Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 2 almost unusable after updating iOS

Comments

• edited May 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    It's likely I'll now stop updating the iOS on my Air 2 (before they cripple that one as well).

If only there were a way to stop crApple's invasive and incessant nagging about updates.* :neutral:

*other than keeping the device disconnected from WIFI at all times.

• @asnor said:

@MonzoPro said:
    It's likely I'll now stop updating the iOS on my Air 2 (before they cripple that one as well).

If only there were a way to stop crApple's invasive and incessant nagging about updates.* :neutral:

*other than keeping the device disconnected from WIFI at all times.

If only there were a way to run apps that require an Internet connection, without connecting to the internet*

• many thanks for your input
  • edited May 2017

@MonzoPro said:

@rarien said:

But I'm not sure why people constantly forget that they're updating a computer.
    Undesirable side effects can happen when updating computers. We rather have it not be our computers that we paid good money for to acquire something negative to happen to it.

That's not always the case though.

My Windows PC is about 8 years old, and still on Windows V7. I'd neglected to update it for ages, so with the new ransomware spread in mind, ran a load of updates yesterday.

Switched it back on - everything works, security and everything else bang up to date.

Hardware wise, I checked out new replacements by the same company over the weekend, and the spec has hardly changed. For £1300 I'd get a 20% speed increase I don't need, and be on Windows 10, which I don't want.

But Microsoft are allowing me to keep an old computer up to date and secure, for free. All my new and old software and external hardware works perfectly.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I follow Microsoft/ Windows news more than I follow Apple news sometimes (because of work) and... Microsoft would love to force you to update to Windows 10 it's just not able to do it the way Apple does but it's getting there. In their own way they are crippling Windows 7-8 already specially when it comes to installing it on new hardware, mainstream support hs ended for both OS except for major security risks when Microsoft its forced to release a patch. Plus the whole "upgrade to Windows 10" thing when it was released, it was basically forcing to upgrade.

Also there's no way (that I'm aware of) of cancelling Windows 10 updates, you might delay it, that's all.

I agreed to this: I have an old Toshiba (a company in so much trouble right now...) laptop with an AMD cpu (that's not supported anymore) and Windows 7 ( which still gets updates every now and then... Not as much as Windows 10 for sure, more like 10% the number of updates Windows 10 gets.) but now that the forced free upgrade its over, its easy to keep it at 7 as long as you're careful and 3rd party apps still support my configuration for the most part.

• @MonzoPro said:
    If only there were a way to run apps that require an Internet connection, without connecting to the internet*

• many thanks for your input

Not really helpful, I know; more of ventfull jab at apple.

• I tried using the iMS20 last night and it was fine - a bit slower but still usable. Weird. The things most affected seem to be directly related to iOS itself - using the web browser, typing on the keyboard, accessing the store etc.

Not helpful to Monzo Jnr as he needs to type, but the Korg synth seems to have resisted their assault.

• edited May 2017

@MonzoPro said:
    I tried using the iMS20 last night and it was fine - a bit slower but still usable. Weird. The things most affected seem to be directly related to iOS itself - using the web browser, typing on the keyboard, accessing the store etc.

Not helpful to Monzo Jnr as he needs to type, but the Korg synth seems to have resisted their assault.

It makes sense... the CPU hasn't gotten slower, it's the OS that has grown heavier. While you're using iMS20 the OS isn't doing much so it should still run more or less the same as always. But when you're using OS-related services, such as the keyboard, network, image handling, typographical libraries, multitasking, etc you'll notice the iPad struggling with today's system loads.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I tried using the iMS20 last night and it was fine - a bit slower but still usable. Weird. The things most affected seem to be directly related to iOS itself - using the web browser, typing on the keyboard, accessing the store etc.

It makes sense... the CPU hasn't gotten slower, it's the OS that has grown heavier. While you're using iMS20 the OS isn't doing much so it should still run more or less the same as always. But when you're using OS-related services, such as the keyboard, network, image handling, typographical libraries, multitasking, etc you'll notice the iPad struggling with today's system loads.

