Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iTunes, pile of shite

So, to add to the woes of an iPad Pro 10.5 with intermittent fault, I now find iTunes - latest not greatest - has sunk to new depths. All I wanted to do, well not wanted, but have no choice in the matter thanks to Apple, was take a fresh backup.

Firing up the Mac Mini, I connected the iPad, and started a backup...which ended with the bastard thing telling me the iPad had disconnected. Having seen this before, I deleted previous backups, rebooted the Mac and the iPad, then tried again....with the same result. :s

Switching to my PC, I tried again, this time being informed that the iPad had never been backed up to that machine. So, no pesky old files to get in the way. Except, I got the same disconnection bullshit.

Is there any way out of this, short of giving up entirely? I mean, why can't the billion dollar boys at Cupertino take time off from fleecing milenials to make something that actually works for backing up an iPad.

LOTS of other peeps on-line also having same problem, so no it isn't just me. ITunes must be the biggest turd in computing history. If Apple can't be bothered, then they should allow a third party developer to do the job. But no, they won't.

Comments

• It's really unfair to shite to make this comparison.

• Dude, you are an unrelenting string of negativity. Every single post.
    Here's an idea: Fuck Apple. Don't use their products.

• I use iTunes on my Mac and it always gives me an error message when my device has not finished re-booting but iTunes is looking for it. Maybe you just need to let it catch up to itself?

• I love Apple products. I've been an Apple fangurl my entire life. But the whole iTunes thing is like this enormous flashing user-sadistic FAILURE ON ALL LEVELS right in the middle of what is otherwise the most intuitive, user-satisfying platform in history. And it has only gotten worse and worse year after year, and there doesn't seem to be any hope of fixing it or making it go away. The North Korea of software.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I love Apple products. I've been an Apple fangurl my entire life. But the whole iTunes thing is like this enormous flashing user-sadistic FAILURE ON ALL LEVELS right in the middle of what is otherwise the most intuitive, user-satisfying platform in history. And it has only gotten worse and worse year after year, and there doesn't seem to be any hope of fixing it or making it go away. The North Korea of software.

Here's hoping Donald nukes it then, the North Korea of software that is. ;)

• No disagreement from me.

• Can't stand the bloody thing, or the stupid iphoto nonsense.

• edited September 2017

I have been baffled by the whole concept of iTunes (which is basically a media librarian) as the sole gateway to and from IOS devices,since my first day as an iPad user. It's probably a reminecence from the days of the iPods, where even the name makes sense. But nowadays, it's not only silly, it's an insult to IOS users.

Dear Apple, isn't it about time to make a new gateway reflecting todays devices and needs? Or if that's too much for you, get some outside help!

• @knewspeak said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I love Apple products. I've been an Apple fangurl my entire life. But the whole iTunes thing is like this enormous flashing user-sadistic FAILURE ON ALL LEVELS right in the middle of what is otherwise the most intuitive, user-satisfying platform in history. And it has only gotten worse and worse year after year, and there doesn't seem to be any hope of fixing it or making it go away. The North Korea of software.

Too soon.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Can't stand the bloody thing, or the stupid iphoto nonsense.

Ah yes, iPhoto, what an astonishingly embarrassing POS software to have for a company whose platform is so aimed at graphics/photo professionals! The deplorable lack of proper and reasonable interfacing between OS X and iOS is a constant source of consternation.

• Burn iTunes burn...

• edited September 2017

@anickt gives sound advice. Plug it in (connected to the internet) and leave it alone for a few hours. It might just sort itself out if you let it.

What I hate is the authorisation nonsense, scary when it won't let you login...

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    It's really unfair to shite to make this comparison.

Itunes is the worst. I checked an Ipad out of the library at the start of summer and bought an ebook. That Ipad crapped out and so I took it back and exchanged it for a working one. Itunes won't let me read my book until 45 days later just because I changed machines. Kind of a disincentive to buy a new Ipad, if you can't even get your own stuff for a month-and-a-half.

In all fairness to Itunes, I could be doing something wrong. It must be me, right? Because no man-made system could be so irrational.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Dude, you are an unrelenting string of negativity. Every single post.

I agree in part, and disagree in part. If he is having trouble with Apple, he is doing a service to other consumers by documenting and sharing his issues for the rest of us. But I do agree with the "Fuck Apple" part.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I agree in part, and disagree in part. If he is having trouble with Apple, he is doing a service to other consumers by documenting and sharing his issues for the rest of us. But I do agree with the "Fuck Apple" part.

haha

• edited September 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

>

Actually, nine out of ten posts of mine are nothing to do with Apple and are very positive, if you don't like me expressing an opinion when something goes wrong, that is p too bad. It's not your call. Just don't waste your own time responding.

THANK YOU to all who have been supportive and understanding. Just for the record I LOVE IOS music making, music app developers, and all the peeps here showing such creativity. It's stuff that gets in the way of that which gets my goat. I'm not saying 'fuck Apple' I'm saying fuck the attitude that gives us an awful thing like iTunes.

