Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 3 IAP Discussion Thread

edited July 2017 in General App Discussion

Post your thoughts and questions about Beatmaker 3's IAPs here, including: reviews, sound examples, etc.

I have not bought any yet, but was eyeing the Vintage Drums, so I'd be interested in hearing about that one and others as well.

Comments

• Went ahead and got the Vintage Drums, pretty standard fare, and honestly it feels a little light for $5. You get 4 kits. HR-16 has 34 samples, DDD-1 has 20, ASR-Machine has 60, and ASR-90s has 44.

None of the kits particularly stand out. The volume on ASR-90 is also noticeably lower than the other three.

Total download size is roughly 20MB.

I'd say, save your money, even if it's just $5. There's a lot more value you can get elsewhere on the AppStore.

• The conundrum with BM3's IAPs is that it's so easy to sample other apps... and I've already spent so much on the IAPs of those other apps.

• I bought the Matrix Eighty IAP. It's ok, maybe only 12-15 presets that all sound kinda similar. All of them are drenched in reverb and delay too. Has that sort of Oberheim vibe, but they're all set up as short little stabs requiring some work to really use I found. For $1.99 or $2.99 I could maybe recommend it, but it seems a bit much for what you get.

I also thought the freebie IAP was a bit light on content too. I like that they didn't force a huge download on us, but I kinda wish there were more sounds available as free IAP for those that want them. That's one area where I find MPCs and Maschine tend to have an edge over BM3, they give you a lot more high quality content to start with.

Not a huge deal as I have a sample library all ready transfered to BM3, but I do tend to prefer sticking with built in sounds when possible.

• I'll be blunt. Their IAP suck. It's better to buy sample packs from F9 Audio, loopmasters etc then import into Bm3. Making instruments is so easy so all you really need to make good multisampled instruments is a bunch of good multi samples. I highly recommend the F9 audio stuff. :)

• IAP sound packs in any app are people too lazy to create their own.

• Or as someone posted in another thread. insert Beathawk as an AU

• edited July 2017

I tested the ones fast that were on beta and really liked them. Usually i dont like what comes from sound banks or synth presets. Now that the full version came, i bought the mark2, solina and the epic stabs whatever. I think they were worth the money.

• Actually I was kind of surprised at how little stock sounds came with BM3 vs BM2, I thought BM3 would be better ut we got a lot more drums kits in BM2. I like BM3 a lot but I thought a better library would come with it. Not a deal breaker since I have tons of samples already but still, even IMPC pro has a lot more to offer as far as stock sounds go.

• At first, I got 2 iAPs... The grand piano and the uptight bass... It costed me almost the same price as the app for both of them... But the sound/keys were so bad and low, and polyphony was so messed up, that I already asked for a refund...
    This experience made me really mad and I was very pissed about Intua and the app during the first few hours after release... I know iAPs are optional, but selling such crappy ones may have a bad impact on the way people see the app itself IMO

PS: if this is not clear above, I completly love the app, I'm addicted to it and can't stop using it since I got it.

• @Strizbiz said:
    Actually I was kind of surprised at how little stock sounds came with BM3 vs BM2, I thought BM3 would be better ut we got a lot more drums kits in BM2. I like BM3 a lot but I thought a better library would come with it. Not a deal breaker since I have tons of samples already but still, even IMPC pro has a lot more to offer as far as stock sounds go.

I remember clearly many complaints about BM2 by people who didn't like that it took so much space, and resenting all the content they didn't want or need. I'm guessing this is a positive response to all that. I certainly agree with that approach. Also, once you include content, you can't really take it away again either, so better to start small.

Maybe they'll release more free or lower cost IAP packs down the road. I'm sure people's feedback isn't going unnoticed.

• With the free IAP BM3 only takes up 309mb on my iPad. I really appreciate that approach, since I bought it to work with my own synths and samples and am low on free space. And I never use the 'Yo, wassup!' samples anyway.

• Good IAPs and soundpacks can really augment an app, even give it it's own character. iMaschine 2 has some nice IAPs, and Patterning's soundpacks give it a unique flavor.

• edited July 2017

@1P18 said:
    Good IAPs and soundpacks can really augment an app, even give it it's own character. iMaschine 2 has some nice IAPs, and Patterning's soundpacks give it a unique flavor.

True, I really like the iMaschine sounds, so might try and grab a few across, some can be awful and/or overly generic though.

Good sample management is the key, so we can delete the chaff, and BM3 seems to have this covered in a user-friendly Audioshare style.

• Love BM3. I’d just rather not invest in IAP’s that work in only one host.

