Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nikolozi's NFM

The dev of MIDI Sketch and NS1 just released a new FM synth AU that looks very cool:

NFM on the App Store

Comments

• I’m would love classic DX7 sounding EP’s. As AU. Does this do the trick?

• Bought it.

It is like a 6 operator FM8. Looks very promising. It has feedback for each operator. It looks like you can do very deep FM synthesis with this and it's probably easy to convert FM8 patches to this.

@RustiK. Not to be rude, but do you know anything about FM because this app is nothing like the apps you listed. This is real FM, as is Phasemaker and FM4 and DXi.

• How does it compare with Phasemaker?

(which is about half the price and offers an interesting feature set)

• @realdavidai said:
    I’m would love classic DX7 sounding EP’s. As AU. Does this do the trick?

Yes. Very well. Already ported full tines. Sounds great.

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    How does it compare with Phasemaker?

(which is about half the price and offers an interesting feature set)

So far, more powerful because of more control over the algorithms and individual feedback. Very much like FM8 with 6 operators. Also has FM gain and distortion and very powerful envelopes and Modulation routings. Very impressive so far.

• @overorange said:
    The dev of MIDI Sketch and NS1 just released a new FM synth AU that looks very cool:

NFM on the App Store

Thanks for the pointer.
    Have his other apps. Bought this one and it's very promising. Will dive into the algorithms to see how he implements the modulation.

• Those apps have different roles in music making.
    The apps from Alexander are not very deep and relatively expensive for what they can do, for those who really bother to compare few dollars.
    FM synthesis is of course totally different beast and 6 modules plus accessories can offer very interesting and deep platform for sound design.

But you know this all very well and probably gloating immensely while pulling some legs. :D

• @idexis interested to know your thoughts on TF7 with all of the algorithm IAPs as well?

• edited July 2017

This is the first time I've balked at the price of an iOS synth. That is based entirely on the quality of NS1, which was neat as one of the early AUs , but that's about as far as that went. I'll stick with good ol' Phasemaker.

• @oat_phipps said:
    This is the first time I've balked at the price of an iOS synth. That is based entirely on the quality of NS1, which was neat as one of the early AUs , but that's about as far as that went. I'll stick with good ol' Phasemaker.

Yeah, NS1 is a bit expensive for being a nice-sounding but fairly basic subtractive synth. NFM looks to be more substantial, at least from the screenshots and description.

• I'm on an iPad mini 4, and I'm wondering what NFM's cpu use is like. FM synthesis seems to have less demanding requirements, but I'd rather know more before clicking Buy.

• edited July 2017

Does the UI of NFM 'scale'?

I'm looking at the fullscreen shots on my Air 2 and the fonts that are used are just way too small for me to use comfortably. It almost feels like it's intentionally designed to be un-userfriendly :(
    (It could be that the screenshots are made on 12.9" iPad and scaling them down to Air 2 makes things too small?).

• This needs a sound demo...I’ll pull the trigger if it sounds > @locosynth said:

@realdavidai said:
    I’m would love classic DX7 sounding EP’s. As AU. Does this do the trick?

Yes. Very well. Already ported full tines. Sounds great.

How did you port?

• Too pricey for me at this stage (rightly or wrongly). But makes other recent things (Kasper for example) look like a bargain....

• edited July 2017

@gusgranite said:
    @idexis interested to know your thoughts on TF7 with all of the algorithm IAPs as well?

Hey gusgranite, I'm traveling his weekend so I will not be on the forum with enough time until tomorrow. Just wanted to let you know, I'm not ignoring the discussion. Would love to talk about the FM synths for iOS. Have TF7 of course and all the IAP.
    Expect to be by the keyboard tomorrow night (GMT 18+).
    I'm not sure if it is even etiquette to answer on forums with "no answer" answer... :#
    Still I find it more courteous than silence against direct question . Until then.

• Cuckoo did an interesting tutorial on FM4 the other day

• @idexis said:

Those apps have different roles in music making.
    The apps from Alexander are not very deep and relatively expensive for what they can do, for those who really bother to compare few dollars.
    FM synthesis is of course totally different beast and 6 modules plus accessories can offer very interesting and deep platform for sound design.

But you know this all very well and probably gloating immensely while pulling some legs. :D

No doubt

I have Phasemaker and the FM YAMAHA so still not knowing if"when" I will buy....LOL

• @idexis no problem! Appreciate it.

Looking forward to hearing more about this NFM synth as well.

• Would love to see an FM synth with DX7 import. Does it have it?

• Not for 17€, thanks.

• NFM looks good. I love FM synthesis and I think I will purchase this soon. However, so far I don't see any chorus or reverb fx on this yet.

• Sounds good though I probably won't pay the price.
    BTW, FM4 hasn't been updated in 2 years...

• Love that sound

• The NS1 was lovely and was one of the first AU synth if you remembered well so this dev was a kind of precusor in the AU process though it's a pity his apps never have sales.
    We have so much FM synths on the appstore (fm yamaha,phasemaker,dxi,fm4,TF7,TF8,FM6 etc, it's a 80's madness :)
    Sounds like it's time to play again this FM bass of TOP GUN lol

• Bought. Sounds really great but can't see preset list in BM3. It does record AU parameter changes though by - Showing AU Knobs. Presets are showing in AUM.

• The only comparable apps are Phasemaker and TF7.

The others are 4 operator. For sound design there is a huge difference between 4 and 6 operator.

With NFM you make your own algorithm with the matrix just like Native Instruments FM8. It is very easy to create sounds with NFM versus those others. It sounds better than Phasemaker. Closer to the DX7. TF7 sounds great too but it is a hybrid synth, not pure FM.

I have been playing around with this for the last 24 hours. It’s worth the price. I paid $99 for FM8 on the Mac and it’s usually $199. Come on guys, support the developers that make good stuff so they will keep it going.

Everyone was complaining about the DRC price but it’s one of the best sounding synths on iOS. It was worth it. This one is too.

• @Artmuzz said:
    NFM looks good. I love FM synthesis and I think I will purchase this soon. However, so far I don't see any chorus or reverb fx on this yet.

that's the best feature of the app and the proper way because it's an AU device.
    According to the description there's chorus/phasing, likely from the synth engine itself by displacing parameters.

• I made a quick sample of a sound I created in NFM using BM3 and recorded my jamming - no external processing.

• edited July 2017

hard to tell as you seem to have some reverb added, but the tone seems to have some of the original DX-7 grit - good stuff.
    ps: just watched a video (the clip from bimbam above) and the 'verby' thing is more likely from the flanger pad that adds some ambience.
    (can't tell if some overshoots are from his recording or the engine, but fm can get wild anyway)