Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria not so pro

Comments

• @brambos said:

@Zen210507 said:

@brambos said:
    I don't know, I'm not Steinberg. But I can imagine that the business case for spending a lot of resources on an extra version for a really tiny target audience is not that interesting. Just guessing.

A lot of resources? Surely, with Cubasis already well established, and code already written for Cubase

Well.. it doesn't make that much difference if they already have the code sitting somewhere else. Apps don't write themselves, and GUIs don't design themselves. Neither do they test themselves and market themselves. A boatload of work goes into producing and supporting a fully featured app like Cubasis. And Steinberg have quite a broad product portfolio so they can't spread their team too thin.

But anyway.. it's all conjecture because I don't know the inside details.

Fair.

• My main gripe is I like twin 2 so I don't really expect to have to write my midi in another app to use it but writing midi in auria is a chore due to strange behaviour. eg I want to repeat a midi region and when i copy and paste it the pasted region the notes are all in the wrong place, the region appears the correct length but starts halfway through and the end has no notes and it's not snapped to grid so I have to drag the start out to reveal the beginning and then zoom right in and realign the notes to the grid. This happens if I paste it where I want it, on another track or away from anything so there's space around it..

• The bottom track above is just the same region copy and pasted..

• @Extnctn6 said:
    The bottom track above is just the same region copy and pasted..

Yup, there is definitely some nasty bugs with copying midi. I'd probably use something like ChordFlow or SPA in that case

• @jn2002dk said:

@Extnctn6 said:
    The bottom track above is just the same region copy and pasted..

Yup, there is definitely some nasty bugs with copying midi. I'd probably use something like ChordFlow or SPA in that case

Thanks mate I'll look into them.

Trouble I have is I often use tempo changes in my tracks which cubasis can't accommodate.

My workflow I use drum perfect pro (can't recommend it enough) to get my drums and keep importing it as one track and modify delete reimport ect and write my midi bass and synths ect whikst jamming along on my guitar and constantly adjusting and editing it until the bulk of the song is in and then I'll go back over it and import the separate drum tracks and get recording guitar and vocals and mixing ect.. but to do this in another app in individual one tempo sections (if that makes sense?) kills my vibe as I need to play the song through as I'm working on it to get a good feel of sections working together. Anyone got any tips for this workflow I'm keen to hear em yo

Cheers for all the input

• Why copy and paste intead of loop the region? Another thing: are you copying the region to a section where the tempo is changed? there's a third bug with MIDI in Auria, where the notes won't keep snapped to the grid when you change the song's tempo...

• I didn't know you could loop a midi region in auria, I did look for this a while ago.. This could be where its all going wrong then? Would you mind explaining how please? I'd still need to then cut it and move it but it may be my solution..

As for copying to where there's a different tempo that's definitely not the case I'm merely repeating a chorus or verse from earlier in the song but I've checked the tempo track is correct several times for this.

Thanks

• To loop a region, MIDI or otherwise, you zoom vertically so a semicircular handle will appear at the end of the region. You then just extend the loop to where you want, just like you would do with Garageband iOS.

Another thing: you should report here: http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20 The most people report this, the more chances we have it will be sorted out. As I said before, I am a huge fan of Auria's piano roll, and would be very cool if it was stable. People are saying good things about Cubasis' MIDI editing, but let's not forget it was just a year ago it became good - zooming used to be a huge PITA, and there was for years a nasty bug where hitting UNDO would potentially destroy your Cubasis project. Feedback helps developers to get things right. Good luck!

• @theconnactic thanks I appreciate the advice :-) I posted this on the auria forum yesterday before I started this thread and I also did when I first started using auria several months ago before my hiatus from it. I was hoping these issues would have been sorted as there has been an update since then.

I appreciate the app excels at mixing but I feel these are very basic functions that are letting it down. I'm surprised to be honest as fab filter twin 2 can only be used in auria on iOS so either not many people are using it, they're all struggling to sequence it and not saying much or I'm doing something wrong..

