Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Restoring back up to new iPad?

edited June 2017 in Other

Ever since Apple took away the facility to manually back up app files from iTunes (worst software ever) I've been unsure of how much a general back up actually saves. Indeed, it would appear that purchased apps are also no longer being transferred.

So, if I were to restore a full back up of one iPad onto a new one, what would be missing and how can I restore it? I'm thinking of all my presets, and works in Blocks Wave, etc.

Comments

• edited June 2017

I did this a few months ago. I did an itunes backup of my Air1 and restored on an iPad5. It seemed like all of my data was fine. Blocs sounds all transfered OK. Cubasis project, all my patches for Shoom, Elastic Drums, Animoog etc. all transfered over fine. It worked great for me. The only thing was passwords for email and dropbox etc needed to be punched in again.

So it seemed to copy all the data over and then just sit there for a good chunk of time and automatically redownload the apps for me. This really removes a barrier for me wanted to upgrade my ipad in the future.

• I had to switch out iPads about a year ago, when I cracked the screen of my Air 1 a week before my AppleCare ran out. I had similar concerns, but restoring from my last iPad backup was a carbon copy. Didn't lose a thing.

It's been that way as long as I can remember, with iPhones and iPads. With the iPad I do a full "connected" backup to my iMac, just in case ... but I've never had to use it. Hope that helps?

• Okay, thanks both for info and reassurance. I guess that it will be a serious chunk of time to download apps.

Oh, how about IAP's? Are those included, or do they need to be manually restored?

• @Zen210507 said:
    Okay, thanks both for info and reassurance. I guess that it will be a serious chunk of time to download apps.

Oh, how about IAP's? Are those included, or do they need to be manually restored?

IAPs have to be redownloaded. :(

• @Korakios said:

>

Uh-oh, there goes another three hours. :'(

• The other thing to watch out for is whether you have any apps that you intentionally avoided updating. As far as I know, it automatically downloads the newer version.

It probably won't be a huge deal but just in case!

• @Zen210507 said:

@Korakios said:

>

Uh-oh, there goes another three hours. :'(

I don't think so, as most 'restore iaps' seem to be just a code checking (you may guess from application size) ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    I don't think so, as most 'restore iaps' seem to be just a code checking (you may guess from application size) ;)

I said that based on my recent reinstall of BeatHawk. Restoring purchases took ages.

• oh yah right, I recall the IAP were a surprise on the train without wifi hehe

• I just bought a new 10.5" Pro (which I love). I did a manual backup of my Air 2 to my laptop, and restored it to the new one. Worked perfectly. As others have said, it does download latest versions of apps, and you do need to restore IAPs with certain apps, but it worked fine. I would call it painless...

• I hooked up Ethernet to restore around 80GB of apps and samples:

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I hooked up Ethernet to restore around 80GB of apps and samples:

Where is the Ethernet connection in the photo you posted?

• Ethernet plugs into the white adapter most shaped like a pack of gum.

• edited June 2017

Another thought. Is it best practice to restore a back up to a new iPad straight out of the box, or setup said iPad first with basic user details? Or doesn't it matter?

• Straight out of box every time here. I always restore from an iCloud back up too, at the recommendation of the Genius Bar.

• @Tarekith said:
    Straight out of box every time here. I always restore from an iCloud back up too, at the recommendation of the Genius Bar.

>

Never really tired iCloud, as I am distrustful of cloud based services. I even back up my Dropbox. ;) But when I get new iPad will try restoring from HDD iTunes back up straight to new machine.

• edited June 2017

Disaster.

Just done as per instructions, from fresh backup of iPad Air 2 to iPad Pro 10.5. System said all was well. However, upon rebooting I find that every single one of my non Apple apps are dark. Taping on one starts to re-download it. Worse, none of the data those apps contained is present. According to the App Store, I have no apps to update!

Arghhhh. Just found that moe recent apps, such as Groovebox are absent entirely. There has to be a way to do this again and make it work?

Any ideas?

• Did you restore from an iCloud back up?

• edited June 2017

@Tarekith said:
    Did you restore from an iCloud back up?

