserved for live streams and a bit of prep goes a long way in creating an interesting narrative and inspirational tone. I've enjoyed in the past how Jacob will put out a creative video on his channel first and later post a technical breakdown. His preparation really allows his content and underlying message to shine though.

That said, most of my comments here are not aimed at you but are speaking more generally. If you feel too have a really good idea for the content you were just mentioning then I love to be proven wrong and I'm excited to see it!

• @gmslayton said:

@OscarSouth I agree and have thought about some lets compose, make a track, see how far I can get in 10 minutes using BM3 and if I do something crazy in my setup, I can always do a spill at the end on how I did it or in a seperate video.

I agree as a whole, there needs to be more musicality, performance type videos for iOS. I think creativity gets views and has potential to get more views than a technical tutorial. For me, its a lot easier to be technical than creative sometimes.

Agree here as well. Although I like seeing the nitty-gritty of how the interface works, showing that while you're making something helps connect concepts with proceedure in the learning process. Sort of a hybrid would be nice, ie. brief description of what the tool does, then actually using it. Jakob's videos seem to be moving more in this direction lately and I find it more effective than just watching someone use an app's presets, or the opposite of focussing completely on the interface details alone.

That could just be my own preference though.

In any case, you do you and as Joe Dirt says, "Keep on Keepin' On" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=Akec_5zCgso

• @OscarSouth I mostly film my videos with a let the camera roll trim out the ends, sync up audio, add my intro and I am done. I really enjoy Jakobs well thought out and put together videos. I am not on that level of videography yet and may never be.

@skiphunt I try to always just do me and keep on keepin' on. Although I would like to grow into a better, more professional me.

• @gmslayton said:

@skiphunt I try to always just do me and keep on keepin' on. Although I would like to grow into a better, more professional me.

You are progressing definitely! And, you've only been doing this a short while too. :)

• I think you're playing to your strengths pretty well already. Your niche seems to be more about rooting out the clever hidden features and workarounds, and they don't all immediately lend themselves to musicality, so I wouldn't force it. There are plenty of vids on yt about the more musical, workflow aspects.

I would only suggest that you write out a checklist of points to cover and refer to it as you go so you don't go chasing squirrels too much. I find myself clicking forward once or twice per vid.

Great job, though. Saves me a lot of time. Thanks.

• good vids. appreciation