Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer UMC 1820 works great with iPad mini 4

I setup my new Behringer UMC 1820 with the iPad mini 4 last night. I got it to replace the Roland UA-22 + USB Streamer combo that I was using with my Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6. Since both the UA-22 and USB Streamer are audio interfaces, I couldn't use them both at the same time. The UMC 1820 is like having both the UA-22 and USB Streamer combined with many more inputs/outputs. With all these channels I can use AUM to apply different effects to each of my hardware synths plus have the ES-3/ES-6 for sending/receiving DC-coupled CV (or audio) to and from my Eurorack modular using the ADAT connections. The only issue I had setting it up was that I didn't realize it doesn't override the iPad's audio so I wasn't getting any sound from the unit until I cranked up the iPad volume. This was a bit strange, since all the other audio interfaces I've used disable the iPad's volume buttons.

Comments

• I have the 204 and I love it. It is a little wierd about the iPad volume having to be up, but it remembers where the volume is set so it's not a big deal. Really amazing interfaces, especially for so little money. Haven't missed my Apogee one bit.

• So it's been three weeks since I got the Behringer UMC 1820. It was working beautifully up until a few days ago when out of the blue, all audio input levels dropped to -78dB. At first, I thought it was an iOS issue, so I did a hard reset, but that didn't fix it. Then, I got out my Roland UA-22 and the audio input levels on that unit were fine. So I returned it and got a new one. It's just so odd that everything else worked fine except for the audio inputs. Even the direct mode which sends the inputs to the main out worked fine. Only the inputs coming into the host stopped working. Well, hopefully this new one will not have the same issue. Besides that, I'm loving this device. It has all the features I wanted in an iOS audio interface.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• Hi, is it working again? I have the UMC 1820 and would like to use it with AUM but before buying the app I'd like to know if it is stable. It is not stable with audiobus at all. Thanks.

• @chisel316 said:
    So it's been three weeks since I got the Behringer UMC 1820. It was working beautifully up until a few days ago when out of the blue, all audio input levels dropped to -78dB. At first, I thought it was an iOS issue, so I did a hard reset, but that didn't fix it. Then, I got out my Roland UA-22 and the audio input levels on that unit were fine. So I returned it and got a new one. It's just so odd that everything else worked fine except for the audio inputs. Even the direct mode which sends the inputs to the main out worked fine. Only the inputs coming into the host stopped working. Well, hopefully this new one will not have the same issue. Besides that, I'm loving this device. It has all the features I wanted in an iOS audio interface.

Peace \/
    chisel316

I had a similar experience where input levels dropped. I fixed it by going into AudioShare where I was able to turn the input level back up to 100%, it had been lowered to 75%. In my case it seemed to be Amplitube that was changing the input level. It hasn't happened since.

• edited August 2017

So it works well with AUM? I am not having a lot of success with Audiobus and MiMix to send the output to the different outputs in the UMC 1820. Sometimes it simply drops out.

Does the routing work well with AUM and is it stable? I would like to use it to send individual outs from my MPC to AUM, apply compressors, filters, etc, and even maybe record individual tracks into AudioShare....

• edited August 2017

@chisel316 said:
    With all these channels I can use AUM to apply different effects to each of my hardware synths plus have the ES-3/ES-6 for sending/receiving DC-coupled CV (or audio) to and from my Eurorack modular using the ADAT connections.

wow..DC coupled, wonder if the 404HD is also.

• @Matthew said:

@chisel316 said:
    So it's been three weeks since I got the Behringer UMC 1820. It was working beautifully up until a few days ago when out of the blue, all audio input levels dropped to -78dB. At first, I thought it was an iOS issue, so I did a hard reset, but that didn't fix it. Then, I got out my Roland UA-22 and the audio input levels on that unit were fine. So I returned it and got a new one. It's just so odd that everything else worked fine except for the audio inputs. Even the direct mode which sends the inputs to the main out worked fine. Only the inputs coming into the host stopped working. Well, hopefully this new one will not have the same issue. Besides that, I'm loving this device. It has all the features I wanted in an iOS audio interface.

Peace \/
    chisel316

I had a similar experience where input levels dropped. I fixed it by going into AudioShare where I was able to turn the input level back up to 100%, it had been lowered to 75%. In my case it seemed to be Amplitube that was changing the input level. It hasn't happened since.

@Matthew Thank you so much! My input level was set to 46%! I cranked it back up to 100% and all is good now.

Thank you so much for your reply. You saved from returning this unit. I had a feeling it was software related, but couldn't figure out where to set the input level.

@Helder It works fantastic with AUM. It's my staple iOS app. It's always running!

