Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Earhoof :)

In another recent thread that was looking for new demo video suggestions, several mentioned Earhoof. I know this has been around forever, and I've had it for a good while too. But, I only ever really used it's presets with a few parameter tweaks. Mess around for a little while, then put it away.

I thought it was so strange that it must be difficult to wrangle it's back-end. Not so! It's surprisingly straight forward and easy to get wrap your head around. I went through the manual completely (only took about an hour) and hadn't realized how much control you have over the sequences and layers. AND, that you can import in your own samples to use, as well as record a performance, and or your live sequence patterns. Awesome!

This is such an interesting and unique app that doesn't get mentioned often enough. Or, maybe it's just been around so long that many have forgotten it. In any case, I can't put it down now. Can't think of another app quite like it either.

I rewatched a demo video by the Pants of Death dude. I think his demo videos are my personal favorites out of all of them. You get to see him find his way through and he gets to the point. By the end of his videos I always know exactly what the app does, how I might use it, and I've got a good understanding for how to get started on my own. It was the Pants of Death video that originally sold me on the seemingly intimidating Dhalang MG video.

Here's his Earhoof video that pretty much covers most of the app including the backend custom stuff. Though, I don't recall if he goes through being able to record performance and/or recording of your layer sequences vs entering them manually.

Comments

• Thanks for the reminder! This is a truly unique one that sadly doesn't get the use it probably should by me.

(Sidenote: I went down a Yellowfier rabbit hole the other night and got hours of new sample pack material. Not to sidestep the focus on Earhoof here, but Yellowfier is another one of those often forgotten apps from yesteryear that, when I dive back into makes me think...why the hell am I not using this thing every day!?)

• Hate it. Bought it on release and never understood what I could do with it, or why others seemed to love it so much. Sorry.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Hate it. Bought it on release and never understood what I could do with it, or why others seemed to love it so much. Sorry.

• edited May 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    Hate it. Bought it on release and never understood what I could do with it, or why others seemed to love it so much. Sorry.

No apology needed, but I'm surprised. If I may... although I found it intriguing from the start, I never got into it as the playable instrument it is. Thought it was fun, but kept my interest for about 10-15mins tops.

What changed for me, was using it in a different way. First, by using my own samples and adjusting all of the parameters for pitch, delay, etc. on the back end, as well as where the sample gets triggered.

It helped me to use just one sample at a time out of the total 5 possible.

Then, focus on just the 4 sequence layers with just the one sample. It was even easier when I made a test sample of me saying a word (so that I could hear exactly what it was doing to the sound).

Once I got the one sample and layered sequences set, you could stick with just that, or add in another sample, Eventually building something interesting that you could either lock-in playing constant, or use the play surface.

To each their own obviously, but do almost get the aversion at first... as a "playable" instrument. But, for weird sequential compositions, that are layered AND can ultimately be played... it's very useful and unique.

You may be more of the "Play something" sort (more than I am at least) but I think it's worth revisiting. It was for me. :)

• @skiphunt said:

@MonzoPro said:

No apology needed, but I'm surprised. If I may... although I found it intriguing from the start, I never got into it as the playable instrument it is. Thought it was fun, but kept my interest for about 10-15mins tops.

What changed for me, was using it in a different way. First, by using my own samples and adjusting all of the parameters for pitch, delay, etc. on the back end, as well as where the sample gets triggered.

It helped me to use just one sample at a time out of the total 5 possible.

Then, focus on just the 4 sequence layers with just the one sample. It was even easier when I made a test sample of me saying a word (so that I could hear exactly what it was doing to the sound).

Once I got the one sample and layered sequences set, you could stick with just that, or add in another sample, Eventually building something interesting that you could either lock-in playing constant, or use the play surface.

To each their own obviously, but do almost get the aversion at first... as a "playable" instrument. But, for weird sequential compositions, that are layered AND can ultimately be played... it's very useful and unique.

