Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

UPDATED: "Secret Krush" APP: STEREOSUN

http://www.stereosun.com

This app is really pretty cool. I have had it since it got LINK. It is a DJ'ish" app.

It crosses into other types.

I love it for looping quick short phrases and the tactile controlled Fx system.

The app has it purposes, but what it does or what you get it to do it is pretty bad ass and fun.

Also, just got Audio engine update.

Comments

• edited August 2017

Yes, I use it to check out loops from Loopmaster and similar (loops I've not done myself and want to see if usable or not). Very quick way to test FX and other stuff. Surprisingly good.

• did they add panning yet?

• That does look fun. I noticed the price dropped from $8.99 to $4.99. So, is it on sale or did the price just get lowered?

• @RustiK said:

This app is really pretty cool. I have had it since it got LINK. It is a DJ'ish" app.

The app has it purposes, but what it does or what you get it to do it is pretty bad ass and fun.

Bastard. My family is five dollars poorer tonight than we were meant to be. Might not be milk on the table for the child's breakfast.

Thanks though :)

• edited August 2017

I've been really having fun with the SeekBeats dude's excellent DJDJ Mixing App by Rodrigo Yanez https://appsto.re/us/aGilbb.i

Can get 4 loops going at once, mix between them, add fx, etc. How does Stereosun compare?

Just had a play with the free version. Like it. Only has iTunes file sharing but the "pro" paid version supports Dropbox & AudioShare, as well as Audiobus. No mention of IAA though. Does the paid version show up in AUM?

Edit: never mind. Just bought it. Looks like they've dropped the price in the past for just 24hrs and it was dropped 20hrs ago. From the free version alone, looks to be easily $5 worth of fun. Thx for the tip :)

FYI: to answer my own question in case anyone else is curious, yes... it does show up in AUM. :) Had a very quick play. Diggin' it

• @skiphunt
    I have DJDJ, but I lack the guts to dive in to test. Looks very busy :#

• @skiphunt said:
    I've been really having fun with the SeekBeats dude's excellent DJDJ Mixing App by Rodrigo Yanez https://appsto.re/us/aGilbb.i

Can get 4 loops going at once, mix between them, add fx, etc. How does Stereosun compare?

Just had a play with the free version. Like it. Only has iTunes file sharing but the "pro" paid version supports Dropbox & AudioShare, as well as Audiobus. No mention of IAA though. Does the paid version show up in AUM?

Edit: never mind. Just bought it. Looks like they've dropped the price in the past for just 24hrs and it was dropped 20hrs ago. From the free version alone, looks to be easily $5 worth of fun. Thx for the tip :)

FYI: to answer my own question in case anyone else is curious, yes... it does show up in AUM. :) Had a very quick play. Diggin' it

@idexis said:
    @skiphunt

DJDJ is the vocal remix master app!

• @idexis said:
    Yes, I use it to check out loops from Loopmaster and similar (loops I've not done myself and want to see if usable or not). Very quick way to test FX and other stuff. Surprisingly good.

@kobamoto said:
    did they add panning yet?

@skiphunt said:
    That does look fun. I noticed the price dropped from $8.99 to $4.99. So, is it on sale or did the price just get lowered?

Don't know.

Agree idexis.

I am all about touching my screen and / or visual aspects in my apps, for performance sake anyway.

This app checks the boxes big time.

I love X Y pad action so this is cool as hell.

I think this is an app most people will find their own unique way with.

I would be interested to see all of your and other ways people use it.

• It looks fun and like a simplified version of Rotor, how does it compare to that?

• @RustiK
    Yes one gets this fingerspitzengefühl when using the touch screen.
    I don't have developed process for this. I'm rather trying to counter deficit I think I have. I'm not the quickest when it comes to find the "correct" or good sound and it's therefore handy to be able to mock the sound file around and add some spice to it.
    There are other apps of course that I use also for this, but I find one of the advantage of iOS that I can experiment with various apps and don't get guilty feeling of not using something just because it was almost an investment like sometimes with VSTs on the desktop.

