Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Advice for developers

I get frustrated when I hear developers saying that they don't sell many apps..I get further frustrated now we are seeing the increase of abandoned apps and the same apps updated and sold as new apps

Then don't get me started on this ridiculous subscription model lol

What I am seeing is that developers are depending on the AppStore, forums like this , some of the tutorial peeps and maybe a few blogs to "sell their wares".

Now, we are TALKING MUSIC! And music tech! Both are hugely popular subjects and have many non iOS forums, magazines, YouTube channels, tv shows etc

From profits received from apps,, and in the time recuperating from developing the first released build..developers could do well to look for further promotional outlets such as the music tech magazines..YouTube channels etc...

This is what promocodes are for..not to give them away to people who would buy the apps for anyway lol..I see so many promocode giveaways when in actuality they would be better served being sent to 100 magazines and YouTube channels

One iOS blogger advertises a few apps and proudly displays a banner saying they get 100k hits..that is because a few thousand visit the site daily and likely thrice daily hoping for more news..100 thousand hits is nothing per month..I know a Buddhist blogger who gets that in a day..and the iOS blogs are preaching to the converted.

It's not that the blogs are not valid..they are..for us..but all that info and then some we can find here on this forum too lol..so I don't visit blogs these days..I don't need to

I have seen the stats for doub, Jakob etc and they are only a few thousand views..likely from us guys lol

There is no outreach! And that is the point..

Just see how michael got lucky cause apple promoted loopy hd without trying..and he got many many more sales..

Well, what happens if developers TRY...????

iOS music apps are a product that could be marketed to a massive audience and it would benefit everyone..prices of apps have gone up to cover shortfalls..only because the market is so small when it doesn't need to be

Korg likely sell their apps in unique ways..and so should the indie devs

Comments

• I tried to convert several friends of mine and I partly succeeded...but I have been surprised how hard it was just to make them buy a 5$ app...the mistrust is still very high and we still miss this little "plus" that will push the interest for iOS music...anyone know Ed Sheeran ?

• edited June 2017

The best strategy is sell hardware attached like Launchpad with their app and obviously IAPs with good content and right price. Subscription model works for content (spotify, netflix...) and for expensive products (Adobe) but at iOS it's not going to happen. Also grow prices until 50€ (max maximum) for something like Auria can be aproved by users (even cuts widespread) but the hardware complement is the key IMHO.

Even BM3 could suffer is NI decdes to update iMaschine making it compatible with their own hardware... people pays for hardware and iPad is "the hardware" most of the time. Apple knows it and that's why GB has so limited certain features focusing its workflow in touchscreen (over midi or whatever).

• If anyone has the magic bullet answer, then please fill us in, I'll then apply it to my music promotion technique :D

• edited June 2017

Compared to the 'real' world, value here is usually astonishingly good. Even those apps that get abandoned provide entertainment and use for their life time. Often at prices cheaper than a pint of beer, and much longer lasting!

Music based and other great apps that do get developed are paving the way for a revolution in music making and portable computing. Okay, there are exceptions. Deliberate rip-offs and apps that are priced way too high for the average punter. But those are few and mostly we do very well here.

Developers who put in the effort, interact, and vitally have great apps, do good business - or at least good enough.

• @Love3quency said:
    I get frustrated when I hear developers saying that they don't sell many apps..I get further frustrated now we are seeing the increase of abandoned apps and the same apps updated and sold as new apps

Then don't get me started on this ridiculous subscription model lol

What I am seeing is that developers are depending on the AppStore, forums like this , some of the tutorial peeps and maybe a few blogs to "sell their wares".

Now, we are TALKING MUSIC! And music tech! Both are hugely popular subjects and have many non iOS forums, magazines, YouTube channels, tv shows etc

From profits received from apps,, and in the time recuperating from developing the first released build..developers could do well to look for further promotional outlets such as the music tech magazines..YouTube channels etc...

This is what promocodes are for..not to give them away to people who would buy the apps for anyway lol..I see so many promocode giveaways when in actuality they would be better served being sent to 100 magazines and YouTube channels

One iOS blogger advertises a few apps and proudly displays a banner saying they get 100k hits..that is because a few thousand visit the site daily and likely thrice daily hoping for more news..100 thousand hits is nothing per month..I know a Buddhist blogger who gets that in a day..and the iOS blogs are preaching to the converted.

