Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 2 almost unusable after updating iOS

Just thought I'd share my experience, just in case any others are considering doing this.

Monzo Jnr is attending a 'coding club', and they require an app on his iPad that only runs on iOS 8+. I've kept this on 7x for years due to warnings about bad performance for newer versions, but finally relented and updated it to the latest compatible version (9x) so he can use it for this app.

The device is now pretty much unusable - typing anything on the keyboard has such a lag as to be impossible, and apps load and run so slowly it's pretty pointless using them. Switching apps, doing anything at all is grindingly slow.

If you're thinking of doing this my advice: don't. You might be able to install newer apps, but running them will have you tearing your hair out.

Comments

• I have a mini original on 9.3.5 and its unusably slow for me with only a few apps. Safari is very frustrating. Cubasis runs well. Sunriser fine. I prefer it to my old xp asus eeepc laptop from around the same time. However I also wouldn't have upgraded from ios 8 even though 8 was a nightmare.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Just thought I'd share my experience, just in case any others are considering doing this.

Monzo Jnr is attending a 'coding club', and they require an app on his iPad that only runs on iOS 8+. I've kept this on 7x for years due to warnings about bad performance for newer versions, but finally relented and updated it to the latest compatible version (9x) so he can use it for this app.

The device is now pretty much unusable - typing anything on the keyboard has such a lag as to be impossible, and apps load and run so slowly it's pretty pointless using them. Switching apps, doing anything at all is grindingly slow.

If you're thinking of doing this my advice: don't. You might be able to install newer apps, but running them will have you tearing your hair out.

So sorry to hear you updated. I believe anything past 9.2 makes the iPad 2 slow as molasses. I know of a large number of people who've had the same experience. It's really a crying shame Apple allows anyone to update past that last good iOS version.

• Apples strategy is just like Microsofts nowadays - make every update to slow down the older devices...
    The industry wants to sell new stuff, all the time...

My iPad Pro 12.9" still feels fast, but my second one, iPad Air 2 have tendencies to slow down without reason...

• Absolutely true, and really very unfortunate.

Same thing happened to my iPad 2. It gave me an excuse to sell it on eBay and upgrade to an Air. Only cost me a few $ and I also went from 16gb to 64

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Apples strategy is just like Microsofts nowadays - make every update to slow down the older devices...
    The industry wants to sell new stuff, all the time...

My iPad Pro 12.9" still feels fast, but my second one, iPad Air 2 have tendencies to slow down without reason...

At least with other Apple and Windows devices you can revert back to the best OS version. I freeze my iOS devices at some point and just make them legacy devices.

• My iPad 2 was a great machine for a good solid 3 years. THREE years. It was a lot more limited than my iPad Air 2, and only had 64gb max, but it ran great.

Then I updated it to iOS 8, and the change in speed was literally night and day. I couldn't believe it, and I was totally pissed off. I hadn't updated it since. Didn't know how much further Apple wanted to f-ck up my iPad 2, and didn't care. Updating it any further just wasn't worth it.

This started my whole "an Android tablet will solve everything" phase, which lasted all of about 6-12 months when I realised how precious few good music apps there were in the Play Store.

Anyway, from that point onward, I took the stance of laying in the weeds before updating anything iOS. I'm still on 10.21 with my iPad Air 2 and iPhone SE, and am STILL not sure if it's safe to get 10.3.

• Everything you say it's true but...I still find it usable...
    Just take it easy, be patient. For example, with the keyboard lag you only make it worse if you go desperate and start clicking like crazy trying to make it response. I just keep typing like on any faster iOS device, everything it's registering fine... it's just that takes time to process and give you feedback. I do totally fine, same with every action you performe... everything's fine. It just takes time.

That works for me when I use my old iPad 3.
    Give up and embrace the slowness of the device... (I'm not joking) I still find usable enough...

The other option it's remain on iOS 6-7 (which is awful as well) a few days ago I had to update a friends iPad mini 1 from iOS 7, looking back there was so much stuff missing, it was really clumsy, iOS 7 looks awful on non retina displays, no new apps..., not to mentions the vulnerabilities that have been found since then...