• @RustiK said:

@skiphunt said:

@idexis said:
    @skiphunt

DJDJ is the vocal remix master app!

Thanks for this.
    Actually I love to "crack" apps, even if I don't use them much after that. It's like solving a crossword puzzle or some other relaxing endeavor. But now we have an avalanche of exciting apps that need some work to master, Syntscaper, Mood, BM3, Ininite and to a degree Kaspar (easy though).
    So it's on the balcony with refreshments "solving" synths. It could be worse, if you ask me B)

• I like this quote from their website
    "Rules are not forever. They are there, because of someone else's point of view."

• edited August 2017

I'm not a DJ, so I can't evaluate from that perspective. Nor do I aspire to do anything "live". And, you could get similar control with other apps. Essentially you could play several loops in AUM even, with effects, and use sliders to mix, etc. DJDJ has more you can do with the sound, but the effects controls are a bit small and I find it finicky to nail the exact loop section you want. But I've been playing with it more as a fun environment to mix 4 loops at once, mix between them with effects, and output the resulting more complex loop.

I haven't had Stereosun long enough to really give an educated opinion on it, but if you do as I did... just download their free version of Stereosun and have a play with their built-in loops. It's very easy to figure out quickly. If playing with the free version appeals to you at all, you'll likely want to grab the paid version while the price is reduced. It's worth $5 for my use for sure. And, it looks like they've have a few sales over the last couple of years. They drop the price to $4-$5 for about a day... then back up to $9-$10. I think they originally were asking $14.

It's somewhat similar to Rotor, but mostly just with respect to the sphere node-based interface. I like that you can move samples around and have the fx and volume effected spatially by where you place the sphere or "Sun".

Bought it last night before needing to hit the sack. Kind of half-way expected to have remorse this morning since I didn't think about it as long as I usually do before making yet another app purchase. Kinda Johnny G-style ;) lol

However, I just had another play with it and glad I picked it up. Its going to be a fun addition to the collection. :)

• @RustiK said:

Make sure you gradually let her know how you feel. Hope it works out :)

• edited August 2017

I've figured out most of the app, but there's an icon that looks like it turns on/off something.. it's on the left side of loop edit screen and looks like a donut with a cross in it. What is that for?

I've watched all their videos and checked out their forum. Anyone with that app who knows what the aforementioned icon does?

• edited August 2017

Glad to hear you are having some fun with the app. I personally use it for gigs a lot (traktor + ableton link stereosun for loops).

@kobamoto padding is available in the detail the track (where the eq, volume and key control is - bottom right).

We dropped the price for now because we didn't have time to do any bigger updates (except the engine). I hope we will update more in the near future as we will probably have some time available for development again. I was messing around with Audiobus 3 integration but decided to leave it for now as it did not work well in our enviroment.

Personally I would love to have IAA input (to be able to drive sound into Stereosun from other apps/loopers, & record on the fly etc.). I am currently working on this, I hope we manage to get it to work but I can not promise anything yet.

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

• FYI: This StereoSun app has more parameters to adjust for each track than I originally thought. It's cool to have multiple loops all going on at the same time and adjusting levels based on spatial placement. The dev also answered my questions on their forum quickly and clearly. It's a really fun app and definitely worth the current price, if not a bit more IMHO.

The link implementation seems to work very well too.

I've only got 3 DJ apps to compare, but for fun factor and ease of control and use... this one might be my fav. Not wild about Traktor, but that could be that I just haven't spent enough time with it. DJDJ is more "granular" in it's adjustments of the loops and mixing, and appears to have more parameters you can control, but it can be a little fiddly for me nailing the exact loop section I want. Not so with StereoSun, very easy to work with.

• @smukdp said:
    Glad to hear you are having some fun with the app. I personally use it for gigs a lot (traktor + ableton link stereosun for loops).

@kobamoto padding is available in the detail the track (where the eq, volume and key control is - bottom right).

We dropped the price for now because we didn't have time to do any bigger updates (except the engine). I hope we will update more in the near future as we will probably have some time available for development again. I was messing around with Audiobus 3 integration but decided to leave it for now as it did not work well in our enviroment.

