Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's the best piano roll on an iOS app?

I'm currently implementing some changes to KRFTs piano roll (matrix) and wondered - what are the best editors on iOS?

The touch screen has an advantage of being quicker than a mouse, however your fingers don't have the same accuracy as a mouse which means everything has to be bigger. There's also no right click, or alt-click which can be really useful for accessing features quickly or an alternate function.

Look forward to your replies!
Alex

Comments

• best:
    auxy.
    Gadget.

decent:
    GarageBand.

• I would strongly suggest taking a good look at Auxy. Auxy has this thing where if you have a block chord in the piano roll or any simultaneously occurring notes, if you move one of those notes up or down in pitch, the app will sound the resulting chord for you. Same with selecting multiple notes and moving them around. Their select, copy, paste functions are really good as well.

• Auxy.
    Hands down.

• I like bm2's piano roll.

• @db909 said:
    I would strongly suggest taking a good look at Auxy. Auxy has this thing where if you have a block chord in the piano roll or any simultaneously occurring notes, if you move one of those notes up or down in pitch, the app will sound the resulting chord for you. Same with selecting multiple notes and moving them around. Their select, copy, paste functions are really good as well.

Yeah I've seen that chord function - I found it a bit annoying for my use cases but I can imagine it being useful. I think you'd want to be able to turn it off.

I saw how to select but not how to copy and paste in Auxy - tips ?

• @Alex fox said:

@db909 said:
    I would strongly suggest taking a good look at Auxy. Auxy has this thing where if you have a block chord in the piano roll or any simultaneously occurring notes, if you move one of those notes up or down in pitch, the app will sound the resulting chord for you. Same with selecting multiple notes and moving them around. Their select, copy, paste functions are really good as well.

Yeah I've seen that chord function - I found it a bit annoying for my use cases but I can imagine it being useful. I think you'd want to be able to turn it off.

don't worry worked it out !

• edited June 2017

I think I'm the only one that will say this but I LOVE Modstep's pianoroll/step sequencer hybrid. It's hard as hell to get into but I honestly can't use most other piano roll at this point.

• Frankly, out of all those mentioned thus far, and of what I have... I think the current KRFT's piano roll is my favorite.

Also, few ever mention Genome, but I think it's simplicity and ease of use is up there too.

• auxy is really worth studiyng, it still offers the most fluid piano roll experience, mostly because there is no need to change tools. everything can be done easily with gestures.
    Also for some reason the lack of zooming capabilities seems to make things easier -- at least in the context of auxy.

• Have a look at alt func button in fugue machine

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

Auxy much better than Gadget.
    Winner!

Most easiest creation of steps, long and short, corrections to lengths and positions for one or a whole selection of steps, easiest Copy-und-Paste for further modifications and showcasing of new tones when moving.
    Just great!

Only one thing is missing, which has Gadget:

Test the tone before actually creating a step, on the left side.

Please note, I write about Auxy Classic with MIDI, not the newer version

• @Alex fox said:
    I'm currently implementing some changes to KRFTs piano roll (matrix) and wondered - what are the best editors on iOS?

The touch screen has an advantage of being quicker than a mouse, however your fingers don't have the same accuracy as a mouse which means everything has to be bigger. There's also no right click, or alt-click which can be really useful for accessing features quickly or an alternate function.

Alex

As you said fingers are fat and in the way. I have yet to see it on any music apps but this offset mouse feature in photo puppet had app, would be very handy for piano roll editing. see ( 1:16)
    As far as right clicking or alt click, just have a hot button bar at the left side of the screen. you could use the mouse to navigate and move, and hot buttons to click or alt-click or whatever you want really.

• @Alex fox said:

Alex

Also, can you have as an option just a regular piano keyboard. I am not a fan of being locked to a specific scale all the time. keep up the great work, i love this app

• When it comes to sheer number of editing features Yamaha MMS hands down but that's just me.
    And from what I've seen of the Audio Evolution Mobile it's pretty fully featured and has good selection tools.

I kinda like Cubasis after the latest update and Gadget is up there on the top as well.

Garageband is quite good back currently lacks any form of controller editing, if it gets something controller editing similar to LogicPro X it will be one of the best out there!

I also enjoy using the sequencer/editor in BM2!

ModSTEP is good too after one gets used to it :)

• Groove Machine Mobile is my favorite with it's two finger approach, etc. Lots of control.

https://www.image-line.com/groovemachinemobile/

• @Alex fox said:

@db909 said:

Oh man I love it. Especially for selecting whole melodies and moving them around to try different tonality. Harmony preview: on/off

• Auria Pro, because it allows for multiple track viewing in the piano roll, and because the advanced grid/quantize options, MIDI functions etc. Garageband, because it's the most intuitive and hassle-free, and also very beautiful.

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check them out!

• @Samu said:
    When it comes to sheer number of editing features Yamaha MMS hands down but that's just me.
    And from what I've seen of the Audio Evolution Mobile it's pretty fully featured and has good selection tools.

I kinda like Cubasis after the latest update and Gadget is up there on the top as well.

Garageband is quite good back currently lacks any form of controller editing, if it gets something controller editing similar to LogicPro X it will be one of the best out there!

I also enjoy using the sequencer/editor in BM2!

ModSTEP is good too after one gets used to it :)

+1 for Modstep. I avoided that one for the longest time because so many seemed imply the learning curve was too steep. Once I spent a little time with it... most of the app fell into place nicely. Definitely one of my top 3.

• Nanostudio by a country mile, but it won't be around for much longer unless you're on an older 32but device.

• @LeeB said:
    Nanostudio by a country mile, but it won't be around for much longer unless you're on an older 32but device.

+1
    But as we know version 2 should be there soon.....or so.

• I actually though Auxy and KRFT had very similar piano rolls, if anything I like the one in KRFT because you can easily change the velocity of notes. With Auxy it's only soft or loud.

• @Alex fox said:

Hold your finger down for a couple seconds on the blank section of the piano roll, then it will let you draw a box around a group of notes and automatically copy them. Where ever you press and hold a second time the notes will be pasted.

• edited June 2017

I nearly spit out my coffee when @gonekrazy3000 suggested Modstep--gotta love gluttons for punishment! :smiley:

Please don't change the velocity change feature in KRFT--it's brilliant!

• @Tarekith said:
    I actually though Auxy and KRFT had very similar piano rolls, if anything I like the one in KRFT because you can easily change the velocity of notes. With Auxy it's only soft or loud.

Yeah they are similar :smiley:

• @Tarekith said:
    I actually though Auxy and KRFT had very similar piano rolls, if anything I like the one in KRFT because you can easily change the velocity of notes. With Auxy it's only soft or loud.

Yes let's not forget that KRFT is actually one of the best itself

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I nearly spit out my coffee when @gonekrazy3000 suggested Modstep--gotta love gluttons for punishment! :smiley:

Not really punishment for me at this point lol. Can get melodies etc in seconds now that I'm used to it. And having basically ableton push or launchpad layouts in the app itself is pretty fast for playing melodies. Really like the isomorphic keyboard. The note repeats are awesome too.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

Don't worry I'm not! Biggest change is the addition multi select which works similar to Auxy :smile:

• Can I just say how awesome it is that you made this thread? KRFT is quickly becoming the center of what I do on iOS, and it's fantastic that you are so dedicated to making efficient incremental improvements.