Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequencer: Infinite Looper, midiSTEPs, modstep, or BeatHawk???

I already own modstep and Beathawk.

modstep was recommended to me as a step sequencer with bells and whistles.
So far, I did not use it.

But I read more recommendations: Infinite Looper and MidiSTEPs, as well as BeatHawk

Is still modstep the king in this regard?

Are there reasons to additionally get Infinite Looper and / or midiSTEPs?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Honestly, need more info on what you are trying to do. Modstep and BH are two very able sequencers. If they aren't working for you, then more info is needed to find one that does.

• Just buy the other two and be like most everyone else on the forum. Welcome to the club! Here's your pin.

• Modstep is very powerful - it has a fairly steep learning curve and some user interface issues that will hopefully be addressed in future versions (it could REALLY use an "undo" button, adding polyphony to the step sequencer would be nice), but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty good on its own as a pure MIDI sequencer. I still have issues using it in conjunction with other apps - for example, it still wont run in AB3 on my system as a MIDI generator. I think it has a ways to go to fulfill its promise, but I think it could get there with a couple of good updates.

• wimwim
    edited June 2017

If you want something you can also use on your phone, that rules out ModStep and MidiSteps. I'm still not certain whether I prefer Beathawk or Infinite Looper as a sequencer that I can use both on my phone and on my iPad. Both are great in different ways. There's always Beat Maker 2, though I've never gotten into it really.

If FL Studio Mobile ever gets midi-out put back in, that'll be a serious contender as well. I'm not holding my breath.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Honestly, need more info on what you are trying to do. Modstep and BH are two very able sequencers. If they aren't working for you, then more info is needed to find one that does.

I did not use modstep so far, having to learn many other apps :smiley:
    And BeatHawk I just got today.

I am interested in an allround sequencer / step sequencer app with lots of bells and whistles that can be used for everything so that I can concentrate on just one such App instead of many :blush:

• @aaronpc said:
    Just buy the other two and be like most everyone else on the forum. Welcome to the club! Here's your pin.

Hehehe, the dread AAS :wink:

Yes, may very well end so...

• wimwim
    edited June 2017

@tja said:
    I am interested in an allround sequencer / step sequencer app with lots of bells and whistles that can be used for everything so that I can concentrate on just one such App instead of many :blush:

Auria Pro (iPad only)

Maybe BeatMaker 3 ... if you're not to old to care by the time it comes out.

• Mhh.

That would mean, I need to check Auria Pro again...
    Did not like it at first moment, and it has no MIDI Out in AudioBus, for which I prefer Cubasis.

Thanks for the information!

Sad thing is: I found some money in my pocket and the AAS hit hard.... needed to re-arrange my Music page on the iPad

• edited June 2017

• edited June 2017

No, no, no. This is a music page (Thanks to AAS)

Some of these "folders" have multiple pages :( ;)

• You are not going to get one sequencer with all the bells and whistles.

I'd recommend 2. Beathawk for song arranging/ments. Xynthesizr for multiple outs and generative/randomizing features. Honestly it's the one I use the most.

As a third InfiniteLooper for recording MIDI from performances in other apps.

• This is a Gem... Dot Melody.

• I understand that Modstep is really liked on this forum, but I can't get past the horrible UI and the piano roll editor is atrocious. Since a large part of midi sequencing (for me, at least) is spent in the piano roll, that's what did it for me. Cubasis and GB have much better piano rolls.

• If Auria Pro had GB's piano-roll, Cubasis' drum kits, and was fully AB3 MIDI ready... it would be good. What I need is a good app geneticist to cross-breed these puppies.

• tjatja
    edited June 2017

Hehehe, so I am not alone :smiley:

I will check Xynthesizr, but Dot Melody does not seem to be my thing....
    EDIT: Xynthesizr was updated last in 2015.... this always makes me uneasy. Going to read the review on MAB

About the MANY Apps, I hope I can control myself to not also get there :wink:

But my wishlist of the AppStore is still long!!!
    Just based on what I read in this forum, what others like, recommend and use....

• @tja said:
    EDIT: Xynthesizr was updated last in 2015.... this always makes me uneasy. Going to read the review on MAB

An update to Xynthesizr is currently in beta. It fixes a couple of bugs and most importantly adds Ableton Link!

I'll say that Xynthesizr probably won't be the core sequencer that you use to build out full songs. It's strictly a pattern sequencer but has a couple of neat tricks:
    -Pattern transposition. I use use it in conjunction with ModStep, sending out transposition notes from ModStep to modulate what Xynthesizr is doing.
    -Randomization. You can select regions to randomize with various controls. You can go wild here, but if you're modest with the settings you can get something that slowly modulates in controlled ways.