• The IAP sucks big time and from reading these comments i wasnt wrong whem i thought so

• edited July 2017

Conundrum, when you make a sampler that is so good that all of your IAP's are worthless.

• edited July 2017

@philowerx said:
    IAP sound packs in any app are people too lazy to create their own.

Bollocks. ;) I create my own, but also make use of professionally made sounds. If I did absolutely everything myself, it'd take up way too much time and probably not sound as good!

For me, any use of samples is not so much about where they originate, as how they are put together and what the end results sound like.

• @Tritonman said:
    Conundrum, when you make a sampler that is so good that all of your IAP's are worthless.

They could be less worthless if of good quality...
    The fact is that when you use them they do not sound like the demos on the iAP store at all...
    IMO, releasing such crappy iAPs with such high prices and with false advertising is not positive for the app itself... At least, for me, it had a very negative impact, and I had to wait until my refund on IAPs is confirmed before really enjoying the app (which is really wonderful) itself...

• I want my iaps from bm2. There has to be some way to transfer that over to bm3?

• @stormywaterz said:
    I want my iaps from bm2. There has to be some way to transfer that over to bm3?

Sampling.... ;)

• I feel like my time is better spent making my own synth samples both for drums and melodic stuff. But I don't have a set of Ludwig drums, so I got that. Sounds good to my ears. Nice acoustic, rattly flavor - none of that overbearing arena rock sound.

I accidentally bought the vintage drums, thinking they were also acoustic drums (ha, ha), but I'm ok with it. The HR-16 does have the sound that I remember in the Alesis. Usable on the whole.

• @Cib said:

@stormywaterz said:

Sampling.... ;)

I know but restoring purchases is easy to and should be an option.

• edited July 2017

@stormywaterz said:

@Cib said:

@stormywaterz said:

Sampling.... ;)

I know but restoring purchases is easy to and should be an option.

If you have a device with out of date iOS (in my case iPad 1, iOS 5.x) you can strip what you want from iMaschine (1st version, which loads all the IAPs), as well as BM2 (content that shipped with it along with IAP packs.)

I haven't checked lately but your purchases in BM2 had always been available in iTunes or iFunbox or iMagic (Intua didn't sandbox the stuff you buy, just the stuff that shipped with the app. iMaschine sandboxes it all, hence the old device/old iOS method)

I've done this to collect material from iSequence, Electrify, miniDrum, iMPC, that Guetta app, iSynPoly, DrumJam, TriqTraq, NanoStudio, etc etc.

All this fun may end soon given your old 32bit apps are disappearing from AppStore, so load up that old device and dig in

• I got all the maschine packs and other stuff. I just figured they promoted those packs so much and they have better sounds then the ones they released for bm3 why not make it a restore purchase for the update. I'm gonna try this weekend to pull the sound packs from bm2.

• @philowerx said:
    IAP sound packs in any app are people too lazy to create their own.

lol. "I'm a part of a small niche community but I'm still going to find a way to be elitist about it"

• It would be nice if someone who has the time could put up a tutorial on how to sample other apps and organise the files in a useful way.. I know that @Samu has a method of extracting files from an ipa on mac or pc.

• @stormywaterz said:
    I got all the maschine packs and other stuff. I just figured they promoted those packs so much and they have better sounds then the ones they released for bm3 why not make it a restore purchase for the update. I'm gonna try this weekend to pull the sound packs from bm2.

How are you using iMaschine sounds in bm3. Are you sampling them in using iMaschine as an IAA?

• edited July 2017

@pink_sky said:
    lol. "I'm a part of a small niche community but I'm still going to find a way to be elitist about it"

lol!

• @Sbee said:
    It would be nice if someone who has the time could put up a tutorial on how to sample other apps and organise the files in a useful way.. I know that @Samu has a method of extracting files from an ipa on mac or pc.

I'm recording Komplete stuff straight into an audio track on Live (lite), sticking it into Dropbox and then tidying it up in BM3

• edited July 2017

@Sbee said:
    It would be nice if someone who has the time could put up a tutorial on how to sample other apps and organise the files in a useful way.. I know that @Samu has a method of extracting files from an ipa on mac or pc.

If you are copying a lot of samples to your iPad, it's much easier to do any tagging on the desktop. I use a batch processor (Myriad) to add the category, sub category and, if you don't mind rummaging around in the database to set them up, your own custom pack names. The tags are stored in the 'Comments' field in the WAV file metadata, in the following format:

'Category=Bass, Library=Deep Dark Techno, SubCategory=Bass Loops'

However, it seems like the sub category stuff is not quite working as it should yet, even with the IAPs. Anyway, tagging on the desktop is much easier than using BM3.

bm3.png 207.7K