Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best 909 app

Hi everyone! I'm searching for the best tr 909 app. I need it to be the most sound accurate... i have boom 909 but i don't like the sound of it... any idea? Thnx

Comments

• Tr909 samples + Patterning or BM3.

• edited August 2017

If you have cubasis, the last update had an iPad of classic drum machines one of which is a 909 I think.

There's also this one,

• I like the boom909 and his randomizer but you can try DM1 (a lot of vintage kits) , Beat machine , patterning...There are 808 and 909 almost in every drum apps anyway, There are inevitables classics ...

• YouTube! Go find a video of a REAL 909 and sample it into BEATMAKER 3!

• @Lorenzocosta said:
    Hi everyone! I'm searching for the best tr 909 app. I need it to be the most sound accurate... i have boom 909 but i don't like the sound of it... any idea? Thnx

There are thousands of 909 samples online. Probably your best bet. Rebirth was pretty good but...

• I'm actually also looking for really great 909 and 808 samples/ apps. There are loads online and in almost every drum app, but not all may suit your taste. DM1's are kinda trash IMO, but Boom808/909 I find better especially if tweaked well through BM3 or AUM with some processing or whatever DAW.

• I find this collection to be pretty good. Dry recordings with ESI-32 and various settings on the 909.
    http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TR-909/samples/

It's a very old collection but still one of the best out there if you ask me.

• edited August 2017

If you want to pay for them, http://samplesfrommars.com has the best 808/909/vintage drum machine samples I've ever heard.

Loaded into Patterning, they remain well-organized. Top-notch stuff.

• @Samu said:
    I find this collection to be pretty good. Dry recordings with ESI-32 and various settings on the 909.

Funny - they mention people having trouble with downloading the full kit because of the file size. It's about 4 MB. Shows how long hyperreal has been around. :D

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

Considering all the 909 apps out there I can think of are sample based (I think), @Samu's download link + any DAW/App with a sampler is ideal if you're going for "accuracy". (Whatever that means)

That said, FunkBox's 909 kits aren't all that bad.

• edited August 2017

@Samu said:
    I find this collection to be pretty good. Dry recordings with ESI-32 and various settings on the 909.

Holy shit. This site is jam packed full of drum machine samples, not just the 909s!

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/

Nice one Samu.

• Thank you everyone! As i suspected there is no app really close to the 909 sound (i own all the apps mentioned in this thread and i owned a real tr 909) so i think i will use a good sample set and bm3) thank you!

• edited August 2017

what you experience is the small yet noticable difference between 'real' analog gear and plain sample playback engines.
    Those EMU samplers had great capabilities to fine-tune a kit, quite time-expensive tweaks and the final result on those boxes rarely resembled the pure wave input sample.

You may consider to send the drum machine through one of the better guitar/bass amp emulations on IOS. They may add a bit of dynamic adjustment/smoothness when just crossing the border between clean and crunch.

• @Telefunky said:
    what you experience is the small yet noticable difference between 'real' analog gear and plain sample playback engines.
    Those EMU samplers had great capabilities to fine-tune a kit, quite time-expensive tweaks and the final result on those boxes rarely resembled the pure wave input sample.

You may consider to send the drum machine through one of the better guitar/bass amp emulations on IOS. They may add a bit of dynamic adjustment/smoothness when just crossing the border between clean and crunch.

@Telefunky said:

You're right... any thought on a good saturator to add cruchiness?

• it's not about the crunch exactly and the slight overdrive, but more about the dynamic and sound color that comes with it.
    Just like a guitar recorded dry with a DI box versus a clean amp recording of the same thing. Which also works amazingly well on pure digital synths like the DX-7.

• Saffron Saturator just released today for $2

• Perhaps overkill for what you're trying to do, but Beatmaker 3 has everything needed right in its sampler. You can start with the samples that sound best to you to begin with, then tweak them from there. After @Samu turned me on to the 909 sample set above, I set up a 909 kit as a starting point. Wherever the samples were provided with varying decays, I took the longest decay since that can always be shortened, but can't easily be lengthened.

Once that is in place, then there's every parameter available for tuning, filtering, envelope control, and even saturation. If that isn't enough, there's a whole array of built in FX, or the ability to add external FX per pad.

You can even set up Macro knobs to adjust things in similar ways to the originals with some creativity (haven't tried that yet, the idea just occurred to me as I wrote this).

If you know the sound you're going for, BM3's sampler can surely get you there.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

@wim said:
    You can even set up Macro knobs to adjust things in similar ways to the originals with some creativity (haven't tried that yet, the idea just occurred to me as I wrote this).

This actually works great. I messed with an 808 kit I had set up in a bank to set up the equivalent of the knobs on the 808.

A macro knob linked to the semitone pitch control, with a range of +/- 3 semitones on the bass drum mimicked the tone control nicely. One linked to the decay on an AHD envelope, and set to a workable range handles the decay control. The snare is similar, except that for the snappy knob, I used a combination of the sustain level on an AHDSR envelope, plus frequency and resonance on a peak filter. Etc. for the other pads. Plus I added a single saturation knob that allows for adding some adjustable overdriven feel to selected pads all at once.

Pretty damn cool. It's like my own custom built and modded 808. The only big problem I ran into was it appears all those settings may be lost if you replace the sample on the pad! I need to see if there's a workaround for this.

• @wim care to share the kit/project? or better yet, do a quick video tutorial about it? pretty sure many people (me included) will find that extremely helpful.

• I don't do videos, but will be happy to upload the bank and some notes after I've done a bit more work on it. Right now I've only worked on the bass drum and snare as a proof-of-concept.

• thanks in advance @wim!

• @huphtur said:
    thanks in advance @wim!

Meh. I kinda gave up on this last night, at least for now. I set off to make the most accurate 909 emulation I could with macros that do what all the knobs do on the 909. It proved to be too complicated to get accurate behavior. And then even if you do, and you change out a sample, all the macro knob assignments are removed. That's too messed up for me until BM3 has the ability to lock settings even if you change a sample. (there's a feature request for this on the Intua site already)

Still, with a good set of samples, you can make a kick-ass kit, and just swap in different samples combined with a mild amount of tweaking as needed.

• Ha no worries @wim. will try to mess with things myself. A for effort.

Also, have you seen this tutorial on how to make Techno beats on the 909? So funny at the 10:17 mark.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

Heh. That is funny. :D

Nowadays people would feel like they need a randomizer app to keep them from having to put in all those random hits.

• @huphtur said:
    Ha no worries @wim. will try to mess with things myself. A for effort.

Also, have you seen this tutorial on how to make Techno beats on the 909? So funny at the 10:17 mark.

I don't know why I enjoy this guy's videos so much, but I do.

• @oat_phipps said:

Same here, Paolo is pretty cool dude!
    And I do admit I have a soft spot for 'italo-disco' as well :D

• edited March 2018

Goldbaby Super Analog 909 !!
    The best collection with tube, compressor...

• @oat_phipps said:

@huphtur said:
    Ha no worries @wim. will try to mess with things myself. A for effort.

Because he's a delight. And a genuine, nerdy synth loving dad. What's not to love about the video of his three kids playing the 303, 808 and 909 respectively as wee ones and then the same kids playing the same instrument again 10 years later?

• Looking for my Go to 909 on the iPad atm. What are your current favs?