Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Gadget has no multi-track output?!? Which Synths have this feature for multi-track recording?

At first i thought that i did something wrong and started

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/18743/multitrack-recording-with-audiobus-korg-gadget-and-multitrack-daw?new=1

But as you can read there, it seems that KORG Gadget just cannot output multiple tracks in a way that a DAW can record them live and simultaneous ...

So, is there a Synth that can do this?
If yes, i instantly drop Gadget ...

Thank you!

Comments

• A synth? Gadget isn't a synth, it's a collection of them, plus a sequencer. Do you mean is there something like Gadget that has multiple outputs, synths, and a sequencer? Auria Pro would be one I guess, though much more of a DAW than what I think you're thinking of.

• Typical usage for what you're trying to do with Gadget is to export the tracks and then import them into a DAW. Is there any reason why you specifically need this to be "live"?

• Uhm, yes, a collections of Synths and a sequencer and a little bit DAW ...
    I don´t know much other Apps, as Gadget was the first recommendation i got.

It need not to be "live", but simulaneous!

Recording a multi-track into a DAW would otherwise require to repeat the same steps over and over again, playing the same song as often as it has tracks!

:-O

• i suggest searching youtube prior to any further app purchases to get a look at exactly how they work. And if still in doubt, google "app name" manual. Because they're all going to have a least one thing you wish/expect they would do but they don't.

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

@tja said:
    Uhm, yes, a collections of Synths and a sequencer and a little bit DAW ...

Recording a multi-track into a DAW would otherwise require to repeat the same steps over and over again, playing the same song as often as it has tracks!

You can export every track from gadget in one step, then just load the resulting files in the DAW of your choice. I doubt that is more work than setting up a multiple output / recording session. But to each his own I guess.

[edit. Oops I guess, one step for each track, but it's still very quick unless you have dozens of tracks.]

Reading between the lines, it almost seems to me like you'd be better off with something like Cubasis or Auria Pro. They're DAWs, but include some of their own instruments, and can host just about any other synth in themselves directly. No need to go from one environment to another.

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

@db909:

I have no problem spending some bucks to try out apps, esp. when they got largely recommended.
    And such questions as "multi-track output possible?" are often not a topic for YouTube videos ;-)

Otherwise, you are right of course!

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

@wim said:
    Reading between the lines, it almost seems to me like you'd be better off with something like Cubasis or Auria Pro. They're DAWs, but include some of their own instruments, and can host just about any other synth in themselves directly. No need to go from one environment to another.

I already planned to get both of them, thank you!

But only in the next month, when money is over :wink:

• @tja said:
    Uhm, yes, a collections of Synths and a sequencer and a little bit DAW ...

You can use the Export option to send individual tracks or all tracks to various places (dropbox, audioshare etc) and from here import them into a daw. Works great, no need to play, record, wait, play, record, wait... etc.

• Mhh. Yes.
    But this mean 24 (or more) times other type of work - this does not feel very professional.

Or is there an iOS app that allows to import a whole folder of tracks, or a zip file?
    I never saw such....

Also, I would like to change settings on the Synths and then record the results - using file transfer, even with a zip file or an app that imports the whole folder would not really work.

If there are apps that allow to do it "professionally", I would very much prefer them!

I like things that help in a process, not burden more work onto me - even if this is just a hobby.
    If it does not work on iOS, I would even switch to desktop!

• wimwim
    edited May 2017

From what you describe, I think you're better off doing it all in a DAW. Auria Pro is the most powerful, Cubasis is slightly less powerful but somewhat easier to learn and use.

Based on several posts of yours that I've read recently, you either need to lower your expectations or switch to a PC DAW like Ableton Live. IOS music making requires a high tolerance for working around its limitations. Honestly you don't sound like that kind of person to me.

• I think, you are right. And you got the right impression about me ;-)

I will try Cubasis and Auria, and if they don't kick for me, I may have a look at desktop DAWs.

I don't like workarounds and limitations - as long as this does not cost more than a few $100. I would not pay as much as for my other hobby, photography (some DSLR's, objectives, flashes and other studio equipment collected over years sure play in a different league).

