Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Finally a sidechaining compressor AU. I hope Cubasis supports the AU inputs...

• @firejan82 said:
    Finally a sidechaining compressor AU. I hope Cubasis supports the AU inputs...

Is this supported by AUv3 official specs or is it something DDMF came up with on their own? Hopefully the former!

• edited May 2017

What is that? Yes, I know, it's not "Arturia". But what does it mean "2-channel version"?

http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple127/v4/dc/d8/20/dcd82034-b991-05fb-b967-571694004d21/sc552x414.jpeg

• edited May 2017

@realdavidai said:

@firejan82 said:

Is this supported by AUv3 official specs or is it something DDMF came up with on their own? Hopefully the former!

I guess it is something that is there in the AU sdk available for developers to implement. Like there's some useful IAA stuff that I have only seen Kymatica implementing in his apps.

So far I have tried Cubasis and Garageband and it doesn't seem to be there. Maybe I missed it. Next I'll try Modstep. Maybe I'll try Auria too but I can already sidechain compress in Auria with Pro C2...

• @Kranick this usually means that on a stereo channel-strip you can treat left and right channel independently from each other.In other words like 2 mono channels.

• @realdavidai said:

@firejan82 said:

Yes, it's in the AU specs, effect plugins can have more than 2 channels. Not sure which/how many AU hosts support this, though.

• edited May 2017

I have tried Cubasis, Auria, Modstep and AUM and no luck with the sidechaining. Might have to try to refund this unfortunately. I'm sure it's a great compressor app, I trialed the demo and it was pretty good, but the feature that was the main reason for the purchase doesn't seem to be supported by any of the host apps unless I'm missing how...

• Here's a screen shot:
    Can't offer any compressor expertise, but will note the Gain works really well. And using multiple instances seems a good way to apply more gradual compression - but look forward to what others write.

• @firejan82 said:
    I have tried Cubasis, Auria, Modstep and AUM and no luck with the sidechaining. Might have to try to refund this unfortunately. I'm sure it's a great compressor app, I trialed the demo and it was pretty good, but the feature that was the main reason for the purchase doesn't seem to be supported by any of the host apps unless I'm missing how...

Unless we can use the existence of it to help nudge the hosts forward? That's what I plan to do

• edited May 2017

Small gripe here, but what happened to this developer's app icons? They used to look kind of cool, and inform you of what they were, but now they are generic and honestly look like a mistake. In fact two of the apps have the same icon. :|

• edited May 2017

How taxing is it on resources?

• So, does it do sidechaining or not ? Anyone any luck? Demo video ?

• I'm also very curious whether you can do sidechain when using it as an AUv3. Also, i'm curious if there's any added latency when used in live playing?

• Yah!....... Not bad at all. Even better if you have DDMF NoLimits........

• @realdavidai said:

@firejan82 said:

Unless we can use the existence of it to help nudge the hosts forward? That's what I plan to do

Good luck! I'm sure it will eventually be supported by some hosts but I also know how long these things take and I'm afraid I lack the patience... I still hope someone tells us that it works and how.

• I will agree about the terrible app icons. Even though the older ones were bad too, at least they had the DDMF brand on them.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I will agree about the terrible app icons. Even though the older ones were bad too, at least they had the DDMF brand on them.

Agreed. I think a better approach could be to scale down the interface of the plugin and use that instead

• this might actually replace auria completely if it works. anyone manage to get sidechaining to work in AUM ?

• @Hansson said:
    So, does it do sidechaining or not ? Anyone any luck? Demo video ?

@theartwebreathe said:
    I'm also very curious whether you can do sidechain when using it as an AUv3. Also, i'm curious if there's any added latency when used in live playing?

@firejan82 said:

@realdavidai said:

@firejan82 said:

Good luck! I'm sure it will eventually be supported by some hosts but I also know how long these things take and I'm afraid I lack the patience... I still hope someone tells us that it works and how.

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    this might actually replace auria completely if it works. anyone manage to get sidechaining to work in AUM ?

Re: sidechaining, it uses an internal sidechain with 3 filter types, frequency and Q adjustments. No external sidechain input can be found anywhere on the premises. Hopefully that will come at some point in an update.

That aside, it's a nice compressor to have in the AU arsenal. Where it shines IMO is in M/S mode (below). You can dramatically effect / enhance the stereo width of your source material using this mode. Also effective for general compression housekeeping, sample cleanup, drum break smashing, etc. And, as its name suggests, it's quite effective at parallel compression duties.

