Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 - using the pads in keys mode.

Apologies for starting yet another BM3 thread but this is a pretty specific question.

Is it possible to change the configuration of the Pads in Keys mode?

I really like being able to play notes with the pads rather than they keyboard. To me this makes much better use of the touch screen interface. However I'm used to a Linnstument/Geoshred layout where the grid of notes is arranged as
(i) going up by a semitone each time you move one place to the right on the X axis Like BeatMaker 3)
(ii) Going up by a perfect 4th each time you move up by one place on the Y axis (not like BeatMaker 3 which appears to go up by an augmented 5th on the Y axis).

The Linnstument/Geoshred layout is generally pretty much accepted as optimal for square tessellations. See for example http://smcnetwork.org/system/files/smc2011_submission_169.pdf which states "Of the square tessellation, we easily conclude that intervals of perfect fourths in the vertical axis and semi-tones in the horizontal axis provides the most advantageous approach to constructing and performing melody."

As far as I can tell, this is not configurable in BM3 unless I load 64 instances of the same AU synth and then set the note for each pad individually, which is impractical as I'd need to repeat the process for every single instrument and would also presumably be resource intensive.

Unless I'm wrong and this is already possible, what's the best way to make a feature request for this to Intua, and is there anyone else who'd like to be able to customize the pads configuration in keys mode in this way?

Comments

• edited July 2017

I'm in! I own a Linnstrument and use Geoshred frequently (sadly doesn't load as IAA in BM3). I can work around it in BM3 by using either as a controller but it'd be more convenient to have the pad layout native in BM3.

Edit: Geoshred is now loading as IAA for me.

• Id like a 4ths layout like my Ableton Push :)

• I think you can save layouts as a template, so you may only have to do this once.

• I tried something like that with RuisMaker (one instance per pad over 8 pads, each with a different note). I then saved it as a Bank. However, BM3 would not open the session next time around, or even open the bank. Gave up for now.

I will try to do more testing and post on the Intua forum unless others have already.

• tagging this

• I raised a support request for this with Intua and got the following response.

"It's a great feature for sure, we could try to implement some kind of view like these ones (replacing pads)"

I'm not really sure what they mean though to be honest!

• Replacing existing pads maybe?

• I keep wondering why the fuck nobody bothers to read the feature list, not to mention the manual.
    You have some buttons on the right: SOLO, MUTE, etc... [KEYS].
    Select your pad, and hit KEYS. MAGIC!

• You can also do scales & chords.

• Well, @alecsbuga, now you didn't bother to read the first post.

@charalew, I like your idea of having the Linnstrument layout.

• edited July 2017

@alecsbuga said:
    I keep wondering why the fuck nobody bothers to read the feature list, not to mention the manual.

I tend to agree here. BM3 can be quite rewarding if one invests some time to dig around. Tap, Long-Tap, Double-tap here and there add modulations to modulations and play around. That's the proper way to learn it :)

Personally I don't see the mentioned 'bank limit' as a problem...

Then again I'm used to tackers where everything is in one pattern and having 128 instruments in one bank where each instrument can have a full independent effect setup is quite a blast :) (It's like Renoise but with different UI and I like it!).

• The ability to have an instrument with a fully independent and modulatable effect setup, which can then be routed to a separate audio track, is pretty damn awesome. I just don't necessarily need that in a bank all the time...

• @bleep said:
    Well, @alecsbuga, now you didn't bother to read the first post.

I did, but I thought he wants to use pads as notes – since he said about loading an AU on each pad and transposing.
    I guess he actually wants what Push 2 does.

• edited July 2017

@alecsbuga said:

@bleep said:

I did, but I thought he wants to use pads as notes – since he said about loading an AU on each pad and transposing.

I think you misunderstood his post. The push has a different layout from the keys mode in Bm3. He wants to change layout from 4ths to 5ths. It's a lot easier to play chords in that way than the current implementation. So yes. I too would like the ability to change the "note overlap" as novation calls it on the launchpad pros scale mode. That way you can pretty much make any layout you prefer. You can mimic both the current Bm3 4ths layout and the push's 5ths layout easily. Doesn't really matter much to me if they implement this since I use a physical launchpad pro that does this already and it works brilliantly with Bm3. But being able to do it when I cannot carry my controller would be brilliant as well.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    But being able to do it when I cannot carry my controller would be brilliant as well.

It takes a dozen posts to reach the right conclusion.

• Load the same sample to multiple pads, set the root notes. Custom configuration done.

• edited July 2017

@alecsbuga said:

@bleep said:

I do want to use pads as notes and yes I did find the keys button. The issue is with the horizontal interval - I want to change the layout FROM augmented 5ths TO a perfect 4th like Geoshred and my Linnstrument because it's much easier to play melodies/bass lines that way

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    Load the same sample to multiple pads, set the root notes. Custom configuration done.

Yep that's the only work-around at the moment, but as I said in my original post I think I'd have to repeat this for every instrument I wanted to use (unless as aaronpc suggests above, it's possible to save a layout as a template). I'd also thought this might be too resource intensive as it would effectively mean having 64 instances of the same AU plug-in open simultaneously wouldn't it?.

• is there a way to switch from pads to a multi octave keyboard layout?

• @charalew said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Load the same sample to multiple pads, set the root notes. Custom configuration done.

Yep that's the only work-around at the moment, but as I said in my original post I think I'd have to repeat this for every instrument I wanted to use (unless as aaronpc suggests above, it's possible to save a layout as a template). I'd also thought this might be too resource intensive as it would effectively mean having 64 instances of the same AU plug-in open simultaneously wouldn't it?.

Yes... as a sample it would be ok. An AU instance... worth experimenting I suppose ;)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@charalew said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Yes... as a sample it would be ok. An AU instance... worth experimenting I suppose ;)

I guess we could do it for a generic sample, play the pads to genereta the MIDI notes and then swap to the 'real' AU instrument aftewards. Not ideal but a better work-around than generating a layout for every AU separately.

Much better if they didn't constrain us to one specific layout though

• @wim said:
    I tried something like that with RuisMaker (one instance per pad over 8 pads, each with a different note). I then saved it as a Bank. However, BM3 would not open the session next time around, or even open the bank. Gave up for now.

I will try to do more testing and post on the Intua forum unless others have already.

I recommend sampling to different pads from one instance of ruismaker. Takes much less cpu to play the samples instead of play ruismaker, its also easier to set up.

• Sorry, but I must have been thinking of saving midi-mapping templates for external devices. I can't get past this issue either. Needs Scala import, or the ability to create custom scales.

• @charalew said:
    I raised a support request for this with Intua and got the following response.

"It's a great feature for sure, we could try to implement some kind of view like these ones (replacing pads)"

I'm not really sure what they mean though to be honest!

What you wrote sounds very reasonable!

Can I support this in any way? A thread in the Intua forum?
    Something different?

• And: What do you think about SoundPrism Pro?