It's not that the blogs are not valid..they are..for us..but all that info and then some we can find here on this forum too lol..so I don't visit blogs these days..I don't need to

I have seen the stats for doub, Jakob etc and they are only a few thousand views..likely from us guys lol

There is no outreach! And that is the point..

Just see how michael got lucky cause apple promoted loopy hd without trying..and he got many many more sales..

Well, what happens if developers TRY...????

iOS music apps are a product that could be marketed to a massive audience and it would benefit everyone..prices of apps have gone up to cover shortfalls..only because the market is so small when it doesn't need to be

Korg likely sell their apps in unique ways..and so should the indie devs

I agree devs need to do more marketing / biz dev & less adding more features to make ends meet. A few thoughts though:

• We've been featured on the App Store home page a bunch of times and you don't get many downloads unless you're a free app. Which leads me on to..
    • Most people think apps are toys, not serious tools. I think that idea is changing, especially with Apples iPad pro push but people are reluctant to spend £5-20 on an app if they can't use it in their studio setup
    • Apps are also very cheap compared to desktop software which makes it harder for devs to justify high price points
    • People like KORG have the advantage of already being an established brand so people are more likely to trust their products
  • edited June 2017

@AndyPlankton said:
    If anyone has the magic bullet answer, then please fill us in, I'll then apply it to my music promotion technique :D

7.000.000 downloads makes a good startpoint. If we consider launchpad hardware was first and the fact I purchased a launchkeys and recently a launchcontrol xl only for use with them (being myself poor as a rat :trollface:) and also sample import (before blocswave sharing feature but I don't regret it neither), some fx and also blocswave and packs (due its sharing policy again)... just waiting to improvements in groovebox to jump into it too.
    Also I sent various mails before blocs/launchpad sharing asking for dedicated hardware for blocs or launch series compatibility...
    If Ampify gets revenue from Novation sales seems legit from my pov.

I'm using more the Ampify apps over others I have like looptunes or similar. Also check the remixlive post and how users are requesting launchpad compatibility :smirk:

People buys hardware that could sell and make them feel property of "something". Apps that you can't sell in the future and could get discontinnued by Apple makes you feel "cheated" as user.

Another different thing is if you only sell hardware controllers or apps. My advice will be "search for right partner". :wink:

• edited June 2017

@Alex fox said:

• Most people think apps are toys, not serious tools.

Not here, Alex.

If you want you can be in the front ranks of a music making revolution. It won't be easy. Few things worth having are. It will take time and commitment, etc. But you have one advantage that so many developers don't; the goodwill, support and enthusiasm of people here. Use it wisely.

• @Dubbylabby said:

I see you managed to squeeze the :trollface: in there again :D

• edited June 2017

A few extra thoughts, since it's suggested that it's because of our own failing that the app economy is performing suboptimally in our niche genre and we should just do some marketing.

I've been lucky enough to be featured in some big print magazines, such as Sound On Sound. This is absolutely awesome and a big motivational confidence boost. However, these do not lead to any significant sales boosts, no sudden spike in my App Store Analytics data, not even more hits on my website.

I have also been featured in the App Store a few times. This leads to (literally) millions of views in that particular region when featured on the main page and thousands of hits when featured in the Music category*. Funny enough sales don't go up. In fact sometimes I see a subtle drop in sales. This makes no sense, so from a statistics perspective it's safe to deduce that there is no significant correlation between being featured in the App Store and sales for synth apps. Perhaps if Apple shows your app on stage it's different, but alas, we can't all be so lucky.

Logical conclusion: our little community is pretty much it. It likely needs to grow organically over time because we apparently can't force its growth through marketing efforts.

Marketing is important, and I spend a lot of time interacting with the kind people running blogs, vlogs, review sites and writing music articles for magazines. That's more than just marketing; these guys 'n gals are an essential part of the community itself - we all (devs and users) rely on them as a source of learning, infotainment, forming opinions and friendly banter about a subject we're all passionate about.

The Music App economy is extremely complex; that's one thing that I've learned; and I couldn't pinpoint one single issue as the cause of the problems. Putting all the blame on the developers is kind of silly. At least some of us would have found the magic marketing solution to success if there was one, don't you think?