I'll try your loop region advice after work mate and let you know how I get on but I'm still going to have to cut it and move it to a different section in the song..

• @JRSIV said:

@Shazamm said:
    Auria pro is more like pro tools. Most people just track mix in pro tools most people make there beat in another program because its not for making beats as fluid as other software. Auria is kind of the same beats great for mixing and tracking but workflow is not as fluid in making the music in app

Exactly. @Shazamm has said it previously, @theconnactic Dmitri too, I have several times: To understand iOS DAW's it's sometimes necessary to compare them to desktop DAW's as a real world illustration.

Auria Pro is exactly like Pro Tools innthatvit excels at mixing and audio recording. It does MIDI, you can make beats with it if your that type of producer but there are easier tools to do the job. It's also genre based, like it or not. I write a lot of pop/rock stuff, drums, bass, guitars, vocals and SOMETIMES MIDI/synths/keys, etc. Auria Pro really complements that type of stuff.

Cubasis is very much like Logic & Cubase in that while it can record audio and you could make any type of music with it, it's MIDI functionality and less fussy UI make beats or MIDI tracks easier to craft.

BeatMaker 3 has sort of assumed the iOS version of Ableton Live, a strong MIDI influence and ease of use for beats, hip hop, etc.

Of course cats make complete tracks with Blocs, iMaschine, Beathawk, Groovebox,etc. There are several I'm missing, but to me taking the stereo export mix from any of those to Auria to be mastered is a professional workflow yielding pro results.

Or export individual tracks from Cubasis, BM3, etc into Auria for mixing & mastering. Again, sounds like a lot of work, but it really isnt and truly, it will bring dividends to those who try it.

There's more than one way to do damn near anything, so these are just the goal posts in my head, many just record jams into AudioShare and call it a day. Whatever works. But if something isn't working for you, don't blame the tool, especially if there are as many laying around as there are here in this yard....

I couldn't have said it better

• @Extnctn6 said:
    @theconnactic thanks I appreciate the advice :-) I posted this on the auria forum yesterday before I started this thread and I also did when I first started using auria several months ago before my hiatus from it. I was hoping these issues would have been sorted as there has been an update since then.

I appreciate the app excels at mixing but I feel these are very basic functions that are letting it down. I'm surprised to be honest as fab filter twin 2 can only be used in auria on iOS so either not many people are using it, they're all struggling to sequence it and not saying much or I'm doing something wrong..

I'll try your loop region advice after work mate and let you know how I get on but I'm still going to have to cut it and move it to a different section in the song..

When you post, share the link, I’ll comment in your thread to reinforce it.

• edited July 2017

Re: midi piano roll, considering it (for me) as the most inspiring and musical of the whole bunch ... (plus midi fx).

• I see you posted in it already @theconnactic thanks for that if anyone else is interested here's the link:
    http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15286&sid=2215dac4d5266f322d89bfecdd599b3c

I'm just in from work absolutely plastered in oil and grease so gonna get cleaned up and then spend a couple of hours trying the suggestions people have made. Thanks very much for everyone's input

• Let’s post! The more we get vocal, the more likely it will get sorted. Auria is already packed with most features anyone need for production, what we really need now is a stable environment.

• Yeah agreed mate!

So I've just started a new project for testing purposes, I've programmed a simple I IV V I monophonic melody/progression with Lyra piano 120bpm and tried looping it and it works fine.

Then I tried to cut and paste it and it worked fine.

Next I made one bar a different tempo and then back to 120bpm and cut and pasted it to the second instance of 120 bpm and it worked fine.

Then I created a second track with a twin 2 bass preset, pasted the melody onto it and tried all of the above and all ok.

Next I tried to glue two midi regions together on a section of track without a tempo change and the notes shifted in the second half.

Finally I tried to change the key by selecting all notes and moving them and no problems at all.

