Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TheAudioDabbler | BeatHawk Workflow Demo Quick Beat Song Mode

BeatHawk is growing on me the more I play with it. Especially the song mode.

Also switched up my intro a bit. Adding a little teasing clip, then intro(changed the music), then into the video.

Comments

• Good stuff. Recording patterns on the fly in Song mode is also pretty fun. You can turn mutes on and off as you go and make some pretty interesting break combos in much less time than other solutions.

• I'm still learning on BH (it's growing on me) so this was very helpful. Picked up a couple of good tips. Thanks, Mitch!

• @aaronpc said:
    Good stuff. Recording patterns on the fly in Song mode is also pretty fun. You can turn mutes on and off as you go and make some pretty interesting break combos in much less time than other solutions.

Can you go into a bit more depth by what you mean "on the fly"? Do you mean that you throw a bunch of the same pattern and then hit the mutes as you go to mess with different patterns of breaks?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:
    Good stuff. Recording patterns on the fly in Song mode is also pretty fun. You can turn mutes on and off as you go and make some pretty interesting break combos in much less time than other solutions.

Can you go into a bit more depth by what you mean "on the fly"? Do you mean that you throw a bunch of the same pattern and then hit the mutes as you go to mess with different patterns of breaks?

Yup. I don't use it in a live situation, but just being able to (quickly) mute things per pattern as you're staring at it/looking at it, is brilliant workflow. Really helps with changing things up/making shape and structure etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:

Yup. I don't use it in a live situation, but just being able to (quickly) mute things per pattern as you're staring at it/looking at it, is brilliant workflow. Really helps with changing things up/making shape and structure etc.

Ah yes, got it. Subtractive composition.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:

Ah yes, got it. Subtractive composition.

I can't decide if I'm all

or all

• Good video, Mitch. I am persuaded to re-download this and the packs I bought, and have another dabble.

• lol, @JohnnyGoodyear. Fancy pants, for sure!

Now I'm getting a good idea of why you like the BH workflow. It's an efficient way to work, for sure.

• Nice, great video!

• edited May 2017

@lukesleepwalker said:

@aaronpc said:

If you have a project with a lot of patterns, go into Song Mode, press Record and Play and just start pressing the pattern buttons. It records them as you go. I misspoke about the mutes, but it does seem to record extra hits if you press the Song mode's pads while you record. Still figuring it out.

EDIT: It actually does log muting into the timeline as you record, and gives you little markers and pad layouts too. Pretty slick, although there's no way to go back in and edit the results, except by overdubbing.

In other news, is anyone successfully using the Record function (the mic icon in the Track tab) to get a live sample onto a pad? It's not working on either of my devices. There is no incoming signal as near as I can tell, and it's causing crashes. I was hoping to record my little Casio and it's getting me nowhere.

• edited May 2017

Okay, got it installed again, and finally got my previous purchases downloaded. These guys still don't make that easy, and the process is flaky.

Now thinking a spending a few quid in the sale....and gambling that this time I'll get on a whole lot better with the app. Also, that they've sorted out the bug that turned the app silent every time IOS was updated, requiring deleting and time consuming reinstalling of app and packs.

EDIT

Hey Mitch. Definitely getting those packs. Using the workflow you demoed, I finally 'get' this app, and am having a whole lot of fun. More importantly, I'm getting a result that I think I can work with. So, thanks again.

Grrrrr, one irritation remains; no way to demote factory EDM.

• Thanks everyone. @aaronpc I have no issues with recording onto a pad with my iConnectAudio4+

@Zen210507 yes, I wish all apps gave you the ability to delete factory samples.

Also figured out that it responds to midi cc for transport.

• @gmslayton said:
    Thanks everyone. @aaronpc I have no issues with recording onto a pad with my iConnectAudio4+

Just fixed it. It was some sort of bug. I went into Audio/Midi Preferences, set Device from iOS to None, then back again, and now it works. Strange. Even stranger is that it was happening on both of my devices the same way.

• @gmslayton said:
    Thanks everyone. @aaronpc I have no issues with recording onto a pad with my iConnectAudio4+

@Zen210507 yes, I wish all apps gave you the ability to delete factory samples.

Also figured out that it responds to midi cc for transport.

That's a great tip, thanks. Any chance the "undo" button is controllable by MIDI CC?

• @lukesleepwalker Not that I could find. I tried every midi cc message and it seemed that those were the only 3 that responded.

• edited May 2017

@gmslayton said:
    @lukesleepwalker Not that I could find. I tried every midi cc message and it seemed that those were the only 3 that responded.

Drat. That would be really, really helpful. The audio loopers all have some kind of undo function for live players. Most of the MIDI loopers do not, and it's a drag. And no MIDI learn, right?

• @lukesleepwalker It has midi learn but only for certain options. ADSR for each pad, gain pad, hp filter, lo filter, reverb, delay sends and master volume.

I did send UVI an email about more midi learn options like repeat and changing the grid. Maybe if we bombard them with requests they will comply.

• Great App, thanks for the video... and the quick tip..

• I don't remember where I got it, probably on the forums here somewhere, but I've been running a Quneo template with those mapped out for a while. Sorry to say the template doesn't illuminate anything beyond this. I would like a way to Mute, Clear and Select pads without leaving the controller, in addition to undo.

• @aaronpc said:
    I don't remember where I got it, probably on the forums here somewhere, but I've been running a Quneo template with those mapped out for a while. Sorry to say the template doesn't illuminate anything beyond this. I would like a way to Mute, Clear and Select pads without leaving the controller, in addition to undo.

Yep, mute/clear/select would be next on my list. I wonder if UVI realizes how close they are to creating a really useful universal iOS device live tool if they could add just a few more MIDI controller options... Maybe BM3 will make this all a moot point, but BH is so close to being "that tool" that it's tantalizing.