At the same time, there's still a huge Flappy Bird stigma surrounding apps in general, suggesting to users that (mobile) software has very little intrinsic value and that devs can get filthy rich off of 99 cent apps.

There's no point in pointing fingers.

*) as a dev you get access to a lot of hard data via the iTunes Connect dashboard and services like App Annie. This is useful for actually measuring the result of pricedrops, marketing efforts, conversion statistics etc. rather than just basing it on assumptions.

• @brambos said:
    A few extra thoughts, since it's suggested that it's because of our own failing that the app economy is performing suboptimally in our niche genre and we should just do some marketing.

I've been lucky enough to be featured in some big print magazines, such as Sound On Sound. This is absolutely awesome and a big motivational confidence boost. However, these do not lead to any significant sales boosts, no sudden spike in my App Store Analytics data, not even more hits on my website.

I have also been featured in the App Store a few times. This leads to (literally) millions of views in that particular region when featured on the main page and thousands of hits when featured in the Music category*. Funny enough sales don't go up. In fact sometimes I see a subtle drop in sales. This makes no sense, so from a statistics perspective it's safe to deduce that there is no significant correlation between being featured in the App Store and sales for synth apps. Perhaps if Apple shows your app on stage it's different, but alas, we can't all be so lucky.

Logical conclusion: our little community is pretty much it. It likely needs to grow organically over time because we apparently can't force its growth through marketing efforts.

Marketing is important, and I spend a lot of time interacting with the kind people running blogs, vlogs, review sites and writing music articles for magazines. That's more than just marketing; these guys 'n gals are an essential part of the community itself - we all (devs and users) rely on them as a source of learning, infotainment, forming opinions and friendly banter about a subject we're all passionate about.

The Music App economy is extremely complex; that's one thing that I've learned; and I couldn't pinpoint one single issue as the cause of the problems. Putting all the blame on the developers is kind of silly. At least some of us would have found the magic marketing solution to success if there was one, don't you think?

At the same time, there's still a huge Flappy Bird stigma surrounding apps in general, suggesting to users that (mobile) software has very little intrinsic value and that devs can get filthy rich off of 99 cent apps.

*) as a dev you get access to a lot of hard data via the iTunes Connect dashboard and services like App Annie. This is useful for actually measuring the result of pricedrops, marketing efforts, conversion statistics etc. rather than just basing it on assumptions.

Brilliant. Please condense this sensible down-to-earth analysis into a sugared pill and I will personally stand at the door and hand them out....

• @Zen210507 said:

@Alex fox said:

• Most people think apps are toys, not serious tools.

Not here, Alex.

If you want you can be in the front ranks of a music making revolution. It won't be easy. Few things worth having are. It will take time and commitment, etc. But you have one advantage that so many developers don't; the goodwill, support and enthusiasm of people here. Use it wisely.

I think he means in the wider world....

• @brambos said:

Dissagree

Awareness is key..

Some think apps are toys but they are not..

Properly made dance music made in iOS could be used to support marketing...

It would take decades to grow organically lol

• I like the Youtube idea for advertising, though I don't know how expensive that is, and............Some of the ads you can skip after a few seconds. Would be a waste to pay for advertising, and then have people skipping your ads. (not that I don't do that lol).

Didn't apple promote Loppy because Jimmy F. used it on the Tonight Show? I think it's more likely for John Lennon to come back and tell the world of his love for ios music and all the wonderful apps then for the Loopy thing to happen like that again.

The developer Rett of Diode-108 was very active on the forum when Diode was first released. I love this app, it's an amazing little drum machine app. I don't think it's been updated in a while, don't have my ipad to check. I'm guessing the profit was not to where it was beneficial to continue spending time and money on further development? Unless and app is "just" a hobby, or "mostly".... I can understand why it isn't worth spending the time away form family coding and updating, when most of the purchases have probably already been done. I don't like doing my job for free.

I know a while back, one of the developers on here posted some numbers. I think it was either Brambos or SecretBaseDesign. It was very interesting and eye opening.

• @Love3quency said:
    Awareness is key..

I'm aware of bonsai trees. I have no desire to own one.

• @brambos said:

@Love3quency said:
    Awareness is key..

I'm aware of bonsai trees. I have no desire to own one.