Ah ok that makes sense. Monzo Jnr will have to ditch his coding ambitions and become the next Gary Numan instead.

• If I do Jailbreak I could ever go back to IOS 7? I did a search, but as not mastered the English language, I was a little confused. It seems that I would have saved some files shsh blobs version to which I want to come back.

• edited May 2017

@Santosgera said:
    If I do Jailbreak I could ever go back to IOS 7? I did a search, but as not mastered the English language, I was a little confused. It seems that I would have saved some files shsh blobs version to which I want to come back.

Apparently you need the signature files (shsh blobs?) and they are device specific. So, if you didn't save them, you are s.o.l.

• @Santosgera said:
    If I do Jailbreak I could ever go back to IOS 7? I did a search, but as not mastered the English language, I was a little confused. It seems that I would have saved some files shsh blobs version to which I want to come back.

Unless you actually made a backup of the shsh blob i believe it's impossible to downgrade to a previous iOS version

• Thanks!
    I will continue searching.

• I reset my ipad 2 back to factory settings (running 9.3.5) and it runs much better

• I don't take issue with them improving their OS ecosystem etc they're ultimately for the benefit of the end user but Apple shouldn't allow old devices that they clearly know are going to struggle, to be updated.
    They're kind of doing it but if @MonzoPro 's experience is anything to go by then probably the window should be narrower.

Then inabitabily they'd have a storm in a tea cup of users complaining they have been cut out of the update ladder. Lose lose situation.

• edited May 2017

@supadom said:
    I don't take issue with them improving their OS ecosystem etc they're ultimately for the benefit of the end user but Apple shouldn't allow old devices that they clearly know are going to struggle, to be updated.
    They're kind of doing it but if @MonzoPro 's experience is anything to go by then probably the window should be narrower.

Then inabitabily they'd have a storm in a tea cup of users complaining they have been cut out of the update ladder. Lose lose situation.

The issue for me is that a device still being sold three years ago, gets crippled by its own operating system.

That's not acceptable, they should have taken steps to ensure better compatibility with older devices or created a 'lite' version that skips intensive CPU requirements.

They're greedy, simple as that.

• @MonzoPro said:
    The issue for me is that a device still being sold three years ago, gets crippled by its own operating system.

That's not acceptable, they should have taken steps to ensure better compatibility with older devices or created a 'lite' version that skips intensive CPU requirements.

My iphone4 was practically a paper weight for 6 months after apple made ios7 available for it.

• @MonzoPro said:

I agree

• Old devices gained new features , extended app compatibility which was great and some people loved it. But the device runs slower and other people hate it.
    Simple solution: let people choose the OS version .

• @Korakios said:
    Old devices gained new features

I've had to switch off movement and transparency, so the UI looks worse (and runs worse), than before the update.

I'm struggling to find positives as to why they'd make this the only upgrade available for my device.

• I imagine/hope the longevity of devices will soon work in our favor. There are a growing number of older devices still in use, but running poorly because of Apple's approach to updates. This makes more customers unhappy with their otherwise still functioning Apple product, right?

Wishful thinking, I suppose... in reality if you take a software-gimped iPad 2 to Apple Store, they'll just point out how old it is and sell you the new model. :neutral:

• iPad 2, wow is that old.

I remember giving mine to my mother about 5 years ago.

As for older devices running slower with newer OS updates, I guess that Apple could have just cut that device off a long time ago, but then I suspect that there would be many people complaining that their device can no longer run and update to the newest OS version.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    iPad 2, wow is that old.

5 years in computing is a long time but I do hate the fact that stuff is not upgradeable and repairable and ends up in landfill in such a short time

I used galaxy s2 until last year but had to 'upgrade' it to s4 coz it was getting extremely slow and I couldn't find decent battery for it anymore.

What about jailbreak? Surely would work as a last resort?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:
    Old devices gained new features

I've had to switch off movement and transparency, so the UI looks worse (and runs worse), than before the update.

I'm struggling to find positives as to why they'd make this the only upgrade available for my device.

