Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord updated to 2.5.3 - now with rests

The new release adds a new shiny icon, musical rests and a few enhancements related to QuNexus support for the LED Scale Guide. Enjoy!

• Musical rests
  • LED Scale Guide improvements for QuNexus (special thanks to @Carnbot !)
  • New icon
  • Stability improvements

Comments

• Great update! Thanks!

• Great update thanks Denis :)

• Strange that I never noticed the absence of pause before now.

There's either a bad joke or a good poem in there somewhere.

• I love this app. Period.

• Nice, I needed a rest.

(Coat)

• Great app but please can now we have Copy and Paste for any chord-pad ?

it would make editing complex chords such as ones with inversions much quicker to enter.

• Some more suggestions. I'm into harmonies of people like Vaughn Williams so thought i'd use the nice "inversion" system in Navichord to enter some chords found in some of his pieces. They are inversions in the low end of the register.

I found I could do this - but the trouble is - there is no sense of voice leading so after entering one chord witih notes at the bottom range octve wise - and then begin on another next to it - all the notes just default to the standard range - TWO OCTAVES above where my last chord was !

so the chord - starts off too high. It would be a real help if Navichord can take a clue from the range of the LAST chord entered and when entering a new chord - continue in the same range.

• Lastly .... I think the nomenclature used for your chord entry system is kind of wrong and a little annoying -

What I mean by this is that you have all dominant 7th chords under the category of "Maj" .

Now although this is technically kind of right - it is confusing for those who already understand chords.

It would be far better to seperate dominant chord typed out ( often written just as 7/9/13 etc ) out as DOMINANT.

So the second "type selector" wheel should read:

maj
    min
    dom7
    sus2
    sus4
    aug
    dim

For example currenctly i could select B and then maj and then 7 from the "wheels" but whereas it reads out as Maj 7 on the iPad screen - it actually plays as DOMINANT 7. This is confusing.

Type a message...

• Hi @nonchai, thanks. Great to see feedback!

Please find some workarounds below:

1) Copy and Paste: play a pad, then use the (+) button to assign the same chord to a new pad.

2) all the notes just default to the standard range - TWO OCTAVES : chord picker is using octave selection from the grid view. Go back to the grid and lower the octave on the sidebar. Pads are designed to be an extension of the grid.

3) I was thinking about extending chords without having a 4th row, having dom7 could be a solution. Can you list all extensions of dom7 that makes sense for the app?

• edited May 2017

sure:

sus7 ( or 7 sus )

..... then... ahem.... there are all the "altereds" ( for the jazzers )

7+ ( or 7 #5 )
    7 b9

and tons more.......

but tbh i think just my first four suggested would be most commonly used ( in pop,rock,rnb etc )

• edited May 2017

7(#9) Should be in there too, I think.

• Chordbot has the most exhaustive chord choices of these type of apps, would be fantastic if you could do the same for Navichord.

• edited May 2017

One new major feature suggestion for chord types:

Currently for simple Major or Minor chord types ( ones without a 7th in it ) only 3 note TRIAD forms for Maj or Minor is available - ( and inversions ) are available. But in fact often recently i've wanted to do 4 note versions of simple triad forms - with the root an octave above etc.
    So it would be good to have the option to have 4 notes available for simple major and minor chords in order to do this.
    It allows one to do more interesting open-voicings.

I'v been able sometimes to simulate this by reordering notes in different chords to achieve the desired voicing but this isn't always possible and its a bit awkward. Better would just be the option of entering 4-note MAJ or MIN triad chords...

Cheers.

• @Munibeast said:
    7(#9) Should be in there too, I think.

Agreed. but the whole way chords are chosen could do with simplifying.

Some kind of chord-grid that allows one to select a ROOT and CHORD TYPE with a single finger-click would be cool.

• edited May 2017

@nonchai , I thought choosing from multiple columns is easier than from one big list.

• i like it the way it is.

• < I thought choosing from multiple columns is easier than from one big list.>

for sure - when i wrote "one-finger-click" I was thinking of something a little cleverer than picking from a huge list.

One could get it down to two most of the time- with an extra click for less common chords... this is somethig ive often thougt about wrt some software of my own that i worked on many many years ago.

• @nonchai said:
    Lastly .... I think the nomenclature used for your chord entry system is kind of wrong and a little annoying -

What I mean by this is that you have all dominant 7th chords under the category of "Maj" .

Now although this is technically kind of half-right - it is confusing for those who already understand chords.

It would be far better to seperate dominant chord typed out ( often written just as 7/9/13 etc ) out as DOMINANT.

So the second "type selector" wheel should read:

maj
    min
    dom7
    sus2
    sus4
    aug
    dim

For example currenctly i could select B and then maj and then 7 from the "wheels" but whereas it reads out as Maj 7 on the iPad screen - it actually plays as DOMINANT 7. This is confusing.

Type a message...