• Difficult for developers it's true. But you can't put the cart before the horse. iOS is not truly a pro platform yet. It's getting there and will do and the market will grow, I believe, as the platform matures as a more professionally viable one.

• It's easy to give free advice especially when it doesn't cost you anything. Developers have to create an app, test it, document it, provide support, and market it. As many music creation apps are created by individuals or very small development teams, it seems unreasonable to expect these developers to be good at all of the above and to devote their limited time and resources to creating music apps rather than some more financially rewarding way of earning a living.

Hitching yourself to the wagon of a music hardware manufacturer would fall under marketing and depends upon the hardware manufacturer being amendable to partnering with you versus having their own in-house or contracted app developer. As a partner, their reputation could tank if your app should have issues as users won't necessarily know or care whether the app, hardware, iOS or some combination is the source of the issues they're experiencing. When these users turn to the hardware manufacturer for support and they tell the user it's the app, many users will be upset and consider this a brush off. The damage to the hardware brand is further damaged should the app developer disagree or can't resolve the issue.

As @Alex fox has pointed out, even having your wagon hitched to a manufacturer such as Apple where you get a lot more marketing exposure on the App Store does not guarantee significant increases in sales as people are accustomed to free apps.

Rather than ask what your developer can do for you, perhaps those who want to have them create apps at the current prices should offer more concrete marketing support to developers rather than urging them to work harder at marketing themselves. Time spent marketing themselves is time taken away from developing, documenting, updating, and providing user support.

Before making sweeping statements about what you think developers are doing or fail to do, it might be a good idea to reflect upon what you think you know versus speculation. Developers are human too and are often creating apps because of their interests and passions rather than for economic opportunities. If a sufficient number of people express a lack of appreciation for their efforts, they may decide to invest in more rewarding activities.

• @Carnbot said:
    Difficult for developers it's true. But you can't put the cart before the horse. iOS is not truly a pro platform yet. It's getting there and will do and the market will grow, I believe, as the platform matures as a more professionally viable one.

Yes, the often discussed Pro App Store would be a great move from Apple to support developers of pro-level software (Affinity Photo for iPad should wake some people up in Cupertino) and help separate the Candy Crush Sagas from the Beatmaker 3s...

• People who use desktop software are likely to prefer using their desktop software on their desktop.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Everry time is avaiRable, my dearr frrend :smirk: <------ it's soul screams :troll...face:

Back on topic...
    iOS isn't professional from desktop pov and salespoint. It has cons and pros.
    Pros, the post before this from @d4d0ug
    Cons, the innexistent pro store @brambos pointed.

Solutions, continue growing and hardware partner in the way Ampify is doing it with Novation or Roli itself @InfoCheck. In other way it could be worst the medicine than the illness :confounded:

• edited June 2017

@db909 said:
    People who use desktop software are likely to prefer using their desktop software on their desktop.

Yes. There is no revolution going on really.
    It's simple. The right tools for the right job.
    Even the fastest iPad and whatever app will never replace a desktop setup.
    And no desktop setup will replace a mobile app.
    I wonder what people waiting for.
    Musicians and listeners don't care how music was made. It just should be music.
    I even think that if iOS would be used more than other platforms it would be a huge step back since there happens no real evolution in synthesis, sampling or creative FX. It's all about a mobile worklow and optimized GUI for multi-touch.
    I mean, why should famous musicians cut off their arms :p
    Also iPads/iPhones are already in use in a lot studios and whatever. I think more as controller and additonel tools rather than the workhouse.
    IOS is often too much just about iOS and the iPad itself and cheap apps instead of the most important part.... music.
    "IOS music" is a very misleading thing to me often.
    It was interesting in the beginning but now nobody could define that. Apps will be loaded with samples from hardware, desktop tools or other apps.
    If i now trigger a sample from hardware from BeatMaker via an extern midi controller.....is this iOS music?
    Musicians just create with whatever they have in their hands, depending on what they will achieve.
    I also hope for some more interesting apps in terms of FX, synthesis or workstations like Omnisphere, Kontakt with a multi-touch optimized workflow but i don't expect any revolution here like all the tiny app games makes still the most money in the app store.
    The app store and iOS devices are just not the right world for the music pro market, like it is no market for the major game developers creating triple A games.
    For drawing it could be indeed a good place (but not the app store in it's current state).
    I don't know even why people think it would be a good thing if such a closed eco system would be a great thing such a niche pro and hobbyist market.
    I think the main thing is that we see still mostly ports from code which already existed to make some extra cash and/or hobby developers doing it not full-time.
    I mean they just could make full desktop multi-touch apps and sell them for 10X the price.
    No one is forced to stay with Apple if they don't earn money.
    For many people iOS apps are for sure enough, for many others not. Like an iPad with iOS 11 will for sure not replace a real notebook for me while it already can do for others.
    IPads sales a shrinking....maybe the new iPads will change that....who knows.

