Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

READ MY SOLUTION AFTER THE ORIGINAL POST...

—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�-

Since I bought the new iPad Pro 12.9” I’ve temporarily gotten problem with strange behavior into Beathawk 2.x.
After a while the latency on the pads goes up to half a second - very slow...
It can even be digital noise a couple of seconds sometimes.

I don’t took notice of this first. I thought there where a bug in Beathawk 2 considering the new hardware in the new generations of iPad...

But, then come Beatmaker 3, and problem continues into this app also... Hmmm... Same problem, same behavior...

I’m on iOS 10.33 and have a 256GB version with cellular 4G SIM-card.

But, I’m very fortunate, I have my “old” iPad Pro 12.9” (bought late 2015) left. And, with the same configuration, the same apps, 128GB and cellular 4G.
The old iPad Pro goes supersmooth with both Beathawk 2 and with Beatmaker 3!

Strange...
Can sometimes even notice an laggy behavior into Affinity Photo, especially with heavy big pictures and some filter effects...

If I do a quick restart of the laggy app it continues to a rapid mode again, for a halv minute, then it can come back to very long latency... WTF?

Anyone out there that have heard anybody else with similar problem with the new generation iPads?

Can it be somewhere in the system core code of iOS 10.xx that causes this latency and strange behavior?

Or, is my new beloved iPad Pro broken? :-(

Lucky to have two others iPad to play with (have also my iPad Air2 left in the house)...

—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—�—

Hello gals & pals out there!
Good new here (for me at least)...

Now I have been testing and testing to isolate the problem with my increasing latency on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9"...
10 hours later I’m pretty convinced that it must be something iOS core software that bring this problem to the new generation iPad Pros...

I just finished a five (5) hour long session in Beatmaker 3, including Beathawk 2 as AUv3 And Korg Gadget as IAA - WITHOUT any kind of problem!!

The SOLUTION for me is just this:

Clean the internal RAM (shut of/home button for five seconds)
Start Beatmaker 3 with the audiocable plugged in (headphone/speaker system)
Wait 10 seconds
Unplug the cable for at least five seconds
Replug the cable
Have fun for several hours without any problem!

I’ve tested this many many time since saturday, and it seems to be a 100% solution for my iPad Pro at least...

Before that, I’ve tested all kind of different headphones. The three I have with me on the vacation right now (that all causes this audio latency) is a pair of Koss for $40, a pair of Audio Technica for $150 and a pair of Sony for $300...

For you guys hesitating to buy a new iPad Pro, don’t... This software thing must have a near solution...

But, it’s strange that not Apple has seen this in Garageband? The same problem occurs there also...

So, for now I’m happy, and, I can easily live with this a little while more...

Comments

• edited July 2017

I experienced similar lssues from time to time on my iPad Pro 10.5 inch however I decided to do the iOS 11 beta and since then the problem seems to have disappeared.

It might be an issue with the increased refresh rate

• I'm curious. Are the problems only occurring in iOS 10.X ? I'm contemplating buying one of the pros but all the problems keep bringing up have made me hesitate.

• @realdavidai said:
    I experienced similar lssues from time to time on my iPad Pro 10.5 inch however I decided to do the iOS 11 beta and since then the problem seems to have disappeared.

It might be an issue with the increased refresh rate

I saw other reports of audio latency issues with the new pro models. Good to know that iOS 11 seems to fix it. I've been waiting so far getting one of the new iPads until I hear this is solved.

• edited July 2017

Ahhh!
    It seems to be related to the specific apps I mentioned...
    I tried Garageband for one hour with many AUv3 and IAA apps, including Beathawk 2.x, and, voila! SUPERSMOOTH!!

Hmmm... It must be related to this screen refresh rate (120Mhz), and, Apple knows how to fix this!

Good to know...
    I'll try iOS 11 beta 3 now on my new iPad, and will return with the results...

• edited July 2017

sorry to say I get this issue with the public betas too. 10.5 iOS 11 beta 2. BeatMaker 3. after 10/15 minutes use latency and digital noise. needs investigation tho could’ve been an IAA or AU.

• My 12.9 arriving in a week. You guys are making me nervous ;-)

• some people were reporting audio latency issues specificly with headphones -- would definitely be good to know more about

• I'll be honest, my first thought when I heard about the variable frame rate feature in the new iPad pros was a big "uh oh". For my 2015 iPad, even just opening up YouTube app or a web browser mid- session can throw things off. I can only imagine the headache of sorting out issues related to iOS itself wanting to change frame rate constantly. I would love it if there were an iOS 11 setting that allowed the user to simply turn it off.

• @nick said:
    some people were reporting audio latency issues specificly with headphones -- would definitely be good to know more about

No, my problem with the new generation iPad it not a headphone specific problem...

But, as I wrote above, Garageband running smooth as hell with no latency (testing for one hour intense)...

I’m glad again that my iPad aint broken...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@nick said:
    some people were reporting audio latency issues specificly with headphones -- would definitely be good to know more about

No, my problem with the new generation iPad it not a headphone specific problem...