( I should add if you look at my Auria forum posts you'll see I've been having other midi problems which I haven't yet mentioned in this thread but these tests should cover them. They are, changing key etc and generally moving notes -the notes change length and position, when glueing regions the notes get shifted. )

So I've not been able to reproduce all the issues on a basic project which is kind of frustrating but I guess good for the majority of people who obviously aren't having these issues.

If I go back to the project I'm currently working on I can reproduce these faults most times but not every time.

Also I'm not using any chords, my midi tracks are all monophonic bass lines so I don't think that's an issue.

Tracks in my current project are 3 bass tracks, two using twin2 and one Lyra and all bussed together, jamup pro, drumperfect pro (imported audio not instrument) and a vocal track. Plug ins I'm using are pro q2, old timer and the normal channel strip. I'm on iPad Pro 9.7 fully updated.

I'll post a link to this thread in the Auria thread and I'll copy this post as well. If the other people having issues fancy chiming in over there that would be helpful.

Cheers

• Thank you for this test, it confirmed my suspicions about the tempo changes being somewhat related to MIDI grid bugs.

• @Extnctn6 after reading this I remember my frustration of Midi editing in AP. One thing I think might be useful to know (It has been reported on the AP forum someone and Im pretty sure its the case for me) is that when you select midi notes in one track then close the piano roll they remain selected. If you then select more notes in another track and move them the original ones move also.
    Sooo a workaround. Remember to deselect notes and CCs before leaving the piano roll to avoid this weirdness/advanced feature!
    Hope that helps

• thanks for the input. I'm not sure that's the case here but it's definitely worth bearing in mind!

• edited July 2017

I used AP for a while, but gave up and went back to laptop. Some bugs I reported never were fixed so I think they can't figure it out. That killed any way on an iPad for the orchestral music I was trying to make. I hope the bugs get fixed. It's a good DAW for iOS.

Some of my troubles, so you know some issues I ran into:
    http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14957

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14952

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14888

Since using PC, I've had no issues making orchestral music. Unfortunate, I had hopes for using an iPad.

• @Extnctn6 said:
    Anyone else find editing midi in Auria pro to be a total abomination? Sick to death with it, notes changing length and position, can't paste or duplicate a region without it moving the notes around etc. What's the point in them having the nice fab filter synths if you can't even program a few notes without it going to shit? Raaaaaaaa!

I had the same problem with Auria Pro, but if you got the Apple Pencil, it's a lot easier.
    Cubasis is a bit better, but I write my midi in Notion, and export it to Auria.
    I find writing with traditional notation the best workflow for making any kind of music...
    It's speedy, and you don't need any instrument or sound. Just an Apple Pencil.

• @Kühl said:

@Extnctn6 said:
    Anyone else find editing midi in Auria pro to be a total abomination? Sick to death with it, notes changing length and position, can't paste or duplicate a region without it moving the notes around etc. What's the point in them having the nice fab filter synths if you can't even program a few notes without it going to shit? Raaaaaaaa!

I had the same problem with Auria Pro, but if you got the Apple Pencil, it's a lot easier.
    I find writing with traditional notation the best workflow for making any kind of music...

Interesting!

• @Kühl said:

@Extnctn6 said:

Interesting!

• @Jmcmillan said:
    I used AP for a while, but gave up and went back to laptop. Some bugs I reported never were fixed so I think they can't figure it out. That killed any way on an iPad for the orchestral music I was trying to make. I hope the bugs get fixed. It's a good DAW for iOS.

Some of my troubles, so you know some issues I ran into:
    http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14957

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14952

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14888

Since using PC, I've had no issues making orchestral music. Unfortunate, I had hopes for using an iPad.

I moved over from pc as well mate, my laptop packed up so I thought I jump on the ios bandwagon and I gotta admit I do regret it. Ios has a fair way to go to catch up with pc in my opinion

• Yah, I switched back to PC. Just couldn't make iPad work for what I wanted to do. It works well for others! I've listened to tracks on this forum and other forums and have heard some good tunes. But I gave up. PC so far i have far less issues.