• edited September 2017

Hopefully the next iTunes update together with macOS High Sierra will fix the backup problems.

I've got them as well after all these years. My iPhone 5 backs up nicely but the iPad Air 2 refuses on 3 different computers all complain that the iPad disconnected, system logs indicate iTunes Backup Error: -10...

But on the positive side BeBot was just updated :)

• @knewspeak said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

Donny should get into his underground bunker and nuke himself.

• @Samu said:
    Hopefully the next iTunes update together with macOS High Sierra will fix the backup problems.

I've got them as well after all these years. My iPhone 5 backs up nicely but the iPad Air 2 refuses on 3 different computers all complain that the iPad disconnected, system logs indicate iTunes Backup Error: -10...

But on the positive side BeBot was just updated :)

I've backed up my air 2 10.3.1 yesterday without any problems. Maybe it has something to do with the latest version of iOS rather than iTunes?

• edited September 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

>

Actually, nine out of ten posts of mine are nothing to do with Apple and are very positive, if you don't like me expressing an opinion when something goes wrong, that is p too bad. It's not your call. Just don't waste your own time responding.

THANK YOU to all who have been supportive and understanding. Just for the record I LOVE IOS music making, music app developers, and all the peeps here showing such creativity. It's stuff that gets in the way of that which gets my goat. I'm not saying 'fuck Apple' I'm saying fuck the attitude that gives us an awful thing like iTunes.

I generally don't respond to your threads, although it's hard to avoid profanity in the subject line of threads, really. (Kind of juvenile.) As for negativity, I'm referring to your "Rotten Apple" tirade, in which nine out of ten posts are yours, in fact. The other ten percent are from people offering to help sort out your problem, which for some reason you refuse.

And for the record, "iTunes is garbage" is a well established fact around here.

• @supadom said:

I've backed up my air 2 10.3.1 yesterday without any problems. Maybe it has something to do with the latest version of iOS rather than iTunes?

I've not had any problems backing up my Air 2 with iOS10.3.3 until I installed some new apps (VC-1 and SyndtSphere) a few days ago. Unfortunately it doesn't help to remove those apps to get the backup rolling as the backup I had already got corrupted and a new fresh backup is not possible at the moment.
    My iPhone 5 is also running iOS10.3.3 and backs up perfectly...

I'll take a risk and update the Air 2 to iOS11 when it hits and back it up after that, if things get really messed up I'll start fresh with iOS11 on the Air 2. (I've already manually backed up all the stuff I've made).

The -10 error is related to iTunes (Incompatible app data) which puzzles me since Apple obviously has pushed out apps that are 'ready' for iOS11 on devices not running iOS11?!?!

Oh well, iOS11 will be here soon with a new version of iTunes that will 'fix' this issue...

• wimwim
    edited September 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

Ahh. U should give that one a pass. iTunes is fair game for anyone. In these divided times, iTunes hate is the only thing that binds us together as humans.

• OT, but I've had three successful backup/restore experiences with iCloud so far. The latest on Friday where I transferred seamlessly to a new phone. Granted, I do pay $0.99 per month for the storage. But no iTunes is worth it.

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Ahh. U should give that one a pass. iTunes is fair game for anyone. In these divided times, iTunes hate is the only thing that we all share in common and binds the human race together.

Fair enough. You remind me of Gandhi: You must be the change you wish to see in the world. And fuck iTunes, amirite?

• @wim said:
    OT, but I've had three successful backup/restore experiences with iCloud so far. The latest on Friday where I transferred seamlessly to a new phone. Granted, I do pay $0.99 per month for the storage. But no iTunes is worth it.

That could be one way to go but even the iCloud backup 'fails' for me so in this case the only thing I can do is wait for iOS11 and/or a new iTunes version to back things up...

• Yes iTunes sucks on all levels known to modern science. it's baffling how the world's richest company can get it so wrong.

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Ahh. U should give that one a pass. iTunes is fair game for anyone. In these divided times, iTunes hate is the only thing that binds us together as humans.

>

Thanks, Wim. That gave me a much needed smile. :)

• @Samu said:
    Oh well, iOS11 will be here soon with a new version of iTunes that will 'fix' this issue...

Hope so, Samu.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The other ten percent are from people offering to help sort out your problem, which for some reason you refuse.

A very good reason.

Have a nice evening,

• @Zen210507 said:

@Samu said:

Hope so, Samu.

Me too, this is the first time ever iOS backups have failed for me.
    I can do 'factory restore' on the iPad but since I have no backup to restore to I will not do that at this time.
    (I can NOT complete a 'factory restore' using iTunes since it fails to back up the device).

Even the Apple Chat Rep's told me to wait for next iTunes version and iOS11 since it's a 'semi-known' issue...