@chris_foster The UMC 1820 isn't DC-coupled. It has ADAT in/out that I'm connecting to DC-coupled Eurorack modules (Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6).

Peace \/
    chisel316

• "@Helder It works fantastic with AUM. It's my staple iOS app. It's always running!"

Thanks for letting me know. If indeed there are no dropouts or crashes then it is a dream come true! Thank you for replying.

• I am using ipad air 2 and also have a umc 1820. My question for users with the same setup: will it handle live external audio coming in from all 8 intputs in the inerface into aum, being mixed and processed by internal (aum) and external fx apps in aum, and then recorded into seperate tracks still in aum? Or an iPad Air won't be able to handle this? Can it handle plus a few other tracks of ipad apps or is it pushing it?

• @Helder said:
    "@Helder It works fantastic with AUM. It's my staple iOS app. It's always running!"

Thanks for letting me know. If indeed there are no dropouts or crashes then it is a dream come true! Thank you for replying.

You're welcome. I've been using the UMC 1820 with AUM since the end of June with no issues. It sees all the inputs of the UMC 1820. I have effect sends on every channel.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• @Helder said:
    I am using ipad air 2 and also have a umc 1820. My question for users with the same setup: will it handle live external audio coming in from all 8 intputs in the inerface into aum, being mixed and processed by internal (aum) and external fx apps in aum, and then recorded into seperate tracks still in aum? Or an iPad Air won't be able to handle this? Can it handle plus a few other tracks of ipad apps or is it pushing it?

I don't have this device but assume it's just class compliant like many others and doesn't come with IOS control software.
    According to my experience with another 'just class compliant' interface it will only work to some degree, in particular Adat can slip into digital mess.
    (of course a bit of guessing because results may vary with chipsets)
    At least you seem to have a constant factor with AUM as your main app (to keep it controlled), instead of switching lots of apps directly.
    In my case I didn't succeed to capture roundtrips to/from external gear: there were sync problems and not latency compensation available under IOS.

• @Telefunky thanks, I was thinking about latency also. AUM seems to take into account the reported interface latency but I agree the iPad must not be the most accurate device for this kind of thing unfortunately.

• Reported is nice, but measured is better o:)
    I don't think this situation will remain too much longer - it's a really simple plugin with almost no load to compensate such stuff.
    A bit strange that it has been overlooked for so long, but shit happens.
    I've been through the same on another system years ago. Plugin developers missed the fact that processing might be shifted to a different DSP section - hence adding some 5 samples offset - a killer for stereo plugins ;)

• Are people still happy with this device ? Is it working well with Cubasis and/or Auria ?

• Thinking of replacing my umc 404 with one of these

• Love it! I have a ADA8000 connected to it through ADAT giving me 16 channels of input for all my gear.

• @chisel316 said:
    Love it! I have a ADA8000 connected to it through ADAT giving me 16 channels of input for all my gear.

Is the ADA8000 connected to the UMC1820 and all channel inputs and outs available in iOS, I’m going to be getting the ADA8200 very soon if this works in iOS. Thanks in advance.

• @knewspeak said:

@chisel316 said:
    Love it! I have a ADA8000 connected to it through ADAT giving me 16 channels of input for all my gear.

Is the ADA8000 connected to the UMC1820 and all channel inputs and outs available in iOS, I’m going to be getting the ADA8200 very soon if this works in iOS. Thanks in advance.

Yes. It connects through ADAT and all 16 channels are available in iOS. You can hear it in action here:

• Hey all! I'm still happily using the UMC 1820 with my iPad mini 4. I'm posting here because I just found out that GarageBand requires iOS 13 or greater and I'm still on 12. Is anyone here using the UMC 1820 with iOS 13? I really don't want to take the chance upgrading in fear of losing support. I can do without GarageBand. Thanks!

• @chisel316 said:
    Hey all! I'm still happily using the UMC 1820 with my iPad mini 4. I'm posting here because I just found out that GarageBand requires iOS 13 or greater and I'm still on 12. Is anyone here using the UMC 1820 with iOS 13? I really don't want to take the chance upgrading in fear of losing support. I can do without GarageBand. Thanks!

I’ve tested with Cubasis and all is fine with the latest version of iOS 13.

• @chisel316 said:

@knewspeak said:

@chisel316 said:

Yes. It connects through ADAT and all 16 channels are available in iOS. You can hear it in action here:

Cool channel, I subscribed.
    Just wondering if you ever experience ground hum noise recording the boutiques powered by USB? I’ve had some pretty loud interference when recording two boutiques, mains power to USB of the synths, iPad CCK and umc1820. I pretty much have to put the noise reduction app in every live input.
    Any tips for a clean recording?
    Cheers

• edited January 2020

@no1normal Thanks for the sub! I use these adapters to remove the noise:

Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019393MV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

@knewspeak Thanks for the reply!

