Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New VirSyn App: Bark Filter

This looks like something I can use. Comes equipped with AB3 state saving compatibility, IAA, and of course AUv3. If nothing else, this will be a useful spectral analyser, but I think having 20+ bands of multiband compression could produce insanely interesting results. I may wait to see if @jakoB_haQ or @thesoundtestroom makes a video about it first. ;) Cheers.

https://appsto.re/us/NcP9kb.i

Comments

• edited August 2017

Is it the same thing than fab filter Pro MB in Auria ? A multiband Compressor ? I will wait for the Doug's demo too ,Im not sure to need it immediately even if there is a nice intro price

• edited August 2017

Not falling for Virsyn again. Although this looks like something they couldn't possibly screw up as badly as their last couple effects apps.

• sounds like a log stripper :D

• edited August 2017

Yet another Virsyn app without fixing the Midi in their existing catalogue.

I'll likely copy and paste this for something new in another 6-8 weeks.

• ApeFilter can produce some pretty unusual sounds. Wonder how this compares.

Want it! But will resist until some videos appear.

• Wow. I bought it, couldn't resist when I read it had 27 band (!) compression and figured at least I'd have a spectrum analyzer outside of AuriaPro...

Well, and this is just 45 minutes with it in AUM running synths and loops through it: for $7 this is incredible. No it probably doesn't compare with Fab Filter's Pro-MB, which is the only one of the Auria Fab Filter plugs I don't have, so one of the other Auria users will have to weigh in. But I think for an effect you won't be reaching for all the time, like reverb, Bark Filter does some crazy compression.

I was able to all but erase the kick from one loop I messed with. Solo'd yeah you would know it was there but in a mix you could add another kick sound/rhythm with no one the wiser. VirSyn's Band Shift can really do tasks like that but it's that Bark can as well in ADDITION to general mono & stereo compression, 1 to 27 band multicompression, filtering and have a cool spectrum analyzer that made me buy it.

I know some of us don't care for VirSyn too much (I was very disappointed in the pedestrian Audio EffX multi effect app) but I do like their clean GUI's and usually when something is good it's very good (the Addictive & Tera synths). I'm going to mess with it some more, but first impressions I'm not disappointed at all, this thing is cool.

• Here's a review of Virsyn's Bark VST plugin from 2008.

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/virsyn-bark-166368#

• AU - 27 bands and all can be grouped and controlled however you see fit across the spectral range. Works great. Sounds great :)

• Wondering if you can use midi to automate parameters of discrete bands

• Is there way to modulate the amplitudes of the outputs of the different bands? Something like the Buchla 296(e) or the Verbos Bark Filter in Eurorack?

• @noisefan said:
    Here's a review of Virsyn's Bark VST plugin from 2008.

I hate to say it, but this review brought me damn near off the fence, this part in particular...

The scale has 24 bands (or Barks), which represent the first 24 critical bands of human hearing. In essence, these are the overlapping band-pass or 'auditory' filters present in our hearing system.

So why is this significant? Well, the bands themselves affect our ability to distinguish different pitches. In simple terms, two sounds falling within the same critical band can create a 'masking' effect, whereby one signal seriously affects our perception of the other. If they fall into different critical bands, this doesn't happen.

This sounds really cool and makes this come off as a dynamic EQ instead of a multiband compressor per se.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Wondering if you can use midi to automate parameters of discrete bands

MIDI learn for each master control but I don't think at individual band level.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Not falling for Virsyn again. Although this looks like something they couldn't possibly screw up as badly as their last couple effects apps.

With you there.

As I have Pro-MB, there is nothing this could do better, and it'll likely be worse.

• @oat_phipps said:

What problem do you find to Virsyn?
    I have Addictive Pro and Reslice and both are great apps!

• @AlexB said:

@oat_phipps said:

I can't speak for @oat_phipps, but personally I've been very disappointed by recent VirSyn apps. I do have both of their apps that you mention, and find ReSlice very useful. Addictive Synth is clever, but I never use the thing.

• @Zen210507 said:

@oat_phipps said:

With you there.

Me too. Used to be a big fan, but less than impressed with their recent output.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

@Trueyorky said:

@Littlewoodg said:

It's an AUv3. In hosts that support AUv3 automation, you should be able to automate any parameters it exposes, and from what I can see it exposes everything.

• @wim said:

@Trueyorky said:

@Littlewoodg said:

It's an AUv3. In hosts that support AUv3 automation, you should be able to automate any parameters it exposes, and from what I can see it exposes everything.

Yes, of course.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@noisefan said:
    Here's a review of Virsyn's Bark VST plugin from 2008.

I hate to say it, but this review brought me damn near off the fence, this part in particular...

The scale has 24 bands (or Barks), which represent the first 24 critical bands of human hearing. In essence, these are the overlapping band-pass or 'auditory' filters present in our hearing system.

So why is this significant? Well, the bands themselves affect our ability to distinguish different pitches. In simple terms, two sounds falling within the same critical band can create a 'masking' effect, whereby one signal seriously affects our perception of the other. If they fall into different critical bands, this doesn't happen.

This sounds really cool and makes this come off as a dynamic EQ instead of a multiband compressor per se.

Exactly. I ran NeoSoulKeys through it and the effect was much more EQ than comp when changing certain bands. This is one I'll just have to REMEMBER I have! Sometimes in Auria it becomes automatic to grab a FabFilter plug but when youve got like 60 or 70 AU's, IAA and AudioBus "plugins" I'm sure I'm missing out on at the very least interesting experimentation & experience.

@Zen210507 I'd agree it's nothing to really buy if you have Pro MB. There's this quasi EQ mentioned but as MB is the one FF I don't have I'm not sure it won't do something similar.

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@AlexB said:

@oat_phipps said:

I can't speak for @oat_phipps, but personally I've been very disappointed by recent VirSyn apps. I do have both of their apps that you mention, and find ReSlice very useful. Addictive Synth is clever, but I never use the thing.

Latest update from Addictive pro provided 4 individual Arp AB3 midi output. Even you are not interested in the synth,the arp is fantastic!!!

• how does a developer you release an app and you dont do a video for it and you have a youtube channel ? come on Doug show me the money lol

• This sounds pretty cool. It might be terrific automated in BM3. I'm trying to see the downside of this and failing.

• edited August 2017

Very good one and will be useful.
    I respect VirSyn for porting their solution to iOS. They have many useful apps, s.a. Their vox and chorus ones, couple of powerful synths etc. Effects and Arps all over the place. Just good stuff. If the sound is not to the liking, I would just slam warm compressor on top of the tracks in question after filtering it nicely, case closed.

virsyn-for-president

It's hardly major investment for anyone or "trap" by the developer to offer their product for $7

If I (note here "I") were in doubt, instead of bashing the product and discuss for a long time why I will NOT BUY, I would grab couple of extra hours shift at Walmart and just buy the frea...g thing. Takes about the same time and I would at least have the option of deleting it later. Another option.
    Just say'n :*

• @AlexB said:
    Latest update from Addictive pro provided 4 individual Arp AB3 midi output. Even you are not interested in the synth,the arp is fantastic!!!

Okay, Alex. Will check that out.

• Does it have any bite?

• It has real time spectrum display. Happy days...

• Seems much quicker to dial in frequencies than ApeFilter.

• @noisefan said:
    Seems much quicker to dial in frequencies than ApeFilter.

Got it last night. It definitely is, but ApeFilter is a lot more "out there", and needs to be tamed sometimes. Bark Filter starts out more polite and needs to be coaxed. ApeFilter can make your ears bleed.

• Ah wow, I like the looks of this. Is it Side-chainable?