• @brice said:

@Hansson said:
    So, does it do sidechaining or not ? Anyone any luck? Demo video ?

@theartwebreathe said:
    I'm also very curious whether you can do sidechain when using it as an AUv3. Also, i'm curious if there's any added latency when used in live playing?

@firejan82 said:

@realdavidai said:

@firejan82 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    this might actually replace auria completely if it works. anyone manage to get sidechaining to work in AUM ?

Re: sidechaining, it uses an internal sidechain with 3 filter types, frequency and Q adjustments. No external sidechain input can be found anywhere on the premises. Hopefully that will come at some point in an update.

That aside, it's a nice compressor to have in the AU arsenal. Where it shines IMO is in M/S mode (below). You can dramatically effect / enhance the stereo width of your source material using this mode. Also effective for general compression housekeeping, sample cleanup, drum break smashing, etc. And, as its name suggests, it's quite effective at parallel compression duties.

ok. guess i'll pass then. thanks for testing it out for me :)

• @1P18 said:
    Small gripe here, but what happened to this developer's app icons? They used to look kind of cool, and inform you of what they were, but now they are generic and honestly look like a mistake. In fact two of the apps have the same icon. :|

Usually in audio production what something looks like means little but I agree with the DDMF's icons. At least the Neve inspired EQ 6144 still has a decent icon, but the Envelope reverb and the newer limiter & now compressor have really generic ones.

Yeah it's an extremely small issue in the big picture, but I think some potential customers​ may see the icons & equate their cheap appearance with the apps quality. Plus I'd want the apps I made to have a cool icon, it being such a basic identifier.

I'm mulling this one over (no, nothing to do with the icon) because as much of a cool compressor this app appears to be I have Auria Pro with Pro-C2 which is really all the compressor I usually need. We'll see...

• Multi-bus AUv3 support in AUM is on my todo, but so far I know of no AU that uses it (which makes sense when no host supports it). AUFX:Push will, when I make an AU of it..

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Multi-bus AUv3 support in AUM is on my todo, but so far I know of no AU that uses it (which makes sense when no host supports it). AUFX:Push will, when I make an AU of it..

^ I enjoy the hell out of these sentences. Particularly the 2nd of the two.

• @JRSIV said:

@1P18 said:

Usually in audio production what something looks like means little...

It actually makes a difference in AUM, where the effects icons are on full view on the main screen. The icon is the only real indicator of what the app is, so having two apps with the same icon is a problem.

Yeah I guess technically that still means little, but it's an easy fix too.

• @1P18 said:

@JRSIV said:

@1P18 said:

Usually in audio production what something looks like means little...

It actually makes a difference in AUM, where the effects icons are on full view on the main screen. The icon is the only real indicator of what the app is, so having two apps with the same icon is a problem.

Yeah I guess technically that still means little, but it's an easy fix too.

Fully agree. If you make heavy use of AUM then you become acutely aware of app icons. I'm not opposed to the simplicity of DDMF 's latest app icons, I find it refreshing in large sessions. But some clearer distinction would go a long way. NoLimits and Envelope use the exact same icon. Thankfully this compressor is at least a different color.

And I'm not sure where this myth came from that in audio production the way something looks means very little! @JRSIV The way something looks translates directly to how you interact with that thing. And when you spend 12 straight hours interacting with that thing, and other things like it, the way it looks is actually very important. If you don't believe me, open Korg's Polysix plugin on a 5K iMac and then try and program a sound. It adds up! B)

• Personally I couldn't give two hoots about the icon.

• @gusgranite said:
    Personally I couldn't give two hoots about the icon.

I could lend you some hoots......

• @gusgranite said:

when you pay money for something you expect what you pay for. I paid for my app icons not to look the exact same so I can tell the difference. but I get you its such a small thing to complain about lol the apps are dope a s shit too

• @Shazamm said:

@gusgranite said:

when you pay money for something you expect what you pay for. I paid for my app icons not to look the exact same so I can tell the difference. but I get you its such a small thing to complain about lol the apps are dope a s shit too

OK I didn't realise that two have apps have exactly the SAME icon (Envelope AU and No Limits AU). That's surely an oversight that I agree should be fixed...

Otherwise I don't care about the icon design is what I mean.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more use reports from these apps.