• @nonchai said:

sure:

sus7 ( or 7 sus )

..... then... ahem.... there are all the "altereds" ( for the jazzers )

7+ ( or 7 #5 )
    7 b9

and tons more.......

but tbh i think just my first four suggested would be most commonly used ( in pop,rock,rnb etc )

I'm not an expert, I would appreciate if you could post a full list of chords you would like to see under dom7, this would help a lot :)

• edited May 2017

Thats a tall order - a "Big ask" ! as there are lots of them. But typically jazzers don't need the exact voicing.

A full list can be found here but i would limit the number when it comes to the altereds. There is some duplication - since a b5 is identical to a #11 etc. One really doesnt need all of these spelled out.

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_chordlist.htm

• edited May 2017

But for dominants heres MY list culled out of the above :

C7,
    C9,
    C13,
    C7sus,
    C13sus

ALTEREDS: ALTERED ( or ALT ) is a dominant with any of 9,5, 13 flattened or raised by semitone. But the MOST altered is C7 b9 #9 b5 b13

C7 b9,
    C7b13,
    C13b9,
    C7 b13 b9 ,
    c7 b5,
    C13 b5

• edited May 2017

For modern jazz and fusion one has to include ( under Major ) - Maj7 #5 too

( this is found in a mode of the melodic scale )

• @nonchai , many thanks> @nonchai said:

But for dominants heres MY list culled out of the above :

C7,
    C9,
    C13,
    C7sus,
    C13sus

ALTEREDS: ALTERED ( or ALT ) is a dominant with any of 9,5, 13 flattened or raised by semitone. But the MOST altered is C7 b9 #9 b5 b13

C7 b9,
    C7b13,
    C13b9,
    C7 b13 b9 ,
    c7 b5,
    C13 b5

Many thanks. I'll add them in near future.

Here is the sorted list as I see it:

C7,
    C7 b5, altered
    C7 b9, altered
    C7 b13, altered
    C7 b13 b9 , altered
    C7 sus,
    C9,
    C13,
    C13 b5, altered
    C13 b9, altered
    C13 sus

• Don't forget 7#9, 7#9/13, 7#9b13, 7#9#11...

• Maybe we should have a user section in the chord selector somehow, where you can enter the exact notes for the voicing and save with a self chosen name?

• @Munibeast said:
    Don't forget 7#9, 7#9/13, 7#9b13, 7#9#11...

Sure, let me make a final list and share here for community approval ;)

@Munibeast said:
    Maybe we should have a user section in the chord selector somehow, where you can enter the exact notes for the voicing and save with a self chosen name?

I prefer to add chords on request as it brings value to all users.

• @nonchai said:
    Thats a tall order - a "Big ask" ! as there are lots of them. But typically jazzers don't need the exact voicing.

A full list can be found here but i would limit the number when it comes to the altereds. There is some duplication - since a b5 is identical to a #11 etc. One really doesnt need all of these spelled out.

http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_chordlist.htm

Great source of information, thank you.

• edited May 2017

just one thing more - normally - chord naming -wise you only put the "alt" or "altered" when you just want to leave it up to the player to choose his voicing knowing that its an "altered" chord ( which basically means the notes come out of the altered scale ( a mode of melodic minor - also known as super locrian )

So one wouldnt write :

C7 b5, altered
    C7 b9, altered
    C7 b13, altered
    C7 b13 b9 , altered
    C13 b5, altered
    C13 b9, altered

it would be:

C7 b5
    C7 b9
    C7 b13
    C7 b13 b9
    C13 b5
    C13 b9

OR...

C7 alt or C9 alt

because the alt signals to the player that its an altered dominant - its kind of up to the player - say pianist - as to whether they want to do - just say a C7 b13 * ( also written as C7+ ) or something much much more altered - say C7 b13, b9,b5,#9.

hope this helps.

For your app you also have to bear in mind that far as i know - you only support 4 note chords. that limits you to the voicings - so many of these alterd chord names simply couldnt apply.

For a real player - or - say the advanced arranger BandInABox has sophisticated algorithms to work out hot to interpret the chords on a chart. Sometimes the chord chart requires a very specific voicing - but sometimes its just left to the player.

So for example in the famous jazz RealBook - you will find many cases of just C7 or C7b9 or C7alt.

but its implied to the musician that they then elaborate as they wish - so a C7b9 on the page becomes played as C7 b13 b9 or something else

Hope this doesnt do your head in. Theres tons of wikipedia articles on this - so maybe best just to read up a little

or better still - wait until other "pro" musicians here pipe in :)

Good luck

• @nonchai thank you. Added to the development list.

• I was playing some more with chords that have 4+ notes in them. As mentioned before - its a shame that when one wants to copy the chord to a new block and then just transpose it to a new key - by just selecting a different root - form the scroller - currently NC messes up the voicing.

It would be good it something could be done about this - since i often want to take a voicing i have - copy to a new block and simply transpose it.