Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiple 10/100/1000 Ethernet Interfaces for iPad

Here I daisy-chained 2 Aukey USB 3.0 Hubs together, plugging one out to the CCK 3. As you can see you get multiple GB Ethernet interfaces for the iPad + as many USB devices as you want (Six 3.0 ports on each Hub + 1 additional 2.4a charging port). Great way to have all your hardware, printers, webcams, control surfaces etc connected to the iPad. iConnect Devices plugged into the hub enumerate as well.

Oh - and no Apple USB-to-Ethernet dongle required (which is only a 10/100 connection anyway). Just plug the Hub out to your Switch (router/modem etc). I wrote an earlier article on how much I like these hubs - but just discovered multiple ethernet interfaces work on iOS.

Comments

• So could I use this to power the cck3 ?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    So could I use this to power the cck3 ?

Yes, with the 2.4 port.

• @5pinlink said:
    So you can use this for hardware Ableton link and bypass wifi entirely ?

Yes. Just checked by disabling Wi-Fi on the Mac and iPad.

• Wow, great find!

Thanks for sharing!

• Thx> @5pinlink said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@5pinlink said:
    So you can use this for hardware Ableton link and bypass wifi entirely ?

Yes. Just checked by disabling Wi-Fi on the Mac and iPad.

That is great, another dongle removed, brilliant find, thanks :)

Thx! Sadly, it made my day.

• wimwim
    edited July 2017

So, if you plugged the Ethernet into, say, an 8 port Ethernet switch, everything on the switch could be recognized by the iPad? If so, it would be killer for a live setup so as to not have to worry about WiFi or Bluetooth problems.

• @wim said:
    So, if you plugged the Ethernet into, say, an 8 port Ethernet switch, everything on the switch could be recognized by the iPad?

Yes, at least In my case; the Aukey hubs, MacBook Pro (TB-to-Ethernet), and PC’s are plugged out to my switch. Link (Ethernet) works between the Switch-connected devices. Same goes for (Ethernet) Midi between the switch-connected devices, via the Network Session on the MBP, and IP or RTP MIDI on the PC.

In the pic above, each Aukey hub is plugged out to my switch, with the usb host port of the first hub into the CCK 3, and the usb Host port of the second hub into one of the data ports on the first hub.

I have a few more scenarios to try out tomorrow, but so far I haven’t had any surprises.

• Sweet. Must. Have.

• I do my archiving to an external hard drive attached to a TripMate travel router, but that can be pretty slow wirelessly. Those things are still really handy, but this sounds like a winner. Thanks for the info!

• Would one of you kind folks be able to test if Studiomux works, if I was to connect my ipad to a Windows7 PC through this hub,
    Thanks
    gsm909

• @gsm909 said:
    Would one of you kind folks be able to test if Studiomux works, if I was to connect my ipad to a Windows7 PC through this hub,
    Thanks
    gsm909

Definitely works. You get the IDAM (Mac) connection as well. Of course, unlike my above scenario, the hub’s host port in your case would be plugged out to your PC.

• Thanks @Aud_iOS , these Aukey hubs are only £36 from Amazon UK, but for any friends in the USA, Amazon have a special price of $26, bargain!

• @gsm909 said:
    Thanks @Aud_iOS , these Aukey hubs are only £36 from Amazon UK, but for any friends in the USA, Amazon have a special price of $26, bargain!

Sure. I think the USB-to-Ethernet dongle is more expensive than this hub. In theory, any proper hub with an ethernet jack should work like this. I did a fair amount of searching, this was the only one I found with 10/100/1000 + 2.4 + 6 USB 3.0 ports. They have less expensive models, with fewer 3.0 ports. Their CB-H19 is a good iOS option, it's got 4 USB 3.0 ports + three 2.4a charging ports, and the gb ethernet. Here's the Hub Product page. If you happen to have a USB-C device, they've got a 3 port + RJ45, as well.

Lastly, will mention the hub is very light. It's got 4 very small rubber feet on the bottom, but unless your cords exert no pull, the hub is going to lift up, and you'll need to affix it. I was surprised at its dimensions, it's only about 5" long and 2" wide.

If you don't need 6 ports, you can get one with 3 ports, probably for 10$ or so. And if you already have a hub, should be no problem to plug it out into this hub:

• edited July 2017

So if I hooked 2 iPads up with these hubs via the Ethernet port on each, could I use Ableton Link between both devices without any internet connection? If so, this is exactly what I'm looking for...

• I need to look a little more but seems great for many reasons I guess.

• @Scottzilla82 said:
    So if I hooked 2 iPads up with these hubs via the Ethernet port on each, could I use Ableton Link between both devices without any internet connection? If so, this is exactly what I'm looking for...

I can't test this properly. I think it's only the CCK 3 that enumerates the Ethernet connection - I only have 1 of those and I think both iPads would need plugged out to the hub that way, lightning-to-USB doesn't work for Link, unless the Hub is hosted by the Mac/PC.