• edited June 2017

Mmmm no, sorry...

I'm agree on different approach but if BM3 (or any other newcoming aside Auria) could do properly audio warping like Ableton I could do everything I need from desktop.
    I jumped and could do anything I need. Obviously I don't consider myself pro because I rarely bought the Pro apps in my desktop era (but I still have Mainstage, Traktor licenses)... so no 10x at desktop due piracy but I expent a lot of money in iOS apps and IAPs and I do more music than the last 10 years with Ableton thanks to apps like Blocs (which let me go Live-act with Launchpad and controllers without carry extra useless power).

These statement (yours) was true before AUM and AUv3, now we have very powerfull apps over a glitchy OS (not more than windows) so iOS is where the money.
    The problem is Appstore policies and so (connector changes, space limitation...)
    Also Android lack of good audio apps keeps our niche very small (people still doesn't understand why for us a iPhone is better than S8)

Nowadays I'm more reliable to buy standalone hardware than back to desktop/laptop computers and if I need it; I will buy an old mac mini and give it only one or two task as I make with my iDevices (old iPhone 4 as synth, my actual 5s as fx unit and mini4 as one-function time use.
    Cheap, no piracy (family sharing), and less risky in money (I only carry what I need to gigs, not the whole setup, not a Pro computer, etc..)

• @Dubbylabby said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Everry time is avaiRable, my dearr frrend :smirk: <------ it's soul screams :troll...face:

Back on topic...
    iOS isn't professional from desktop pov and salespoint. It has cons and pros.
    Pros, the post before this from @d4d0ug
    Cons, the innexistent pro store @brambos pointed.

Solutions, continue growing and hardware partner in the way Ampify is doing it with Novation or Roli itself @InfoCheck. In other way it could be worst the medicine than the illness :confounded:

I don't know if Ampify is a good example of developers developing a relationship with a hardware manufacturer or a hardware manufacturer covering their bases in the iOS platform by developing mobile app divisions or perhaps some combination of both.

We've certainly seen a number of app/hardware partnerships which definitely makes sense for the pro market.

In any case, I agree with @brambos about the benefits of developing a Pro App Store to meet the needs of pro users and developers. To be considered a pro music creation environment comparable to the desktop environment, iOS will have to have a more stable environment where crashes and setup recall are significantly less problematic (AU has helped), and better file management with backup for complex projects.

A commitment by Apple to bring a functional and reliable version of Logic to iOS with all of the improvements to iOS and iOS devices needed to support such an app and all the other apps used in conjunction with it would raise iOS to a more pro level.

With tablet sales leveling off due to the needs of primarily media consumption and social media engagement users being met by commodity based solutions or their current tablets, Apple will need to truly support pro users (not just musicians) to justify the purchase of their new pricey proprietary tablets. Pro users are not persuaded by marketing if it's not backed up by performance capabilities that meet their needs. Some of the new features in iOS 11 are a start.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Mmmm no, sorry...

I'm agree on different approach but if BM3 (or any other newcoming aside Auria) could do properly audio warping like Ableton I could do everything I need from desktop.
    I jumped and could do anything I need. Obviously I don't consider myself pro because I rarely bought the Pro apps in my desktop era (but I still have Mainstage, Traktor licenses) so no 10x at desktop since piracy but I expent a lot of money in iOS and I do more music than the last 10 years thanks to apps like Blocs (and I can go Live-act with Launchpad and controllers).
    These statement was true before AUM and AUv3, now we have very powerfull apps over a glitchy OS (not more than windows) so iOS is where the money is but the problem is Appstore policies and so (connector changes, space limitation...)'Also Android lack of good audio apps keeps our niche very small (people still doesn't understand why for us a iPhone is better than S8)

I'm more reliable to buy standalone hardware than back to desktop/laptop computers and if I need it; I will buy an old mac mini and give it only one or two task as I make with my iDevices (old iPhone 4 as synth, my actual 5s as fx unit and mini4 as one-function time use.
    Cheap, no piracy (family sharing), and less risky in money (I only carry what I need to gigs, not the whole setup, not a Pro computer, etc..)