The synth in Xynthesizr is basic, but that's actually what I like about it. For me Xynthesizr is the perfect middle-background instrument. Perfect for harmonies or counterpoint melodies. Not so "big" that it interferes with the foreground elements. Not so static that it disappears as background noise.

I use ModStep as the core of my iOS explorations, but Xynthsizr is used in just about everything I do.

• @audiblevideo said:
    No, no, no. This is a music page (Thanks to AAS)

Some of these "folders" have multiple pages :( ;)

Yes I just scoured your photo for things I might not have. Can you tell me what a few of the generators are?

There's Node Beat, Quincy, Robotic Drummer, (?), (?), (?), (?), Refraktions, and Steps. What are these four that look unfamiliar to me? Thanks.

• edited June 2017

@8BitSamurai said:
    I understand that Modstep is really liked on this forum, but I can't get past the horrible UI and the piano roll editor is atrocious. Since a large part of midi sequencing (for me, at least) is spent in the piano roll, that's what did it for me. Cubasis and GB have much better piano rolls.

For me, it's hands down the best piano roll on iOS and it's not even close. Once you get how the edit functions work, i find you can sketch midi so much faster than anywhere else

OP, between Modstep and Beathawk i'd say you're fully covered

• @oat_phipps poly necklace concentric Stravinski

Necklace and concentric prob shouldn't be there ;)
    As they aren't "random". They're just poly gemetric poly rhythm makers.

Poly itself isn't random it can just appear that way. That makes them more similar to different drummer and Oscilab.

• @jn2002dk said:

@8BitSamurai said:
    I understand that Modstep is really liked on this forum, but I can't get past the horrible UI and the piano roll editor is atrocious. Since a large part of midi sequencing (for me, at least) is spent in the piano roll, that's what did it for me. Cubasis and GB have much better piano rolls.

For me, it's hands down the best piano roll on iOS and it's not even close. Once you get how the edit functions work, i find you can sketch midi so much faster than anywhere else

No kidding? It was difficult for me to move around the screen without accidentally adding notes. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

• @8BitSamurai said:

@jn2002dk said:

@8BitSamurai said:

No kidding? It was difficult for me to move around the screen without accidentally adding notes. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

There is definitely a getting to know it period because it's different than most other iOS piano rolls but for me it was well worth it

• edited June 2017

@8BitSamurai said:

@jn2002dk said:

@8BitSamurai said:

You have to get used to using scroll bars for moving around and touching the grid for adding notes.....the natural thing you try and do is drag the grid around, which just adds notes....if you can get used to the scroll bars then all will be well ;)

• I just got midisteps. Very fun app, almost like having a keystep in app form. It crashes frequently though. IPad Air 2.

I'd love to see an option to divide a single step in two for easy sequence manipulation.

Essentially, what we all want is gadgets' wonderful sequencing but with midi out!

• @ion677 said:
    Essentially, what we all want is gadgets' wonderful sequencing but with midi out!

THIS! It's a shame that the best piano roll sequencer on iOS is locked away in it's own sandbox. I hope KORG at least releases a "host" Gadget that can host AU/IAA within the app.

• edited June 2017

Modstep is a front runner, but be sure to check out Genome.

• @ion677 said:
    I just got midisteps. Very fun app, almost like having a keystep in app form. It crashes frequently though. IPad Air 2.

It's like a keystep on steroids. Well, without the arpeggiator and CV and Clock hardware but yes, marvelous app, that. It's stable for me. Did you report that to Mr. Kerns?

I'd love to see an option to divide a single step in two for easy sequence manipulation.

Never thought of this. Lovely idea. Combine would be nice too. Thinking it would be particularly musical/fun if you could 'combine as new step'; imagine playing in a little riff of notes and then tapping 4 of them to create a new chord step to place elsewhere in the sequence (or on a separate sequence track).

• You might be interested in Noatikl (in the future replaced by Wotja, it seems). There's some haters around here, concerning the developer, but to me its hands down the most versatile midi generator anywhere. You need to live with the somehow weird approach of the UI, but when getting into it, it's veery rewarding. YMMV

• I am checking Wotja, looks quite interesting!
    Thanks ;-)

• Genome for iPad

Infinity for iPhone

ChordFLow (iPhone)and Fugue(iPad) for alternate uses of sequencing in a melodic way with multi channel manipulation.