You may be more of the "Play something" sort (more than I am at least) but I think it's worth revisiting. It was for me. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I did try loading in samples and experimenting but it didn't click, but since my new app buying has stalled I might revisit it and give it another whirl.

• @MonzoPro said:

You don't have to apologize. It's pretty abstract.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Thanks for the explanation. I did try loading in samples and experimenting but it didn't click, but since my new app buying has stalled I might revisit it and give it another whirl.

That's actually a great point. Those of us who have accumulated a fair few can find fun on any Friday having a fiddle with forgotten things from before...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's actually a great point. Those of us who have accumulated a fair few can find fun on any Friday having a fiddle with forgotten things from before...

I've had a few revelations doing this - Nave for example has hideen depths I didn't know about. On my list for future rediscovery are Mitosynth, TC 11/Data, Fieldscaper and probably a few others not on the pad at the moment, that haven't had the attention they probably deserve.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I've had a few revelations doing this - Nave for example has hideen depths I didn't know about. On my list for future rediscovery are Mitosynth, TC 11/Data, Fieldscaper and probably a few others not on the pad at the moment, that haven't had the attention they probably deserve.

I LOVE Fieldscaper now, didnt dig it as much at first. It really shines as a psychedelic freakout tool with recording 3 different gibberish vocal phrases into the oscillators and playing around with the different presets. Get it going and then run it over Reslice playing a glitchy beat!

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I LOVE Fieldscaper now, didnt dig it as much at first. It really shines as a psychedelic freakout tool with recording 3 different gibberish vocal phrases into the oscillators and playing around with the different presets. Get it going and then run it over Reslice playing a glitchy beat!

Yeah I've had it running in AUM with iDensity, Reslice, Borderlands and Audiostretch all running at once for a full wig-out soundscape fest in the past. Didn't have a clue what I was doing with it though - it was all pretty random - so need to learn how to use it properly :)

• edited May 2017

Cool one of a kind app, somewhat under-utilised on my part.
    Just haven't put the hours in.

• @Paul16 said:

Agree, I should dig into it more.

I know it's a silly point but portrait only also puts me off, it shouldn't be an excuse but it kills my workflow. Figure is about the only app I tolerate because it's Figure.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Paul16 said:

I know it's a silly point but portrait only also puts me off, it shouldn't be an excuse but it kills my workflow. Figure is about the only app I tolerate because it's Figure.

Fair point. Probably the reason I haven't used it as much as I might. For all that it's one the few apps (from its layout and design) where I can kinda see why.

• Great app.

However with the portrait only view this would get much more usage from me if it were universal.

Especially with the larger real estate on phones these days.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

love it :)

• Yes, needs Link :)

• edited May 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Yes, needs Link :)

Yeah, that would really be something and I agree with @SpookyZoo as regards putting it on the phone, would make a lot of sense (even for some of us generally-not-phone users).

• great app. it takes a little digging into, but can be really fun
    once you figure it out.

• Earhoof....it's.....hmmmm... removed long time ago for the same reason as @MonzoPro.
    Will give it a second change tonight and hopefully have a nicer (I know what im doing) experience.

• By the way, I realise it's not a case of just simply "porting it for the phone".

Likely difficult to monetise too. Folks don't like separate apps. Perhaps new features via iap?

Completely understand if dev sticks to just iPad version though.

The app actually has very cool midi features to control ranges of playing area etc. A lot of fun!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Those of us who have accumulated a fair few can find fun on any Friday having a fiddle with forgotten things from before...

Holy alliiteration Batman. Hey Johnny any chance we can get a thread of just your photo memes?

• @juanconcho said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Those of us who have accumulated a fair few can find fun on any Friday having a fiddle with forgotten things from before...

Holy alliiteration Batman. Hey Johnny any chance we can get a thread of just your photo memes?

Ah, don't think so, without context they're mostly lame. They're punchline material really; no preceding gag no good....

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Paul16 said:

Portrait is always a PITA