Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EOS 2 Reverb by Audio Damage iOS AUv3 │ Guide and Review - haQ attaQ 230

Wow! +Audio Damage, Inc. is pushing forward like there's no tomorrow. Meet EOS 2 a AUv3 reverb for iPad and iPhone! Not only does EOS 2 sound marvelous, It also gives you a lot of controls for really shaping the sound of your reverb tails. I recommend this one to every iOS musician out there. Check out my guide and review of Grind!

Apps featured: EOS 3 ny AudioDamageInc, Cubasis by Steinberg, Tines by Klevgränd Produktion

haqattaq

Comments

• I was actually hoping you'd make a Haq Attaq episode dedicated to this awesome reverb. :) Cheers.

• Bought it based on your comments. Haven't done a proper sound test yet so not disappointed but the controls are smaaaaall and the screen is not used. Unnecessarily difficult to control on iPhone 5s.
    Will try on iPad tomorrow. But blank screen space makes no sense to me. If it's an AU related thing then needs to change.

• Very informative and useful demo. I might need a manual to explain the manual, but this one is now on the wish list.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I was actually hoping you'd make a Haq Attaq episode dedicated to this awesome reverb. :) Cheers.

My pleasure! :)

• @Redo1 said:
    Bought it based on your comments. Haven't done a proper sound test yet so not disappointed but the controls are smaaaaall and the screen is not used. Unnecessarily difficult to control on iPhone 5s.
    Will try on iPad tomorrow. But blank screen space makes no sense to me. If it's an AU related thing then needs to change.

Ah, Grind, Rough Rider 2 and EOS 2 are Audio Unit Extenstions. They where designed to be used as plugins inside DAWs and or apps that support AUv3.

This is why you see the blank space. Almost all AUv3's only apps has that blank space when you try to load them up as stand alone.

Hope this helps!

• @Zen210507 said:
    Very informative and useful demo. I might need a manual to explain the manual, but this one is now on the wish list.

Haha, yeah I'm still going through the manual and experimenting with the sound. Thing is though that I'm still getting an awesome sound out of EOS 2 even without understanding everything. This one is a keeper! =D

• Hi Jakob

What is the processor utilisation like with this....quality reverb usually means lots of CPU usage......would it stretch my Mini 2 too far ?

• rcfrcf
    edited June 2017

Love the app but can't figure out how to name user presets; the 'Save as..' drop down doesn't appear to work...at least not for me? It just saves to the default 'User Preset' and auto increments the number. Also, is there an easy way to export/import user presets, and share them between iOS devices, without having to resort to itunes? I can't find a way of deleting user presets either.

• @rcf said:
    Love the app but can't figure out how to name user presets; the 'Save as..' drop down doesn't appear to work...at least not for me? It just saves to the default 'User Preset' and auto increments the number. Also, is there an easy way to export/import user presets, and share them between iOS devices, without having to resort to itunes? I can't find a way of deleting user presets either.

No way to delete them or alter and overwrite either? Could get very annoying very quickly.

Also presets not shared between standalone and plug in modes for me.

Quality sound though, I'm sure any quirks will get ironed out.

• In my repeated attempts to try and name my user presets, I've inadvertently created dozens of copies of the same preset. Hopefully I'll find a solution deleting them soon; you can't even overwrite a previously created user preset as there is only the 'Save as...' option, which creates yet another user preset.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Hi Jakob

What is the processor utilisation like with this....quality reverb usually means lots of CPU usage......would it stretch my Mini 2 too far ?

Well so far I've used up to three instances of EOS 2 inside Cubasis on my iPad mini one. I used three audio tracks and its stabile around 25% of the CPU resources.

I should also add that I'm using Cubasis compressors and eq's on all channels too at the same time.

• edited June 2017

in fact the (user) preset system is messed to a degree of unusability.
    It will get a fix for sure, but until then I wouldn't mind too much - usually a reverb is (fine) tweaked to fit anyway and this thing is easy to operate.

The factory presets give a good idea of what to expect, then it's about size and decay in the first place, the 100% wet amount is perfect for aux channels, otherwise some adjustment applies.

The 'sound parameters' are mostly covered in the respective factory setting.
    Don't expect a night and day difference by moving a magic dial - it's all a variation of the plate theme.
    Stepping through algorithm select on top (plate 1-3, super) is cool for live checking the current choice of parameters.
    That way you quickly get an intuition about the specific strengths of each algo and know which are better for clear or more 'mushy/shimmering' results.
    Imho the sequence 1,2,3,super is NOT a scale of quality, but just about differences.

