Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WTFKnobs iM1 DWGS - my new video using LumaFusion

What The Fuck Do Those Knobs Do? Korg's iM1 and the DWGS waves.

This explains the origin (in my opinion) of the DWGS waves in many Korg synths, including the iM1. I used iM1, Fugue Machine, MC Oscilloscope (which crashes 100% consistently when connected to Lightning to QuickTime to record video with, so I used previous audiobus connected screenshots) and of course, AudioBus.

Lighting was two Aputure 528W lights; camera was Sony RX10 (had to set it to its foreign frame rate, to match the ipad video); mic was Sony ECM-S959c; iPad video grabbed in QuickTime through Lightning. RX10 video top&tailed, converted and exported on Mac. All editing, compositing and video making was on the iPad Pro in LumaFusion.

Subscribe, favourite and pass it around, thanks.

Comments

• Nice vid matey.

• Wow, so good.

impressed.

• Cool stuph!

• thanks, appreciate it.

• Great stuff Ian. Well presented as usual, informative, and very interesting.

• Thanks, all. It had long occurred to me that the DWGS waves in Korg digital synths were poorly understood, mysterious and seemingly useless (when faced against full actual longer duration real-world samples, let alone multi-samples). However, people still happily use modern analogue-style synths that only offer square and sawtooth, for example, so at least by using the DWGS stock of waves, you've got that much of a wider gamut of choice in your 'ordinary' synthesis.

• Excellent detective work and explanation.

• @u0421793 said:
    It had long occurred to me that the DWGS waves in Korg digital synths were poorly understood, mysterious and seemingly useless (when faced against full actual longer duration real-world samples, let alone multi-samples).

Those 'DWGS Waves' served as a solid inspiration/foundation for sample-based chip-music on the Amiga where it became popular to 'draw' the custom waves by hand, usually 8-256 8-bit samples in a loop.

Single-cycle waves and with some creative sequencing/chaining with pitch (controlled by step-sequencer) and an envelope to control volume is a pretty neat way to create new sounds. And well that's where the iWavestation comes in :)

• As a metalhead, a lot of what you said should have gone right over my head. Yet, somehow, for the most part, it did not. Thanks to you, I now feel like I know one or two things about digital synthesis. No more, just one or two, but it used to be zero :smile:

"Can I stop smiling now?" - LOL, was it torture?

• Thanks.

It was a bit of a reference to this:

• Just a quick mention (not really worth a whole new topic for it) that if you're following my WTFKnobs series on YouTube the one I put up today was done on LumaFusion on the iPad but has nothing to do with iPad synths. Just to warn you.

(Camera was Sony RX10 using the MP4 format feature, which gives MP4 readable by lumafusion (it can't handle the higher bitrate avchd or xavc directly) but as it is 1440x1080 it confused lumafusion which 'boxed it in' smaller with a big black surround. I didn't do anything about it except make the titles fit around it. Probably a bug, but I lived with it. Mic was an external Sony ECM-MS907 I had to repair the other month, works well now, and the lighting was rainy grim daylight (white balanced on the white card behind me, exposure +1.7) (and another sheet of white foamcore pegged to a light stand beside my face as a reflector).

A Future Future Web Dev Language

• Oh, forgot to mention - in LumaFusion I detached the audio, sent it to Final Touch (a suitable preset), and also sent it to iMusicAlbum Audio Mastering and chose the latter, and sent the result back to LumaFusion. I used the Vocal preset on Audio Mastering, which doesn't even turn on the compressor and yet sounds perfectly suitable for the task.

• Is DWGS waves the approach taken for the waveforms in Nanostudio's onboard synth (I'm referring to their more eccentric waveforms such as Oboe, etc)