Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom LiveTrak - L-12 Digital Mixer and Multitrack Recorder

• Class-compliant mode (for iOS compatibility)
  • 12 discrete channels (8 mono plus 2 stereo) with XLR or 1/4-inch connectivity
  • 14-track simultaneous recording, 12-track playback
  • 14-in/4-out USB audio interface connectivity
  • 5 powered headphone outputs, each with a customizable and saveable mix
  • Add backing/click tracks from your computer to your live mix and recording
  • RCA and TS line inputs
  • 48V phantom power (channels 1-4 and 5-8)
  • Hi-Z connectivity (channels 1 and 2)
  • 26 dB pad (channels 3-8)
  • Built-in compression control (Channels 1-8)
  • Digital level meters -48 dB to -0 dB
  • Master mute button
  • Low-cut control
  • Stereo panning
  • Master and Monitor Outputs A-E
  • Scene saving function, up to 9 scenes saved at a time
  • 16 built-in delay and reverb effects with adjustable parameters
  • Built-in slate mic
  • SD card input
  • Built-in metronome
  • Automatic recording starting/stopping capability
  • Project protection
  • Import/export projects with USB 2.0 host port
  • Latency adjustment for A-to-D conversion
  • Compatible functions for ZOOM FS01 footswitch

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/ZNA_L-12_1_topSlant.png

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/styles/product_feature/public/products/product-features/zoom_LiveTrakWS_rear.png

Comments

• 5 headphone mixes? That's awesome.

• @Processaurus said:
    5 headphone mixes? That's awesome.

Indeed. Until you want to see what your actual main mix "looks" like and realize all the faders are fuxed because you had to use them for the headphone mix!

I so want to love this thing. I'm too old and stuck in my ways maybe. :)

• WOW! I thought with iOS mobile recording and the huge increases in affordability for laptop/DAW setups that digital all-in-one "PortaStudio's" were long gone. Tascam has it's DP-24 & 32, SD card based PortaStudio's but they're the last product of it's type Tascam will probably do, and it's been out several years now.

This thing immediately reminded me of the Korg D-888, a digital recorder/mixer combo but I think the mixer in the Korg is analog.

Very interesting Zoom decided to do this. But it does so much the whole digital standalone all-in-one recorder is just a small piece of the puzzle. As an iOS front end, being a class compliant interface, I can see EDM cats with multiple hadware setups use this as their main hub, linking iOS synth/drum/DAW apps with their hardware synths, drum machines, turntables, etc.

I don't really have a use for one, I'm quite happy with a 2x2 interface, monitors and an iPad. But I certainly wouldn't refuse one.

• Zoom have put a lot of thought into this. Of course it's not perfect for every situation but there's a lot packed into a single unit. Built in talk back mic, 4 headphone outs, record direct to SD, IOS compatibility.

Won't be buying it as I don't need it but I'm very impressed all the same.

• How many
    usable Aux Sends to external hardware? Need
    loads of them.

• The problem is that there are no DAWs on ios that let you use a control surface. Auria, perhaps, but that’s it afaik.

• @mistercharlie said:
    The problem is that there are no DAWs on ios that let you use a control surface. Auria, perhaps, but that’s it afaik

I didn't see anything about it being a control surface, but maybe I missed that?

• @chris_foster Whoops, totally made another post about this mixer earlier today without checking the forum and seeing you post. Sorry man... It looked so great when I saw a Facebook ad...just had to post something!
    It definitely has some drawbacks that have me looking elsewhere...but it definitely has some selling points too.

• @mrufino1 said:

@mistercharlie said:
    The problem is that there are no DAWs on ios that let you use a control surface. Auria, perhaps, but that’s it afaik

I didn't see anything about it being a control surface, but maybe I missed that?

Everything I've seen from the web says it's just an interface. But at 14in/4out it's a pretty stout interface for $600. Plus all the other features a purpose made interface wouldn't have.

For me, even if the Zoom had a control surface feature, the lack of automation would be a pain. I know it has scene automation for some things but I've worked with guys who had mixes/recorders with just scene automation, no moving faders or led-ring pots, and I wouldn't have the patience to mess with adjusting it.

• @Scottzilla82 said:
    @chris_foster Whoops, totally made another post about this mixer earlier today without checking the forum and seeing you post. Sorry man

Hey ...no worries, even when you do a search sometimes it doesn't show for some reason.

• @JRSIV said:

@mrufino1 said:

@mistercharlie said:

Everything I've seen from the web says it's just an interface. But at 14in/4out it's a pretty stout interface for $600. Plus all the other features a purpose made interface wouldn't have.

For me, even if the Zoom had a control surface feature, the lack of automation would be a pain. I know it has scene automation for some things but I've worked with guys who had mixes/recorders with just scene automation, no moving faders or led-ring pots, and I wouldn't have the patience to mess with adjusting it.