Here's another cord elimination - while it won't charge, the downstream ports on the hub do provide 500ma power. So you don't need to power the CCK for the connection to work.

• This is actually brilliant. Anyone using multiple iOS devices on stage should be able to get this hub + CCK for each iOS device and essentially eliminate the need for wifi. Not a cheap solution, but could be critical when wi-fi gets too crowded in public venues

• @gsm909 said:
    Thanks @Aud_iOS , these Aukey hubs are only £36 from Amazon UK, but for any friends in the USA, Amazon have a special price of $26, bargain!

I didn't see anything about special pricing. Is there a reference to that anywhere. I'm particularly interested if it's a time-limited offer.

• edited July 2017

@Hmtx said:
    This is actually brilliant. Anyone using multiple iOS devices on stage should be able to get this hub + CCK for each iOS device and essentially eliminate the need for wifi. Not a cheap solution, but could be critical when wi-fi gets too crowded in public venues

Exactly what Im trying to do at the moment. Here is the thread I started yesterday...

I was already trying to sync 2 ipads with sync and link with no network before I was tipped off to this post.
    I've already got the CCKs, 2 iPads and a plan... I'm gonna go ahead and order 2 of these and I'll report back with my findings. 2 hubs and more cords on the desk is a bit annoying, but fingers crossed that this might be the solution I'm looking for to finish my mad science experiment...FrankenMidi :smiley: ...yeah I said it...

• I've become a big fan of Behringer's Line2USB. Can confirm that you can plug out from the Circuit with the Line2USB into the Aukey Hub, hosted by the iPad. So if you have another instrument you want to get audio into the iPad, it's a good option.

• Something is really confounding me. In the above setup:
    Line to USB from Circuit to Aukey Hub
    Aukey Hub host port plugged out to CCK 3, into iPad.

In AUM, as pic above shows, the Line2USB shows as USB PnP Audio Device, selected as Input
    In AUM's output I select Speaker L+R as Output.

What I don't understand is that I'm getting Audio Output to my main studio monitors! I don't understand how this is happening, as there's nothing else plugged into the AuKey Hub, or In/Out the headphone jack. When I play the Circuit, the Speaker Out meter in AUM is showing the Audio. My only guess is the Audio is passing over ethernet, somehow utilizing the audio pass-through of the iConnectMidi4+??? The ICM4+'s second host port is currently plugged into the 2nd AuKey Hub, which is hosted by my MBP, along with its ethernet connection to my switch. And fwiw I also have the Hardware Midi I/O's of the Circuit plugged into the ICM4+'s Din 1/2 ports. But I really don't understand how the Audio is going from the Circuit into the iPad, then out through my monitors? https://youtu.be/D3iFspayACM

• edited August 2017

@wim said:

@gsm909 said:

I didn't see anything about special pricing. Is there a reference to that anywhere. I'm particularly interested if it's a time-limited offer.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Powered-Ethernet-Charging-Smartphones/dp/B01IDI9V3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501584191&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Aukey+USB+hub+Ethernet&psc=1

• Just for the reliability of a plugged in network, that would be worth it. I don't play live, but I do work in IT, and I would never rely on wireless unless there was no other choice. Never know what you're going to get.

• @gsm909 said:

@wim said:

@gsm909 said:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Powered-Ethernet-Charging-Smartphones/dp/B01IDI9V3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501584191&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Aukey+USB+hub+Ethernet&psc=1

No mention of when the sale price might go away. Good move on their part. Sigh ... gotta have. One more piece of geeky equipment I'll prolly use once or twice a year. ;)

• edited August 2017

The USB hub is on a lightening deal on at Amazon U.K. at the moment for £22.99.

• @kewtips said:
    The USB hub is on a lightening deal on the U.K. at the moment for £22.99.

Link please.

• It is a lightening deal. Hopefully this works: item is on the 4th row currently.

link

• edited August 2017

Purchased this exact setup and it's working great: gigabit Ethernet, Behringer umc202hd, Nektar keyboard (the keys at least), charging my iPad Pro through the 2.4 charging port, all performing well. Thanks for the head's up.

• Maybe just stupid but: Ethernet cable I understand comes from the router ,or? And what is the advantage for your Ipad setup? Having direct LAN connection instead of WIFI?

• edited August 2017

Yep, the USB hub has an Ethernet port, so you just run your cat5 (or cat6 for gigabit) cable out to your switch or router and you're connected at Ethernet speeds. (In my case, my internet downloads went from 35mbps to 125mbps. (Slower uploads are the same). More importantly for me music-wise, my connection to the other computers on my local network are much quicker, so using FileManager I can transfer 2 gigs of drum-loops from my Mac to my iPad Pro in under a minute... much faster than wifi. If the iOS 11 Files app eventually allows us to transfer directly into app directories for apps like Auria or Cubasis, we're really talking. (Eliminating the need for using something like iFunbox). :)