Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iTunes 12.7

WTF?! https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208075

Changes in the new iTunes

Learn about changes to Apps, iTunes U, Internet Radio, and more.

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are now exclusively available in the new App Store for iOS. And the new App Store makes it easy to get, update, and redownload apps—all without a Mac or PC.

I'm so angry now. Why would you remove that functionality?

Comments

• edited September 2017

You can still access files from iOS apps via iTunes, what else do you need it for on MacOS?

FWIW, I never understood why Apple never used their own App Store app on OSX for iOS apps too That would make a lot more sense.

• @Tarekith said:
    You can still access files from iOS apps via iTunes, what else do you need it for on MacOS?

To keep an incremental backup of all the apps I own. If you update an app and find out it's a crash fest, you can quickly revert back to a previous version if you have its .ipa file. Not possible without iTunes :(

• @yug said:
    To keep an incremental backup of all the apps I own. If you update an app and find out it's a crash fest, you can quickly revert back to a previous version if you have its .ipa file. Not possible without iTunes :(

Still looking into this, but I think that iMazing 2 will handle .ipa files. Not available via OSX App Store, you have to get it from their own site.

• @Zen210507 said:

@yug said:

Still looking into this, but I think that iMazing 2 will handle .ipa files. Not available via OSX App Store, you have to get it from their own site.

it wont. since ios devices do not download the entire app. just the sized down version for the specific device you are using. aka iphone or ipad version not both when it comes to a universal app. only the desktop itunes would download the full .ipa.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    only the desktop itunes would download the full .ipa.

>

Yes, it is the desktop Mac version I'm looking at. :)

• Most interesting part for me will be to see if iTunes 12.7 can back up my iPad Air 2 :D
    (It's currently failing even when using 3 different computers with the 'old' iTunes version).

• I use iMazing. It's a nice piece of software but it does not handle ipa files

• So also you can't now buy apps on a computer or download them? Surely they can't have removed the download function....Hoping that ifunbox will keep functioning at least.

• @yug said:
    I use iMazing. It's a nice piece of software but it does not handle ipa files

i know. which is why this removal is pissing me off.

• I'm not gonna upgrade to 12.7 but I'm afraid the new version of MacOS will include it by default :(

• @yug said:

>

Oh dear, that is a shame. Can you confirm that iMazing 2 at least does iPad backups and restore, reliably?

• iTunes 12.7 does not fix my backup issues with the Air 2. Guess I'll have to wait for iOS11 then...
    At least file-sharing works but I do miss making backups of the apps I download.

The sad thing here is that this is THE END for ripping out stuff from downloaded *.ipa archives :(

• I've also not been able to successfully backup an iPad through iTunes in years, as the process always fails. (And like Samu, on multiple machines). I'm hoping iCloud is doing a serviceable job backing up the data, but this doesn't provide the ipa access we once knew and loved...

• @Samu said:
    iTunes 12.7 does not fix my backup issues with the Air 2. Guess I'll have to wait for iOS11 then...
    At least file-sharing works but I do miss making backups of the apps I download.

The sad thing here is that this is THE END for ripping out stuff from downloaded *.ipa archives :(

Is there no option for automatically downloading app purchases? surely Apple will have a workaround somewhere, especially when they realise it will devalue apps value even more and potentially lose future sales.

This will not convince people to spend more on pro apps, but less.

• @Zen210507 said:

@yug said:

>

Oh dear, that is a shame. Can you confirm that iMazing 2 at least does iPad backups and restore, reliably?

I haven't upgraded to ver 2 yet cause I don't see any reasons to - ver 1 already has everything I need. I can confirm that iMazing 1 works really well, I never had problems with saving/restoring backups, moving files, etc.

When doing backups of your apps, it does the same thing as iTunes - it saves app data, not full apps. So, when you restore an app, it will restore its data/documents and the app itself will be downloaded from the App Store

• @yug said:

I can confirm that iMazing 1 works really well, I never had problems with saving/restoring backups, moving files, etc.

Okay, thanks for that, Yug. I think I'm going to invest in iMazing 2, 'cause I've had it with iTunes.

• @Carnbot said:

@Samu said:
    iTunes 12.7 does not fix my backup issues with the Air 2. Guess I'll have to wait for iOS11 then...

Is there no option for automatically downloading app purchases? surely Apple will have a workaround somewhere, especially when they realise it will devalue apps value even more and potentially lose future sales.

iTunes 12.7 no longer handles downloading or syncing of iOS apps :(

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

Perhaps a separate desktop app for managing iOS devices is being developed. iTunes was just trying to be too many things. Or possibly the plan is to allow for iOS devices to mount external drives in the future.

• I did find this... might be a bandaid for some:

• @realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

Perhaps a separate desktop app for managing iOS devices is being developed. iTunes was just trying to be too many things. Or possibly the plan is to allow for iOS devices to mount external drives in the future.

Apparently one can connect to a Mac OS Server using the new Files.app in iOS11.
    Time will tell where all this goes, but for now it's a no-go.

• edited September 2017

@Samu said:

@realdavidai said:

@Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

Apparently one can connect to a Mac OS Server using the new Files.app in iOS11.
    Time will tell where all this goes, but for now it's a no-go.

Definitely check out the new Content Caching & Internet Sharing that come with High Sierra. The USB internet sharing is terrific, I get a 70mb connection (my home max speed) over it. Apple published some guidance on it: https://support.apple.com/en-ae/HT208025

Yes, you can connect to macOS Server - but most of its relevant functionality (outside of enterprise etc) is now baked into HighSierra.

• Does installing the new iTunes take off all the old app file backups from your computer ? Or do you have to do a manual clean up afterwards as I don't want a load of old app files taking up space on my laptop after install from the previous version.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Does installing the new iTunes take off all the old app file backups from your computer ? Or do you have to do a manual clean up afterwards as I don't want a load of old app files taking up space on my laptop after install from the previous version.

The app files are still there on the hard-drive...

• @Aud_iOS said:
    I did find this... might be a bandaid for some:

This helped me. I was able to drag an .ipa file from my computer (Windows Explorer) and drop it onto my iPhone in iTunes, and it did sync the custom app.

• I've been busy downloading all the iOS apps on iTunes on my Mac and copying it to my hard drive just to be safe before iTunes 12.7 makes it impossible.

• @yug said:

The new iTunes focuses on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are now exclusively available in the new App Store for iOS. And the new App Store makes it easy to get, update, and redownload apps—all without a Mac or PC.

The same reason the new phone is the same as a car down payment.

Because Apple as a company is whack as fuck!

• @Samu said:

Is it though..................... ;)

• I do wonder if it's the / in the Mono/Poly app bundles name that is messing up things for me regarding the backups Why on earth would Korg use / in the filename for an app?!?!?!?!?!

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Because Apple as a company is whack as fuck!

>

I do enjoy your turns of phrase. :)

• @RUST( i )K said:

@yug said:

The same reason the new phone is the same as a car down payment.

Without a full tank of fuel, the new phone costs around three times the total value of my car.