Yes, I've used some digital recorders and the presonus mixers that don't have moving faders and it is way too confusing. About to go do sound with a Soundcraft expression mixer that is just as confusing with moving faders, then later a Yamaha that is not confusing.

• I mis-read regarding the control surface feature. I wonder if it will still do that though — the Zoom R8 does.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I wonder if it will still do that though — the Zoom R8 does.

There's no reference to midi or DAW control in the manual unfortunately.

• If I had the money, I'd be all over this, it looks so immediately useful and adaptable.

• Did anyone here go for one of these?

• @mistercharlie said:
    The problem is that there are no DAWs on ios that let you use a control surface. Auria, perhaps, but that’s it afaik.

Auria definitely worked with the zoom R8 last time I tried it.

• Couldn’t resist!

It works like a dream with AUM. The USB return is straight forward and easy to use. Fader action is nice too.

The L12 does have some quirks and a few limitations but as an audio interface, mixer and recorder it does everything I needed to complete my setup. All that functionally definitely makes it good value.

• How many stereo inputs does it have?

• @Lurcher said:
    How many stereo inputs does it have?

Stereo Channels are 9/10 & 11/12. But these are also used for the USB returns so you’d have to choose the function of those.

I’m using one stereo pair for a Synth and the other for USB return, and 2 mono channels for other synth stereo inputs.

• @SpookyZoo. Do I understand correctly that this is essentially an 8 channel audio input interface for an iOS device? Can you use it as your DAW in your current workflow? Does it show up as output in AUM and AB3?
    Lots of questions, but I’m Intrigued here.

• Uh oh. Just noticed. No midi.

• edited February 2018

@Ben said:
    @SpookyZoo. Do I understand correctly that this is essentially an 8 channel audio input interface for an iOS device? Can you use it as your DAW in your current workflow? Does it show up as output in AUM and AB3?
    Lots of questions, but I’m Intrigued here.

Not tried AB3 yet but yes, all 14 inputs are exposed in AUM with outputs to the Zoom being 1/2 & 3/4. Via a USB and CCK. I’ll try to post some AUM screenshots later.

I’ve only had the Zoom a couple of days and although there are some limitations, I’m really liking the ‘all in one’ form of it.

Some of the quirks...

• Mute button is strange. Will mute to the 6 different headphone mixes, A-B and Master, but will still be heard on the Recording and USB output. Have to use the gain knob for that.

• Faders have a lovely action but they also have a strange quirk, which actually makes sense and is a nice feature when you wrap your head around it. The level values are ‘non-moving’ which means you don’t accidentally muck up your mix. The faders need to ‘pass by’ their last stored value to be changed.

2 videos that really explain the unit well are these...

• edited February 2018

@Ben said:
    Uh oh. Just noticed. No midi.

Yeah, which is a shame. Knew that going in though, so I’m not disappointed.

I’m currently using the Novation Audiohub to connect all my midi and then routing those via the AUM matrix. Works nicely.

Having 2 audio interfaces connected I just need to make sure that the Zoom is switched on last and then that is the one that AUM automatically picks up for audio input.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Couldn’t resist!

It works like a dream with AUM. The USB return is straight forward and easy to use. Fader action is nice too.

The L12 does have some quirks and a few limitations but as an audio interface, mixer and recorder it does everything I needed to complete my setup. All that functionally definitely makes it good value.

I think you need to send me that Peak and Mono Station to make some space for your coffee, cake plate and notepad on that desk ;)

• edited February 2018

Looks great, too bad it has no midi (again)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Couldn’t resist!

I think you need to send me that Peak and Mono Station to make some space for your coffee, cake plate and notepad on that desk ;)

Sorry fella, you’re out of luck. February 6 is far too earlier to be giving up this years health kick for Cake!

Try me again in August! :)

• hows the build on it?

• The Zoom looks pretty cool. I've been eyeing the SoundCraft 12 MTK as well...it's slightly le$$ with the same sort of onboard recording functionality.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/signature-12-mtk

• edited February 2018

@kobamoto said:
    hows the build on it?

It’s really nice. Main body is plastic but feels robust and smooth. Not too light, nor too heavy. Zoom did a good job. Faders are nice, buttons have a pleasing click. Bit of wobble on the knobs but nothing I’m too concerned with on those. Inputs have a nice firm click when plugging in.

• edited February 2018

@echoopera said:
    The Zoom looks pretty cool. I've been eyeing the SoundCraft 12 MTK as well...it's slightly le$$ with the same sort of onboard recording functionality.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/signature-12-mtk

Funnily enough I bought the MTK12 in November but couldn’t get it to work as intended. I have a feeling this was perhaps my confusion on how the USB return per channel was supposed to work. I returned it and put the money towards the live track.

The MTK12 is a nice unit, It has some real weight to it and is big and solid. although the faders have significant wobble that I didn’t like. Ultimately I couldn’t get on with the routing, but in the right hands I’m sure it’s very capable.

The live track was much more intuitive for me while being less feature packed mixer-wise.