But, as I wrote above, Garageband running smooth as hell with no latency (testing for one hour intense)...

have you tried turning off 120 fps?

• @nick said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nick said:

have you tried turning off 120 fps?

Where are that option under 10.33?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@nick said:

Interesting. I switched to using GarageBand exclusively when around the time I got iPad Pro...so perhaps this is why thing seemed to clear up

• Same problem here with the 10.5 with BM3.

Audio corruption every ten minutes or that gradually fades away after 15 seconds, and increased latency on pads after some time of usage, which forces me to restart every time.

• I have the same issue with my 10.5. Initially, I thought it was related to the way analog headphones fit into the headphone jack and successfully exchanged my 10.5 for a new one. The problems haven't completely been addressed with the new model - even after buying new headphones.

Here are the symptoms:

• Upon inserting headphone plug into the analog jack, I would experience several pops... sometimes up to 5 or 6 (this isn't nearly as extreme now since exchanging for a new one)
    • Occasionally experience high UI latency and what sounds like bitrate degradation that gets more and more extreme
    • (with the first 10.5 I had) Occasionally experienced bitrate reduction accompanied by the iOS music app suddenly blasting a random song - weirdly from iCloud (since I didn't have any audio files synced to the device). This seemed to be related to jostling the headphone cord, and was way more sensitive with certain models of headphones than others (I tried about six pairs of headphones total). The only headphones where I wasn't able to reproduce the problem was my pair of lightning earbuds.

The new 10.5 is much better, but occasionally I do get the bitrate degradation with high latency UI.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the problem might somehow be related to headphone plugs not making firm enough contact with the jacks, triggering certain responses from the operating system such as starting music automatically. Apple said that they will study the model I returned and asked me if I would be willing to let the contact me if they had questions, which made me wonder if there was already an investigation underway.

Oh, and with this new model the "fix" for the bitrate degradation/UI latency is to unplug and replug the headphones. I'm curious to see if some of you who are having problems in this thread could also "fix" the issue by doing this.

• edited July 2017

@gleandibson I've been doing the replug thing as well to reset the bitrate/buffer issue. I think it's an widespread problem.

Do you have a headset with volume, track controls on the wire? That's what might be starting random songs.

• @LemurFlight said:
    @gleandibson I've been doing the replug thing as well to reset the bitrate/buffer issue. I think it's an widespread problem.

Do you have a headset with volume, track controls on the wire? That's what might be starting random songs.

No special headphone just now, only Koss Porta Pro (less hot on the summer)...

• @LemurFlight said:

No, but one of the headsets that was giving me that problem was a gaming headset that also plugs into a USB wire which does have those controls. When it's unplugged, it should just function as a regular analog headset I think. There was a microphone attached to it, though. Now you have me wondering if I could reproduce the random song thing on the new 10.5 with that headset.

• I thought it was just Kaspar doing this. Aw crap, lol. Well, like others, I hope iOS 11 fixes this.

• edited July 2017

new beta any moment, fingers crossed!

• Same problem with iPad Pro 10.5
    On BM3 , imashine , Cubasis..

• edited July 2017

@crifytosp said:
    sorry to say I get this issue with the public betas too. 10.5 iOS 11 beta 2. BeatMaker 3. after 10/15 minutes use latency and digital noise. needs investigation tho could’ve been an IAA or AU.

Add me to the list. Latency, and noise, after 10 or 15 minutes of consistent CPU processing.

I, too, am hoping this is a software issue.

10.5 here. At least we're in this together.

• Crackling after 8-10 mins on 12.9" pro (2017)

Nothing too heavy. AB3, AUM, MODSTEP. Just 4 synths.

• edited July 2017

Daaang glad I waited. I really hope this gets resolved tho I am wantin a 10.5 pro

• hope everyone’s reported this..

• edited July 2017

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Daaang glad I waited. I really hope this gets resolved tho I am wantin a 10.5 pro

Strange, but tonight I picked up my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) for a little test again with Beatmaker 3, and, all of a sudden it goes smooth as hell for one hour long and intense usage...?

Perhaps it has to do with the headphone jacket (doesn't believed that earlier today)...
    This times I started Beatmaker before I put in my headphones (sat outside our house in the sunset)...
    Can it be that?
    Someone here said that it could be fixed (the pad latency) just to unplug/replug the headphones...

I'll come back later and tell more...

Good night from Sweden!

• Yeah, I've also never had this issue while using the built in speakers.

• Never seen any audio or slow down issues with my Pro 10.5 and BM3 (or any other app). Strange.

• @Tarekith said:
    Never seen any audio or slow down issues with my Pro 10.5 and BM3 (or any other app). Strange.

What headphones do you use?

• Been getting this with my new 10.5
    I always use headphones
    Going to do some testing without

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Been getting this with my new 10.5
    I always use headphones
    Going to do some testing without

If it turns out the headphone jack is the cause I think I'll be skipping the pros. An iPad with no headphone jack is useless to me.