Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A mystery to me: why no midi out?

I'm new to iOS apps, but one thing has nagged me from the get go: Most iOS synths receive, but do not seem to transmit midi other than clock. I've got Thor, Mitosynth, Mersenne, ReSlice, DRC and a few others that do not seem to transmit midi note data. I especially wish ReSlice had this, so I could play the arp through other synths. Of the sound creation apps I have, only Fugue Machine and FunkBox show up as a midi source in Audiobus 3. Also strange, Concentric obviously transmits midi note data, but when I look to find it as a midi source on Audiobus 3, it isn't there.

Let me know if I'm missing something very obvious - it wouldn't be the first time.

Comments

• I think most here will agree with you that there could definitely be more apps with both in and out. Sometimes it's a money thing too, like Korg would want people using Gadget to sequence other stuff cause then they'd sell less gadgets

• Some apps have MidiOut via CoreMidi but the apps that do midi using AB3 are rare.
    As I've understood the AB3 SDK is not yet widely available for developers to implement.

So it will take some time before we see more apps pop up in AB3's Midi source-list...

• edited May 2017

I've recorded MIDI out from Thor into Cubasis, while the is no control over Thor's output midi channel (that I've seen) -- the routing in Cubasis is set to All midi input.

AB3 midi is another story...apps have to be written with the new AB3 SDK...it seems like that Is a slow rollout.

• ALBALB
    edited May 2017

@db909: Sure, I did think about the money thing, though mostly in regard to programming midi out as opposed to selling more "gadgets". But then I thought it probably wouldn't cost that much more to program it - or would it?.

• @TozBourne said:
    I've recorded MIDI out from Thor into Cubasis, while the is no control over Thor's output midi channel (that I've seen) -- the routing in Cubasis is set to All midi input.

AB3 midi is another story...apps have to be written with the new AB3 SDK...it seems like that Is a slow rollout.

OK - thanks for that answer - very helpful. I guess these synths do transmit midi out, it's just not obvious.

Hope more apps support AB3 midi in the future.

• You can still work with midi enabled apps that don't yet have the AB3 midi features. You just need to load them in the Audio input and work with the midi connections as "outside" of AB3's system.

There is also the MF Adapter which can in most cases serve as a bridge to bring non-AB3 apps' Midi into AB3.

• I just wanted to mention Arpeggist, since you like the arp in Reslice

It's basically the virsyn arp like the one in Reslice but with midi out

• the only app where I really, REALLY miss Midi-Out is the virtual Fairlight (now Peter Vogel) CMI
    I just love that Sequencer, it's sooo cool

• Animoog and model 15 have some of the most complete midi implementation in ios- they will send a midi cc when you turn a knob in the app, and send a cc for all mapped controls, when you change presets.

Patterning got a nice midi update, where it can send midi notes for the drum hits as well as sending cc's that you've mapped in the app.

• OK - i'm playing around with midiflow and that provides some good workarounds and added functionality to boot.

Thanks to all who responded.

• At least SoundPrism Pro has MIDI out and in, I even use it to check which apps can be used for what ;-)

• @Processaurus said:
    Animoog and model 15 have some of the most complete midi implementation in ios- they will send a midi cc when you turn a knob in the app, and send a cc for all mapped controls, when you change presets.

Patterning got a nice midi update, where it can send midi notes for the drum hits as well as sending cc's that you've mapped in the app.

BY FAR

Genome is sweet for this.

Hit record play twist knobs and boom all recorded automation and notes.