Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iTunes, pile of shite

Comments

• Sideways progress.

Okay, I've found out what the download issue was; an update to Vivaldi browser, means it will not download from some, perfectly legit, sites. So, tried again with Safari, and got latest iTunes installed....which STILL produced the all too familiar 'iPad disconnected' line.

Then got iFunbox, and after bypassing security, installed that and ran it. Clicking on 'copy to Mac' appears to do nothing. Perhaps it is not compatible with Sierra?

At the moment iMazing 2 is looking like the last best shot.

• @Zen210507 said:
    Then got iFunbox, and after bypassing security, installed that and ran it. Clicking on 'copy to Mac' appears to do nothing. Perhaps it is not compatible with Sierra?

This command works on a chosen file within the iFunBox window and will copy that file to the Mac.

• @sch said:
    This command works on a chosen file within the iFunBox window and will copy that file to the Mac.

Ah, I was trying to copy the entire iPad. Will have another bash on the morrow. Thanks.

• The Files update looks pretty good with the drag and drop, I like the new dock too - bit more like OSX.

• I use Linux on the desktop so I don't have the ability to use iTunes. iOS devices can back up through wifi, I have the ability to transfer everything I need within my iOS device, and most recently, have solutions for playing my music libraries straight from my device (not just through the cloud). For me, this basically means that I can happily thumb my nose at the iTunes software. I don't use it, and don't need it. :smile:

• https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/12/apple-itunes-12-7-no-app-store/

Now there will be no more are supported apps for the computer?

• @Santosgera said:
    Now there will be no more are supported apps for the computer?

>

The 'innovation' model of less is more continues.

• How is this bad? Less bloat in iTunes sounds good to me.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    How is this bad? Less bloat in iTunes sounds good to me.

>

Less bloat is good, of course. But the other shortcomings of iTunes have not been addressed.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

How the eff are you supposed to backup .ipa files for apps removed from the App Store now ?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    How the eff are you supposed to backup .ipa files for apps removed from the App Store now ?

>

Magic.

'Cause none of the possible solutions I've seen so far can do anything about apps Apple has removed.

• @Zen210507 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

>

Magic.

'Cause none of the possible solutions I've seen so far can do anything about apps Apple has removed.

the reason i download exclusively on my desktop itunes was precisely for this reason. i've reinstalled tons of apps i have backed up the .ipa files even on newer idevices. removing the appstore from the desktop itunes kills this ability completely. for now i've backed up a copy of my 12.6.2 installer for future use. atleast just for downloading .ipa files.....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    for now i've backed up a copy of my 12.6.2 installer for future use. atleast just for downloading .ipa files.....

>

I'm glad that you got enough warning to safeguard your backup method.

• @Zen210507 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    for now i've backed up a copy of my 12.6.2 installer for future use. atleast just for downloading .ipa files.....

>

I'm glad that you got enough warning to safeguard your backup method.

For windows there are websites that have the older installers all the way back iTunes 10. I'm just making a backup in case all those website vanish.

• iTunes 12.7 marks THE END of downloading local copies of *.ipa files and ripping out samples and other content...
    It's a very sad day indeed.

And iTunes 12.7 does NOT fix the backup issues I'm having with my Air 2...

Remains to be seen if iOS11 helps here. I mean I can't even get the iCloud backups to work (they fail too, arghhhh!).

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

Yeah, I proved this to myself yesterday, totally failing to get past the 'iPad has disconnected' rubbish.

I just don't get why they can't be bothered to make something as important as backup work, and why they think removing the means to grab and store what we own is going to be well received.

Someone, somewhere is sitting in an Air-conditioned office, leaning back in his soft leather chair behind a huge desk, making crap decisions.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Samu said:

Yeah, I proved this to myself yesterday, totally failing to get past the 'iPad has disconnected' rubbish.

I just don't get why they can't be bothered to make something as important as backup work, and why they think removing the means to grab and store what we own is going to be well received.

Someone, somewhere is sitting in an Air-conditioned office, leaning back in his soft leather chair behind a huge desk, making crap decisions.

Cosidering iTunes no longer manages iOS apps I presume Apple tries to push everyone to use iCloud backups bit the irony is that it doesn't work either...

I will install iOS11 anyway :)

• edited September 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Fair enough. Literally something I have never done. And alas, since the majority of users probably don't either, apple has calculated that they can get rid of it.

Are you old enough to remember when Apple got rid of the floppy disk drive? That was shocking and at the moment almost beyond belief, but it worked out OK. Presumably there are still big thinkers in Cupertino, who are trying to imagine some wondrous, frictionless, digital future. Maybe there is already an elegant solution for this problem.

But when they promote thousand-dollar telephones and laughing-shit avatars, though, you are right to wonder about their intentions.

• edited September 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Fair enough. Literally something I have never done. And alas, since the majority of users probably don't either, apple has calculated that they can get rid of it.

Are you old enough to remember when Apple got rid of the floppy disk drive? That was shocking and at the moment almost beyond belief, but it worked out OK. Presumably there are still big thinkers in Cupertino, who are trying to imagine some wondrous, frictionless, digital future. Maybe there is already an elegant solution for this problem.

But when they promote thousand-dollar telephones and laughing-shit avatars, though, you are right to wonder about their intentions.