Both options are bad. It's up to you.

• On old devices it helps a lot disabling transparency, motion fx , wifi and running apps in background .

• @Korakios said:
    On old devices it helps a lot disabling transparency, motion fx , wifi and running apps in background .

In other words, basically turning your device into the iPad equivalent of a boring Windows PC. :D

• To be fair. My iPad 3 although super sluggish works perfectly as a standalone link enabled drum machine. Patterning, softdrummer,funk drummer, future drummer or drumjam work wonderfully on it as I run other apps on my air2. Both connected to my ICA4+.

• The iPad 3 is a faster device.

As for typing more slowly, at the current rate I'd have forgotten what I was going to write by the time I got the the third word, 5 minutes later. And for an 8 year old with ADHD it's going to be unworkable.

@Korakios said:
    On old devices it helps a lot disabling transparency, motion fx , wifi and running apps in background .

I'll give that a go, thanks.

I'd read the warnings so it's my own fault. Just thought I'd reiterate it here so others don't make the same stupid mistake.

• @MonzoPro said:

Hey Monzo, I googled it and found this, hope it helps, good luck
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/ios-9-problems-fixes/

• @MonzoPro said:
    The iPad 3 is a faster device.

As for typing more slowly, at the current rate I'd have forgotten what I was going to write by the time I got the the third word, 5 minutes later. And for an 8 year old with ADHD it's going to be unworkable.

@Korakios said:

I'd read the warnings so it's my own fault. Just thought I'd reiterate it here so others don't make the same stupid mistake.

Actually weirdly enough the ipad3 is slower than the ipad2 on iOS 9.35. Gadget can only run 3 gadgets before it becomes an utter mess. The iPad 2 can easily run 4-5.. It's really that bad.

That being said it works as an aforementioned link enabled drum machine so it's not entirely retired yet.

• @Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

Thanks, I'll check that out.

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

Actually weirdly enough the ipad3 is slower than the ipad2 on iOS 9.35. Gadget can only run 3 gadgets before it becomes an utter mess. The iPad 2 can easily run 4-5.. It's really that bad.

That being said it works as an aforementioned link enabled drum machine so it's not entirely retired yet.

I think it depends what it's doing, as the iPad 3 has a faster gpu.

I'm going to try a few things - it's for Monzo Jnr's stuff anyway. Strangely Blockcraft - which I thought would run slowly, still seems playable, though it took several attempts to get it to boot up.

• Ive just followed this advice from Korakios and Ive noticed a big improvement on my mini. Thanks everyone esp @Korakios

• @Richtowns said:
    Ive just followed this advice from Korakios and Ive noticed a big improvement on my mini. Thanks everyone esp @Korakios

Me too, turning off motion and transparency has speeded things up. Still a lot slower than before updating, but more usable now.

• I agree.
    Updating it shouldnt be allowed if its going to slow down the device.
    I think it actually puts me off buying a new ipad.
    If i replaced my engine, and the car run worse i would be straight back to the garage
    These apple tactics are slowly pushing me back to desktop daws
    Every update brings more bugs.
    I think apple lost sight after ios7. Its just about the money....
    But what do i know .....
    Time to buy some more vsts me thinks

• edited May 2017

Just reread OP first posting...
    ...You'll have to take my word on it: I really do understand where you're coming from. So I don't mean to sound condescending:

But I'm not sure why people constantly forget that they're updating a computer.
    Undesirable side effects can happen when updating computers. We rather have it not be our computers that we paid good money for to acquire something negative to happen to it.

And while it's not an endorsement the 'Apple tactics' thing very well could be a marketing ploy but it's also tied to the fact that software and hardware do become obsolete over time.

It's a crappy but realistic answer: stay as close to current on hardware (as possible) and make educated decision on firmware updates.

• Guys how do you turn background apps off? Of course ones you can't see running?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

I'm going to try a few things - it's for Monzo Jnr's stuff anyway. Strangely Blockcraft - which I thought would run slowly, still seems playable, though it took several attempts to get it to boot up.

