Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What selection of Apps for a total beginner?

tjatja
edited April 2017 in App Tips and Tricks

Hello together,
this is my first posting.

About how I came here

I searched Google for information about Apps that I have and was searching more - and again and again, Google lead me to this forum ;-)

I never made music before, but sometimes I installed some Apps and played around with them.
I would like to give this a better start now ;-)

My Apps

Installed, I have those:

Beatwave
Auxy Music Studio
Medly
MiniSynth 2
Blocs Wave
Launchpad
Soundprism
GarageBand

The road to take

Then, I read lots in this forum and learned that things like MIDI in/out, IAA, AUM, AB, Audiocopy and such things should be considered. I don't even understand the differences and applications between those :-O

I would not like to start in a wrong way or ending in a blind street.
And I am willing to spend time and money to learn things and have the right Apps.

Checking my current Apps

Beatwave does not seem to support much things.
Auxy and Medly support MIDI out and some of the inter-App communication.
Blocs Wave and Launchpad also have some inter-App communication, but do not support MIDI-OUT, just Audio-out.
Soundprism and MiniSynth 2 are mostly instruments.
And GarageBand... I just not like it, as it seems.

How to start?

In a way that I always could continue what I did - in another App, another project, without losing anything and without restricting myself in the future?

And please bear with me, I just have no idea and no experience.

Currently, it seems I should try around with Auxy and / or Medly.
But some decent and compatible drum machine, bass machine and melody machine would be better, I think.

Or bigger apps?

And I know that there are Apps that seem to be able to do everything that I ever need - but I am not sure which one would be best and most compatible and future proof.

modstep, Gadget, Model 15, nanostudio?!?!?

So, any advice for a beginner?

Comments

• Beathawk!

• edited April 2017

I should start with Samplr for ease of use and lots of fun and Audioshare to share and store all your sounds.

• edited April 2017

First off, welcome to the shed. Diving straight in, as you already now there's an awful lot resident on this server which addresses most questions, technical and philosophical, that you might have, but if you were a friend sitting on my sofa asking the same questions, I would simply ask you: What are your strengths; where do you come from; what do you like; what do you aspire to do? My own (simplified) answers would be: I'm a writer, I like words; I'm a fifty-something Londoner transplanted to Texas; I am rooted in 60s and 70s rock and roll and things that came afterwards with similar roots; I aspire to make sense of my own sense of loneliness and common heartbreak. Having heard your answers I would understand you better, but also be better placed to serve your own interests rather than simply listing my own preferences....

• Korg Gadget. Today is the last day of the sale at 50% off.
    KORG Gadget by KORG INC.
    https://appsto.re/dk/NeUjV.i

• Wait for beatmaker 3 and get a bunch of AU synths and effects.

• Hi @tja ,
    I recommend getting an all-in-one app for start . If you have a computer or Android device you can try Caustic and demo the sounds . If you like it get it for iOS (it's great for the money)
    Gadget is more expensive, but many people love it. There is also a free limited version you could check.

• Auria Pro.

• Get Gadget while still on sale . I have heard tons and more great sounding stuff done with this app alone and it is incredibly fun also.

• Gadget is probably the best place to start. Plus 50% off? absolutely!

• @u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

Dude... how could you?

• tjatja
    edited April 2017

Wowwwww, that's a lot of replies already.
    Thank you!
    Currentl heading for cinema - after that I will check all those App (yes, i am Apple-based)...

If I make it in time, I will check Gadget for the 50% version.
    I seem to remember, that it is mostly closed-shop? Meaning that it does not work well with other Apps?!?

@JohnnyGoodyear: my reply to you will take a bit time, for all those details :-)

• First, welcome to the forum. Secondly, you have have a decent collection of apps, so I'm not sure that adding to it will make things any easier for you.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    ...but if you were a friend sitting on my sofa asking the same questions, I would simply ask you: What are your strengths; where do you come from; what do you like; what do you aspire to do?

This. I would also ask you what you don't like about GarageBand, as that is usually what I recommend beginners start out with because it is an all-in-one solution. 'MIDI in/out, IAA, AU, AB, Audiocopy and such things' are technologies for connecting and transferring data between apps. Generally speaking, they're not something you need to worry about when starting out.

Korg Gadget has already been recommended a few times here. That is another all-in-one solution. Maybe check out this video and see if it looks appealing since you're interested in a "compatible drum machine, bass machine and melody machine"

• So.

I am fifthy-something myself, when hearing music I like 3 things: Pop-music of the 60s, 70s and 80s, classical music like JS Bach, and electronic music... progressive house and such.

I am a computer geek and in this mostly wrong in the Apple world, as I did and do Unix (Silicon Graphics IRIX, Sun Solaris and even Linux) and Apple is wayyyy to restrictive for me.
    But having had Android, I did not like it - not professional enough :-D

Saying that, I adore technic and I like technical perfection.

That leads me to the assumption that a selection of Apps that are the very best in their topic (the BEST drum machine, the best...) would fit me better - as compared to some big App that can do most well, but is not the best in all those topics.
    The Unix-way: Do one thing, but do it right! And then combine those tools....

Did that help already?

Writing while on my way ;-)

• @Proto said:
    I should start with Samplr for ease of use and lots of fun and Audioshare to share and store all your sounds.

Samplr seems deprecated.
    Last update 2014.... not good, I think.

• @ToMess said:
    Wait for beatmaker 3 and get a bunch of AU synths and effects.