When Apple got rid of the floppy we bought USB external floppy drives. Within less than 6 months they were obsolete because most distribution moved over to some form of optical disk. Now I have an external DVD drive for my Mac Pro and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use it in the past year. Technology changes constantly. Not just Apple but across the board.

As far as the $1000 iPhone - there is a huge market for it. It's just not me or (I'm sure) many others on this board. I was looking up real estate in the area of where I live and there were way more houses in the $1 million+ vicinity than I would ever have expected. Thats where the market for a $1k phone lives.

• Getting rid of stuff is fine if it's no longer needed, or there's an existing replacement.

Removing floppy disk drives when companies were still supplying software and drivers on floppies, or print and design businesses for example who received artwork on floppies, meant a lot of us had to buy external drives to be able to carry on working.

Though I guess that was the point.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Getting rid of stuff is fine if it's no longer needed, or there's an existing replacement.

Removing floppy disk drives when companies were still supplying software and drivers on floppies, or print and design businesses for example who received artwork on floppies, meant a lot of us had to buy external drives to be able to carry on working.

Though I guess that was the point.

Ultimately, yes, definitely.

• So with this new iTunes you can't buy the new Korg Mono/Poly in advance, with that lower introduction price, knowing that you will upgrade to a 64-bit iPad when you still have a 32-bit iPad?

• edited September 2017

@bert said:
    So with this new iTunes you can't buy the new Korg Mono/Poly in advance, with that lower introduction price, knowing that you will upgrade to a 64-bit iPad when you still have a 32-bit iPad?

Yep. No more buying apps in advance if your current device cannot handle it. A massive middle finger to consumers I didn't even realise had happened till you pointed it out.
    Have an iPhone but want to buy an app for your future iPad ? No app for you! Stuck on 32bit device but want to buy new apps for future ? Get lost!

This coupled with the random price rise for the new idevices has basically turned me off apple. I might just stop using iOS and go back to ableton full-time :/ although I will miss this forum if I do so.....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:
    So with this new iTunes you can't buy the new Korg Mono/Poly in advance, with that lower introduction price, knowing that you will upgrade to a 64-bit iPad when you still have a 32-bit iPad?

Yep. No more buying apps in advance if your current device cannot handle it. A massive middle finger to consumers I didn't even realise had happened till you pointed it out.
    Have an iPhone but want to buy an app for your future iPad ? No app for you! Stuck on 32bit device but want to buy new apps for future ? Get lost!

For me the biggest 'middle finger' is that I will no longer be able to dig inside *.ipa packages and hunt for samples since I can not longer download the app using iTunes...

And what bugs me the most is that I can currently NOT backup my iPad Air 2 using iTunes 12.7 nor to 'iCloud'(Both methods fail). So installing IOS11 OTA will be 'living on the edge' but thankfully I've already copied over all the stuff I've created using my apps... (And after iOS11 install I'll try to do a backup again).

• @ExAsperis99 said:

>

So we're on the same page at last. ;)

• @Samu said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:

For me the biggest 'middle finger' is that I will no longer be able to dig inside *.ipa packages and hunt for samples since I can not longer download the app using iTunes...

And what bugs me the most is that I can currently NOT backup my iPad Air 2 using iTunes 12.7 nor to 'iCloud'(Both methods fail). So installing IOS11 OTA will be 'living on the edge' but thankfully I've already copied over all the stuff I've created using my apps... (And after iOS11 install I'll try to do a backup again).

I think you should still be able to put *.ipa files from your Macbook to your iPad bij Xcode. May not be what Apple intends but will should be possible I think.

• edited September 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:

This coupled with the random price rise for the new idevices has basically turned me off apple. I might just stop using iOS and go back to ableton full-time :/ although I will miss this forum if I do so.....

I've already moved back to Maschine on my desktop PC, and rediscovered what a brilliant thing it is.

The doubling of app prices, software bugs, the hardware I was going to buy going up by £500 (might be even more now with yesterday's latest increase) have all made me lose faith in Apple.

I'll still use the iPad and muck about on the forum - I might even get a couple of iOS synths over Xmas, but the days when I bought two or three apps per week are long gone, and a future new iPad Pro and iMac are well and truly off the cards.

• edited September 2017

@bert said:

@Samu said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:

I think you should still be able to put *.ipa files from your Macbook to your iPad bij Xcode. May not be what Apple intends but will should be possible I think.

The problem isn't moving from MacBook=>iPad. The problem is how to download the .Ipa on the MacBook/PC ? They ripped out the appstore completely in 12.7.
    Sure. You can stay on 12.6 since it still let's you download ipa's. But eventually they will stop it from accessing the appstore.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:

@Samu said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@bert said:

The problem isn't moving from MacBook=>iPad. The problem is how to download the .Ipa on the MacBook/PC ? They ripped out the appstore completely in 12.7.
    Sure. You can stay on 12.6 since it still let's you download ipa's. But eventually they will stop it from accessing the appstore.

That's something I'm not sure of. You want *.ipa files downloaded from the iOS version of iTunes exported to your Mac or PC, correct?

• edited September 2017

I agree iTunes is a pile of shite and it's even more a pile of shite now that they have phased out the App Store on iTunes because it was very handy backing up apps (that I have spent good money buying) on my MacBook Pro. :(