>

Nope, from Mac. But I worked out what was happening. There was an uncommonly long pause between general restore, and starting to grab apps. All are now reinstalled * and I am adding the IAP's.

• The one thing that did not install was an app under TestFlight. Still working on resetting what I was doing with that one.

Oh, and an app called AirMail, which restored my accounts, but minus any content.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Tarekith said:
    Did you restore from an iCloud back up?

>

Nope, from Mac. But I worked out what was happening. There was an uncommonly long pause between general restore, and starting to grab apps. All are now reinstalled * and I am adding the IAP's.

• The one thing that did not install was an app under TestFlight. Still working on resetting what I was doing with that one.

Oh, and an app called AirMail, which restored my accounts, but minus any content.

Apple have just generally changed their backup/restore system in iOS10 so that it only backs up the user data, and not the actual app itself, and then queues downloads.

Groovebox did not automatically download in your case after the restore because it's reliant on Testflight to install a beta version (so for anyone who downloaded the app normally it will be visible and queued to download). It has however kept your user data folder in limbo, so if you just reinstall via Testflight your sessions should be there.

The above paragraph is only true for beta versions so don't worry about having to do anything special to restore the app if you downloaded it normally.

• @AmpifyxNovation said:
    It has however kept your user data folder in limbo, so if you just reinstall via Testflight your sessions should be there.

Yep, got there eventually. All now well, and Groove(box)ing good!

• So am I understanding correctly that you can't just load up all purchased apps on a new IPad when using the same Apple ID?

• @Bootsy said:
    So am I understanding correctly that you can't just load up all purchased apps on a new IPad when using the same Apple ID?

>

Not until they have been downloaded again. As far as I understand, as it says somewhere above, Apple changed policy. So now a back up stores stuff personal to the user, including most app settings and saves (but not IAP's) and restores this to a new iPad.

Then, you have to leave it for as long as it takes, while all your apps are downloaded again, and reunited with the stored data. Once that completes, you can go through apps one by one, restoring purchased IAP's.

I had a couple of apps lose everything with no way to restore. The most annoying being AirMail. So annoying I've gone back to Apple's standard mailer.

• Due to the discussions around blocks wave I have to ask... Does restore from backup bring back all the user generated content?

• Thanks@Zen210507, that sucks have never synced with iTunes and dont have enough space on iCloud to backup. Is there any other alternatives?

• I think I must have done something wrong with my recent backup and upgrade.

I backed up my iPad Air 1 to my PC using iTunes. When I "restored" from backup on my new iPad Pro, the apps all loaded individually, but not in the folders I had on my old iPad. The custom presets did not transfer, and I did have to restore all IAP's.

• @LemurFlight said:
    Due to the discussions around blocks wave I have to ask... Does restore from backup bring back all the user generated content?

>

It did for me.

• @Bootsy said:
    Thanks@Zen210507, that sucks have never synced with iTunes and dont have enough space on iCloud to backup. Is there any other alternatives?

>

Not as far as I know.

But providing you go carefully, iTunes back up to an HDD will work. Good luck.

• Oh-oh. Just discovered that iBooks lost all the titles I had there, so apparently does not store this info with FULL backup. Happily, I have the vast majority of my e-books in Marvin, which did restore perfectly.

• @Zen210507 said:

@Bootsy said:
    So am I understanding correctly that you can't just load up all purchased apps on a new IPad when using the same Apple ID?

>

Not until they have been downloaded again. As far as I understand, as it says somewhere above, Apple changed policy. So now a back up stores stuff personal to the user, including most app settings and saves (but not IAP's) and restores this to a new iPad.

Then, you have to leave it for as long as it takes, while all your apps are downloaded again, and reunited with the stored data. Once that completes, you can go through apps one by one, restoring purchased IAP's.

I had a couple of apps lose everything with no way to restore. The most annoying being AirMail. So annoying I've gone back to Apple's standard mailer.

actually. if you have all the apps downloaded already in your itunes on the pc/mac it installs the local backups when you restore. did not have to download any apps at all. its the main reason i buy/download all my apps through itunes. plus i can reinstall apps that have been removed from the store as well this way.