There were new apps that required iOS 9 and you can play them on an 'old' iPad 2 (regardless the slower performance)

@supadom said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    iPad 2, wow is that old.

5 years in computing is a long time but I do hate the fact that stuff is not upgradeable and repairable and ends up in landfill in such a short time

I used galaxy s2 until last year but had to 'upgrade' it to s4 coz it was getting extremely slow and I couldn't find decent battery for it anymore.

Jailbreak strangely does not apply on the latest iOS 8 and 9 versions .

• The iPad 2 has been around a long time, but Apple were still selling it just over three years ago. I tend to buy devices after they've been around a while, as they've usually ironed out any hardware problems by then.

But as they appear to be ok with the fact that any device they sell could have a lifespan of just three years, that approach is not looking like a good one for those of us with limited funds.

• @supadom said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    iPad 2, wow is that old.

Jailbeak wont work, at least not for going back to a previous version of iOS. Apple use a device specific encrypted key to determine what version you can restore

So unless you've backed up previous versions of this file, the shsh blob, it's not possible to downgrade your iOS version

• Apple may have still sold the iPad 2 just over 3 years ago, but it was old even then.

I think that it was released in 2011, that's when I bought the iPad 2.

The life cycle for the iPad 2 is actually incredibly long when you take the release year into account. To figure out the life span for an Apple device, you need to count from when it was first released, not when it was bought or last sold.

I wonder how long other tablets from 2011 lasted, like all of the countless Android tablets that were released. Some of those were obsolete within months and could never be updated to a newer OS, let alone being able to update one of them in 2017.

The fact that the iPad 2 from 2011 still gets the newest OS update is something that beats just about every other tablet on the market, when it comes to lifespan.

Buying an old model that may be "budget" has various drawbacks, lifespan being one of them. That's why it was being sold as the budget model I suppose.

@MonzoPro said:
    The iPad 2 has been around a long time, but Apple were still selling it just over three years ago. I tend to buy devices after they've been around a while, as they've usually ironed out any hardware problems by then.

But as they appear to be ok with the fact that any device they sell could have a lifespan of just three years, that approach is not looking like a good one for those of us with limited funds.

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    Apple may have still sold the iPad 2 just over 3 years ago, but it was old even then.

That's irrelevant. It was sold and advertised as a current product. If it wasn't able to perform to an acceptable standard with forthcoming system software updates for a reasonable period, then it shouldn't have been in the store.

iOS 9 was released in September 2015, just over a year after they stopped selling the iPad2. I've no idea what performance from 8x was like as I kept mine on 7x, but this means later purchasers had only a year or so of acceptable performance from their device.

• I live in India. We have bucketloads of Android devices here that never get more than 2-3 software updates. So in my opinion apple should limit the software updates till the point where the device runs poorly regardless of backlash. A 7 year software update cycle is unheard of on Android devices. Regardless of how much they cost.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I live in India. We have bucketloads of Android devices here that never get more than 2-3 software updates. So in my opinion apple should limit the software updates till the point where the device runs poorly regardless of backlash. A 7 year software update cycle is unheard of on Android devices. Regardless of how much they cost.

Well, looks like I can ditch the expensive option of an iPad replacement for him. For £50 he can have an Amazon Fire, which sounds more kid friendly anyway. And for that money I really don't mind buying a new one if the update, or lack of it knackers the device.

Apple would do well to remember we always have a choice.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/12/amazon-fire-android-tablet-review-tablet-50-pounds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• edited May 2017

@5pinlink said:

@jn2002dk said:

@supadom said:

@CrazySynthMan said:
    iPad 2, wow is that old.

Jailbeak wont work, at least not for going back to a previous version of iOS. Apple use a device specific encrypted key to determine what version you can restore

So unless you've backed up previous versions of this file, the shsh blob, it's not possible to downgrade your iOS version

Weird, if you google install unsigned IOS, there are tutorials on how to do it, I haven't tried it though, but they are there.

Unsigned meaning not signed anymore by Apple. You still need a shsh backup from the device you want to jailbreak and it must be from the iOS version you want to downgrade to