• I cannot bear Windows, but I do use macOS and Logic at home. I just found the iPad mobility/performance ratio unsurpassed, and the pro plug-ins price inside auria is too cheap to pass. If I got a MacBook now, I’d probably use Auria and the FabFilters/PSPs to master my tracks.

• I feel like Auria just slows down the process when it comes to midi, and I REALLY dont like that fact that it doesnt have manual punching in.... I really hate that if you hit record while a song is playing it just stops the track instead of going into record mode. I dont need auto punching all of the time... sometime i want to punch in on the fly, like you can do in literally every other DAW.

• Have to say that although I bought Auria and then Auria Pro as soon as they were available, I'm getting very tired of the lack of support from WaveMachine Labs in quashing the bugs and adding features that have been asked for again and again by loyal users.

• @sch said:
    Have to say that although I bought Auria and then Auria Pro as soon as they were available, I'm getting very tired of the lack of support from WaveMachine Labs in quashing the bugs and adding features that have been asked for again and again by loyal users.

Unfortunately I think that is the way with a somewhat significant portion of apps. Not to re-re-re-re-open a can of worms but enthusiasm often fades without sustainable income. I love the low prices on ios too, and I would have never finished mixing our first shutterwax album without auria, but once I got my 2011 macbook air (used for $400), I went back to reaper and mixbus and its just as portable and convenient. I am really testing the processor with mixbus but am able to scrape by enough with mixes.

I still use ios and i do like auria (and barely do any midi), but it's a much smaller part of my workflow now. Honestly garageband is my most used music app these days besides remote controllers for live mixers. On our shutterwax sessions last week, we used garageband on Mac for all of our writing and I realized I should open that more - it was fairly easy to open a project from ios garageband into the Mac version using ifunbox, and there's some pretty deep stuff in GB, especially with the drummers, that's great for writing songs.

Anyway, I think it's important to acknowledge that auria went WAY beyond what apple ever envisioned for iPad and apps like auria probably spurred on development of things like iPad pro. I love touchscreen but until ios gets a file system like mac os it can't ever be my only music making device.

Hey, hand me that pile of worms, would you? Somehow they spilled all over the floor...

• Thing is with sustainable income though is ive paid for auria pro, multiple psp and fabfilter plugins, jam up pro, most of the twin 2 preset packs so they've had a reasonable wedge from me and it seems most other people on here are buying at least some of these iap's as well so they must be getting some income from it. It's billed as the only daw on iOS to compete with pc so I just can't understand why they don't seem interested in fixing these really basic midi issues..

I've started two threads on the auria forum

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14909&hilit=Constantly+crashing

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15286

Not had a single response from wave machine labs. These threads are months apart so they must have seen them. I've also filled out countless crash reports and taken the time to include as much helpful info as I can in them so surely I must at least deserve a response.

Starting to get fed up with it now. I was quite naive when I moved over to iOS. My laptop packed up so I sold some of my hardware electribe2 ect and bought
    An iPad Pro after reading the reviews of auria ect and I had no idea they were still basically testing it on they're consumers.. live and learn I guess. Just wanna make music not spend all my time on forums, filling out crash reports, trouble shooting and generally pulling my hair out

• Just FYI WaveMachineLabs don't make any money at all from the plugins - it all goes to the plugin devs. Not saying that justifies the bugs, it doesn't, but I would imagine that the revenues from Auria Pro sales are going to be relatively small and this is a company with at least 2 employees to pay as well as Rim. I'm assuming they make a lot more revenue from Drumagog on the desktop than they do from Auria.

I'm grateful that they took a punt on making a desktop-class DAW for iOS all those years ago. But as we all know iOS is a very challenging market for music apps. Auria is probably one of the more successful ones. Also in my experience as a beta tester for desktop software, every complex app in existence has multiple bugs that often take a long time to get fixed. It's frustrating, but every application has its share of issues and shortcomings compared to the competition.