Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Where and how to best record MIDI?`

There are lots of instruments like KRFT that allow to direct MIDI to some target.
The same goes for sequencers like midiSteps and others.

But where to record that MIDI at best?

o Gadget ... has it´s limitation, but you can record as much as you prepare for.

o modstep ... i cannot get it to record past the first 16 patterns of a clip, which is 16 bars.

o Cubasis or Audio Evolution ... both do not seem to have a limitation and so you can later edit and save what you liked.

o AUM ... Is there a way to record MIDI in AUM and save it somehow?

What do you use?
How do you record MIDI from actual play or some sequencer for backup and later work?

Comments

• Genome - iPad

Infinite Looper - iPhone

• @RustiK said:
    Genome - iPad

Infinite Looper - iPhone

Check

• Beatmaker2 that's 2 has/had a great midi recording feature that allows editing. I assuming BM3 has the same.

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

Genome and Infinite Looper are sadly no MIDI targets in AudioBus.
    I will still try with them, thanks!

BM3 seems to have some MIDI problems - I am waiting for the next version ;-)

• edited July 2017

I use modstep. You can slow down each segment by 4 to effectively record 64 bars. Just use the speed 1/4x. Disable quantise and you're sorted. I think 64bars is enough don't you ?

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

One bar = 2 seconds, right?
    64 bars = 128 seconds

Say you make it very slow, this is still only some minutes.

That's not even enough for a regular song of 3 to 5 minutes!

Record an ambient song of 1 hour or more is not possible - so, modstep is sadly no solution.

• tjatja
    edited July 2017

I think, that this could easily be fixed in modstep - like in Gadget, it should allow to record into already existing clips (scenes in Gadget) - or better have a mode to auto-expand while recording.

That's a strange omission.

• edited July 2017

@tja said:
    Genome and Infinite Looper are sadly to MIDI targets in AudioBus.

There are a lot of midi fixes coming in next update that should be out very soon. Currently, a lot of people have midi working normally, some cant send midi out, and some like me, cant get midi input to work.

I think bm3 is definitely the way to go. Definitely worth all the hype(i have abandoned everything but bm3 and au's, and not looking back), but as mentioned, some people still experience some baby bugs

• Really wish Gadget would just automatically add additional scenes of the same length while recording. The fact that you have to map out a predetermined recording time by duplicating scenes is ridiculous.

• edited July 2017

Why not just compose via multiple scenes. I can't imagine that you are going to have unique notes playing for an hour. Music is about repetition, change, and arrangement. Just because you can't lay down an hour of Midi in a timeline is no reason not to compose.

So much can be done with so little. B)

Learn to compose based on constraints otherwise you will never make music.

Just my humble opinion as a novice to all of this.

Honestly I think you could do an hour ambient track in modstep easily. If you are using AU synths it would be easy.

However if you are stuck on the notion of needing to compose an hour of Midi just use Cubasis, Auria Pro, GarageBand or Beatmaker which give you access to a traditional timeline.

Rememebr, music is just like life. There are no limits...just excuses. :D

• @echoopera said:
    Why not just compose via multiple scenes. I can't imagine that you are going to have unique notes playing for an hour. Music is about repetition, change, and arrangement. Just because you can't lay down an hour of Midi in a timeline is no reason not to compose.

Just my humble opinion as a novice to all of this.

Yeah I hear ya. And I do compose with scenes. And it's fine and music gets made whether it be Gadget or elsewhere (mostly elsewhere). I just think it would be rather fun and liberating to press record and if, during recording my 8 bars or whatever, I happen to be overcome with passion and groove and want to play a follow up phrase of 8 or more bars on the spot, I don't have to think to myself "shit I only made 1 8 bar scene" and stop the music. Or maybe I just want to jam for a solid minute and keep the scenes with the good stuff only. That sounds like fun. So it's not going to cripple my ability to make music, but boy it sure would be nice and handy know what I mean?

• edited July 2017

Sure I get you. But that's just a workflow problem and there are solutions for it out there.

I would love to do full animation in Photoshop...but I can't. So I use After Effects to animate.

Don't let tools be your limitation. There are tools to resolve the friction.

For your scenario I'd just use GarageBand and then pick out the Midi I found interesting to compose from...and finish there or elsewhere.

My grandfather always told me that, "...it was a poor craftsman who complained about his tools."

Also think about it from the perspective of constraints being a good thing. It forces you to become creative and deliberate at times.

• @tja I have had great success with the lite version of Ableton Live. Its super easy to record in midi and export the midi clips. If you want to get a computer involved. Great fun to be had putting Xynthesizr playing random midi notes, then chopping out the sections I like for later use.