• I'm not having the success others have described with UMC1820 and the ipad -I'm using an ipadPro and AUM.

AUM does "show" Behringer's inputs and outputs, but with AUM's output choice set to Behringer's USB 1&2 the actual output never really get's to Behringer's headphones. (the option to use the ipad's headphones, which is present with other interfaces like the Apogee, disappears and is unavailable in AUM when I plug the Behringer in.

If I use AUM file player to play a wave file, or a synth, a drum machine etc. with the AUM output "showing" it is going to Behringer USB 1&2, I can't hear that wave file playing on the Behringer from it's phone jack at all.

I have a guitar into instrument input in Behringer's channel 1 and can hear the dry guitar in the Behringer headphones. BUT if I set Behringer's channel 1 as an input in AUM, and route it through an effect like a delay etcl, and with AUM's output set to Behringer's USB 1&2, you can never hear the effect being applied, just the dry signal.

The weird thing is, just looking at AUM it "looks like" it is working -when playing the guitar the input signal shows up in the level meter in AUM. The problem seems to be with the output from AUM not "actually" returning to the Behringer for listening even though AUM says it is outputing to Behringer's USB 1&2.

I can't see anything else to set either on the Behringer unit or in AUM to get this to work right. Anyone have an idea?

Unlike all my other interfaces, like Apogee and others which work fine in the ipad and AUM I cannot get the Behringer to do anything useful in the ipad at all. I did check with Behringer and Sweetwater and forums like this one to make sure the unit was class compliant (therefore works with ipads) before obtaining one, but no luck so far.

Any ideas of how to get this working as advertised would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

• edited May 2020

Headphones 1-2 may be monitoring only the source. Have you tried 3-4?
    Edit: Or turn Monitoring knob all the way to PB 1-2?

• Yep. It’s the monitoring knob.

• The other pitfall with Behringer interfaces is that the master volume is still controlled by the iPad...

Had a long evening before I realised that!

• @uncledave said:
    Headphones 1-2 may be monitoring only the source. Have you tried 3-4?
    Edit: Or turn Monitoring knob all the way to PB 1-2?

No sound from the ipad Pro with either the Headphone 1-2 or the 3-4 setting.
    Mix Monitoring knob all the way to PB 1-2 is dead silent.
    Thanks for trying!

This expensive massive paper weight sadly remains as useful with my ipadPro as a glass of spit...

@no1normal said:
    The other pitfall with Behringer interfaces is that the master volume is still controlled by the iPad...

Had a long evening before I realised that!

My ipad Master volume remains turned up to about 3/4 (to no avail).

At least I have the Apogee and an early Griffin Studio Connect that work great, but alas I was really looking forward to being able to the extra channels of the Behringer (which is why I purchased it). Too bad, looks like it's an expensive fail for me.

Thanks for trying guys; if anyone has any other ideas please pass them along!

• From your description, you're always (and only) hearing the source input, never the computer output. Seems as if the Monitoring knob is not working. Could it be faulty, possibly not connected to the circuits? May be time to invoke your warranty.

• edited May 2020

@UrbanNinja I have the UMC404 but I have encountered similar problems. Sometimes AUM reports that the USB 1&2 are connected but no sound is produced. Sometimes the interface is not detected in the first place. My 'solution': I frequently have to pull the power chord from the Behringer in order to have it register in in AUM (else only the headphone/IPads mic in is registered, producing horrible feedback loops when loading a former project). I tried different USB-C hubs (Behringer seems to dislike USB3 ports in my hub), and plugging in- and unplugging the dongle and/or the power chord of the interface seems to do the trick both with being detected and actually sending processed output. I'm actually also looking for a different device with more inputs (4 is no longer enough) but seeing that the 1820 produces similar problems makes me wonder. I know that my solution is somewhat strange ("have you tried switching it on and off ...") but it works on my side.
    @no1normal I thought that this was the general problem with USB-C dongles overriding the master volume of the IPad (tried it with an Irig HD2, same problem). Which interface does not have this problem? I need to use TubeAU when I would just like to have my guitar and my synths up in AUM in the background, opening the regular youtube app but controlling its volume without lowering the volume on everything. Advice is greatly appreciated.

• So, am I right in thinking that with one of these, an iPad will access all the ins and outs, and be able to send/receive both on the analogue and digital channels at once? I’m thinking it might be the perfect Push 3 companion and maybe even eliminate the ICA4x in my setup…