But I love making and arranging music, so I will try more things ;-)

• @tja said:
    I think, you are right. And you got the right impression about me ;-)

I will try Cubasis and Auria, and if they don't kick for me, I may have a look at desktop DAWs.

I don't like workarounds and limitations - as long as this does not cost more than a few $100. I would not pay as much as for my other hobby, photography (some DSLR's, objectives, flashes and other studio equipment collected over years sure play in a different league).

But I love making and arranging music, so I will try more things ;-)

The cheapest version of Ableon Live is $199, $499 for the Standard version. Better get used to compromises then. ;)

• I will try Cubasis and Auria first ;-)

• edited May 2017

You may be happier with Reaper on PC. Only 60$. Open file system, tons of power. Doesn't fit in your pocket though. :)

• @AudioGus said:
    You may be happier with Reaper on PC. Only 60$. Open file system, tons of power. Doesn't fit in your pocket though. :)

Thanks for that hint!

I read

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/3dftz4/free_path_ableton_live_or_reaper/

and

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1087115-live-9-vs-reaper-5-a.html

Very interesting!

• Gadget has audio tracks now so why not just consider Gadget your DAW?

On another hand, I have Gadget for Mac and Ableton Live, and I love the workflow of developing songs on Gadget iPad, exporting to Live, and having all my individual parts play the Gadgets as VSTs inside Live.

• edited May 2017

@tja
    Something that can host and sequence multiple synths/samplers, (your AU and IAA instruments) and has multiple audio outs: Modstep is worth looking at (exposes up to 8 audio outs that can be recorded into MTD or other DAW that you may own). The advantage of Modstep over other DAW that host and sequence multiple synths is live performance...it's also possible to record each stem inside Modstep

Your initial question, looking for synths that expose multiple audio outs - and have multi midi in, a channel for each voice - that's a short list: LayR, ThumbJam (not a synth, sample based). And you'd still want a sequencer or live interface to play these for recording into MTD. Modstep, Genome are sequencers that can handle sequencing and live play as you record.

• @gburks said:
    Gadget has audio tracks now so why not just consider Gadget your DAW?

On another hand, I have Gadget for Mac and Ableton Live, and I love the workflow of developing songs on Gadget iPad, exporting to Live, and having all my individual parts play the Gadgets as VSTs inside Live.

Now ...
    I just do things on my iPad now, not on PC - but Reaper is only to-check list :D
    I don´t what i can expect and what is realistic.
    I just write what i would like to have ;-)

And Gadget ...

I am happy, that it can export 24 bit audio, but not live and not to different channels.
    That prevents it working together with others apps ...
    Also, this "gadget" philosophy. I need to check 4 gadgets and over 100 presets to find the drum i like! The concept is so ... archaic ;-)

Gadget cannot even import things properly - they will be cut at 16 ticks and you need to trim the rest by hand, copying and slices them into news scenes ... do this regulary???? Noooo. Better to seek some better software.

I like apps that do the work for me, so i do not need to do things manually and in a repeating way ;-)

If Gadget could export to different channels, it would be great!
    I could just produce snippets, loops, and short sequences and record and archive them in some other DAW (that can better handle audio, manage and uses it) and mix it how i like.

From what i read, Cubasis and / or Auria could do such things better and more comfortable.

But i may also learn, that i want to much from iOS ...

• @Littlewoodg said:

<...>

Great many thanks!

Modstep, LayR, ThumbJam and Genome are on my list to be checked ;-)

• Gadget plays nicely with Cubasis. Definitely pick up AudioShare also. Great tool to have. I'd recommend those and then go from there.

• If you go from Gadget through AudioShare you need to export one track at a time (i guess because AudioShare can only import one audiofile at a time).

But, if you export from Gadget to Dropbox, you can export ALL tracks in one go, as individual files and then load them into the DAW of your choice.

Or you can export a stereo mix-down of all Gadget tracks.