Personally I would love to have IAA input (to be able to drive sound into Stereosun from other apps/loopers, & record on the fly etc.). I am currently working on this, I hope we manage to get it to work but I can not promise anything yet.

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know.

thank you, I purchased at the original price long ago when we talked, will fire it up again. If it already has panning then only things left for me to request is side chain compression, and an sample slicer and loop editor.

• You can edit loops (length, start position etc.) in the detail, but unfortunately not slice them. Side-chaining is a long shot for now (even compression), but we will add it onto the wish-list and see if it can be done somehow.

• edited August 2017

How does this app compare to ROTOR? Concept looks more or less the same.

• @mannix said:

WAY DIFFERENT

ROTOR is a modular production system and performance style "Groove Box" including synthesis and high level parameter control.

S SUN is a sophisticated looper, DJ cut and spin, or novice beat or sample remix tool with a unique hands on interface.

MICRO VS MACRO

I would use a loop made in Sterosun in a ROTOR song.

I would use a song from Rotor in Stereosu n

THAT IS JUST ME THOUGH

• @RustiK said:

@mannix said:

WAY DIFFERENT

ROTOR is a modular production system and performance style "Groove Box" including synthesis and high level parameter control.

S SUN is a sophisticated looper, DJ cut and spin, or novice beat or sample remix tool with a unique hands on interface.

MICRO VS MACRO

I would use a loop made in Sterosun in a ROTOR song.

I would use a song from Rotor in Stereosu n

THAT IS JUST ME THOUGH

This is a pretty accurate comparison. The way I'm using StereroSun is to first bring in some soundscape tracks that sound like they may work well together. You can apply additional filters to each track, and/or have multiple tracks sphere-linked to the same fx. I'll then put them all at the bottom where there levels are zero, then slide them up and over to mix between each, as if I'm playing the soundscape loops as mixing instruments with occasional fx tweaks played by the x/y pad on the left.

Pretty much the same way I like to use AUM by loading up various channels of looping tracks with fx, and playing the slider levels while recording. But, with StereoSun it's more tactile and fun to mix using the spheres and loop fx.

• New Update for Stereosun.

Nice to see developers are still on it.

I love this app. It is not an every day app but it is one of those specialty apps that if it works with your workflow it is truly a joyful addition.

• It's for certain high on my black friday want list :)

• @RUST( i )K said:
    New Update for Stereosun.

I love this app. It is not an every day app but it is one of those specialty apps that if it works with your workflow it is truly a joyful addition.

Agreed. I bought it based on this thread. Often I forget I have it... notice it... and take it for a spin. Always rewarding. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    New Update for Stereosun.

Agreed. I bought it based on this thread. Often I forget I have it... notice it... and take it for a spin. Always rewarding. :)

Me to

Unfortunately with so many apps that is the norm now.....like wow whats this

When did I get this......LOL

• Glad to hear you are following it. I've added some new loops (should have added this a long time ago), so there is more to play with. There were also some issues with loops not being played at proper msecs so hopefully this is better now. I hope I will have time to update it in the future.

Currently we are considering some of the options below (and slowly developing one of them):

• Stereosun as a AUv3 Host
    • Extended library with more loop packages to download
    • maybe an integrated sequencer/sampler

What do you think would bring the most benefit? (it does not have to be on this list)

Cheers

• @smukdp Enjoying this again. Hadn’t really spent enough time to figure out the wrinkles, but have about half of it under control now :) Really very good, but I still feel that I’m missing out on the cream of what it can do. Have been through all your videos and the help section and really feel like I would like a 5 or 6 minute vid of simple use. Your vids are pretty polished, but don’t let that stop you doing something more ‘down and dirty’ that really takes a user through the process. Or maybe let Doug @thesoundtestroom have a copy and invite him to take us through it (if he hasn’t already :)....as for your ideas for development I would love a sequencer BUT for everyday use Sterosun as an AU3 would probably be the best way to get people using/integrating this into their workflow and thus get more regular work (and thus more exposure in the market via word of mouth etc).