For me it's exact the other way. IOS tools are still have to go a long way. A multi app set-up is unstable.
    I'm a lot faster and create more on my notebook at the moment.
    That could change of course but all the 5 dollar apps a collecting dust and desktop tools don't cost always more.
    Maybe in iOS is money, yes... but i have mixed feelings about it.
    I believe when iPads will be more than big iPods :#

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:
    Difficult for developers it's true. But you can't put the cart before the horse. iOS is not truly a pro platform yet. It's getting there and will do and the market will grow, I believe, as the platform matures as a more professionally viable one.

Yes, the often discussed Pro App Store would be a great move from Apple to support developers of pro-level software (Affinity Photo for iPad should wake some people up in Cupertino) and help separate the Candy Crush Sagas from the Beatmaker 3s...

I think that Affinity Photo could finally be a game-changer for the general public in terms of them beginning to see the iPad as a pro-level device capable of rivalling the desktop. We've all known this for a while in terms of what's possible with music apps, but if a Pro App store does come into being, it may lead to good opportunities for music app devs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, though, if an iPad version of Logic comes along in the next year or so, which may scare some devs! We finally have devices that seem capable of running such a thing to a high level if it's designed correctly.

• @Cib said:

@Dubbylabby said:
    Mmmm no, sorry...

I jumped and could do anything I need. Obviously I don't consider myself pro because I rarely bought the Pro apps in my desktop era (but I still have Mainstage, Traktor licenses) so no 10x at desktop since piracy but I expent a lot of money in iOS and I do more music than the last 10 years thanks to apps like Blocs (and I can go Live-act with Launchpad and controllers).
    These statement was true before AUM and AUv3, now we have very powerfull apps over a glitchy OS (not more than windows) so iOS is where the money is but the problem is Appstore policies and so (connector changes, space limitation...)'Also Android lack of good audio apps keeps our niche very small (people still doesn't understand why for us a iPhone is better than S8)

I'm more reliable to buy standalone hardware than back to desktop/laptop computers and if I need it; I will buy an old mac mini and give it only one or two task as I make with my iDevices (old iPhone 4 as synth, my actual 5s as fx unit and mini4 as one-function time use.

For me it's exact the other way. IOS tools are still have to go a long way. A multi app set-up is unstable.
    I'm a lot faster and create more on my notebook at the moment.
    That could change of course but all the 5 dollar apps a collecting dust and desktop tools don't cost always more.
    Maybe in iOS is money, yes... but i have mixed feelings about it.
    I believe when iPads will be more than big iPods :#

If you try to do the same as your desktop, of course! That's why I said "one function machine".
    I only use AUM multis at home, never will go live-act with these but I'm very confident going with Launchpad app and controllers. I don't need all the bells and whistles from Ableton, just grid loop launch.
    Blocswave (the fastest workflow from my POV) is cheap and useful for feed the launchpad app and I don't feel myself wasting money on these. Different with other devs but no regrets. Blame is on apple appstore side.

Expecting iDevices more than consumer... well now with Pro and iOS 11 maybe but let's see how price goes and if "Pro" users jump into it. Meanwhile we have what we have and I still strong believe that good partner is the key ATM.
    Future will tell by itself but I have the bad habit to live in present and enjoy what I have :wink:

• @Cib said:
    Musicians just create with whatever they have in their hands, depending on what they will achieve.

Bing, bing, bing.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Cib said:

Bing, bing, bing.

While this is true, musicians who care about their music also care about their instruments and would prefer to have instruments which allow them to express themselves and require minimal setup and maintenance with all things being equal so they can focus on creating music. No doubt musicians can be side tracked by technology as the phenomenon of gear acquisition syndrome demonstrates and lose their focus of creating music. Musicians vary as to how they balance these issues and can be constrained by economics and who they're working with. I don't know that these decisions can be reduced to a simple formula beyond making sure they pay careful attention to how their music sounds and not get too wrapped up in music production overhead.