• edited May 2017

iOS from the beginning for me has been different than “professional.” The apps are inexpensive and do all kinds of cool things on a mobile consumer device. What should we expect? The platform is somewhat limited, the OS is continually shifting, things work as expected, they don’t work as expected, there’s more work and workarounds than is ideal…

You have to like Gadget for what it does different than other apps, or don’t use it. For me it’s a fun and good sounding sketchpad (to my ears)… you can put together a fairly complete idea of a piece within a nice neat reliable all-in-one package you can hold in your hand, export the tracks (audio & MIDI) to DropBox (or now Gadget on Mac) and drag them into a DAW (Logic Pro for me.) Maybe archaic, but not that huge amount of work, really.

• @lovadamusic said:
    iOS from the beginning for me has been different than “professional.” The apps are inexpensive and do all kinds of cool things on a mobile consumer device. What should we expect? The platform is somewhat limited, the OS is continually shifting, things work as expected, they don’t work as expected, there’s more work and workarounds than is ideal…

You have to like Gadget for what it does different than other apps, or don’t use it. For me it’s a fun and good sounding sketchpad (to my ears)… you can put together a fairly complete idea of a piece within a nice neat reliable all-in-one package you can hold in your hand, export the tracks (audio & MIDI) to DropBox (or now Gadget on Mac) and drag them into a DAW (Logic Pro for me.) Maybe archaic, but not that huge amount of work, really.

For me the ableton export works brilliantly. I export twice once for midi and once for audio. Ableton let's you smash together the exported projects in a few clicks so I end up with both midi and wavs that I can further process on my PC.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@lovadamusic said:

For me the ableton export works brilliantly. I export twice once for midi and once for audio. Ableton let's you smash together the exported projects in a few clicks so I end up with both midi and wavs that I can further process on my PC.

Ableton Live looks very cool. It’s a big investment in time and money if one’s just getting started. Logic is also a big investment in time, as it’s quite deep. I originally chose to look into a computer DAW because Logic was so inexpensive. I was already a fairly experienced Logic user when I got into Gadget. I also like shifting to a traditional linear editor after mucking about in Gadget, but it looks like an exported project to Ableton would have advantages not possible, or as easy, when importing tracks into Logic.

• Since I learned that Gadget can export 24 bit, I always use this - even when that means I need to use Dropbox.
    And now, I even started to use 24 bit at 96kHz, as I learned in this forum ;-)

Not that it really matters for my dabblings, but I like to use the "right" work flow.

It would be great to be able to use AudioShare locally - in case it can be used with multiple files at once.

• @tja said:

It would be great to be able to use AudioShare locally - in case it can be used with multiple files at once.

It can be used if Korg just did what just about every other app does and 'zipped' the files before they are 'shared'.

Personally I don't care that much about Bits and Hz anymore as long as it 'sounds good' ;)

Just out of curiosity, what are you 'monitoring' with?
    Do you use any external audio-interfaces?

Most of the time I just jack in my ATH-M50X's to the iPad and when I need to record sounds I do it with Line6 MobileIn or iRig Mic HD. As for Midi I use my trust Korg nanoKEY Studio when needed(Love the old-school computer keyboard feel of it, reminds me so much of the C64/Amiga days, pure nostalgia).

Yeah, I'm a 'nerd' too but just as with photography it's easy to focus too much on the technology that the 'essence' gets forgotten, ie. what is the prime purpose and why am I doing it?

• @Samu said:

@tja said:

Personally I don't care that much about Bits and Hz anymore as long as it 'sounds good' ;)

Which is how it should be.

• @Samu : You're right ;-)
    And no, I monitor with nothing - just apps and the iPad.

Yesterday I installed Reaper on my Windows 7 desktop and today I got a blue screen - not sure if that corresponds or is just coincidence :-O

• @tja said:
    @Samu : You're right ;-)
    And no, I monitor with nothing - just apps and the iPad.

Not even headphones? The iPad speakers are honestly pretty bad :D

• tjatja
    edited May 2017

Ah, yes.
    Either Apple Earphones, or mostly my trusty Sennheiser HD 590 ;-)

The speakers of the iPad Pro 9.7 are better than those before :-D