It's really easy to setup and i didn't even notice the preset bug as I don't use presets except for that basic choice mentioned above.
    Sound quality is flawless and remarkable for this price tag, I found it a welcome complement for AD480 and Amazing Noises reverbs. It's very convincing on vocals and handles small ambiences well.

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Hi Jakob

Well so far I've used up to three instances of EOS 2 inside Cubasis on my iPad mini one. I used three audio tracks and its stabile around 25% of the CPU resources.

I should also add that I'm using Cubasis compressors and eq's on all channels too at the same time.

That sounds very workable....thanks

• @Telefunky @rcf @TheVimFuego Yup, the preset system is most definitely messed up. I would say this is a bug. Hopefully they'll fix it soon enough.

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    @Telefunky @rcf @TheVimFuego Yup, the preset system is most definitely messed up. I would say this is a bug. Hopefully they'll fix it soon enough.

Perhaps you need to add 'Does it actually work ?' to your instant check if this AU has a preset list :D

• edited June 2017

We're working on the preset mechanism. I actually have a fairly lengthy discussion with the folks at JUCE trying to get it sorted; I have it working in the simulator, but not on devices. I talk about this at length in the other Eos thread.

It's worth noting here that a lot of this is of Apple's making. Our principle concern is the AUv3. AUv3 has a factory preset mechanism, but most of the AUv3 hosts ignore it. (AUM being a notable exception.) GarageBand should be the best AUv3 host, but it ignores the factory presets too, and only saves the state the plugin is in when you close the song. And these factory presets are useless to the standalone version.

Some of the devs have gotten around this (note iDensity, for instance. When you're in the AUv3 and want to do preset management, it kicks you out of the DAW to the full iDensity app.)

But suffice to say, presets in iOS are a ball of confusion, wrapped in a whole mess of "YOLO!!!!" We're working on it.

EDIT: I should mention here that, so there isn't any misunderstanding, an AUv3 CAN NOT HAVE A KEYBOARD. An AUv3 is totally sandboxed, and can not spawn new views at all. It can only control what is in its window. So naming presets from within an AUv3 is essentially impossible. Hosts that recognize the AUv3 factory preset system (like AUM) spawn their own keyboards.

EDIT FURTHER: I am an idiot. That much is obvious. Now that I know it can be done, it shall be done. insert don't panic animated gif

If you principally use AUM or Cubasis or something, use the host preset mechanism to store your presets. Do not use ours. (I've actually thought about removing the save state entirely until we get it sorted.)

• @Chris Randall said:
    We're working on the preset mechanism. I actually have a fairly lengthy discussion with the folks at JUCE trying to get it sorted; I have it working in the simulator, but not on devices. I talk about this at length in the other Eos thread.

It's worth noting here that a lot of this is of Apple's making. Our principle concern is the AUv3. AUv3 has a factory preset mechanism, but most of the AUv3 hosts ignore it. (AUM being a notable exception.) GarageBand should be the best AUv3 host, but it ignores the factory presets too, and only saves the state the plugin is in when you close the song. And these factory presets are useless to the standalone version.

Some of the devs have gotten around this (note iDensity, for instance. When you're in the AUv3 and want to do preset management, it kicks you out of the DAW to the full iDensity app.)

But suffice to say, presets in iOS are a ball of confusion, wrapped in a whole mess of "YOLO!!!!" We're working on it.

EDIT: I should mention here that, so there isn't any misunderstanding, an AUv3 CAN NOT HAVE A KEYBOARD. An AUv3 is totally sandboxed, and can not spawn new views at all. It can only control what is in its window. So naming presets from within an AUv3 is essentially impossible. Hosts that recognize the AUv3 factory preset system (like AUM) spawn their own keyboards.

If you principally use AUM or Cubasis or something, use the host preset mechanism to store your presets. Do not use ours. (I've actually thought about removing the save state entirely until we get it sorted.)

Thanks for some background. And good to hear your taking a look at how to game things. Your effects are sufficiently excellent that I found myself tweaking them on a vocal sound over and over and really wanted to be able to capture the best for future use (because I intend to sing, if not live, far more than once :) ). Thanks again.

• @Chris Randall said:

EDIT: I should mention here that, so there isn't any misunderstanding, an AUv3 CAN NOT HAVE A KEYBOARD.

I'm honestly a bit 'confused' here as I have a bunch of AUv3's(These include but are not limited to everything from Bram Bos, KLEVGR, Wolfgang Palm, Jim's Poison-202, IceGear stuff as well as all VirSyn AUv3) that use the standard the iOS keyboard when text input is needed 'inside' the plug-in?!

• Okay. Apparently it is possible. I am obviously exceedingly stupid. But fuck if I can figure out how to do it.

I think that these are "real" AUv3s and not made with JUCE perhaps. Okay. I officially stand corrected, and will investigate.