Could only find a Beat Maker Go
    :-O

• Hey tja
    I'm not going to recommend any app to you because I don't know you. My two cents is define what you want to do and say with your music and seek out those apps and do research. Sorry to break the news but there are no 'best' app in any category. You will experience buyers remorse and buyers surprise and joy in equal measures.
    Best of luck
    PS: I love JS Bach too

• I agree with those posters who have suggested the best approach is to identify your musical interests before deciding upon which apps would best serve those musical interests.

• @tja said:

@Proto said:

Samplr seems deprecated.
    Last update 2014.... not good, I think.

But, the paradox, Samplr is the best of the best (in its slot...)

• Yes, wait for BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 (which is THE iOS app i´m waiting for).
    These could be a "do it all nice" solutions without much app hopping/switching.
    But no one knows when these mystic apps will come to the crowd :)

• I'd say the device you're using is also a factor. For example, while there is no denying that Auria Pro is the most powerful digital audio workstation (DAW) on iOS, i wouldn't want to use it on anything less than an ipad air 2

You already have a good daw in Garageband. The drummer feature is excellent and it hosts audio units which means it's easy to connect to other synths and effects

In fact, one of the weak points of Garageband is it's effects so i would get some audio unit effects

If you have decided you don't like Garageband, then i'd go for either Cubasis or Auria pro. Auria, as i said above, is the most powerful of the 2 but it comes at the expense of high cpu usage and a somewhat clunky interface. Cubasis, for my money, has a better ui and workflow that's designed around a touchscreen but lacks some features

As for the rest there are so many options. We all have our favourite synths, instruments and effects. Best advice i can give is research a lot. You can get a lot of information here and then there are youtube videos so you can see them in action

• @Cib said:
    Yes, wait for BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 (which is THE iOS app i´m waiting for).

This is not directed at you, but to the community at large...

While I have no reason to believe that both of those apps won't be really good, I can't help but think there are a number of people here who are pinning their hopes on the next big thing to solve all their problems.

The problem with that is there's always a next big thing.

• @AudioGus said:

@u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

Dude... how could you?

Ha ha, only serious (and also, in before the rest)

• @telecharge said:

@Cib said:
    Yes, wait for BeatMaker 3 and NanoStudio 2 (which is THE iOS app i´m waiting for).

This is not directed at you, but to the community at large...

While I have no reason to believe that both of those apps won't be really good, I can't help but think there are a number of people here who are pinning their hopes on the next big thing to solve all their problems.

The problem with that is there's always a next big thing.

Ha, yes. Sure.
    Waiting for Logic Pro iOS.....
    But it would help if the OP says more about the kind of music and prefered workflow.

• edited May 2017
    1. Something to make sounds
    2. Something to record to
    3. Something to edit with

Garage band has all of the above, and you can work with just it, BUT if it's not your thing here's what I propose:

Audiobus & Audioshare as the backbone of connecting apps together

AUM works as well, and very well with Audioshare, and serves as an AU3 host! Audioshare has good but somewhat limited audio editing and recording. With these three apps you are halfway there.

I find that many apps are hard to use just because of the smallness of the interfaces. To solve this performance problem I'd get some of the following apps instead of trying to use the mini keyboard(s) each app provides.

Thumbjam: bonus it has great sounds of it's own
    Figure: great source of finger waving inspiration
    Xynthesizr: for sound and performance and random generation abilities

SoundPrism (any of the three) Chordpadpoly, Geosynth or GeoShred:
    Prism or Poly for banging out chords, One of the Geo's for soloing (tho Thumbjam can do it too)

You will need something to record your performance
    As stated GarageBand can do this. Other options are...
    InfiniteLooper: for midi recording and arranging
    Multitrack DAW: for recording audio

You can as suggested get an all in one app like Korg Gadget but my feeling is
    Gadget, BeatHawk, and others work better WITH the apps listed above than as standalone closed boxes. Each to his own :)

As far as sounds there is a cornucopia to choose from.
    Synths:
    Animoog Model15
    LayR DRC iOddessy iWavemachine Mitosynth

Strings and Orchestral:
    SampleTank iFretless bass/guitar iSymphonic

Drum machines:
    Any of the Machines (Rock Soft Future Funk Latin)
    DrumJam SessionDrummer Seakbeats ElasticDrums

Most of this advice and setup comes from my own. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck

• @u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

Uhh, that would be one of the last thing i would recommend to beginners.
    But it´s a great thing!

• @tja said:
    Saying that, I adore technic and I like technical perfection.

@u0421793 said:

@AudioGus said:

@u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

Dude... how could you?

Ha ha, only serious (and also, in before the rest)

Could be your instincts were spot on. :smiley:

• Will reply more later, cinema now ;-)

About hardware, I've got a iPad Pro 9,7

• @Cib said:

@u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

But it´s a great thing!

For some beginners, SunVox could be a good start as there are a lot of online tutorials that show you step by step how to learn the app. SunVox has a wide range of capabilities so a beginner can learn and explore these too.

For more established musicians who are used to traditional DAWs, SunVox would not be a good starting point since what they're used to in a DAW could make SunVox be a very disorienting experience whereas they'd be more comfortable with any of the more traditional DAW apps on iOS.

• @Cib said:

@u0421793 said:
    Sunvox

But it´s a great thing!

Maybe you're correct - a new person should indeed waste a lot of money over a period of a couple of years before returning to Sunvox and regretting spending a lot of money on a bunch of glitzy apps in various random directions when all they really needed after all was Sunvox. Best go get spending on everything out there.