Yeah but that faster GPU is used to power the higher RES screen which the processor cannot keep up with anyway. I have an ipad3 and they are probably the worst ipad model design. They run like crap

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Guys how do you turn background apps off? Of course ones you can't see running?

Settings > General > Background App Refresh

And before starting making music airplane mode plus a soft reset is recommended ( hold power button for 5 sec, then hold the home button for 5 sec)

• @mireko_2 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

Yeah but that faster GPU is used to power the higher RES screen which the processor cannot keep up with anyway. I have an ipad3 and they are probably the worst ipad model design. They run like crap

Exactly my point. iPad 2s are just plain faster.

• I mostly use sequencer apps, Link translator apps, and usually not more than 3 at a time. Pretty good performance with both my old iPad2's. Also some sound fx apps (Studiomux, hardware interface). Maybe the graphical performance was better with earlier iOS versions, but I don't regret having updated to 9.3.5 (not sure if those brilliant sequencer apps would run on older iOS versions).

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@mireko_2 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

Luckily Samplr is such a fine tuned piece of code work that it still runs silky smooth on my ipad3. :smiley:

• @rarien said:

But I'm not sure why people constantly forget that they're updating a computer.
    Undesirable side effects can happen when updating computers. We rather have it not be our computers that we paid good money for to acquire something negative to happen to it.

That's not always the case though.

My Windows PC is about 8 years old, and still on Windows V7. I'd neglected to update it for ages, so with the new ransomware spread in mind, ran a load of updates yesterday.

Switched it back on - everything works, security and everything else bang up to date.

Hardware wise, I checked out new replacements by the same company over the weekend, and the spec has hardly changed. For £1300 I'd get a 20% speed increase I don't need, and be on Windows 10, which I don't want.

But Microsoft are allowing me to keep an old computer up to date and secure, for free. All my new and old software and external hardware works perfectly.

@rarien said:

And while it's not an endorsement the 'Apple tactics' thing very well could be a marketing ploy but it's also tied to the fact that software and hardware do become obsolete over time.

>

I realise development is running faster on the iPad than a desktop Windows PC, but is it really unrealistic to think that one of the richest companies on the planet couldn't provide an upgrade path for older devices, that would keep them secure and compatible, but not cripple usability?

I realise it would hit profits and slow down hardware upgrades, but haven't they got enough money already?

• @MonzoPro said:

I realise it would hit profits and slow down hardware upgrades, but haven't they got enough money already?

Ha.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@mireko_2 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

No, I have both (both running at 9.x) and the 3 is definitely faster in daily use. Browsing, typing, email, facebook... all pretty much impossible on the 2 and sluggish-but-bearable on the 3.

• @brambos said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@mireko_2 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Marcel said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Korakios said:

No, I have both (both running at 9.x) and the 3 is definitely faster in daily use. Browsing, typing, email, facebook... all pretty much impossible on the 2 and sluggish-but-bearable on the 3.

So strange. So it's only faster for gadget ?

• edited May 2017

@Nicebutfun said:
    I agree.
    Updating it shouldnt be allowed if its going to slow down the device.
    I think it actually puts me off buying a new ipad.
    If i replaced my engine, and the car run worse i would be straight back to the garage
    These apple tactics are slowly pushing me back to desktop daws
    Every update brings more bugs.
    I think apple lost sight after ios7. Its just about the money....
    But what do i know .....
    Time to buy some more vsts me thinks

I think the software and hardware price increases over the last year, ios bugs they don't fix (e.g. rotation), and pop up nags have brought me to the same conclusion.

It's likely I'll now stop updating the iOS on my Air 2 (before they cripple that one as well). I'll miss out on new app goodies that are 10+ only, and have to put up with pop-ups interrupting my work, but I've got more than enough to keep me happy for a few years.

My disabled son could have carried on using my iPad2 for years. Now it's knackered. Thanks for that Apple.

• So frustrating.
    These are the types of problems that would make me want to jailbreak. Problem is I'm equally bothered by the thought of wasting time on something that should not have broke.