Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone bought one of the little ROLI keyboards?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Arrives Thursday

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Arrives Thursday

Please keep us informed how it performs :)

• Anyone getting the Roli and or the Expressive E Touché MIDI Controller?

• What did everyone pay?

$300 seems high?

• edited August 2017
  • Cool video. I Just bought the blocks components. They are fucking brilliant and disappointing at the same time. Partly my fault, partly Roli's. Either way, a mostly good time.

• @robertreynolds said:
    Cool video. I Just bought the blocks components. They are fucking brilliant and disappointing at the same time. Partly my fault, partly Roli's. Either way, a mostly good time.

what is it that you find disappointing about them?

• edited August 2017

Lots of little things.

For example, you can only have one drum track at a time. I'm used to recording bass and snares first, then hi-hats, then percussion. You can't do that with the noise. You could if there was loop overdub recording, but there isn't.

I also find my recorded loop plays back with fucked up velocity first round after recording, then plays back okay on the second round.

What I like? The ability to jam and express emotion while playing. The sound packs are unlike anything else I own, simply fantastic. It's great recording into Ableton, but Noise on its own is limited,

• I have one on the way too. Supposed to ship by Friday. We'll see.

• I got a light pad block as a tester to see if MPE would work for me. Frankly, it's a crappy and unreliable piece of kit, unresponsive, unintuitive, and not well thought out, with an uninspired software base (noise) that has no space for modification or tweaking. I wanted it to sell me on the brand, but instead it turned me off the whole enterprise. It's just an expensive mini squishy launchpad.

I imagine the seaboard block will have the same issues - locked into uninspired software (noise and the equator player) with only 25 keys and no strips or fx pad. It doesn't have any of the key software bundled, so you get locked into the gimped ipad apps.

The light pad block was a disaster setting up with thumbjam, but maybe the keyboard might fare better.

I'd be tempted to get the rise for the full equator experience, and to synch it in with some kontakt libraries, but the block has turned me off so much that I just don't want to risk it. And I won't get the seaboard block without full access to equator.

• what about for using without the equator or any of the noise apps, do they work good as standard midi controllers?

• @Max23 said:

@RustiK said:
    What did everyone pay?

$300 seems high?

Your normal midikeyboard just does velocity.
    This thing is full of sensors,
    it captures touch in "5 dimensions",
    it's something completely different.
    It's pretty cheap actually, this stuff used to cost 1000s of dollars ;)

Let's be clear that is not a $300 Roli in the video.

I guess..................eah eah.....to your comment.

I think my choice must also take into account I am getting it for a 3rd ios device in which I don't have the ability to run USB based MIDI so this was an extra controller in addition to Launchpad Pro, Novation Keyboard, and a Livid controller.

• @rhizome said:
    I got a light pad block as a tester to see if MPE would work for me. Frankly, it's a crappy and unreliable piece of kit, unresponsive, unintuitive, and not well thought out, with an uninspired software base (noise) that has no space for modification or tweaking. I wanted it to sell me on the brand, but instead it turned me off the whole enterprise. It's just an expensive mini squishy launchpad.

I imagine the seaboard block will have the same issues - locked into uninspired software (noise and the equator player) with only 25 keys and no strips or fx pad. It doesn't have any of the key software bundled, so you get locked into the gimped ipad apps.

The light pad block was a disaster setting up with thumbjam, but maybe the keyboard might fare better.

I'd be tempted to get the rise for the full equator experience, and to synch it in with some kontakt libraries, but the block has turned me off so much that I just don't want to risk it. And I won't get the seaboard block without full access to equator.

Wow.

Sadly not the first person to say this.

Personally I think the app sound is amazing.

Just very beta as far as usefulness if not just recording sounds elsewhere or sampling from it.

So. this Seaboard Block, can a person choose what parameters(cc) are controlled and how?

Is it a fixed set per cc?

• I am also very curious if I can basically ignore the Noise app and use something like Animoog and extract/filter the MPE MIDI to use 'the five dimensions' in non-MPE apps?

• I like many of the sounds from the noise app as well :)

@rhizome how did you manage to get it to work with thumb jam?

• edited August 2017
  • @BiancaNeve said:
    I like many of the sounds from the noise app as well :)

@rhizome how did you manage to get it to work with thumb jam?

Sorry, I got confused. I meant Geoshred - it doesnt work wekk with Geoshred. I thought of Thumbjam because that is the app I turned in despair, for some MPE esque escape, to when the block got borked with other apps.

• @Max23 said:
    Im not interested in dideling rolis samplepacks or playing with their limited software that simply does not integrate into iOS.

Im interested in the little keyboard as MPE controller to play animoog and other things like the upcoming palm thing and other stuff I won't talk about ... ;)

Animoog is not as functional as you might like with blocks. No glide or slide. Would be interested to hear how you get on with the other apps though. Hope the keyboard turns out better.

I am going to give the lightblock another chance and see how it works in a non ios environment (probably try out Ethera in Kontakt).

• edited August 2017
  • edited August 2017
  • edited August 2017
  • which block the sparkly one with lights or one of the smaller black blocks?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mine arrived, it's great. Feels solid, and the sensitivity is really nice.

• Bluetooth is not good for MPE. I always get disconnected because of too much midi traffic (or so).
    In bluetooth mode it's only usable in normal mode where you turn all that polyphonic expressions off.
    At least that is my experience with the Rise 25 and my iPhone 6S plus as well with my macbook pro.

Mine arrived, it's great. Feels solid, and the sensitivity is really nice.

I'm genuinely curious about something. Can you scale lock it's output using midiflow scales ? Or white keys only mode in thumbjam/caustic ?

Mine arrived, it's great. Feels solid, and the sensitivity is really nice.

how's the direct usb connection control of apps, even without using mpe?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I'm genuinely curious about something. Can you scale lock it's output using midiflow scales ? Or white keys only mode in thumbjam/caustic ?

Yes

• edited August 2017

@kobamoto said:
    how's the direct usb connection control of apps, even without using mpe?

Great. Zero latency over BT.

USB C CABLE.