Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep Tutorial:- Midi chopping with Modstep and Ab3 starring Ripplemaker

This video shows the new Ab3 midi functionality coming soon to the public build. the Developers allowed me to share it with you so i did :)

You can do some interesting things using Ab3 midi and Modstep. Including feeding midi from one modstep channel into another. this lets us actually chop midi like you would audio. I'll let the video speak for itself.
If you need anything explained further feel free to ask me right here :)

Comments

• Very cool!

Looking forward to the update

• @jn2002dk said:
    Very cool!

Looking forward to the update

combining this with the scale locked transpose you can basically make melodies, counter melodies and basslines all from the randomly generated midi from either troublemaker or ripplemaker. so freaking happy with the current build :D

• @gonekrazy3000 Can you get midi cc's working with Modstep AB3 midi? i don't think it's working for me on latest beta. E.g sending ccs on track one to app in AB3 has no effect

• anyone know when this update is being released ???

• @Carnbot said:
    @gonekrazy3000 Can you get midi cc's working with Modstep AB3 midi? i don't think it's working for me on latest beta. E.g sending ccs on track one to app in AB3 has no effect

I just host stuff in AUM usually. And the cc seems to work even using ab3 midi. I think stuff hosted in ab3 can't actually automate their parameters.

• You're killing it with these modstep tutorials! as ever, I'm surprised by what is considered an input and output regarding AB3. Will watch the video more closely over the weekend. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Carnbot said:
    @gonekrazy3000 Can you get midi cc's working with Modstep AB3 midi? i don't think it's working for me on latest beta. E.g sending ccs on track one to app in AB3 has no effect

I just host stuff in AUM usually. And the cc seems to work even using ab3 midi. I think stuff hosted in ab3 can't actually automate their parameters.

hmm, it definitely should work so needs a fix. KRFT works this way in comparison.
    EG host Animoog in Audiobus as a midi receiver and send Modstep track one to it and the CCs don't get through. At least for me.

• Sweet vid loving modstep more and more each day.

• Welp. It seems like you guys are correct. Modstep doesn't seem to send or receive cc over Audiobus midi ports. Will definitely see if I can get this fixed before public launch.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Welp. It seems like you guys are correct. Modstep doesn't seem to send or receive cc over Audiobus midi ports. Will definitely see if I can get this fixed before public launch.

I emailed them but another confirmation will help speed it up :)

• @Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    Welp. It seems like you guys are correct. Modstep doesn't seem to send or receive cc over Audiobus midi ports. Will definitely see if I can get this fixed before public launch.

Here's hoping it gets fixed soon :) although to be honest even if it doesn't I'm more than happy with how it is now. I keep cc in separate cells from my midi data. And I can send those cells directly to AUM. Heck. I have a lot more than 8 midi lanes anyways usually. So ab3 midi is mostly just used in my generating harmonic content phase. Cc automaton and general sound design comes later in my workflow. And I eventually pretty much make everything go from modstep=>aum later. Or export all the midi to Auria and do all cc stuff in there.

• edited June 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:
    You're killing it with these modstep tutorials! as ever, I'm surprised by what is considered an input and output regarding AB3. Will watch the video more closely over the weekend. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

This is actually take 2 of the tutorial lol. I might have made it overly complex in my first run so I deleted it. But it was actually 4 midi lanes.
    Ripplemaker => Modstep1 (recorded midi to 1 bar loop)
    Modstep1=> Modstep 2 (initial 1 bar midi converted to 4 bar loop running at 4x)
    Modstep 2=> Modstep 3 (chopped midi sent to cell running at normal speed for rendering midi for export to other daws)
    Basically. When you export modstep midi some daws like Ableton ignore the clock divider speed. And run it at 1x hence the output render layer.

Btw. You can already do this with midiflow adapter. Since it gives you 10 input and output ports you can do some crazy shenanigans even without Ab3. Its just easier in Ab3.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Here's hoping it gets fixed soon :) although to be honest even if it doesn't I'm more than happy with how it is now. I keep cc in separate cells from my midi data. And I can send those cells directly to AUM. Heck. I have a lot more than 8 midi lanes anyways usually. So ab3 midi is mostly just used in my generating harmonic content phase. Cc automaton and general sound design comes later in my workflow. And I eventually pretty much make everything go from modstep=>aum later. Or export all the midi to Auria and do all cc stuff in there.

Even so it's a major bug. Especially since you shouldn't have to use AUM for a workaround. I'm sure there are on it for a fix.

• edited June 2017

@Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Carnbot said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Even so it's a major bug. Especially since you shouldn't have to use AUM for a workaround. I'm sure there are on it for a fix.

It's actually an even bigger bug. Even aum doesn't get sent midi over ab3 ports. Reason I never noticed is I had modstep sending midi cc directly using aum's direct ports. Was reserving the 8 ab3 midi lanes for chopping and experimenting only midi note data.

Incase you're curious why I kept cc separate. It's because I have my launchcontrol xl ports=>modstep 9=>Aum channel 16. This way I can record the movements of my physical Knobs and faders and midi learn parameters in aum directly.
    Also can chop and clock divide cc data without affecting notes.

• edited June 2017

@Carnbot It seems to be that it isn't the fault of modstep at all. Even Krft doesn't seem to send any midi cc over audiobus midi ports. tried to automate Aum using a morph cell and it failed completely. did you actually manage to send cc over Ab3 midi using any other app ?

nevermind. got it to work. lemme see if i can get modstep to work....

well. definitely a modstep bug. ignore my earlier posts.

• I'm jelly. So ready for this.

• Yeah, so we need this modstep update soon, dammit! :)

• jup, definitely on our side! we'll upload a new beta tomorrow - if its fine it will be released within the coming week!

cheers for the headsup and the work on the tutorials mr. gonecrazy:)!

• @cblomert said:
    jup, definitely on our side! we'll upload a new beta tomorrow - if its fine it will be released within the coming week!

cheers for the headsup and the work on the tutorials mr. gonecrazy:)!

great, thanks @cblomert so much fun using Modstep via Audiobus 3 :)

• @cblomert the B team is silently cancelling w/end plans and preparing to barracade themselves into spare bedrooms to help with emergency testing.

• MODSTEP!!!!!

hurray!

• This is incredibly sweet.

• Did this CC thing get fixed?