Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Choosing your synth app (only one)

It's easy to post your favorite synths , but just think for a moment (or more!) . On your iPad you could only have one synth app , not two , only one . I am not talking about all-in-one apps like Caustic, Gadget etc , but standalone IAA, AU synths.

I say Synthmaster, not 100% sure because it's not AU ,but I like the ready to play ,high quality sounds.

Comments

• iSem, even tho its not my most used synth, id still take it if i had to choose only one. But if odyssei were an AU, i would take it instead.

• edited June 2017

Viking Synth is the only synth that features in EVERY setup I run, and is the first I reach for when I just want to make cool sounds.

Excellent sound (PHat!!), pretty low processor demand, great customisability, solid as a rock and has been AU since forever have made it an absolute staple for me.

• I think of this now and then, and I always come back to iMS-20.

• Poison-202 without any kind of hesitation.

• For me it's the weird and wonderful iPulsaret. I don't see. It being praised much but its my number 1 go synth.

ODYSSEi Is gorgeous however and I love the Gadget Dublin for bass.

• I'm learning about subtractive synthesis and love the classic Moog sound, so for me it would be Model 15.

• edited June 2017

@Calverhall said:
    For me it's the weird and wonderful iPulsaret. I don't see. It being praised much but its my number 1 go synth.

But you can have only one . So which one?

• If i could only have one synth on an iPad?........i would buy a new iPad then :D
    But i think it would be Model 15 since it´s the most versatile and high quality sounding synth for iOS yet.
    But for experimental soundscape design with simple samples i would miss Mitosynth most.

• edited June 2017

@Samu said:
    Poison-202 without any kind of hesitation.

I would second this selection. Poison covers a lot of different bases in an accessible way. For a 'Desert Island' synth I would probably choose something a little more complex (or roll my own while I'm there anyway), but for everyday music making this is currently the one that does the most in a single package (in a futureproof way, i.e. with AUv3 support etc.).

• I couldn't live with Model 15 alone, not enough basic capability – I mean, where's the sample and hold?

• @u0421793 said:
    I couldn't live with Model 15 alone, not enough basic capability – I mean, where's the sample and hold?

Use some random midi cc messages ;)
    I know what you mean but then you might choose z-mors or audulus. But their sound quality is not close as the Moog app (in my opinion).
    Anyway i couldn´t live with any single synth alone. But that was not the point here or?

• @Cib said:

@u0421793 said:
    I couldn't live with Model 15 alone, not enough basic capability – I mean, where's the sample and hold?

I know what you mean but then you might choose z-mors or audulus. But their sound quality is not close as the Moog app (in my opinion).
    Anyway i couldn´t live with any single synth alone. But that was not the point here or?

Random control change messages won't solve the issue of how to temporally quantise a transient from within the synth.

• But wait.....i forgot Alchemy......the old one with all the patch banks i still have might be the most versatile and easy to use synth still for iOS. Nothing can morph so beautiful trough timbres and FX.
    It´s maybe THE synth i used the most to compose the main parts of all my old Galaxyexplorer tracks in the past.
    So sad that Apple let it die.

• @u0421793 said:

@Cib said:

@u0421793 said:

Random control change messages won't solve the issue of how to temporally quantise a transient from within the synth.

And? Read the OP :p

• @Cib said:

@u0421793 said:

@Cib said:

@u0421793 said:

And? Read the OP :p

I did. I chose iMS-20. It has enough of the balance of diversity I require in a synth.

• My first thought was Thor. But if it's my one and only I'd want a bit more complexity and the ability to include samples in some form. Assuming SsnVvx isn't allowed, I would probably go for Mitosynth.. or Poseidon, no Thor, no Animoog! Oh I don't know, just glad it ain't going to be so.

• Obsidian synth

• Not really a synth but if I could only have one sound source it would be BS-16I and a shed load of sound fonts

• I would go with iSEM.

• Z3ta. Ive still to find anything it cant do and Im still about three years away from understanding its complexity. The sound is popularly considered excellent and the patch bay for routing mods is amazing. Im going to load it into cubasis now and see if freeze works. Negatives are not universal and abandoned by cakewalk but not by me!

• @Korakios said:

@Calverhall said:
    For me it's the weird and wonderful iPulsaret. I don't see. It being praised much but its my number 1 go synth.

But you can have only one . So which one?

Ha, i thought I was clear, iPulsaret.

Im just giving shout outs to those other 2.

• Does Fab Twin 2 count? If so, that

If not i'd have to go with Audulus or Zmors modular. Would decide with a coin flip

• Model 15. Sounds the best and the modular aspect gives it a ton of legs for experimentation.

• Poison-202. Thor is great but doesn't function as an IAA instrument, which makes it just a little bit more of hassle (very good playable interface, though).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sunrizer! One of my oldest and still one of the best!

• ^^^+1 for the rizer

• @Purpan said:
    Poison-202. Thor is great but doesn't function as an IAA instrument, which makes it just a little bit more of hassle (very good playable interface, though).

I've had no issues using Poison-202 as IAA-Instrument or AUv3.
    What hosts are you using?

• Phonem...at least I'd always have someone to talk to