• @gmslayton said:
    @tja I have had great success with the lite version of Ableton Live. Its super easy to record in midi and export the midi clips. If you want to get a computer involved. Great fun to be had putting Xynthesizr playing random midi notes, then chopping out the sections I like for later use.

Love it B)

• edited July 2017

Hi @tja
    You can use an app like KRFT as a sequencer, or the sequencer apps like Genome, Modstep, Infinite Looper to steam multiple midi channels at multiple channels in Audio Evolution, Cubasis and bypass AB3 midi, using core midi. Host the instruments in seperate midi channels in the DAWs and send midi to each channel from your sequencer...if the device bogs down with all the seperate instrument apps, both DAWs have useful onboard instruments for sketching that are far less CPU hungry...

• edited July 2017

@ToMess said:

@tja said:
    Genome and Infinite Looper are sadly to MIDI targets in AudioBus.

There are a lot of midi fixes coming in next update that should be out very soon. Currently, a lot of people have midi working normally, some cant send midi out, and some like me, cant get midi input to work.

I think bm3 is definitely the way to go. Definitely worth all the hype(i have abandoned everything but bm3 and au's, and not looking back), but as mentioned, some people still experience some baby bugs

But can BM3 'export' midi.. ? That is the question...

• @db909 said:
    Really wish Gadget would just automatically add additional scenes of the same length while recording. The fact that you have to map out a predetermined recording time by duplicating scenes is ridiculous.

Yep.
    But still better than modstep, right now

• @echoopera said:

Now ;-)
    I was not clear enough...

If I would compose, of course this would suffice.

But I was talking about recording MIDI from an instrument - so about recording a performance.

More clear?

• @echoopera said:
    For your scenario I'd just use GarageBand and then pick out the Midi I found interesting to compose from...and finish there or elsewhere.

So, your answer to my question would be GarageBand.

I hate that, but would replace it by Cubasis currently - or later maybe BM3.

• @gmslayton said:
    @tja I have had great success with the lite version of Ableton Live. Its super easy to record in midi and export the midi clips. If you want to get a computer involved. Great fun to be had putting Xynthesizr playing random midi notes, then chopping out the sections I like for later use.

I'm on iPad only :-)))

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Hi @tja
    You can use an app like KRFT as a sequencer, or the sequencer apps like Genome, Modstep, Infinite Looper to steam multiple midi channels at multiple channels in Audio Evolution, Cubasis and bypass AB3 midi, using core midi. Host the instruments in seperate midi channels in the DAWs and send midi to each channel from your sequencer...if the device bogs down with all the seperate instrument apps, both DAWs have useful onboard instruments for sketching that are far less CPU hungry...

Yes ;-)
    I will check if Genome or Infinite Looper could be used as MIDI records without limitation, otherwise I will use Cubasis as before and later check BM3 again.

Thanks to all of you!

• Happy composing and jamming :#

• Has anyone used this app?

http://musicappblog.com/multitrackstudio-for-ipad-update-11/

It looks promising - but it does not seem to have any reviews in the App Store.

• @tja said:
    I think, that this could easily be fixed in modstep - like in Gadget, it should allow to record into already existing clips (scenes in Gadget) - or better have a mode to auto-expand while recording.

That's a strange omission.

Did you manage to do this in Modstep now with the Loop numbers predifined?

• @HokieKev said:
    Has anyone used this app?

I don't own this app but I'm sure I've seen a few peeps here praise it.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@HokieKev said:
    Has anyone used this app?

I don't own this app but I'm sure I've seen a few peeps here praise it.

Easy to integrate with AudioBus 3?

I am new to this AB3 stuff - having a lot of fun playing with Korg PlugKey, Korg Module, Korg iM1. I set up a Keyboard to send MIDI out to PlugKey/Audiobus ,Korg Module/iM1) and I reconfigured the Keyboard Midi Thru port to send out to Logic Pro on a Mac to record the Midi. But I really love just powering up the iPad sitting on my Keyboard and messing around without have to boot the Mac and go in and muck with Logic.

Of course, I'd probably want an "out" to export MIDI eventually into Logic Pro from whatever MIDI app on the iPad I use - for doing a final touch-up or swapping different instruments in and out or changing effects, etc.

• Klimper for composition.

Klimper Music Composition by Tobias Suellhoefer
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/klimper-music-composition/id1189322675?mt=8

And HumMark for vocals!

HumMark by Yen-Ying Huang
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hummark/id1098568487?mt=8

Both do midi file out.

• And i read that MIDI Out is in development, so that i just bought Klimper ;-)

• One tip if using AEM - if your midi data has Channel info, you can use a single recording, then quickly split it out into separate tracks based on its Channels. Much easier and lighter than using multiple channels etc

• You mean, that when for example, I send multiple channels from SoundPrism Pro into AUM, I can record all channels together in one track and later split them into different tracks?

How to do this?