• @Chris Randall said:
    Okay. Apparently it is possible. I am obviously exceedingly stupid. But fuck if I can figure out how to do it.

I think that these are "real" AUv3s and not made with JUCE perhaps. Okay. I officially stand corrected, and will investigate.

No worries. I know KLVGR uses the JUCE framework for their AUv3's.
    And I do have to say I love the Plug-Ins you've put out so far :)

• I'm just looking through the example code for an AUv3 provided by Roli, and it is so exceedingly unhelpful it makes me want to go yell at children or something. I built the example, and in AUM the presets show up. So I'm like "BINGO!" Then I look at the code.

Basically, it's just faking preset names. There aren't any actual presets. So when the host says "hey, what presets do you have?" it just shits out this list.

THANKS, GUYS!

Anyhow, these are my problems, not yours. We'll get it sorted.

• WTKWTK
    edited June 2017

Hey Chris,

welcome onboard. Was Sean Costello somehow involved within EOS2 too?

Cheers
    Sebastian

• @Chris Randall said:
    I'm just looking through the example code for an AUv3 provided by Roli, and it is so exceedingly unhelpful it makes me want to go yell at children or something. I built the example, and in AUM the presets show up. So I'm like "BINGO!" Then I look at the code.

Basically, it's just faking preset names. There aren't any actual presets. So when the host says "hey, what presets do you have?" it just shits out this list.

This confused the hell out of me when I first saw it, because I couldn't imagine an Apple-invented preset system this useless. Turns out: it's even worse than it seems. AUv3 presets are a source of endless pain and frustration.

• edited June 2017

@WTK said:
    Was Sean Costello somehow involved within EOS2 too?

He wrote the algorithms; we made the plugin. He made these under contract for us, before he started ValhallaDSP. (He did some other stuff for us too, which crops up here and there.) But he wasn't directly involved in making this plugin, other than the preset mechanism that everyone hates was provided to me by him and Randy Jones of Madrona Labs.

So if you're mad at the presets, blame Sean. I do all the time.

(Funny side story: I never changed his variable names, so instead of our naming convention, they use his. So I've been staring at this code for the last three or four days and it's all VahallaThis and ValhallaThat, and whenever it crashes I just go "fucking Sean.")

• edited June 2017

well, he's a talented DSP algorithm designer... that doesn't necessarily correspond to data management - I know, because I'm the reverse kind of guy ;)
    I only messed with presets because rcf mentioned them, and my vague estimation is that they kind of work like an indexed list (by position).
    I created some by the '+' on the preset selection table and they seemed to store whatever was dialed at that stage. Selection switched different settings of the plugin, not exactly smart but somewhat usable.
    The mess started when using the regular preset tab with 'save as' which always added the default name plus number increment. Iirc I was able to choose a different name, which happend to be alphabetically earlier and hopped from 6 to 1.
    After that it was completely out of sense, and for the lack of a delete feature I gave up.
    There may be another list involved to map names to position, otherwise the thing doesn't make sense.

• @Chris Randall said:
    I'm just looking through the example code for an AUv3 provided by Roli, and it is so exceedingly unhelpful it makes me want to go yell at children or something. I built the example, and in AUM the presets show up. So I'm like "BINGO!" Then I look at the code.

THANKS, GUYS!

Anyhow, these are my problems, not yours. We'll get it sorted.

Noooooo! I'm reading code on my day off, I get enough of this techie voodoo on my 9ish to 5ish. ;)

Extra points for the Hitchhikers Guide reference (I still have my original copy, it's so yellow and the pages are falling out, but I digress), good luck getting a workable solution.

• edited July 2017

<3 sounds great.

Sorry if it's been asked before but anyone know if you can record automation in the AU version hosted within with Cubasis?
    (That infinite switch is just begging to be automated)

I'm guessing not since it seems there's no Read/Write automation for AU inserts in Cubasis as far as I can tell.
    I guess you could automate the send amount but that's not quite the same.

• @iamspoon said:
    <3 sounds great.

Sorry if it's been asked before but anyone know if you can record automation in the AU version hosted within with Cubasis?
    (That infinite switch is just begging to be automated)

I'm guessing not since it seems there's no Read/Write automation for AU inserts in Cubasis as far as I can tell.
    I guess you could automate the send amount but that's not quite the same.

I haven't been able to find any way of accessing automation in Cubasis either.

• @Chris Randall @Samu @wtk @brambos @Telefunky

Thanks for the interesting read fellas. It's amazing how unhelpful Apple documentation seems to be.

• edited July 2017

Oh and @Chris Randall Audio Damage kicks ass! Awesome plugins!